What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Punk/ Hardcore Music Thread (1 Viewer)

I don't know if either band exactly counts, but the Stooges and Fugazi are both awesome.

Bad Brains and Minor Threat both came out of DC and were key to my youth. Then Fugazi formed after Minor Threat broke up.

I don't know if either band exactly counts, but the Stooges and Fugazi are both awesome.

Bad Brains and Minor Threat both came out of DC and were key to my youth. Then Fugazi formed after Minor Threat broke up.
I think both count. Stooges are called proto-punk these days, and Fugazi has to be at least DIY/punk.

Bad Brains and Minor Threat are perfect DC hardcore bands to mention. Legends, both.

In the word draft, the letter "I" would have been perfectly and completely covered by Bad Brains. I

As a teenager, I was in the original 9:30 Club all the time in the 80s so my hardcore was DC-centric also. Bad Brains (even HR's solo stuff), Minor Threat, Government Issue, etc. Ian Mackaye from Minor Threat/Fugazi did great with Dischord records and kept a lot of bands stuff out there.

You are really in my wheelhouse here. I was living in Minneapolis in the mid-90's when these guys owned the scene in that town. Them and Lifter Puller (which featured Craig Finn, lead singer of the Hold Steady). Saw them at least a dozen times, including opening for/ playing with Avail, Leatherface, Pegboy, 7 Seconds, Mighty Mighty Bosstones and others I can't remember.

One of my favorite songs ever:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4YtTxV7UAo

You are really in my wheelhouse here. I was living in Minneapolis in the mid-90's when these guys owned the scene in that town. Them and Lifter Puller (which featured Craig Finn, lead singer of the Hold Steady). Saw them at least a dozen times, including opening for/ playing with Avail, Leatherface, Pegboy, 7 Seconds, Mighty Mighty Bosstones and others I can't remember.

You cannot #### with Avail's live show. Dear God.

I always felt like Bad Brains didn't get enough love. Maybe it was just the guys I hung out with, but I was the only person I really knew that loved that band, despite the fact that the whole crew liked punk and I Against I was a seminal album.

This is my favorite BB track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZBzPpKydc

You cannot #### with Avail's live show. Dear God.
Nope. Best show I ever saw was Leatherface, Dillinger Four, Avail at First Avenue in probably 2000 or so. Mindblowing. Lots of bruises and ears ringing for two days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5A3q4pRCIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjiFhtTejA

Chills indeed

Two personal garage punk (no HC) favorites from the 90's, among my favorites ever. Crypt records ruled! Exclamation points!!!!

Teengenerate - Get Action!

New Bomb Turks - !!Destroy-Oh-Boy!!
I saw Teengenerate open for New Bomb Turks at some bar in St. Cloud, MN in the '95 tour. Bought the Get Action LP and had Fink sign it. "Don't forget to wipe your ###. -Fink" Eric Davidson from New Bomb Turks wore my glasses for a song. Good show.

Two personal garage punk (no HC) favorites from the 90's, among my favorites ever. Crypt records ruled! Exclamation points!!!!

Teengenerate - Get Action!

New Bomb Turks - !!Destroy-Oh-Boy!!
I saw Teengenerate open for New Bomb Turks at some bar in St. Cloud, MN in the '95 tour. Bought the Get Action LP and had Fink sign it. "Don't forget to wipe your ###. -Fink" Eric Davidson from New Bomb Turks wore my glasses for a song. Good show.
:lol: Would've loved to have seen that.

I always felt like Bad Brains didn't get enough love. Maybe it was just the guys I hung out with, but I was the only person I really knew that loved that band, despite the fact that the whole crew liked punk and I Against I was a seminal album.

This is my favorite BB track:

I don't want to be friends with anyone that doesn't like bad brains.

This is my favorite BB track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZBzPpKydc
They were great. To paraphrase Dash Rip Rock, Dr. Know shredded faster than Slayer. Bad Brains are cited as a major influence by all kinds of musicians like the Beastie Boys (they started as a hardcore punk band), Fishbone, Henry Rollins, Living Colour, Minor Threat and Ian Mackaye, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.

I against I

I watched The Punk Singer, a documentary about Kathleen Hanna yesterday. Really good.
Saw that one. It was really good. Late stage Lyme disease? Interesting. I'd never liked Bikini Kill back in the 90's. I actually liked Bratmobile more, for some reason. But that is a worthwhile documentary, IMO

eta* I started a thread a few months ago about it here. No replies, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
rockaction said:
Celph Titled said:
I watched The Punk Singer, a documentary about Kathleen Hanna yesterday. Really good.
Saw that one. It was really good. Late stage Lyme disease? Interesting. I'd never liked Bikini Kill back in the 90's. I actually liked Bratmobile more, for some reason. But that is a worthwhile documentary, IMO

Yeah, I'm not a fan of all their stuff, but "Rebel Girl" is pretty undeniable.

I'm just realizing she's not married to the Beastie Boy who died. :mellow:

rockaction said:
Celph Titled said:

Rebel Girl really is undeniable, in retrospect. I guess I never thought they were PUNK enough, being so affiliated with Sonic Youth and festival touring and stuff, even though I was dead wrong. And their songs were over three minutes long, IIRC!!! Forget that.

Ad Rock is still alive, BTW. It's not MCA, who passed from cancer. She's well taken care of, which is another irony they skate by in the film, which is another reason it is so interesting.

rockaction said:
Celph Titled said:

Rebel Girl really is undeniable, in retrospect. I guess I never thought they were PUNK enough, being so affiliated with Sonic Youth and festival touring and stuff, even though I was dead wrong. And their songs were over three minutes long, IIRC!!! Forget that.

Ad Rock is still alive, BTW. It's not MCA, who passed from cancer. She's well taken care of, which is another irony they skate by in the film, which is another reason it is so interesting.
That documentary is definitely a love letter. But I think a viewer can probably assume that, being married to a Beastie Boy, she's doing OK. Because of "You've Gotta Fight For Your Right to Party", ultimately. Oh the irony.

I'm a metalhead that grew up in the 80's and missed out on the real punk scene. I really wish I would have had those early influences but I was into later stuff like Bad Brains, Suicidal, SOD. I loved Carnivore (Pete Steele before Type O ) and think they don't get enough attention for their crossover. Another favorite was Leeway. I big song that gave a boost to punk with metalheads was when Megadeth did Anarchy.

I thought the most interesting part of the RocknRoll Hall of Fame museum was the punk section.

Mission of Burma is one of my top 10 bands but I don't really consider them "punk". Tough band to label for me

Agreed. I just remember they were included on that punk/HC comp, but I also do remember that the entire album sounded so different when I finally bought it years later.

Rhino also put That's When I Reach For My Revolver on this, so they apparently were distinguishing like you were.

some really good stuff on that

3. Loretta - Nervous Eaters 5. Better Off Dead - La Peste 6. You're All I've Got Tonight (Demo) - The Cars 7. No Place Like Home - The Neighborhoods 8. Jackie Onassis - Human Sexual Response 10. That's When I Reach For My Revolver - Mission Of Burma 12. I Want To Help You Ann - The Lyres 13. 6 - Neats 14. Hey! (Not Another Face In The Crowd) - Thrills 15. When Things Go Wrong - Robin Lane & The Chartbusters 16. Lonelyhearts - The Atlantics 19. Knock Me Down - The Outlets

I'm a metalhead that grew up in the 80's and missed out on the real punk scene. I really wish I would have had those early influences but I was into later stuff like Bad Brains, Suicidal, SOD. I loved Carnivore (Pete Steele before Type O ) and think they don't get enough attention for their crossover. Another favorite was Leeway. I big song that gave a boost to punk with metalheads was when Megadeth did Anarchy.

I thought the most interesting part of the RocknRoll Hall of Fame museum was the punk section.
Carnivore is one of my favorite bands of all time, just awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gErz-TJY2nA

Users who are viewing this thread