What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Oliver is the best thing on TV. (1 Viewer)

I think John Oliver is very funny and I always learn something new every time. :thumbup:
One of the things I like about him is that he doesn't go easy on the left - he hits everyone. He was all over Obama in that net neutrality piece, and also in the drone attacks piece. As much as I like Jon Stewart (who is about as close of a comparison as you can get), JS goes easy on the left versus the right - over time you see his barbs aren't as pointed.
And he is quite fair for an Englishman :lol:

I think John Oliver is very funny and I always learn something new every time. :thumbup:
One of the things I like about him is that he doesn't go easy on the left - he hits everyone. He was all over Obama in that net neutrality piece, and also in the drone attacks piece. As much as I like Jon Stewart (who is about as close of a comparison as you can get), JS goes easy on the left versus the right - over time you see his barbs aren't as pointed.
i think the difference for JO is that he can spend a week preparing his show. Stewart has to react to the day's headlines. JO is a talking news topics instead.
I don't disagree, but I don't think prep time has anything to do with editorial slant.

i think the difference for JO is that he can spend a week preparing his show. Stewart has to react to the day's headlines. JO is a talking news topics instead.
I don't disagree, but I don't think prep time has anything to do with editorial slant.
JO is topical whereas JS is sparring with pop culture and the media (which are often one and the same). i think that defines the editorial slant for each show. completely different constructs. while the best satire is funny, i wouldn't characterize JO's show as satire at all. JS is nothing but satire.

Another great episode, this time on civil forfeiture. It's pathetic that we get this great in depth reporting from a freaking HBO talk show.

We need to start a petition to Obama for each one of these episodes.

Another great episode, this time on civil forfeiture. It's pathetic that we get this great in depth reporting from a freaking HBO talk show. comedy hour.

Most important half-hour of television every week, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its uncanny how spot on he is. Plus he actually does investigative journalism backing it up with facts and evidence.

Have the last one on DVR but I love this show more and more. My wife is now on board with keeping HBO when the time comes.

I just got caught up on the last two episodes. The drone segment was very disturbing. I really like the show, but at the end of it I'm always somewhat depressed that it seems you have to veil serious political issues within comedy to get the message out - and that I'm as guilty of not paying attention outside of infotainment as most of the rest of the target audience.

I have said many times I would support impeachment over using drones to kill US citizens abroad. As mentioned in another thread would never happen. Both parties want that power. That's what's really scary. The GOP hates Obama with a spittle laced passion but they won't actually go after him on this because they want it for their guy.

I know JO likes to pick on people from MA but he should tell HbO to give him a bigger fact checking budget.http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2014/10/worcesters_zamboni_the_butt_of.html
Really the DA's office funds parks in MA? Do you not have a Parks Dept.?
JO just loved to say "Zamboni" on television.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20130215/News/302159874
To be fair who wouldn't?

I know JO likes to pick on people from MA but he should tell HbO to give him a bigger fact checking budget.http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2014/10/worcesters_zamboni_the_butt_of.html
Really the DA's office funds parks in MA? Do you not have a Parks Dept.?
JO just loved to say "Zamboni" on television.http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20130215/News/302159874
To be fair who wouldn't?
I will call myself Jamboni from now on. :thumbup:

I just got caught up on the last two episodes. The drone segment was very disturbing. I really like the show, but at the end of it I'm always somewhat depressed that it seems you have to veil serious political issues within comedy to get the message out - and that I'm as guilty of not paying attention outside of infotainment as most of the rest of the target audience.
the other option is to approach it like VICE. Now there is a show where you walk away feeling completely depressed.

the other option is to approach it like VICE. Now there is a show where you walk away feeling completely depressed.
I am not sure why he named his show "Last Week Tonight".

Rohn Jambo said:
Seems like he was exaggerating for humor but his point was still correct. People love pointing out "government waste" unless it's their waste and then they have reasons to justify it.
Yes, he was correct. But I suspect he was too chicken to pick on bigger guys, say the NYPD.

Rohn Jambo said:
Seems like he was exaggerating for humor but his point was still correct. People love pointing out "government waste" unless it's their waste and then they have reasons to justify it.
Yes, he was correct. But I suspect he was too chicken to pick on bigger guys, say the NYPD.
Yeah maybe, he films in NYC maybe wants to avoid pissing those guys off. I need to watch the whole segment. I missed the first couple of minutes but it the parts I saw was crazy. Hadn't really heard too much about this story.

Rohn Jambo said:
Yeah maybe, he films in NYC maybe wants to avoid pissing those guys off. I need to watch the whole segment. I missed the first couple of minutes but it the parts I saw was crazy. Hadn't really heard too much about this story.
For now, JO focuses primarily on important news that are not covered by the major news networks. I think it is a shark move.

It's funny, but also handles the actual news better than nearly every news show out there.

Another great episode, this time on civil forfeiture. It's pathetic that we get this great in depth reporting from a freaking HBO talk show.

Watched that episode last night. That was shocking. Here's the link to the Washington Post article.

It's a 3 Part story, this is the portion about people who basically just get money stolen from them by the police: shakedown

Watched that episode last night. That was shocking. Here's the link to the Washington Post article.

It's a 3 Part story, this is the portion about people who basically just get money stolen from them by the police: shakedown
John Oliver is like Clark Ken. He is a superhero against American corruption. :thumbup:

All the longer segments of his show are on YouTube and not a single one is a dud.

I love Oliver and the work he is doing. But what a sad statement on the state of televised reporting when a comedian is doing some of the best long form investigative reporting out there. I guess we should be glad at least someone is.

I love Oliver and the work he is doing. But what a sad statement on the state of televised reporting when a comedian is doing some of the best long form investigative reporting out there. I guess we should be glad at least someone is.
No surprise that he isn't even an American.

Who says the "journalists" on cable news networks aren't comedians?

Users who are viewing this thread