What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deep Rookie Sleepers (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
Just wrapped up one of my four dynasty league rookie drafts, but in this particular one I had no picks past the fourth round. In prepping for my other three drafts, I'm finding it somewhat difficult to pin down solid sleepers in this class.

Pardon me if this is out of place, for I rarely start threads here... feel free to move if necessary :shrug:

But how about y'all rattle off a few sleepers (be it offensive or IDP) that you're eying in the later rounds of your drafts?

Thanks in advance.....

(FWIW, the rookie threads in here supplied me with some awesome info that led to a very successful rookie crop in the first league mentioned above) :cool:

I would suspect anything past the late 4th or early 5th round in a 16-teamer would probably classify as getting into the sleeper category, but that's just my opinion.

A couple i targeted this year late:

Tom Savage QB Hou. Could start sooner than expected with the QB's on that roster.

Aaron Murray QB KC Could start next year if Alex Smith isn't signed, good college career.

Brandon Coleman WR NO. In a high powered offense, Colston ain't getting younger and he is big and fast.

Kony Ealy DE Car and Scott Critchton Min Both are true DE's and went to teams that produce nice numbers from the DLine.

I like Jeff Janis. Thompson is really good at drafting receivers and the WRs seem to develop well. Jones and Nelson weren't out of the box smashes. Janis has great measurables, he is just raw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Jeff Janis. Thompson is really good at drafting receivers and the WRs seem to develop well. Jones and Nelson weren't out of the box smashes. Janis is great measurables, he is just raw.
Was faced with this concept when I was between Benjamin and Adams at the end of the first round of a rookie draft. Adams has crazy skills but I think he may be getting overdrafted due to the situation. Perhaps better to target a guy like this way later. Nice call.

I second the Brandon Coleman pick for the same reasons basically.

I'd add Shaq Evans (Jets) because of the lack of talent in front of him.

I'd also add Tim Cornet (Arizona) because of the lack of talent in front of him.

Lets see...

QB: Logan Thomas - Cardinals - He may never put it together but he's a really solid late round prospect who, if he refines his game, could hit big. Plus he's behind and aging Palmer. He'll have a year or two to sit and be taught by Palmer and Arians though which could help big.

RB: Jerick McKinnon - Vikings - Kid has some insane measurables. And he could see a bit of playing time this season behind AP. Last season there were about 80 carries split up between Asiata and Gerhart. Granted Peterson sat for 2 games from injury. But I'd say he's a half decent chance to see another ankle sprain type injury and sit another game or two. McKinnon could get a chance to really show his stuff.

WR: Jeremy Gallon - Patriots - There's not that much competition in front of him being that Amendola can't stay healthy and Thompkins and Dobson showed extremely lackluster and inconsistent hands last season. And he fits that Welker/Amendola mold.

WR: L'Damian Washington - Cowboys - Huge guy (6'4) a little thing at 188lbs but has 4.46 speed and honestly I don't think there's much competition for the 3rd WR spot in Dallas behind Williams and Bryant. If he has a good camp he could win a roster spot and put up some decent numbers as a number 3/4 guy in Dallas.

Dri Archer, steelers, cause he can play, rb, slot, return kicks. Maybe bump Steelers Def/ST up if they are draftable in your league.

If Bell gets rung this year and misses time, Archer should be the 3rd down back and maybe good for 3-5 catches for 30-50 yard and with 4.2 speed, maybe a home run.

Talking 7th rd pick here in rookie/FA draft.

Why not just ask, "will you do my homework?"
What, exactly, do you think the purpose of this forum is?
Usually, respectful posters pose these questions and also offer some information. Like "I'm looking for some deep sleepers. Here are some guys I like. Who do you like?"

Also there are countless threads on sleepers and deep sleepers in this forum. All you have to do is scroll and read. Endless info on here.

Threads like this bother me because, and nothing against the OP, it makes it seem as if you are too lazy to do a little reading and research of your own. At least offer others some tidbits of info on players you like prior to getting information handed to you. I think that's the reason there are so few responses to this question...

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
massraider said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Usually, respectful posters pose these questions and also offer some information. Like "I'm looking for some deep sleepers. Here are some guys I like. Who do you like?"

Also there are countless threads on sleepers and deep sleepers in this forum. All you have to do is scroll and read. Endless info on here.

Threads like this bother me because, and nothing against the OP, it makes it seem as if you are too lazy to do a little reading and research of your own. At least offer others some tidbits of info on players you like prior to getting information handed to you. I think that's the reason there are so few responses to this question...
You know what bothers me even more than stuff like this thread? Non-constructive posts inside a thread complaining about how non-construtive the thread is... if you don't like the subject matter then simply ignore the thread. Let the rest of the community decide if they like it or not. Either it gets hundreds of posts and rides the front page for a few days or it gets 3 posts and dies into the thousands of other threads that came before it.

:violin: :deadhorse:

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
massraider said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:

You know what bothers me even more than stuff like this thread? Non-constructive posts inside a thread complaining about how non-construtive the thread is... if you don't like the subject matter then simply ignore the thread. Let the rest of the community decide if they like it or not. Either it gets hundreds of posts and rides the front page for a few days or it gets 3 posts and dies into the thousands of other threads that came before it.

:violin: :deadhorse:
You mean like you just did, Pot?

Yes. Shame on me for trying to improve the Shark Pool!

Yeah, I think in the later rounds it is like throwing $#!& at the wall and seeing if anything sticks........ In these cases, I will look for someone who might be a capable clear backup behind an aging or shaky starter.

I like the mention of Jerick McKinnon. He intrigues me if he wins the backup job behind a 29 year old Peterson. He may not be special, but neither is Asiata and he did ok when needed.

Dri Archer is another one, I like that call as well.

I am not a fan of Savage, but I will keep an eye on him as well.

steelcityman said:
Dri Archer, steelers, cause he can play, rb, slot, return kicks. Maybe bump Steelers Def/ST up if they are draftable in your league.

If Bell gets rung this year and misses time, Archer should be the 3rd down back and maybe good for 3-5 catches for 30-50 yard and with 4.2 speed, maybe a home run.

Talking 7th rd pick here in rookie/FA draft.
He just changed from an RB's uniform number to a WR's.

IDP-wise, Christian Kirksey is going way later than he should. I was able to get him at 5.4 in a 1.5 pt per tackle league.

John Brown -- won't be on anybody's draft list even though he was a 3rd round pick and seems like he'll be the #3 WR on the Cardinals.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2014/05/15/cardinals-rookie-wr-john-brown-exceeding-expectations/9154103/
how often will the cards run three WR's though? niklas is likely staying in-line to block so I'm not worried about that. Rather that the slot WR isn't going to get much burn, y'know? he's in the role, i know, but is it valuable?

John Brown -- won't be on anybody's draft list even though he was a 3rd round pick and seems like he'll be the #3 WR on the Cardinals.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2014/05/15/cardinals-rookie-wr-john-brown-exceeding-expectations/9154103/
how often will the cards run three WR's though? niklas is likely staying in-line to block so I'm not worried about that. Rather that the slot WR isn't going to get much burn, y'know? he's in the role, i know, but is it valuable?
I'm not sure, but any guy that looks like he's pretty much locked in as the 3rd WR on a team should be drafted and he's being undrafted or drafted in the 5-6th round of drafts.

I'm not sold on John Brown's talent, but I'm tempted to draft him just so I can say "glory, glory, hallelujah" whenever he scores a TD.

I'm not sure where they're going right now but I have these two targeted.

Lyerla TE in GB

Kirksey LB in Cle

I'm not sure, but any guy that looks like he's pretty much locked in as the 3rd WR on a team should be drafted and he's being undrafted or drafted in the 5-6th round of drafts.
Really? This is touched on in drafting philosophies out there but I'd rather reach for a lottery ticket. If the argument was that the #3 WR is auditioning, the obvious handcuff or whatever to take over then I think it has merit. But, for me, roster space is too valuable to dedicate for a player who might not even be worth a bye-week cover. He's replacing Andre Roberts, right? Think about that for a minute.

Garoppolo, Jimmy NEP QB ® - hes been falling pretty late
I've been thinking about making him Mr. Irrelevant in one league, but even if he IS Brady's successor in 2-3 years...is he going to be worth much? Belichick has been pretty awful at surrounding Brady with talent since the Gronk/Hernandez draft. What is the QB play in NE going to be worth when it's NOT Tom Brady?I'm considering going Murray instead just because he'll get an opportunity sooner with Smith possibly/probably on the outs in KC.

I targeted and hit Storm Johnson, Abbrederis and McKinnon.

I targeted, but missed, Janis, so I took Taliaferro. If I had known Lylera was in Green Bay I'd have picked him instead.

I've been thinking about making him Mr. Irrelevant in one league, but even if he IS Brady's successor in 2-3 years...is he going to be worth much? Belichick has been pretty awful at surrounding Brady with talent since the Gronk/Hernandez draft. What is the QB play in NE going to be worth when it's NOT Tom Brady?I'm considering going Murray instead just because he'll get an opportunity sooner with Smith possibly/probably on the outs in KC.
Logan Thomas is my late round QB flyer, FWIW.

I targeted, but missed, Janis, so I took Taliaferro. If I had known Lylera was in Green Bay I'd have picked him instead.
I looked over some of the rookie drafts that have been posted and Lylera is flying up boards. Went from him being undrafted to early 6th to early 3rd. Seems he's not much of "deep sleeper" anymore.

I like Jeff Janis. Thompson is really good at drafting receivers and the WRs seem to develop well. Jones and Nelson weren't out of the box smashes. Janis is great measurables, he is just raw.
Was faced with this concept when I was between Benjamin and Adams at the end of the first round of a rookie draft. Adams has crazy skills but I think he may be getting overdrafted due to the situation. Perhaps better to target a guy like this way later. Nice call.
Wasn't Jared Abbrederis

Drafted two rounds ahead of Janis so the better late sleeper would be Jared Abbrederis over Janis right?

I looked over some of the rookie drafts that have been posted and Lylera is flying up boards. Went from him being undrafted to early 6th to early 3rd. Seems he's not much of "deep sleeper" anymore.
I'm in an idp league, but I wouldn't have considered him until after McKinnon went off the board. That was the last pick of the fourth. I'd be fine with either him or Janis, who went with the last pick of the fifth. I see similar upside and likelihood of amounting to anything with both even though they could not be much more different.

Wasn't Jared Abbrederis

Drafted two rounds ahead of Janis so the better late sleeper would be Jared Abbrederis over Janis right?
Janis has a higher ceiling, so for fantasy may be a more desirable target. I think Abbrederis will be a starter for the Pack, but I am the minority, if you don't think he is a likely starter then Janis is probably a better dice roll.

Wasn't Jared Abbrederis

depends on what you are looking for. Janis has the higher ceiling, and the lower floor. Jared the opposite. They are also two different receivers - Jared is more of a slot weapn, while Janis will be outside.

I think Stephen Houston could develop into something. :shrug:
good call. Vereen isn't completely healthy yet, and Ridley is seemingly always in the corner by himself. Bolden is always in the picture, but he's never really accomplished anything. White is more in Vereen's mold.

Houston seems like a nice lottery ticket.

Brady turns 37 this yr, how long can he possible have?

As Conn said... Brady probably has 2-3 years left. You figure he'll probably retire at 39-40. Which is when 'most' QBs retire. If they can still play and they still love the game, most of them see no reason to retire yet.

As Conn said... Brady probably has 2-3 years left. You figure he'll probably retire at 39-40. Which is when 'most' QBs retire. If they can still play and they still love the game, most of them see no reason to retire yet.
and Brady will probably the be the only one to start and finish with the same team

KellysHeroes said:
Khy said:
KellysHeroes said:
and Brady will probably the be the only one to start and finish with the same team
Okay... agreed. But I'm kind of confused as to where you're going with these posts. ConnSkins is saying that Brady isn't surrounded by much talent. He has Gronk there and that's it. So when Brady leaves and Garoppolo takes over the reins... how do we know what Garoppolo does? Also don't forget, it's possible that Bellichick pulls a Parcells and just retire with Brady then maybe come back a few years later with a different team.

Point is, grabbing Brady's successor isn't necessarily a good thing.

KellysHeroes said:
Khy said:
KellysHeroes said:
Okay... agreed. But I'm kind of confused as to where you're going with these posts. ConnSkins is saying that Brady isn't surrounded by much talent. He has Gronk there and that's it. So when Brady leaves and Garoppolo takes over the reins... how do we know what Garoppolo does? Also don't forget, it's possible that Bellichick pulls a Parcells and just retire with Brady then maybe come back a few years later with a different team.

Point is, grabbing Brady's successor isn't necessarily a good thing.
I agree, even though hes the highest pick QB for the Pats in a longtime I doubt he'll be the guy once Brady is done. As far as surronded by talent I'm not too woriied, the Pats would find a way to play to Jimmy's strength's if need be.

I ended up taking Mettenberger over Garappoplo, Murray, McCarron, etc. as the last pick in one league. All he's got in front of him is Locker, he fits Wisenhunts downfield passing game, and he's a statute, but the Titans are building a great OL.

I ended up taking Mettenberger over Garappoplo, Murray, McCarron, etc. as the last pick in one league. All he's got in front of him is Locker, he fits Wisenhunts downfield passing game, and he's a statute, but the Titans are building a great OL.
I've been targeting Mettenberger in the later rounds of my drafts. Great point about the OL. If given ample time, Mettenberger's cannon is deadly. Justin Hunter and Kendall Wright could be HUGE in a few years (they could be regardless of Mettenberger's success, too).

As for Garappolo, could it be that the Pats simply opted to grab the value where they could and think he'll be a tradable piece in a few years? Did it with Cassel, possibly doing it with Mallett... :shrug:

Another late round QB I am looking at if Mettenberger gets swiped is Murray. The kid is a winner and any QB in the Andy Reid system will improve. I'm not an Alex Smith believer and Gil Brandt is convinced that Murray could be the "next Drew Brees".

I've been targeting Mettenberger in the later rounds of my drafts. Great point about the OL. If given ample time, Mettenberger's cannon is deadly. Justin Hunter and Kendall Wright could be HUGE in a few years (they could be regardless of Mettenberger's success, too).

As for Garappolo, could it be that the Pats simply opted to grab the value where they could and think he'll be a tradable piece in a few years? Did it with Cassel, possibly doing it with Mallett... :shrug:

Another late round QB I am looking at if Mettenberger gets swiped is Murray. The kid is a winner and any QB in the Andy Reid system will improve. I'm not an Alex Smith believer and Gil Brandt is convinced that Murray could be the "next Drew Brees".
Totally agree on Garoppolo.

Murray isn't the next Drew Brees because he doesn't have anything close to Brees' arm. He's actually a lot like Alex Smith. If Smith were to go down, you wouldn't notice much difference.

Users who are viewing this thread