What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Oliver is the best thing on TV. (1 Viewer)

I mean, it was funny, but, just exposes Hollywood liberalism. Criticizing Trump as "just a lifestyle brand" misses the point that "Hope and Change" was exactly the same thing that the American people swallowed up wholesale and still believe with violent fervor.
:lmao:

I mean, it was funny, but, just exposes Hollywood liberalism. Criticizing Trump as "just a lifestyle brand" misses the point that "Hope and Change" was exactly the same thing that the American people swallowed up wholesale and still believe with violent fervor.
I appreciate and enjoy Oliver, he is wildly entertaining and while I disagree with plenty he says, I also learn a few things you don't always see or hear everywhere. I also would like to see if Oliver is 100% factual, its framed that way but most folks know better. 

Hope and Change was a great campaign slogan simply because we were in two wars and the economy was spiraling into a depression. Of course Americans swallowed it up. And the economy is ten times better as a result. This Trump nonsense, and the way he has bamboozled his sheep into thinking he'd be a good choice for President, is unlike anything this country has ever seen.  His supporters literally don't care how much he lies, how racist he is, or how rude he is to everyone. He wasn't kidding when he said he could commit murder in the middle of Fifth Avenue and his supporters would still vote for him. It's both hilarious and frightening.

Last edited by a moderator:
why?  you don't care if Drumpf is.
Look at just how you write the dude's name compared to how I approach my respect for John Oliver...it's clear on this topic Joffer we won't be able to discuss much, I'm sorry because I like your POV and what you bring to the FFA. 

And I do care about Trump's facts, I also know most Trump supporters do not care about nitpicky PC stuff, that's a fact. If Trump said the United States did not form until 1812, that's a factual error. But most Anti-Trumps are rooted in calling him a bigot and using that as a way to discredit everything the man says no matter what the topic. 

Look at just how you write the dude's name compared to how I approach my respect for John Oliver...it's clear on this topic Joffer we won't be able to discuss much, I'm sorry because I like your POV and what you bring to the FFA. 

And I do care about Trump's facts, I also know most Trump supporters do not care about nitpicky PC stuff, that's a fact. If Trump said the United States did not form until 1812, that's a factual error. But most Anti-Trumps are rooted in calling him a bigot and using that as a way to discredit everything the man says no matter what the topic. 
There are things about Trump I don't care about. But I care that he flat out lies about things, and then doesn't seem to even care when it is uncovered (or even doubles down on the lie). I care that Trump wants to commit has advocated for committing war crimes (torture, killing innocents). I care that Trump thinks America isn't great right now, while we are objectively still one of the preeminent countries in the world. I care that Trump changes positions. I care that Trump is derogatory toward women, the disabled and others. And I care that I don't really know what he'll do once in office.

There are things about Trump I don't care about. But I care that he flat out lies about things, and then doesn't seem to even care when it is uncovered (or even doubles down on the lie). I care that Trump wants to commit war crimes (torture, killing innocents). I care that Trump thinks America isn't great right now, while we are objectively still one of the per-eminent countries in the world. I care that Trump changes positions. I care that Trump is derogatory toward women, the disabled and others. And I care that I don't really know what he'll do once in office.
Did you expect me to say this is unreasonable thinking?  

I'm not saying I agree with you but I think most of your post is reasonable. I think the war crimes stuff is getting a little bothered over nothing happening, likely not even should he take office. 

BTW...Oliver did say Trump would be taking office in 2017...he never used the words if trump takes office. Oliver is a fairly smart guy, I doubt he hates Trump as much as some of his followers. And Oliver will make a lot of new fans over the summer with Trump running as the GOP nominee while he shells out jokes and insults. 

Did you expect me to say this is unreasonable thinking?  

I'm not saying I agree with you but I think most of your post is reasonable. I think the war crimes stuff is getting a little bothered over nothing happening, likely not even should he take office. 

BTW...Oliver did say Trump would be taking office in 2017...he never used the words if trump takes office. Oliver is a fairly smart guy, I doubt he hates Trump as much as some of his followers. And Oliver will make a lot of new fans over the summer with Trump running as the GOP nominee while he shells out jokes and insults. 
Yah, "wants to commit" is probably over the top, probably better to say "has advocated".

I think it is a significant possibility Trump is our next President. And as much as I wouldn't vote for him, I think we could do far worse. Cruz, for instance. I'm not even a huge Rubio fan, although I think he may be the last viable "establishment" candidate left. Both Rubio and Cruz bible-thump way too much for me, although Rubio kind of strikes me as the kind that is doing it because he thinks he has to, and that he wouldn't let it influence his day to day in the White House. But for Trump, I think my last point, that we don't know what he'll do once in office, is why I feel ok if he does get elected. I think he'll be much more moderate than during the campaign. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him swing way back toward center if he locks up the nomination.

I actually feel like I'll be in a tough spot this election, if Bernie loses the nomination (still holding faith that he can weather the Super Tuesday storm). Because I don't like Hillary at all either. But I don't think anyone on the GOP side represents my views, even Kasick is way too socially conservative.

I'll take that bet.
He acknowledged in his show this week that Trump hits a note with him. It's a note he hates as he said so on the broadcast but Oliver could see a serious boost in ratings if he can catch some of the Trump fervor and capitalize on it. 

I thought I would hate his takes on Trump but I found them funny and honest. I was only put off by a couple things, didn't enjoy him using a 20 yr old Ivanka clip, other small things I would have called him on if I were sitting across from him but all in all Oliver is brilliant.  

His line of "you will remember the inauguration date, because that's the date people from the future will come back to prevent from ever happening" was amazing. I almost choked. 
He also showed Trump settling lawsuits on Trump Towers Tampa. I thought Trump owned all these buildings with his name on it...not true we find out. I am interested in Trump's tax returns now. 

I am interested in Trump only because I hate most politicians. I think both parties are a joke and not much difference between them other than media sound bites for their bases. 

People voting for him are simply extending a middle finger towards the the current set up. That's my opinion. 

He acknowledged in his show this week that Trump hits a note with him. It's a note he hates as he said so on the broadcast but Oliver could see a serious boost in ratings if he can catch some of the Trump fervor and capitalize on it. 

I thought I would hate his takes on Trump but I found them funny and honest. I was only put off by a couple things, didn't enjoy him using a 20 yr old Ivanka clip, other small things I would have called him on if I were sitting across from him but all in all Oliver is brilliant.  
He called him "America's back mole". Pretty much mocked everything about him, his brand, his products, his politics, his ego, called him a liar. Don't think he is a fan.

Will and does provide great content though.

He also showed Trump settling lawsuits on Trump Towers Tampa. I thought Trump owned all these buildings with his name on it...not true we find out. I am interested in Trump's tax returns now. 

I am interested in Trump only because I hate most politicians. I think both parties are a joke and not much difference between them other than media sound bites for their bases. 

People voting for him are simply extending a middle finger towards the the current set up. That's my opinion. 
That is definitely not the only set of people voting for him. It may have started that way and there may be a few left. But it's become something far more gross now. 

Yes, John Oliver is riding the trump train for ratings success. Good one MOP. Nailed it. 
Trump is endless hours of fun and folly for Oliver, it's TV first buddy. Even HBO will pull the plug when ratings are not what they want, Vinyl for example has tanked or under performed from most media sites. 

Let's not whip stuff up out of thin air. I admire Oliver, I have stated I enjoy his show, but I'm not the GOP supporter I have been painted as in here. I just think Oliver quietly is cheering Trump as the nominee. At the same time he has largely ignored Trump to this point. 

Trump is endless hours of fun and folly for Oliver, it's TV first buddy. Even HBO will pull the plug when ratings are not what they want, Vinyl for example has tanked or under performed from most media sites. 

Let's not whip stuff up out of thin air. I admire Oliver, I have stated I enjoy his show, but I'm not the GOP supporter I have been painted as in here. I just think Oliver quietly is cheering Trump as the nominee. At the same time he has largely ignored Trump to this point. 
Oliver is beating out Maher (who has been on for 13 years) in ratings right now and his program is not like Vinyl or any other with actors and overhead. 

The show is just gaining steam and is cheap to produce, he's going no where. 

He called him "America's back mole". Pretty much mocked everything about him, his brand, his products, his politics, his ego, called him a liar. Don't think he is a fan.

Will and does provide great content though.
He has to fill up 30 minutes, granted he had no problem filling over 20 ripping Trump. 

It should also be noted that Oliver tore up Obama over Gitmo and he never once said something like..."Because of the rotten GOP controlled House and Senate" 

Oliver is beating out Maher (who has been on for 13 years) in ratings right now and his program is not like Vinyl or any other with actors and overhead. 

The show is just gaining steam and is cheap to produce, he's going no where. 
Did I insinuate Oliver was going away? He is trending way up, I heard so much I had to start watching the show and even though I disagree with some of his takes as I do Bill Maher, I enjoy watching and listening to what some folks who share different opinions than I do feel about a lot of issues in the World. And he's really funny. 

I would pay Oliver to insult me, is that praise enough?  :D

It's all well and good to hate politicians, it's also often not a bad idea to vote for someone outside the system to let them know we hate what they do. Trump is an exception to that, because he is not a quality person and we don't know what kind of havoc he would create in the White House. He has zero experience that would ever even begin to make someone believe he is capable of that job. And no, running Trump enterprises doesn't count. A business is not like a country. Not the same stakes at all.

My point is, the stakes are really, really high here. You always seem reasonable MOP...think about whether what you are advocating is by any stretch of the imagination a good idea. Hint: it isn't.

It's all well and good to hate politicians, it's also often not a bad idea to vote for someone outside the system to let them know we hate what they do. Trump is an exception to that, because he is not a quality person and we don't know what kind of havoc he would create in the White House. He has zero experience that would ever even begin to make someone believe he is capable of that job. And no, running Trump enterprises doesn't count. A business is not like a country. Not the same stakes at all.

My point is, the stakes are really, really high here. You always seem reasonable MOP...think about whether what you are advocating is by any stretch of the imagination a good idea. Hint: it isn't.
Ben Carson is a quality person, a neurosurgeon I think, and yet when he starts talking I lose my mind. I would love to have dinner with Carson and I bet in smaller groups he is the life of the party but on this stage he just comes across as nuts. 

Where do you see the sanity in any of these candidates? Clinton is on the verge of a possible criminal case, Email-gate isn't going away anytime soon it seems. 

Cruz/Rubio? You see both of them on a higher platform than Trump? They have a little experience, Rubio never shows up for work, Cruz shuts things down by not leaving the floor, I'm not sure their track records make me feel confident of them as President. 

I think Trump will hire a 1st class team of folks around him so he won't embarrass himself and I think some of his early supporters in Congress will help him fill in the gaps in terms of knowledge needed. Obama flubbed it pretty good when he first took office. Oliver was clear in showing that in 2009 when he took office and on the 2nd day said he was closing GITMO, that's rich. 

They're all jerks, none of them care about you and me Maelstrom, remember that. I know I'm off the ranch at times, in many ways I admire and emulate some of the showmanship we see in Trump. I try not to manipulate the boards, it's not nice to the owners but when I want attention I can get it. 

I appreciate your post and I am a reasonable person,,,sometimes  ;)  

Trump is endless hours of fun and folly for Oliver, it's TV first buddy. Even HBO will pull the plug when ratings are not what they want...

Did I insinuate Oliver was going away? He is trending way up, I heard so much I had to start watching the show and even though I disagree with some of his takes as I do Bill Maher, I enjoy watching and listening to what some folks who share different opinions than I do feel about a lot of issues in the World. And he's really funny. 

thought you did with the first comment.  :confused:  

Regardless, it's a good show and it is dedicated to one particular theme.  This week Trump, last week Flint water, etc.  It's informative and entertaining.

Oliver didn't have a segment on trump in 2015 because it wasn't the election year yet. If he were worried about ratings he would have grabbed the low hanging fruit a long time ago. 

Amazing takedown of Drumpf
Really, that was a amazing takedown? That was the best he could do. Besides his name which was changed generations ago, everything else was vague insults based on hearsay. I love John Oliver's show, but he did not really say much of anything. Short fingers and gold pens... ouch... game-changer. 

And to think we do it for free.

Really, that was a amazing takedown? That was the best he could do. Besides his name which was changed generations ago, everything else was vague insults based on hearsay. I love John Oliver's show, but he did not really say much of anything. Short fingers and gold pens... ouch... game-changer. 
Hearsay huh?

Are you watching the show correctly? Did you not comprehend anything other than "gold pens" and "short fingers"? Cause, if that is all you did, well, I'm not sure where to go with that.

Users who are viewing this thread