What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seattle raises minimum wage to $15/hour (2 Viewers)

Wingnut

Footballguy
http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-02/a-seattle-compromise-brings-the-nations-first-15-minimum-wage

Update 6:40 p.m.: Seattles City Council unanimously approved the $15 wage.

A rally is already under way outside Seattles City Hall on Monday afternoon as lawmakers gather to vote on a measure to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour. The bill is expected to passeven unanimouslyafter surprisingly civil negotiations took place under deadline pressure that seems poised to create the highest citywide wage in the U.S.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray generally managed to avoid the toxic battles that have plagued minimum wage efforts in other cities, deftly creating an Income Inequality Advisory Committee of business executives, union leaders, and community advocates and setting a four-month clock for hashing out a deal. The goal was to avoid a costly and nasty battle of ballot initiatives come November. The mayor had vowed to put forward a plan of his own if the group failed.

The advisory committee reached a delicate compromise that was announced on May 1 and that would introduce the $15 wage level over time, depending on an employers size and whether workers receive tips and other benefits such as health care. By 2025, the bill would have all Seattle employers paying the same minimum. Its an agreement that no one loves but almost everyone says they can live with

Last edited by a moderator:
As one of the politically ambivalent, I hope it passes.

Partially because I'm nowhere near there. But the "true living wage" argument is always a point of contention among the rabidly partisan, and seeing it tested would be kind of interesting. :shrug:

... would introduce the $15 wage level over time, depending on an employers size and whether workers receive tips and other benefits such as health care. By 2025, the bill would have all Seattle employers paying the same minimum. Its an agreement that no one loves but almost everyone says they can live with
my god the sky is falling

I approve of their pro-marijuana position. I disapprove of their price-floor-on-labor position. I also hate their anti-poker legislation, but I like Richard Sherman. Don't know how to feel about Washington at the moment.

I approve of their pro-marijuana position. I disapprove of their price-floor-on-labor position. I also hate their anti-poker legislation, but I like Richard Sherman. Don't know how to feel about Washington at the moment.
they put the lib in libertarian

For 15.00 and hour would you rather be a landscaper busting your balls everyday? Or flip some burgers and fill some taco shells?

At what point is the minimum wage high enough that the lazy start skipping college in droves?
Wait, you are implying that the "lazy" are going to college?
State schools, mostly.
And the non-"lazy" that go to college? They just lazy also? :lol:
I'm not sure that makes sense.
Yeah, the lack of sense kicked off from TLEFs post.

If we get rid of the lazy college students by paying everyone at least $15/hr then we can have Elizebeth Warren's dream of 0.75% rates on student loans because almost nobody will default. win-win

This was extremely popular in Seattle, something like 75% approve of moving the min wage to $15/hr.

This was extremely popular in Seattle, something like 75% approve of moving the min wage to $15/hr.
It always looks good on paper. Wait until prices for everything go thru the roof.
I'm not a fan of min. wage, but then again if you're going to have it, it should be high enough where it matters. I don't think raising the min. wage will cause massive inflation, but the cost of some things (burgers, coffee) may go up some. I think most people understand that.

The bigger concern for most people is the loss of some jobs.

It always looks good on paper. Wait until prices for everything go thru the roof.
I'm not a fan of min. wage, but then again if you're going to have it, it should be high enough where it matters. I don't think raising the min. wage will cause massive inflation, but the cost of some things (burgers, coffee) may go up some. I think most people understand that.

The bigger concern for most people is the loss of some jobs.
You're right about this.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray generally managed to avoid the toxic battles that have plagued minimum wage efforts in other cities, deftly creating an Income Inequality Advisory Committee of business executives, union leaders, and community advocates and setting a four-month clock for hashing out a deal.
Probably should have invited some economists instead of a bunch of leeches off of class warfare.

At what point is the minimum wage high enough that the lazy start skipping college in droves?
Hopefully $15. Way too many people wasting good years in college.
:confused:
:confused:

Is it your belief that most people who attend college are putting themselves in position where they will be happier, more productive, more integral in creating a generation of new workers that will provide the maximum benefit to society, etc., etc.? Or can you see merit in an argument that says huge herds of these people, having gone through and majored in uselessness, are being used to fill legions of service economy jobs where what they learned in college has no bearing whatsoever on their ability to perform their jobs?

If lots of those were taken out of the post-secondary picture, and became blue collar productive types sooner, and the jobs that currently use a college degree as an artificial gateway, but don't require any actual academic training to excel in, became HS grad-filled, could that really be a tragedy?

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray generally managed to avoid the toxic battles that have plagued minimum wage efforts in other cities, deftly creating an Income Inequality Advisory Committee of business executives, union leaders, and community advocates and setting a four-month clock for hashing out a deal.
Probably should have invited some economists instead of a bunch of leeches off of class warfare.
Nah. The elite are vastly over-represented in the law currently. We need more middle class reps in government.

Get ready to order from an Ipad at the counter for most fast food places. The cashiers will be a thing of the past.

Users who are viewing this thread