What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Oliver is the best thing on TV. (1 Viewer)

We need to figure out a way to get fast internet to people without fiber lines and then we can blow up these companies imo
Nokia already has the tech to transmit broadband speeds over mobile towers. But then we'd just have ATT/mobile providers trying the same thing as Comcast.

Maybe Facebook & Google's ventures into hot air balloons and low orbit satellites can chip away at the provider monopoly, but that's years and billions of $ away.
Wont work out that way ACME. Right now its a matter of who has access to the physical lines in the ground. The govt only allows 1.

Without lines and with towers then all the different competitors can get into the competition at any time.
But it's pretty clear that Google is trying to become a provider and bypass the monopoly. Google, esp Youtube, sees this as a major threat to their future profits. Google Fiber is already up and running in KC.

So if Google can deploy balloons as their radio infrastructure across the entire US and offer broadband, then I don't see how the government can regulate that. Isn't that how the Dish network gets around the regulations and is in every major market?
I was more disagreeing with the "same thing as Comcast". They don't share/monopolize towers anyway. So the more that get involved the better.

Interesting strategy, because they also realize they have the most pirated shows out there - yet they don't seem to get their panties in a bunch. They obviously see some benefit to the pirated versions, or password "sharing". Maybe they figure that a certain percentage of viewers will ultimately become subscribers, and chasing the rest is not worth the time/energy/money. :shrug:

Oliver's schtick is growing on me. It's basically The Daily Show meets 60 Minutes. Much longer and more intentionally informative segments. Still mocking and funny, but it's almost tangential to the actual reporting where TDS reporting is tangential to the funny and mocking.
Daily Show has gotten a lot worse at that. However, the real problem with the show is the pompous interviews that they can't fit into the ####### timeslot.
Pompous?

Comcast is considering imposing monthly usage limits for all of its Internet customers.

David Cohen, executive vice president of America's largest cable company, predicted at a conference Wednesday that in five years' time, the company will have "a usage-based billing model rolled out across its footprint."

That means Comcast (CMCSA) customers could only consume a certain amount of data before facing extra charges for going over their limits.

Cohen said the company would aim to set the limit at a level where "the vast majority of our customers" wouldn't be affected. He speculated that the limit might be set at 350 gigabytes or 500 gigabytes per month. A cap of that size would allow you to download or stream between 70 and 125 HD movies, which typically run about four or five gigabytes in size.
Going after the cord-cutters imo

We typically use about 300-350 GBs per month - watching netflix, hulu, etc.

Comcast is considering imposing monthly usage limits for all of its Internet customers.

David Cohen, executive vice president of America's largest cable company, predicted at a conference Wednesday that in five years' time, the company will have "a usage-based billing model rolled out across its footprint."

That means Comcast (CMCSA) customers could only consume a certain amount of data before facing extra charges for going over their limits.

Cohen said the company would aim to set the limit at a level where "the vast majority of our customers" wouldn't be affected. He speculated that the limit might be set at 350 gigabytes or 500 gigabytes per month. A cap of that size would allow you to download or stream between 70 and 125 HD movies, which typically run about four or five gigabytes in size.

Quit hogging all those millions and millions of data.

Homer J Simpson said:
Slapdash said:
Oliver's schtick is growing on me. It's basically The Daily Show meets 60 Minutes. Much longer and more intentionally informative segments. Still mocking and funny, but it's almost tangential to the actual reporting where TDS reporting is tangential to the funny and mocking.
Daily Show has gotten a lot worse at that. However, the real problem with the show is the pompous interviews that they can't fit into the ####### timeslot.
Pompous?
:shrug: I love how the interviews that really get some traction are continued on the site. :thumbup:

Quit hogging all those millions and millions of data.
It's costing Comcast a fortune !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is really getting comfortable now. The wealth inequality bit was just razor sharp.
It was spot on. Five years ago I would have said something like don't raise my taxes etc (and I still do). But it has become disproportionately out of control with how much money is finding it's way into the top hands. How much influence they have over Congress is scary. The country is basically run by a dozen or so people that have all the wealth and power. So not much different than a monarchy other than it's facade.

He is a must watch.

He's better than Stewart (realizing he gets a whole week to prepare, not forced to pump out material every night but still...).

This was informative and funny as he11.

"The internet is not broken, and the FCC is taking steps to fix that."

Last edited by a moderator:
The CIA twitter account.

"Hey Two And A Half Men got renewed for a 12th season! That show is harder to kill than Fidel Castro. #murderfail"

"Three Arab guys walk into a bar. Two of them are never heard from again.

#wheredidtheygo #secretprison #Uzbekistan"

Last edited by a moderator:
#### you Caillou :lmao: :lmao:

Thanks for this thread- loved Oliver on TDS (and he must live somewhere nearby, I see him a fair bit at one of our brunch spots)... but haven't been watching his show. Now I will.

Users who are viewing this thread