Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Homer J Simpson

John Oliver is the best thing on TV.

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Yes, John Oliver is riding the trump train for ratings success. Good one MOP. Nailed it. 

Trump is endless hours of fun and folly for Oliver, it's TV first buddy. Even HBO will pull the plug when ratings are not what they want, Vinyl for example has tanked or under performed from most media sites. 

Let's not whip stuff up out of thin air. I admire Oliver, I have stated I enjoy his show, but I'm not the GOP supporter I have been painted as in here. I just think Oliver quietly is cheering Trump as the nominee. At the same time he has largely ignored Trump to this point. 

2 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Trump is endless hours of fun and folly for Oliver, it's TV first buddy. Even HBO will pull the plug when ratings are not what they want, Vinyl for example has tanked or under performed from most media sites. 

Let's not whip stuff up out of thin air. I admire Oliver, I have stated I enjoy his show, but I'm not the GOP supporter I have been painted as in here. I just think Oliver quietly is cheering Trump as the nominee. At the same time he has largely ignored Trump to this point. 

Oliver is beating out Maher (who has been on for 13 years) in ratings right now and his program is not like Vinyl or any other with actors and overhead. 

The show is just gaining steam and is cheap to produce, he's going no where. 

1 hour ago, The General said:

He called him "America's back mole". Pretty much mocked everything about him, his brand, his products, his politics, his ego, called him a liar. Don't think he is a fan.

Will and does provide great content though.

He has to fill up 30 minutes, granted he had no problem filling over 20 ripping Trump. 

It should also be noted that Oliver tore up Obama over Gitmo and he never once said something like..."Because of the rotten GOP controlled House and Senate" 

Grandpa Drumpf.

- was kicked out of Germany, another thing we can blame them for

- Donald is related to Christ, his grandmother, Elizabeth Christ

2 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Oliver is beating out Maher (who has been on for 13 years) in ratings right now and his program is not like Vinyl or any other with actors and overhead. 

The show is just gaining steam and is cheap to produce, he's going no where. 

Did I insinuate Oliver was going away? He is trending way up, I heard so much I had to start watching the show and even though I disagree with some of his takes as I do Bill Maher, I enjoy watching and listening to what some folks who share different opinions than I do feel about a lot of issues in the World. And he's really funny. 

I would pay Oliver to insult me, is that praise enough? :D

2 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

He also showed Trump settling lawsuits on Trump Towers Tampa. I thought Trump owned all these buildings with his name on it...not true we find out. I am interested in Trump's tax returns now. 

I am interested in Trump only because I hate most politicians. I think both parties are a joke and not much difference between them other than media sound bites for their bases. 

People voting for him are simply extending a middle finger towards the the current set up. That's my opinion. 

It's all well and good to hate politicians, it's also often not a bad idea to vote for someone outside the system to let them know we hate what they do. Trump is an exception to that, because he is not a quality person and we don't know what kind of havoc he would create in the White House. He has zero experience that would ever even begin to make someone believe he is capable of that job. And no, running Trump enterprises doesn't count. A business is not like a country. Not the same stakes at all.

My point is, the stakes are really, really high here. You always seem reasonable MOP...think about whether what you are advocating is by any stretch of the imagination a good idea. Hint: it isn't.

2 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

It's all well and good to hate politicians, it's also often not a bad idea to vote for someone outside the system to let them know we hate what they do. Trump is an exception to that, because he is not a quality person and we don't know what kind of havoc he would create in the White House. He has zero experience that would ever even begin to make someone believe he is capable of that job. And no, running Trump enterprises doesn't count. A business is not like a country. Not the same stakes at all.

My point is, the stakes are really, really high here. You always seem reasonable MOP...think about whether what you are advocating is by any stretch of the imagination a good idea. Hint: it isn't.

Ben Carson is a quality person, a neurosurgeon I think, and yet when he starts talking I lose my mind. I would love to have dinner with Carson and I bet in smaller groups he is the life of the party but on this stage he just comes across as nuts. 

Where do you see the sanity in any of these candidates? Clinton is on the verge of a possible criminal case, Email-gate isn't going away anytime soon it seems. 

Cruz/Rubio? You see both of them on a higher platform than Trump? They have a little experience, Rubio never shows up for work, Cruz shuts things down by not leaving the floor, I'm not sure their track records make me feel confident of them as President. 

I think Trump will hire a 1st class team of folks around him so he won't embarrass himself and I think some of his early supporters in Congress will help him fill in the gaps in terms of knowledge needed. Obama flubbed it pretty good when he first took office. Oliver was clear in showing that in 2009 when he took office and on the 2nd day said he was closing GITMO, that's rich. 

They're all jerks, none of them care about you and me Maelstrom, remember that. I know I'm off the ranch at times, in many ways I admire and emulate some of the showmanship we see in Trump. I try not to manipulate the boards, it's not nice to the owners but when I want attention I can get it. 

I appreciate your post and I am a reasonable person,,,sometimes ;) 

1 hour ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Trump is endless hours of fun and folly for Oliver, it's TV first buddy. Even HBO will pull the plug when ratings are not what they want...

43 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Did I insinuate Oliver was going away? He is trending way up, I heard so much I had to start watching the show and even though I disagree with some of his takes as I do Bill Maher, I enjoy watching and listening to what some folks who share different opinions than I do feel about a lot of issues in the World. And he's really funny. 

thought you did with the first comment.  :confused: 

Regardless, it's a good show and it is dedicated to one particular theme.  This week Trump, last week Flint water, etc.  It's informative and entertaining.

Edited by Doctor Detroit
  • Like 1

Oliver didn't have a segment on trump in 2015 because it wasn't the election year yet. If he were worried about ratings he would have grabbed the low hanging fruit a long time ago. 

10 hours ago, Capella said:

Amazing takedown of Drumpf

Really, that was a amazing takedown? That was the best he could do. Besides his name which was changed generations ago, everything else was vague insults based on hearsay. I love John Oliver's show, but he did not really say much of anything. Short fingers and gold pens... ouch... game-changer. 

Edited by freakinback
I'm stupid

8 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

It's TV first, try and remember that. 

So is 60 Minutes and Frontline.

Edited by Tom Servo

6 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

And to think we do it for free.

10 minutes ago, freakinback said:

everything else was vague insults based on hearsay.

:lmao:

Wait, did the definition of "hearsay" get changed? Because if the new definition is "actual quotes from Donald Trump", then your analysis is SPOT-ON.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, freakinback said:

Really, that was a amazing takedown? That was the best he could do. Besides his name which was changed generations ago, everything else was vague insults based on hearsay. I love John Oliver's show, but he did not really say much of anything. Short fingers and gold pens... ouch... game-changer. 

Hearsay huh?

16 minutes ago, freakinback said:

Are you watching the show correctly? Did you not comprehend anything other than "gold pens" and "short fingers"? Cause, if that is all you did, well, I'm not sure where to go with that.

6 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I think Trump will hire a 1st class team of folks around him so he won't embarrass himself

Then why hasn't he already? He retweets white supremacy stuff, says incredibly stupid stuff, his press liaison is pretty much a loon - where is this team of beautiful, talented people to help him win the presidency?

2 hours ago, msommer said:

Then why hasn't he already? He retweets white supremacy stuff, says incredibly stupid stuff, his press liaison is pretty much a loon - where is this team of beautiful, talented people to help him win the presidency?

Apparently he doesn't need them. <_<

Edited by Tom Servo
Had to find the right smiley.

1 minute ago, Tom Servo said:

Apparently he doesn't need them. <_<

And he won't think he'll need them in the unfortunate event that he is elected President either.

2 hours ago, msommer said:

I'm not going to pretend I didn't see this, it's a good question sir. I have wondered how a campaign that was ahead of everyone up until the last few days where Trump has stumbled a little bit, could allow Trump to open himself up to DD and KKK attacks. I will say though most of this stuff is haymakers by Rubio and Cruz.

I don't want to derail the thread into a total politics thing. I've posted several times but I will again, I'm an Oliver fan, watch the show, just like Maher I have no issues with good jokes. Maher is not as Liberal as he appears at times. Maher for example is not all that excited about taking in Syrian refugees or most ME refugees. I like folks who can bend a little, Maher does depending on the topic. 

Just now, Ministry of Pain said:

I'm not going to pretend I didn't see this, it's a good question sir. ...

I don't want to derail the thread into a total politics thing

Fair enough

41 minutes ago, Limp Ditka said:

MOPe's gonna MOPe

MOP is the new Tim.

8 hours ago, [scooter] said:

:lmao:

Wait, did the definition of "hearsay" get changed? Because if the new definition is "actual quotes from Donald Trump", then your analysis is SPOT-ON.

Good point. I should have been clearer with my thoughts. I was talking about anything new that was damning. I'm not a Trump supporter, I just did not see any bombshells. It was late when I watched this last night. Maybe I snoozed through the gotchas. 

17 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

People voting for him are simply extending a middle finger towards the the current set up. That's my opinion. 

Trump has been good at getting people to think that's what they'd be doing if the vote for him. But the reality will be that they're just ####### themselves over. They're getting played by a guy who's been as much a product and beneficiary of the establishment as anyone.

5 hours ago, WhatDoIKnow said:

$17.50 is "cost" for the hat.  I'm calling shenanigans.  <_<

I can believe it's cost to them from whoever is selling to them.

Either way, I'm not wearing a hat that someone might mistake for a Trump hat from a distance.

Got the Drumpfinator chrome extension. :thumbup:

I thought the last episode might have been a top 5 best of the show.  I was laughing the entire time.  My wife was crying with the guys in new Hampshire holding their meeting.

This show is just brilliant.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

I thought the last episode might have been a top 5 best of the show.  I was laughing the entire time.  My wife was crying with the guys in new Hampshire holding their meeting.

This show is just brilliant.

Plus, at least speaking for myself here, I actually learn something with each episode. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zow said:

Plus, at least speaking for myself here, I actually learn something with each episode. 

That's probably one of my favorite parts of the show.

Although sometimes ignorance truly is bliss and some of the things I see I wish I could un-know.... especially the drones episode.

14 hours ago, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

Was that Harry from Mad Men at the end of the Apple segment?

Yup

85 million people watched the Drumph bit. Most watched thing in HBO history. He basically pointed the Death Star at that ####head. 

National hero IMO 

• Like 3

He's starting to lean too much on interjecting the f word into everything for comedic effect/emphasis.

4 hours ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

Oh, #### you.

:lol:

"You're a ####### nit picker Dylan, a ####### nit picker!"

Edited by Gr00vus

The whole Puerto Rico bit was very heavy handed and one sided.  Those vulture hedge funds bought those bonds for money that the people of Puerto Rico have already spent.  Why is everyone is against people paying their debts?  Why is every person who lends money in some manner and evil ######## and deserving of being not paid back?

I wonder what the make up of owners of that Maryland fund that he mentioned is?  How did an Island of 3.5 million people run up 7 Billion of debt?  How is that possible?

3 hours ago, The Big Guy said:

The whole Puerto Rico bit was very heavy handed and one sided.

Most of his bits are like that. The fact that he comes down on the right side of the issue more often than not, and the fact that most bits are rather entertaining regardless of which side he comes down on, go a long way toward making the heavy-handedness and one-sidedness forgivable. There's naturally some unresolvable tension between objectivity and entertainment value. I think the show generally does a decent job of balancing those competing objectives, but it will always be subject to criticism by people who prefer that a different balance be struck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Big Guy said:

The whole Puerto Rico bit was very heavy handed and one sided.  Those vulture hedge funds bought those bonds for money that the people of Puerto Rico have already spent.  Why is everyone is against people paying their debts?  Why is every person who lends money in some manner and evil ######## and deserving of being not paid back?

I wonder what the make up of owners of that Maryland fund that he mentioned is?  How did an Island of 3.5 million people run up 7 Billion of debt?  How is that possible?

$70 billion.  Not $7.  

53 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

$70 billion.  Not $7.  

Anyone who owns shares in tax exempt mutual funds is a creditor.  Good luck.