What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Countertops - Granite, Quartz, Other? (1 Viewer)

Random

Footballguy
We're getting ready to start a small kitchen remodel and replace the laminate countertops. We are looking into granite, quartz, and maybe the other stuff like Corian. Any experiences with these?

We're also wanting input on going with a big box vs a subcontractor.

Granite - and used a small batch person who came highly recommended, did a great job and was less expensive than the big box bid.

The wife is happy with them... and it seems to have visibly enhanced her life.

The food all tastes the same to me as when we had crappy laminate countertops and I don't feel like I've achieved a greater social standing or anything.

The financial magazines tell me I'll recoup much of this "investment" when I sell but I have some serious doubts about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corian is pricey. Granite's your best bet, IMO- depending on the granite (for color and texture). Get it honed finish.

Obviously stay away from more porous options like marble and concrete (although they both look great) due to upkeep/staining.

Quartz -don't ever need to be sealed, but if is in direct sunlight will fade over time.

Granite- needs to be sealed and re-sealed every so often.

Quartz.

Granite is cheesy.
cheesier than quartz?
:shrug:

I think a solid-toned quartz looks clean, modern and sophisticated. Granite is overly busy and doesn't really fit stylistically into 90% of kitchens. It's also a bit dated from the last decade, in my opinion.
You got a pic of something like this?
This link shows a variety of options for quartz, but there are plenty of solid tones in here as well: http://www.houzz.com/quartz-countertop

I bought a house with stainless steel countertops which I've really grown to love. You need an overall industrial modern aesthetic to pull it off though.

I bought a house with stainless steel countertops which I've really grown to love. You need an overall industrial modern aesthetic to pull it off though.
Stainless is tough though... more like stainFULL, amirite?

Still not a fan of quartz, but to each their own. And yeah, most granite's not so great- but if you find the right slab.. abondanza.

Have quartz, with no complaints.

Always liked concrete countertops as not many people have them and think they have a very cool look. Of course modern design. Not sure what the disadvantages/advantages are of concrete.
concrete can be great looking. when I haven't used marble, I use concrete. but it's pricey and stains easily (and requires resealing frequently).

We're going with Caesarstone in our bathroom remodel. The biggest reason is that the maintenance is low, and it's got a nice sparkle that goes with the rest of the bathroom. I don't know that you can really go wrong with any of these as long as you maintain them as prescribed.

Still not a fan of quartz, but to each their own. And yeah, most granite's not so great- but if you find the right slab.. abondanza.
I don't cook much and I'm pretty clean, so I haven't had any issues with the stainless steel nor did the prior owners (who cooked daily).

Are there reasons why you don't like quartz?

Always liked concrete countertops as not many people have them and think they have a very cool look. Of course modern design. Not sure what the disadvantages/advantages are of concrete.
concrete can be great looking. when I haven't used marble, I use concrete. but it's pricey and stains easily (and requires resealing frequently).
concrete is awesome. We almost did concrete when we did our countertops. Its also super heavy.

This will sound dumb but from experience.

look at the granite from every angle and rub your hands across most of the slab.

we went looking found a piece that looked great in the wearhouse. Once it was installed it was "rough" and had many fissures

I don't cook much and I'm pretty clean, so I haven't had any issues with the stainless steel nor did the prior owners (who cooked daily).

don't like the look- usually looks cheap to me. :shrug:

but it's definitely more distinctive than most granite- which can also look cheap.

I've done one full stainless kitchen (but with marble counters)- that thing required constant wiping to hide smudges and fingerprints.

but it's definitely more distinctive than most granite- which can also look cheap.

I've done one full stainless kitchen (but with marble counters)- that thing required constant wiping to hide smudges and fingerprints.
Oh, ya, but I'm a clean freak... constant wiping is already part of my daily routine. :lol:

Oh, ya, but I'm a clean freak... constant wiping is already part of my daily routine. :lol:
knuckle?

knuckle?
W/baby wipe.

Huh, didn't know this was even an option. Going to put it in my back pocket for the next house. Looks like many feel they aren't ideal in a kitchen, but I could see a nice big DIY grilling area or something.

Huh, didn't know this was even an option. Going to put it in my back pocket for the next house. Looks like many feel they aren't ideal in a kitchen, but I could see a nice big DIY grilling area or something.
I've done 2 or 3 of them. They look great- but they will stain and they're expensive.

When we moved we went from Corian to Granite. I did not like the Corian (it was a weird off white), but it could burn if you put a pot on it and looked dated...our new house has a pretty busy pattern (honestly, I could care less), but my favorite was when my wife and I got our first home...we installed 12x12 granite tiles...cheaper than granite slabs, and looked pretty sharp.

Love the natural flows in granite. Quartz and corian look too uniform. go sub contractor. Usually, you can go to the granite yard and pick the slab out yourself. Stay away from the detailed edge designs as they will tend to chip over time. Do you have a "small" kitchen? Bacause there is no such thing as a "small" kitchen remodel. Be prepared for scope creep.

Quartz -don't ever need to be sealed, but if is in direct sunlight will fade over time.

I had granite in two different apartments in Brazil (each for five years) and they were never resealed. Looked as good the day I moved in as when I moved out.

I had granite in two different apartments in Brazil (each for five years) and they were never resealed. Looked as good the day I moved in as when I moved out.
This. I resealed the granite in our previous home. Its easy and only takes a few minutes.

I have quartz in our master bath and granite in our kitchen. Both are more than adequate from a functional standpoint and very low maintenance in the grand scheme of things. I prefer the look of the quartz over the granite.

Users who are viewing this thread