What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Oliver is the best thing on TV. (2 Viewers)

Yeah that was well done. This just handing out military grade equipment to police forces has to stop. As does the overuse of SWAT.
:goodposting:

The Doraville GA tank bit, is just embarrassing. This really is about a bunch of wannabe soldiers playing COD in real life.
That video was funny. The thing comes charging in full blast, almost skids out of control, the it sits there with the doors open for a few seconds, fires one smoke grenade, then more seconds, then the swat guys sort of saunter out in various directions...

Those guys are about as professional as a stick of gum

Yeah that was well done. This just handing out military grade equipment to police forces has to stop. As does the overuse of SWAT.
:goodposting:

The Doraville GA tank bit, is just embarrassing. This really is about a bunch of wannabe soldiers playing COD in real life.
I was reading about the Ferguson police and what they have. There were several guys back from Iraq/Afghanistan complaining the cops had better/more gear than they did in and they were in a war zone.

Watched this last night with my new free HBO.

He did a bit on the riots in Missouri. Absolutely perfect. He is really good.

Yeah, his spiel regarding the militarization of the police was spot on.

John Oliver's style, which is appropriate for this format, is to forego nuance while favoring unfair ridicule. The result is awesome when you agree with him and frustrating when you don't. Fortunately, I agree with him more often than not, as I did regarding the Ferguson stuff. But it takes some self-discipline to refrain from cheering while he's overselling his points.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Oliver's style, which is appropriate for this format, is to forego nuance while favoring unfair ridicule. The result is awesome when you agree with him and frustrating when you don't. Fortunately, I agree with him more often than not, as I did regarding the Ferguson stuff. But it takes some self-discipline to refrain from cheerleading while he's overselling his points.
I just cheer. I expect he'll go after something I disagree with him on at some point. I am sure he'll still be funny when he does so I'll laugh but probably not cheer.

John Oliver's style, which is appropriate for this format, is to forego nuance while favoring unfair ridicule. The result is awesome when you agree with him and frustrating when you don't. Fortunately, I agree with him more often than not, as I did regarding the Ferguson stuff. But it takes some self-discipline to refrain from cheerleading while he's overselling his points.
I just cheer. I expect he'll go after something I disagree with him on at some point. I am sure he'll still be funny when he does so I'll laugh but probably not cheer.
A lot of stuff I disagree with but he's funny and makes a good argument.

I think the bit on the militarization of the police is a little over-dramatic.

We have a history of militaristic responses to social unrest - its just generally been couched in terms of "calling in the National Guard" So, I don't find these state-sanctioned responses to be any more out of line than they were at Kent State. It may be that the "police" can now respond with more military resources than the National Guard, but it does not change the overall manner in which the government responds.

Having said that - we really should be better equipped to deal with social unrest than calling in the "Military Unit of your Choice". Its just not a very new phenomenon, nor is it really relevant that the local police force is doing it. It is a waste of taxpayer money, but that is a different issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

We have a history of militaristic responses to social unrest - its just generally been couched in terms of "calling in the National Guard" So, I don't find these state-sanctioned responses to be any more out of line than they were at Kent State. It may be that the "police" can now respond with more military resources than the National Guard, but it does not change the overall manner in which the government responds.

Having said that - we really should be better equipped to deal with social unrest than calling in the "Military Unit of your Choice". Its just not a very new phenomenon, nor is it really relevant that the local police force is doing it. It is a waste of taxpayer money, but that is a different issue.
I'm about as not liberal as we can call a poster here - we can agree on that right?

Ok. I agreed with him. Not so much for big city PD's that have military equipment - NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.. To me they need it given the perils of a major city. My concern is podunk local PD with all the good ol' boys that have all these flashy towys that they touch themselves over while watching RoadHouse. I have several PD's like that in the area. And if they have those toys they are going to use them. And use them they do. When you have a local PD that has less that 50 officers in a town of less than 30,000 people execute an arrest or search warrant by way of having every officer on the force called in and put in full armor and battle gear..... it screams of over compensation, steriods and stupidity. Those three things really don't mix with tanks and whatnot.

Well, thanks to the NRA everyone is armed to the teeth, and surely you want law enforcement to be protected from bad guys, so we need to make them better protected, and better armed.

And, by the way, since one of the reasons the 2nd amendment exists is to protect citizens from an overzealous government, we need to ensure the citizens have better weapons.

And since the citizens now have better weapons, we need to upgrade the local police with better weapons and safety gear, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons....

I'm about as not liberal as we can call a poster here - we can agree on that right?

Ok. I agreed with him. Not so much for big city PD's that have military equipment - NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.. To me they need it given the perils of a major city. My concern is podunk local PD with all the good ol' boys that have all these flashy towys that they touch themselves over while watching RoadHouse. I have several PD's like that in the area. And if they have those toys they are going to use them. And use them they do. When you have a local PD that has less that 50 officers in a town of less than 30,000 people execute an arrest or search warrant by way of having every officer on the force called in and put in full armor and battle gear..... it screams of over compensation, steriods and stupidity. Those three things really don't mix with tanks and whatnot.
Right. I can see a possible need, in NYC for example, for the ability to stage a seriously armed response to something in a large city with a wealth of targets. I can't see it in most cases or towns. I am sorry the average town doesn't need an armored vehicle. it doesn't need an armored police force. It doesn't need grenade launchers.

Well, thanks to the NRA everyone is armed to the teeth, and surely you want law enforcement to be protected from bad guys, so we need to make them better protected, and better armed.

And, by the way, since one of the reasons the 2nd amendment exists is to protect citizens from an overzealous government, we need to ensure the citizens have better weapons.

And since the citizens now have better weapons, we need to upgrade the local police with better weapons and safety gear, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons, which means the citizens need better weapons, which means the police need better weapons....
I don't agree with this. The hyperbole of the NRA and 2nd Amendment stuff aside I don't agree with the argument that if citizens are armed that means each individual officer and force needs better arms and it's a cascading effect. The logicial conclusion of that is that the NYPD should have a nuclear arsenal.

It's extremely extremely rare even in this day and age where a local PD is going to encounter more than 1 fully armed person that can cause massive damage - First Blood was not a documentary. And the PD doesn't operate in a vacuum anyway. If they are outgunned say going into a meth lab and there are 10 heavily armed persons in that lab and the PD doesn't have surface to air missles to take them out, the PD can call on neighboring PD's for support, the county level sheriff and SWAT for support, the state level force for support and if the zone is too dangeroud for all that you have the National Guard.

Lieutenant Jim Bob from the backwoods doesn't need a tank to deal with teenagers drinking after hours and drunk people peeing on the buildings in the resort town.

Yankee - i agree with you wholeheartedly. But the PR angle here, is what the industrial war complex is selling - you don't want to be the community where a cop gets killed because he did not have body armor. Or, your town's police is now the internet laughing stock, because they were outwitted/outgunned by an armed gang of bank robbers.

In an era where everything is a potential terrorist target, it is simply too easy to sell, and the public is so gullible it buys, the notion that your local community has to be prepared to fight a russian invasion.

Then, on top of that, since the US taxpayer has already funded the production, and profit, of these toys, you, the local taxpayer, can get them at a discount. Have you ever seen your wife justify something she bought on sale? It does not matter if she has no need for it, the fact that it was on sale makes everything OK.

I don't agree with this. The hyperbole of the NRA and 2nd Amendment stuff aside I don't agree with the argument that if citizens are armed that means each individual officer and force needs better arms and it's a cascading effect. The logicial conclusion of that is that the NYPD should have a nuclear arsenal.

It's extremely extremely rare even in this day and age where a local PD is going to encounter more than 1 fully armed person that can cause massive damage - First Blood was not a documentary. And the PD doesn't operate in a vacuum anyway. If they are outgunned say going into a meth lab and there are 10 heavily armed persons in that lab and the PD doesn't have surface to air missles to take them out, the PD can call on neighboring PD's for support, the county level sheriff and SWAT for support, the state level force for support and if the zone is too dangeroud for all that you have the National Guard.

Lieutenant Jim Bob from the backwoods doesn't need a tank to deal with teenagers drinking after hours and drunk people peeing on the buildings in the resort town.
Surface to air missiles would be pretty useless against a meth lab

HTH

;)

PS a Flash Bang might be a better option - preferably from afar

He just put one out on Student Debt. Was disappointed he stuck to just the for profit schools and didn't get into the state universities as well.

Just watched it.

As a bit of an Anglophile, the ineptitude of the No campaign is dead on. It's hilarious how awkward it's all been, and I didn't even know about that commercial with the woman fretting over the vote. *facepalm*

I vividly recall a trip to Edinburgh with my grandparents 30 years ago when the Scottish tour guides, any chance they could get, would piss on England. People who liken it to the American South are kidding themselves - there's a far, far greater divide there. Not even close.

I think John Oliver is very funny and I always learn something new every time. :thumbup:
One of the things I like about him is that he doesn't go easy on the left - he hits everyone. He was all over Obama in that net neutrality piece, and also in the drone attacks piece. As much as I like Jon Stewart (who is about as close of a comparison as you can get), JS goes easy on the left versus the right - over time you see his barbs aren't as pointed.

I think John Oliver is very funny and I always learn something new every time. :thumbup:
One of the things I like about him is that he doesn't go easy on the left - he hits everyone. He was all over Obama in that net neutrality piece, and also in the drone attacks piece. As much as I like Jon Stewart (who is about as close of a comparison as you can get), JS goes easy on the left versus the right - over time you see his barbs aren't as pointed.
i think the difference for JO is that he can spend a week preparing his show. Stewart has to react to the day's headlines. JO is a talking news topics instead.

Users who are viewing this thread