What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clash of Clans (Official thread) (6 Viewers)

I feel like this update would have been great for me about a year ago. I've been much more casual now mostly b/c of work and this may drive me away as I'm usually raiding once in the morning and 2-3 at night if I'm lucky.

Freeze spell available at TH9
That sucks. What level does it go to?
Why are you against this?
Because TH9 is pretty damn good as is.
I like it b/c its one more thing you can upgrade at TH9 and not at TH10. I don't think it changes much at lvl 1.
Not sure how they are going to work this. Right now when you upgrade to Spell Factory L5, you get freeze and 11 spots. An extra spell spot at TH9 would ruin it. I'm guessing it'll just come with Spell Factory L4 now?

That sucks. What level does it go to?
Why are you against this?
Because TH9 is pretty damn good as is.
I like it b/c its one more thing you can upgrade at TH9 and not at TH10. I don't think it changes much at lvl 1.
Not sure how they are going to work this. Right now when you upgrade to Spell Factory L5, you get freeze and 11 spots. An extra spell spot at TH9 would ruin it. I'm guessing it'll just come with Spell Factory L4 now?
This is what they said in the notes.

Yeah, it looks like L4 Spell Factory unlocks both Jump and Freeze. L5 Spell Factory just gives the extra spell slots...unless they add a new spell in a future sneak peak for TH10 :cool:

Not sure which townhall is more useless now TH7 or TH9. What's really sad is that they are taking away the incentive to war at TH9, but you still have 50 hero levels to get through, now without the benefit of free shields to protect DE.

There's now an extreme migration to TH10 in progress in the rwcs and others. It's those at really low hero th9s that are really going to take it in the ### if they don't add something big at TH10. Right now TH10 has gotten nothing that TH9 doesn't have.

How has TH9 become useless?
It's going to be a drag rush screen lick and 3 star. 4 zaps 2 eq some dragons, loons, hounds, maybe a CB and it's 3. It's going to be the asian nuke every single raid. No reason to worry about queen or the cc, just pick the right air d and flatten it, if they set their air d too deep then queen walk for the free 30 seconds to clear some room then start it.

At least at TH8 there is a tiny bit of balance. I mean hogs can trash any base first hit but you got to know what you are doing at least a little bit. There are some fairly solid anti drag bases at th8 now so it's fairly balanced.

The worst MWC nightmare was TH9 would get unbalanced in all this. I think that's come to pass, what's amazing is TH10 has nothing yet new.

Oh, just wildly overreacting. Got it.
You don't think air just got a monster boost in this? One that wasn't really needed?

I think most would have preferred to leave TH9 alone altogether. It was nearly completely perfect as is. Adding TH11 CC contents was probably going to tip it as it was. 30s another half spell and (freeze?) + new CC. A little much.

Just think about the shuke account for a minute. Shuke can asian nuke off two air d, pull the cc to the edge kill with heroes and pent hound any th9, all the way to max and there is absolutely no stopping it. Shukes already just plowing through bases taking down queen+AirD and a pent as is. Now won't really have to worry about the queen. She'll be hammering a level 4 hound while drags give her a tan.

You don't think air just got a monster boost in this? One that wasn't really needed?

I think most would have preferred to leave TH9 alone altogether. It was nearly completely perfect as is. Adding TH11 CC contents was probably going to tip it as it was. 30s another half spell and (freeze?) + new CC. A little much.
It does seem overreactive to say anything has been unbalanced, much less 'nightmares are coming true', when so much of the information has yet to be released.

It does seem overreactive to say anything has been unbalanced, much less 'nightmares are coming true', when so much of the information has yet to be released.
They would need to add more defense to TH9 to balance it at this point. Or at a minimum add HP to air defense to balance TH9 back to where it was before. It wouldn't take much, like 50HP to shut down the asian nukes.

They would need to add more defense to TH9 to balance it at this point. Or at a minimum add HP to air defense to balance TH9 back to where it was before. It wouldn't take much, like 50HP to shut down the asian nukes.
Just relax and let it all shake out. We'll see what happens.

Extra Archer Tower, Cannon, Wizard Tower, Xbow available at TH11
Anyone going to TH11, don't put down that extra Xbow imo.
This is sarcasm, right?
Not really. I still haven't built the 3rd TH10 XBow :shrug:
The single most damaging advice ever offered in this thread still has life? Really?

That myth was busted quite some time ago.

Deliberately hindering your xbow development does not help your clan, it hurts it. And it certainly doesn't confer any benefit outside of war.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not really. Drags are so bloody slow that going in with zero spells probably won't work too well even against just 2 AD. A lock for 2 with a very outside chance at 3 but that's about it.

I agree they don't need to touch TH9 but this isn't much of a game changer.

Not really. Drags are so bloody slow that going in with zero spells probably won't work too well even against just 2 AD. A lock for 2 with a very outside chance at 3 but that's about it.

I think you guys get so many TH10s that you don't see the dominant bully strategy. But they've basically for the moment gifted that to TH9 as an equal strategy with no balance. You don't really need drags. A straight pent with two air d down will be plenty even with a live queen. I would just use drags to save the dark elixer because either way it's a dead base and DE is going to be hard enough to get as is.

I'm pushing the TH10 button now.
I pray with all my heart & soul this is true

This is sarcasm, right?
The single most damaging advice ever offered in this thread still has life? Really?

Deliberately hindering your xbow development does not help your clan, it hurts it. And it certainly doesn't confer any benefit outside of war.
Annnnddddd we're off...

Lol.
It is absolutely true. The premise that you give your clans easier matchups has been proven false. All that is accomplished is that you give your opponent a softer target to 3*.

But you go ahead and keep advocating it.

I'm pushing the TH10 button now.
I pray with all my heart & soul this is true

This is sarcasm, right?

Annnnddddd we're off...
I won't clutter the thread by further engaging culdeus on the matter; it is clear that would be pointless. He is beyond hope. But if anyone else wants the real scoop, PM me.

sartre said:
culdeus said:
sartre said:
Lol.
It is absolutely true. The premise that you give your clans easier matchups has been proven false. All that is accomplished is that you give your opponent a softer target to 3*.

I haven't been 3* since somewhere in February and my queen got stuck. Haven't had a clean triple on me this calendar year.

sartre said:
culdeus said:
sartre said:
Lol.

I haven't been 3* since somewhere in February and my queen got stuck. Haven't had a clean triple on me this calendar year.
Good for you.

culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:
culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:

I think you guys get so many TH10s that you don't see the dominant bully strategy. But they've basically for the moment gifted that to TH9 as an equal strategy with no balance. You don't really need drags. A straight pent with two air d down will be plenty even with a live queen. I would just use drags to save the dark elixer because either way it's a dead base and DE is going to be hard enough to get as is.
Still don't see the big deal. A TH10 with TH10 troops should crush a TH9. If not, you're doing it wrong. A 3 jump GoWiPe should crush a TH9 every time.

culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:
culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:

Still don't see the big deal. A TH10 with TH10 troops should crush a TH9. If not, you're doing it wrong. A 3 jump GoWiPe should crush a TH9 every time.
Well the big deal is their calling card is typically to use zaps to take out two air d and then just flatten the base with some combination of air and heroes aren't required plus has the added bonus of not needing to spend DE to get 3 stars in war. This wasn't possible at TH9 because you could at most take down one air d and that leaves two spells. Now you have the spell deck to run down two air d and start the raid. That even discounts the free 30 seconds to queen walk a good amount of % away for free before even starting the raid. And you could open with a CB or whatever if you really felt like you had to get a super high level queen dead (that assumes there will be any left in a week).

Shuke's been just flattening people that leave a queen next to an air d and that takes 3.5 spells (3zap and a poison because I'm a bad shot and like to have the queen walking slower) Often times I swag the extra spells for style points just to show off and get the lulz. For what would be 5 spells it's far more valuable to take down two air defenses, but you lose the ability to swag which is a bummer.

culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:
culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:

Well the big deal is their calling card is typically to use zaps to take out two air d and then just flatten the base with some combination of air and heroes aren't required plus has the added bonus of not needing to spend DE to get 3 stars in war. This wasn't possible at TH9 because you could at most take down one air d and that leaves two spells. Now you have the spell deck to run down two air d and start the raid. That even discounts the free 30 seconds to queen walk a good amount of % away for free before even starting the raid. And you could open with a CB or whatever if you really felt like you had to get a super high level queen dead (that assumes there will be any left in a week).

Shuke's been just flattening people that leave a queen next to an air d and that takes 3.5 spells (3zap and a poison because I'm a bad shot and like to have the queen walking slower) Often times I swag the extra spells for style points just to show off and get the lulz. For what would be 5 spells it's far more valuable to take down two air defenses, but you lose the ability to swag which is a bummer.
So this saves a TH10 a little DE and they're just doing what they should be :shrug:

Sorry you can no longer swag T&P

I've been barching exposed DE drills quite a bit lately and, unfortunately, none of the info I could find online seems to be correct as far as how much DE is in a drill based on it's fill level. So hopefully this will be helpful. I'm fairly confident that these are the exact numbers since they're based on a formula and I spot-tested them.

These are the totals that are actually available if you kill the drill:

Code:
Level	 Empty	 Trace	  Half	    Full1	 0-10	 11-29	  30-60	    61-1202	 0-19	 20-56	  57-113    114-2253	 0-36	 37-101	  102-204   205-4054	 0-56	 57-158	  159-317   318-6305	 0-86	 87-241	  242-484   485-9606	 0-122	 123-340  341-681   682-1350

culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:
culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:

So this saves a TH10 a little DE and they're just doing what they should be :shrug:

You are turning into moredoor. A TH9 now will be able to zap TH9 down to just two air defenses just like a TH10. If you can't see how overpowered that is I'm not sure what to say.

Yes, they might bump up the health of air defense. But I'm told that the HP boost would actually have to be quite high to withstand L6+EQ. Would be far higher than the 50hp I projected earlier.

Replay of some of this swag for the fbg brotherhood? We're struggling and could use some swag to strike fear into the opposition.
I'll grab some next time. Like I said I just look at bases designed with idiots setting their queen next to an air defense. Even the poison isn't really needed. It just secures the queen dying by slowing her down as she orbits the air defense.

The swag really comes out if a hound is in the CC. I try to do them with just 10-12 loons and swag 8 or so in the last second.

culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:
culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:

You are turning into moredoor. A TH9 now will be able to zap TH9 down to just two air defenses just like a TH10. If you can't see how overpowered that is I'm not sure what to say.

Yes, they might bump up the health of air defense. But I'm told that the HP boost would actually have to be quite high to withstand L6+EQ. Would be far higher than the 50hp I projected earlier.
And we've gone back full circle. A TH9 drag rush with no spells vs 2 L6 AD, 4 seekers, up xbows, AQ and CC probably doesn't work like you think it does.

culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:
culdeus said:
Cliff Clavin said:

And we've gone back full circle. A TH9 drag rush with no spells vs 2 L6 AD, 4 seekers, up xbows, AQ and CC probably doesn't work like you think it does.
Then just pent the base. With a L4/5 hound in cc. Old school ignore the queen or CB her if it's tricky.

And someone did the math, they would need to boost L6 Air D to basically a hair below a L1 xbow to shut this down. Would need somewhere in the range of 1410 HP. I doubt they make such a drastic change.

Replay of some of this swag for the fbg brotherhood? We're struggling and could use some swag to strike fear into the opposition.
I'll grab some next time. Like I said I just look at bases designed with idiots setting their queen next to an air defense. Even the poison isn't really needed. It just secures the queen dying by slowing her down as she orbits the air defense.

The swag really comes out if a hound is in the CC. I try to do them with just 10-12 loons and swag 8 or so in the last second.
We talking max th9 or war weight in low 60 range? Debating kicking off zap 6 in a day when lab frees up.

We talking max th9 or war weight in low 60 range? Debating kicking off zap 6 in a day when lab frees up.
I have to hit a strong one. Most of the fails are due to hitting too weak a th9 and having 3 or 4! unpopped hounds if I hit something in the 60s.

Users who are viewing this thread