What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clash of Clans (Official thread) (5 Viewers)

For those thinking of going air, they've done something to the dragons to make them less effective.  It's an easy build and attack for my TH8 sub accounts, which is what I have them setup with for war time.  But lately I've noticed a big downgrade in the speed of their attacks and their speed to the next target.  They were never particularly swift, but now they are brutal.  Their AI is back to pre-lightning upgrade suckitude as well.
I said this yesterday in chat, dragons are dead as an attack now unless it's a very compact base and even then I'd use hogs. TH8 is frustrating me to death right now with method of attack. Maybe I'm just rusty with CC pulls but they eat my lunch and if not, I don't have enough army left to finish the base. Will figure out the right mix but frustrating as hell right now.

As for TH9, dragons are dead IMO. Just too slow. I've been using GoVaHo with some success. You have to account for speed again with the new timer and valks & hogs are the two fastest troops you can use that lay waste to stuff in their path. I actually have more confidence in my TH9 attacks now than I do at TH8 which has never been the case.

I said this yesterday in chat, dragons are dead as an attack now unless it's a very compact base and even then I'd use hogs. TH8 is frustrating me to death right now with method of attack. Maybe I'm just rusty with CC pulls but they eat my lunch and if not, I don't have enough army left to finish the base. Will figure out the right mix but frustrating as hell right now.

As for TH9, dragons are dead IMO. Just too slow. I've been using GoVaHo with some success. You have to account for speed again with the new timer and valks & hogs are the two fastest troops you can use that lay waste to stuff in their path. I actually have more confidence in my TH9 attacks now than I do at TH8 which has never been the case.
Guam/Ani (TH8s) have been taking a CC drag and fur. Lure CC, drop your own CC on it with maybe a wiz or two.

Hey beer, I've been using drag attacks lvl 4 in every war. I just popped a mid level TH 9, last war for 3 stars.  But i understand the time concerns. 

Valks are AMAZING at TH10.  If you aren't on board this train get on now before they nerf it.
And at TH9.

2 golem, 10 valk (with 3 more in the CC), 8 hog, 9 wiz, 15/15 heroes

Just jumped them in. Watched to see which way the valks went and hogged the other side. Two heals for he valks, and one for the hogs. 65k weight base gone in 103 seconds.

1 war attack and 3 raids (all on max 9s) with VALK SMASH and haven't missed yet.

-4 healers

-1 golem

-4 wiz

-3 wb

-14 valk

-CC 3 valk, wiz, wb

-2 jump, rage, heal

AQ walk one side of the base. When AQ is coming to a corner drop golem and 4 wiz to clear garbage buildings outside on side AQ is walking towards. WB or jump at corner in front of AQ. Rage/Heal core. :profit:

Easiest attack in the game IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 war attack and 3 raids (all on max 9s) with VALK SMASH and haven't missed yet.

-4 healers

-1 golem

-4 wiz

-3 wb

-14 valk

-CC 3 valk, wiz, wb

-2 jump, rage, heal

AQ walk one side of the base. When AQ is coming to a corner drop golem and 4 wiz to clear garbage buildings outside on side AQ is walking towards. WB or jump at corner in front of AQ. Rage/Heal core. :profit:

Easiest attack in the game IMO.
It's working for 2 stars vs max to near max TH11's as well.

Now to turn it into 3 stars - I think the answer is hogs. 6-8 hogs towards the end of the attach - as the perimeter defenses are occupied with Valks ripping up the core - send in small team of hogs to eliminate perimeter D.

Now to turn it into 3 stars - I think the answer is hogs. 6-8 hogs towards the end of the attach - as the perimeter defenses are occupied with Valks ripping up the core - send in small team of hogs to eliminate perimeter D.
I'm thinking they might be my first TH10 lab upgrade. Best part is they really don't require other supporting troops ie max wiz or golems.

Its the quickest path to be able to 2 any TH10 at a minimum. Drags need zaps and/or freeze. GoWiPe needs max GoWiPe. Laloon needs freeze/zaps/hounds. Valks just need valks.
Yeah, In our last war vs. some random clan which claimed FPC and had 12 win streak they used Valk blast on all 5 of our TH10.  Worst % was 70.  Every single one was a first strike 2 star.

The main issue with these hits is valks after about the first layer are totally unpredictable.  They will leave compartments to chase adjacent buildings to then head outside.  

We got 2 3 star, one with a valk blast.  And they weren't even max.  Base design really needs to change alot to counter their AI.  The base Doc is using is a really good example of what anti-valk bases might look like.  

I am now completely terrified of them.  I also think TH9 on TH10 raids are absolutely doable for really high % 2 stars and 3.  You don't need a full freeze for valks, just the th9 freeze is plenty.

I think you are low on hogs.

The comps I'm seeing are 

230 spaces of hogs and valks + Golem or healer

30 funnelling troops and cleanup

15 for lure or more valks/hogs

For most of these raids I think 11-14 hogs are a minimum.  Something like 11 hogs 15 valks and then you take a tank for them or you heal the queen depending on the base.  

The plan usually is to get the valks to path through the eagle to the infernos and let the hogs flank the valks and provide a funnel so they don't exit their lane.

Yeah, In our last war vs. some random clan which claimed FPC and had 12 win streak they used Valk blast on all 5 of our TH10.  Worst % was 70.  Every single one was a first strike 2 star.

The main issue with these hits is valks after about the first layer are totally unpredictable.  They will leave compartments to chase adjacent buildings to then head outside.  

We got 2 3 star, one with a valk blast.  And they weren't even max.  Base design really needs to change alot to counter their AI.  The base Doc is using is a really good example of what anti-valk bases might look like.  

I am now completely terrified of them.  I also think TH9 on TH10 raids are absolutely doable for really high % 2 stars and 3.  You don't need a full freeze for valks, just the th9 freeze is plenty.
They're definitely a spam and hope for the best attack. Far, far easier than hogging or laloon. You could have an identical open 5 times on a base and have 5 different paths the valks take.

I think you can sort of kind of see where they might pull out.  Their AI is set to look for adjacent buildings. They will leave a compartment with an isolated building to go after touching buildings, so hogs, as they were can act as great funnelling troops to keep valks interior to the base.  Hogs should not be looked on as backend troops, they are troops that support the front end by breaking down paths valks might exit the base.

Base design obviously should be constructed in such a way that the inside of the base is all isolated and the outside has all touching stuff.  And for damn sure don't have anything touching an inferno or an eagle.  You want to put your springs where you have touching defensive towers, and GBs protecting infernos.  

Doc's base for example has a flaw that he put a tesla next to an inferno.  That's the worst thing you can do because it actually stops the valks and they retarget if anywhere near and everything is rekt they will go straight for that inferno.  

Using Valks is definitely like trying to herd cats.

My 2nd attack this war I got them to the core - they made a bee line to kill opposing AQ, BK & CC (bypassing a Multi-Inferno) - once done with BK, AQ and CC they retreated (once again bypassing the same Multi-Inferno) without touching the Inferno.

Using Valks is definitely like trying to herd cats.

My 2nd attack this war I got them to the core - they made a bee line to kill opposing AQ, BK & CC (bypassing a Multi-Inferno) - once done with BK, AQ and CC they retreated (once again bypassing the same Multi-Inferno) without touching the Inferno.
they like to resume where they left off

How close do "touching" buildings need to be for valks to target them? Actually touching? One space apart? Two spaces apart?

Wouldn't be surprised to see spring traps get upgraded to 16 spots.
Valks shouldn't hit springs unless something wild happens.  They move too fast and set themselves where buildings touch which, ergo eliminates the spring.  So you need a spot to put them where they would stop on a non adjacent building.  If they hit a spring on the way somewhere they won't trip it. they have to stop basically directly on it.  You could set springs sort of next to a touching building but that assumes you can correctly predict their entry point among other things.  

It's GB placement that is going to need adjustment.  And CC content.  CC golems are hell on valks.  Drags too if left un-poisoned.  

You all can boot shuke at anytime. I don't really use that account much and now with 30/30 wars being relatively easy to fill and no 35 I don't really see him being in demand much to fill in anywhere for numbers.  If you keep him in a war just let me know.  For fbgs he doesn't have a ton of value.  You all have a really top heavy th mix and shuke ends up drawing extra th8 forcing th9s to dip which isn't fun for anyone.  If you had 3-4 th8 then it makes sense to run that account.  I ran into this issue subbing for people at a clan with no th8s for awhile.  

You all can boot shuke at anytime. I don't really use that account much and now with 30/30 wars being relatively easy to fill and no 35 I don't really see him being in demand much to fill in anywhere for numbers.  If you keep him in a war just let me know.  For fbgs he doesn't have a ton of value.  You all have a really top heavy th mix and shuke ends up drawing extra th8 forcing th9s to dip which isn't fun for anyone.  If you had 3-4 th8 then it makes sense to run that account.  I ran into this issue subbing for people at a clan with no th8s for awhile.  
If you're looking for a place to park shuke and be active when you can, let me know.

Took a look at a TH11 modder video.  In general, they are using basically to the decimal 25% more camp space for valks than hogs.  Whether they take tanks or not changes the total count but not the valk/hog ratio. It's pretty damn consistent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would rather keep shuke around as a fill in for the occasional war, especially at TH8 weight. Our two max TH8's are just retired alt accounts that like to war. Most of our war mismatches where we draw the TH short straw are when we exclude the TH8's. Ignore the current war...it's the first time we've drawn more than 4 TH8's since you were a regular in fbgs. Shuke would have good value in fbgs as a fill in and to keep war matchups in check.

Would rather keep shuke around as a fill in for the occasional war, especially at TH8 weight. Our two max TH8's are just retired alt accounts that like to war. Most of our war mismatches where we draw the TH short straw are when we exclude the TH8's. Ignore the current war...it's the first time we've drawn more than 4 TH8's since you were a regular in fbgs. Shuke would have good value in fbgs as a fill in and to keep war matchups in check.
Well keep in mind that Shuke pulls TH8s. So if you have 9s that don't want to hit 8s you have to be willing to deal with that or just have me nuke them if the 8s miss.  Also, try to hold bases where shuke can be effective. Those tend to be the ones with easy to get to queens that doesn't take a jump, and down xbow bases.  On cleanup where a hound is there and queen is standing on an air d is also an option.  

War/ Ground attacker. Been working on GoHoValk attacks.
The first month at TH10 is an elixir drain so it's best to spend your first two upgrades at least on dark troops. I'd go golem5 and valk5. I'd work on elixir upgrades that would support Valk attacks after that. Take freeze to max, jump3, wiz. That should be a good start and keep you busy for 3 months.

Use gigob to pile up DE.

Yeah... had a lot of luck with the fur/drag combo at TH8 too.  Giant ties up the dragon and keeps the skull away long enough for your drag and wiz to handle them one at a time.  And if you lure to a corner away from an AD the dragon makes it to the end probably 1/3 to 1/2 the time.

Took a look at a TH11 modder video.  In general, they are using basically to the decimal 25% more camp space for valks than hogs.  Whether they take tanks or not changes the total count but not the valk/hog ratio. It's pretty damn consistent.

whats the army comp

Here's another video sort of fine tuning what I'm finding in matchmaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOiUkyVge7E

Basically the plan I've been going with is

• Queen sets funnel on one side while taking out a few point defenses and ideally deals with the CC using phase.  Ideally do not use a rage for her but it's ok if there is value.
  • Send a few giants and wiz to set a far side funnel use this time to WB in somewhere and eq if using eq.
  • With funnel set and queen ok, set king down 
  • VALKS IN.  Make sure you send one test valk to make sure funnel is set. If funnel is NOT set use 2 valks to set funnel.
  • Hogs on the side fo the base the queen is NOT
  • Rage thru first inferno
  • Freeze and heal through second heal for the hogs, primarily, if valks get in it great.
Well placed GBs and general valk pathing issues can really derail a raid.  My comp I've sort of settled on is

4 healers

12 hogs

16 valks

Mix of funnelling troops and wiz as required.  Pull out of the valks if more is needed.  11 hogs is an absolute minimum.  

FRRHQQQQ or JJPHRRR depending on how clear the path to the infernos are.

Users who are viewing this thread