What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GoPro - anyone have one? (1 Viewer)

Banger

Footballguy
Going to Alaska for a couple weeks at the end of the month and was considering getting one of these for the glacier hikes and such. I've heard good things about them but wanted to see if anyone had first hand knowledge of them and attachments that may be useful and ones to avoid.

For those of you that haven't seen it...it's pretty sick. http://gopro.com/

I have the original from when they first came out. Used it for dirt bike races... They're everything they're cracked up to be. The newer versions may have improved on this since the launch, but the only complaint I had was the wide angle lens cuts down on the clarity at longer distance. Anything past 20yds is pretty much out of the picture.

Just got one last week and love it so far.

I bought these at the same time

Accessories

Case

Suggested Info: Forums Vids: Initial Setup - Initial Setup 2

The app for your phone is fantastic. The first thing I did was hook up the GP to one of the dogs using the chest harness from the above linked accessory package. I then let him run around and monitored it via the phone. When I saw something interesting I started to record, worked flawlessly.

Accessories

Case

The app for your phone is fantastic. The first thing I did was hook up the GP to one of the dogs using the chest harness from the above linked accessory package. I then let him run around and monitored it via the phone. When I saw something interesting I started to record, worked flawlessly.
That's pretty fn cool.

Accessories

Case

I was debating the chest harness but was going to go with the headstrap....probably good to have both I'd imagine.

Wow, that is a sweet accessory kit....I was looking on the gopro site and the chest harness alone is the price of all the accessories combined. Great find...thanks for posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accessories

Case

I was debating the chest harness but was going to go with the headstrap....probably good to have both I'd imagine.

Wow, that is a sweet accessory kit....I was looking on the gopro site and the chest harness alone is the price of all the accessories combined. Great find...thanks for posting.
The thing about the head strap is that it may give you a headache if you wear it for too long. I loosened it a bit but then I feared it might come off.

Picked one up from costco (best deal going right now) for our maui trip which ended yesterday.

Unbelievable shots with this thing. Accessories are a must, I highly recommend the clamp and arm. We used it on the car for the coastal drives and the atvs. Just awesome videos.

Buy handheld "selfie" monopod that collapses. I got the xshot. Extremely handy, excellent shots. At first I wasn't into the "selfie" style, but it's just awesome.

If you'll be near any water but some sort of float or lanyard as insurance.

Don't go cheap on the memory card. 64g seems right, must be class 10 or better.

You MUST have extra batteries and take them with you. We were getting roughly 1-1.5hrs from each battery. Less with wifi on. I bought a nice wasabi set from amazon.

Practice some before you're on the trip. A buddy thought he was recording a couple times but wasn't and missed some cool stuff.

The software and editing I'm just now getting into. But everyone that was skeptical when I bought it love the videos.

All the different accessories add up quick, but when you see the results you'll be happy with it.

Picked one up from costco (best deal going right now) for our maui trip which ended yesterday.

Unbelievable shots with this thing. Accessories are a must, I highly recommend the clamp and arm. We used it on the car for the coastal drives and the atvs. Just awesome videos.

Buy handheld "selfie" monopod that collapses. I got the xshot. Extremely handy, excellent shots. At first I wasn't into the "selfie" style, but it's just awesome.

If you'll be near any water but some sort of float or lanyard as insurance.

Don't go cheap on the memory card. 64g seems right, must be class 10 or better.

You MUST have extra batteries and take them with you. We were getting roughly 1-1.5hrs from each battery. Less with wifi on. I bought a nice wasabi set from amazon.

Practice some before you're on the trip. A buddy thought he was recording a couple times but wasn't and missed some cool stuff.

The software and editing I'm just now getting into. But everyone that was skeptical when I bought it love the videos.

All the different accessories add up quick, but when you see the results you'll be happy with it.
which clamp and arm did you get for the car/atv?

Are people using these for photos or video? From a technical standpoint they look awesome and I get the draw for extreme athletes making highlight videos, I'm just not sure what video I'd make with it that I'd ever want to watch again.

My buddy has one and brings it with him every time we go skiing or mountain biking. Dude must have 10tb worth of footage and the only time we've ever actually watched any of it is when someone had a nasty crash and in that case the person filming is usually bouncing around too much to see anything.

I can't imagine ever wanting to watch a video of a hike I took, and for photos they make weatherproof cameras now for a third the price of a gopro.

Are people using these for photos or video? From a technical standpoint they look awesome and I get the draw for extreme athletes making highlight videos, I'm just not sure what video I'd make with it that I'd ever want to watch again.

My buddy has one and brings it with him every time we go skiing or mountain biking. Dude must have 10tb worth of footage and the only time we've ever actually watched any of it is when someone had a nasty crash and in that case the person filming is usually bouncing around too much to see anything.

I can't imagine ever wanting to watch a video of a hike I took, and for photos they make weatherproof cameras now for a third the price of a gopro.
This is a good point. The key to any home video is the editing (which I enjoy). You cant just shoot continuous footage of one "thing" and expect to have something that you (or anyone else) will ever want to sit down and watch again (unless of course, you catch a blooper of some sort). Your home video should be more like a SHORT story and the b-roll footage is just as (if not more) important in telling that story. Like pretty much everything else, you wont get good at it unless you practice, and you wont practice unless you really enjoy doing it.

It's great swimming in pools, boogie boarding in the ocean which you can't do with regular cameras/video cameras. I did some great POV video when I was in Alaska...I had the camera on an extension pole and when we were on a train I was in the caboose and was able to hang it out over the side and it was amazing with the huge gulches and sheer walls...camera was inches away at times as we were moving along. Also, hung it out the window when we were in Denali National park looking down at probably 500 foot straight down drops..also, took helicopters to some glaciers which was pretty amazing too.....incredible stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just purchased the three-way and chest mount for a trip to Cambodia and Laos at the end of the year. Anything else I need? We'll be riding elephants, scooters, walking around temples, and diving into water falls.
I have the chest mount and I'm not crazy about it. Used it once for a Zombie Run and found the footage shaky and difficult to follow. Mainly bc it was on my center chest and I turned my head to look at something, the view from my body was still straight on. So I didn't record some of what I "saw"

I would recommend the head one, but you just look like a putz wearing it

I usually use my phone for pics and video. But these seem to be all the rage. thinking about getting one of these. Any feedback on which model?

I usually use my phone for pics and video. But these seem to be all the rage. thinking about getting one of these. Any feedback on which model?
Just purchased my first one about an hour ago on Amazon. Did tons of research and seriously considered buying one used on Craigslist but decided to buy a new one and went with the Hero 4 Silver. Has the LCD touchscreen which is supposed to really make the useability much easier which is one of the draw backs of the GoPro. Added two additional batteries and some extra brackets.

Just purchased my first one about an hour ago on Amazon. Did tons of research and seriously considered buying one used on Craigslist but decided to buy a new one and went with the Hero 4 Silver. Has the LCD touchscreen which is supposed to really make the useability much easier which is one of the draw backs of the GoPro. Added two additional batteries and some extra brackets.
Let me know what you think about it. Thinking about grabbing one for my honeymoon and wedding.

Let me know what you think about it. Thinking about grabbing one for my honeymoon and wedding.
Dude, my inbox is empty.

Dude, my inbox is empty.
:unsure:

I bought the Hero 4 Silver a few months ago. I first bought a knockoff GoPro and it wasn't anywhere near the quality I was looking for. The new GoPro takes really great video, decent pictures, and has a ton of extra features like time lapse, night lapse, long exposure pictures, etc. You have the option of turning off the wide angle video which, for me, makes it much more versatile than some of the older models. I have three young kids who do a ton of swimming, and the underwater quality is spectacular. And as others have mentioned, the sync with your phone has a ton of advantages, but the wifi feature does crush battery life.

I wouldn't recommend using a GoPro exclusively for pictures and videos, but it can get shots you aren't going to get with newer smart phones or another style of camera.

Have had Hero 4 Silver for a couple days now and really like it. I purchased the "Moto" bundle on Amazon and have had to purchase some additional items such as more screws, adhesive plates, bigger SD card, additional batteries, etc. The Hero 4 Silver has the LCD back screen which makes the functionality of the unit much easier then the other models. My unit came with the 32GB sd card which will give you about 90 minutes of recording at 1080 therefore I upgraded to a 64gb. The battery lasts about two hours so I purchased a couple backups. My main function will be to use it to record while I am dirt bike riding and will need a couple backups while in the woods.

I have found Youtube to be a wealth of information learning all the ins and outs of the unit and feel like I have barely scratched the surface thus far.

Two thumbs up two days in. :)

Have had Hero 4 Silver for a couple days now and really like it. I purchased the "Moto" bundle on Amazon and have had to purchase some additional items such as more screws, adhesive plates, bigger SD card, additional batteries, etc. The Hero 4 Silver has the LCD back screen which makes the functionality of the unit much easier then the other models. My unit came with the 32GB sd card which will give you about 90 minutes of recording at 1080 therefore I upgraded to a 64gb. The battery lasts about two hours so I purchased a couple backups. My main function will be to use it to record while I am dirt bike riding and will need a couple backups while in the woods.

I have found Youtube to be a wealth of information learning all the ins and outs of the unit and feel like I have barely scratched the surface thus far.

Two thumbs up two days in. :)
Hey man how are you still liking this?  Buying soon / going swimming with manatees. 

Hey man how are you still liking this?  Buying soon / going swimming with manatees. 
Still really like it.  The LCD back screen has made all the difference and I have found the free GoPro Studio editing software to be very good.  Again, youtube has been a wealth of information for me.  

Zero regrets buying it.  

I actually have the black not silver if that matters. What is the best setting for filming hiking and some swimming/waterfall jumps. I want to attach the gopro to myself as I jump off waterfalls. Hoping it does not turn into a faces of death film. :oldunsure:

Wife got me a GoPro 5 Black.  I'm new to these things and I see they have a GoPro 6 now and the difference is about 100 bucks.  Basically they lowered the price on the 6 to a point where it seems it might be worth it for me to just upgrade as I haven't even opened my 5.

However some reviews on the 6 show concerns over glitches and things.  Other reviews are glowing.  Amazon ratings on the 5 are higher than the 6 but part of that seems to stem from initial feedback when the 6 first came out and some of those issues appear to have been ironed out.

Anybody here have any input?

Users who are viewing this thread