What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Oliver is the best thing on TV. (1 Viewer)

Last week's show was really really good.  His bit on the coal mining company was brilliantly funny.  And they are in fact suing him and HBO now.  Which is just awesome.  In a purely entertainment sort of way.  
Yeah, the coal mining segment was a good one. That Murray guy's earned an eternal session with a perpetual motion nut kicking machine when he gets to hell. Hope I don't get sued for saying that. I guess I'll have to settle for him being a running gag on Oliver's show for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week's show was really really good.  His bit on the coal mining company was brilliantly funny.  And they are in fact suing him and HBO now.  Which is just awesome.  In a purely entertainment sort of way.  
Seems suing them would if anything be the worst thing they could do. Gain more exposure on this? Don't get it. 

I hope he makes fun of Murray in every show moving forward.  He should plaster advertisements all over the town where Murray Energy is headquartered pointing out what a giant ######## he is 

N

Pretty damn impressive with the shout out to @NutterButter too.

Needs to change avatar though

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Seems suing them would if anything be the worst thing they could do. Gain more exposure on this? Don't get it. 
When you threaten someone, you can't back down if they ignore you or no one will ever believe your threats.

I disagree with your assertion.
I'm generally open minded in most situations.  This is one where I can't be.  The guy was born in another country and comes to America to #### all over the way we do business.  It just rubs me the wrong way.  Like someone marrying into the family and then complaining about family traditions.

I'm generally open minded in most situations.  This is one where I can't be.  The guy was born in another country and comes to America to #### all over the way we do business.  It just rubs me the wrong way.  Like someone marrying into the family and then complaining about family traditions.
So I shouldn't criticize my in-laws' stupid traditions?  

If your family traditions suck as bad as some of ours do, I'm all for it.

If you've watched John Oliver for more than 10 minutes you've probably seen that he is constantly poking fun at the way the British do things.  You don't need to be born here to call bull#### on various topics.
I only watch youtube segments of the guy.  I just don't care for him.  I feel like his calling of bull#### is slanted to the left though. 

I suspect this stems more from how far right your starting point is, but I'm not positive :oldunsure:  
I think I'm middle right or right wing leftist (if thats a thing).  I believe in our military, guns, and keeping what you earn.  I'm against abortion, welfare, and handouts.  so it is what it is.  I've sided more with the right recently because I think Hilary is the worse candidate to ever run.  Somehow the Left disagrees with it.

If you can't laugh at yourself then you are a pompous ###. Why does the nationality of the comedian play a role in your self awareness?

I can see his delivery turning off some folks. I tend to curse a lot, but I've found his over the top cursing annoying and even uncomfortable at times.  With that said, his mix of being informative and down right funny is fantastic. I've learned and laughed a lot from his short segments quite a bit. Big fan. 

I'm no Trump fan but I agree a little.  He's at his best hitting the topics few people talk about and I'm just tired of all things Trump. 
I think Oliver would agree with this and he said something like it in the show when he had to do the long-form piece on the TSA in like five minutes.  It's just that every week there's some jaw-dropping #### happening with Trump and he can't just not mention it.

If there is going to be a focus on Trump, I'd much rather it be on what he promised vs what he has actually delivered.  What his proposals are and how they are going to affect the people that voted for him.  I really can't understand how people are still supporting him much less supporting him enthusiastically like they are.

Max Power said:
I think I'm middle right or right wing leftist (if thats a thing).  I believe in our military, guns, and keeping what you earn.  I'm against abortion, welfare, and handouts.  so it is what it is.  I've sided more with the right recently because I think Hilary is the worse candidate to ever run.  Somehow the Left disagrees with it.
There is nothing at all centrist or slightly left leaning in that post.  What point were you trying to make again? 

I think it's hard to be "funny" about Trump because Trump is so ridiculous he resists parody. 
This. Sooooo many people are trying to take clever little shots at Trump and it just comes off lame. Just mountains of bad and obvious jokes on social media and late night tv.

At least Oliver is creative and tries to take shots at people on both sides of the aisle.

He's doing just like Jon Stewart - always The Funny first, aiming str8 @ the bull####, no matter whence it comes - though perhaps not as well, but with the added " issue illumination" and occasional "get out yo chair, fatass!" stunting that makes it special. I am more irritated by DS alums Trevor Noah, Larry Wilmore & Sam Bee for the fascism of their wokeness and partisan volleys than any RWNJ, cuz they've turned in their stages for pulpits. It's America that is hilarious and America that is dangerous for the peevish, preening selfishness which has put a drunk uncle @ the wheel, allowed laws to be made with profiteering as the sole motivation & turned democracy into a MMPORG. Oliver stays on that & thank goodness he does.

I'm no Trump fan but I agree a little.  He's at his best hitting the topics few people talk about and I'm just tired of all things Trump. 

I think Oliver would agree with this and he said something like it in the show when he had to do the long-form piece on the TSA in like five minutes.  It's just that every week there's some jaw-dropping #### happening with Trump and he can't just not mention it.

I think it's hard to be "funny" about Trump because Trump is so ridiculous he resists parody. 
I agree with all of these. 

I'm exhausted by all things trump... but it's a weekly ####show of gasoline onto fire from a personality standpoint, let alone politically... so can't fault people like oliver or other late night hosts to take their shots. and I prefer oliver's humor and his writers' take on things versus that trio wikkid mentioned. but I mostly prefer when his team does investigative reporting- I learn stuff and I laugh... not bad for a 30min show.

but yeah- he definitely leans left, so if hearing things that lean left blind you to humor or other investigative issues... best to avoid.

I can see his delivery turning off some folks. I tend to curse a lot, but I've found his over the top cursing annoying and even uncomfortable at times.  With that said, his mix of being informative and down right funny is fantastic. I've learned and laughed a lot from his short segments quite a bit. Big fan. 
Well said. I agree his delivery isn't for everyone. I am a big fan but can understand how the cursing and pop culture references and various asides won't be for everyone's tastes.

As far as the Trump stuff, he's said he didn't want to do weekly Trump stories but as has been said Trump does something insane on a weekly basis (and often many things) so Oliver has to deal with it in some fashion. He can't just ignore the times we live in. 

What I admire most about him in addition to his humor is how detailed his exposes are. They aren't just flip, say whatever the hell you want for a laugh and get off the stage stuff. They are incredibly well researched and factually on point. You may not think he's funny and you may not like the points he makes but no one should accuse him of not being thoroughly prepared and having the facts strongly on his side because that's always the case. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The content is great, but his delivery gets tired. How many times can he say, "Look, the point is..." in a 5 minute segment?  His jokes often come off as a bit too scripted, trying to hard. That said, he's still must-watch for me every week.

I think I'm middle right or right wing leftist (if thats a thing). I believe in our military, guns, and keeping what you earn.  I'm against abortion, welfare, and handouts.  so it is what it is.  I've sided more with the right recently because I think Hilary is the worse candidate to ever run.  Somehow the Left disagrees with it.
middle right?

Users who are viewing this thread