What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Punk/ Hardcore Music Thread (1 Viewer)

I have a good friend who is close to a bunch of DMS guys. We used to show up at CBs on random Friday nights and catch a set or two.

MCA from the Beastie Boys was there a few times. Not a very friendly guy, but it was cool he would strap on the bass for a song or two with Madball or AF, can't recall who. He was a hardcore guy before any of his mainstream success. This was probably mid 2000s.
chances are, we have been at the same shows. I was friendly with the guys from H2O. Was in a band with todd friend and adam blake for a quick minute. We played CBs. Im pretty sure ive posted the video on these boards at some point.I know EG and I were at wetlands shows together. My favorite venue was Coney Island high
I got kicked out of Coney Island High when I was 17 for sneaking in 40s with a friend of mine.

I'm a metalhead that grew up in the 80's and missed out on the real punk scene. I really wish I would have had those early influences but I was into later stuff like Bad Brains, Suicidal, SOD. I loved Carnivore (Pete Steele before Type O ) and think they don't get enough attention for their crossover. Another favorite was Leeway. I big song that gave a boost to punk with metalheads was when Megadeth did Anarchy.

I thought the most interesting part of the RocknRoll Hall of Fame museum was the punk section.
Please elaborate on this. I've been wanting to visit the RnR HOF for a long time, but I don't seem to get to Cleveland very often. I was under the assumption that there would not be much there regarding punk. What sort of stuff do they have?

Also, as an aside, I've been wondering if there are any punk acts in the HOF. And regardless of the answer, we could speculate on which, if any, might deserve to be there.

I nominate NOFX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xniqEA6ZPuU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqsA-lQxjh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSb3nG4oTNQ
The Ramones, The Clash, The Stooges, and the Sex Pistols are bands that I'm pretty sure are in. And then I subsequently Googled and they are all indeed inducted.

How many nominees do we get? What is the criteria? Two that immediately come to mind are The Dead Boys and The Damned. The Buzzcocks, too, of course. And Wire, if they're considered punk.

I'll let others nominate after those.

Here's a cool article with some proto-punk bands that haven't made it, including several of my favorites (Dolls, MC5)

https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-music/20-artists-missing-rock-roll-hall-fame-185814255.html
I ####### love the Dead Boys, but hard to call anyone HOF with only 2 albums. Stiv is the perfect punk front man. Speaking of perfect pieces of bands, this has a strong case:

Vocals: Stiv

Guitar: Johnny Thunders

Bass: Dee Dee Ramone :wub:

Turns out these guys did an album together. Stiv Batoirs: Last Race. I found out about it in HS and spent years trying to track it down. The internet finally started earning it's keep and I found a French record label that was selling it. I wrote them an email and they had me send them a money order for the CD. I was so freaking stoked. A couple months later it came it the mail. Nothing could have lived up to the build up I had for this album, and this was no exception. There's some good stuff on there including better recorded version of Dee Dee's Poison Heart, bt overall it is way less than the some of there parts.
:goodposting:

Yeah, I more go for impact than longevity, but that's for everyone else to decide. I found Young, Loud, and Snotty back in '93, back when I was staying at my brother's in San Diego -- they had this Taang! record store on Mission Beach (?) I think. Anyway, I was way into punk, and it has stuck with me ever since. Catch me on a weird night, and I'll nominate a weirdly personal and non-consensus band fetish of mine. I still think the New Bomb Turks's first album was one of the greatest in punk history, which never sits right with most proper punks. Same with the Crumbs's s/t on Lookout! in '97, which is all but dead and completely out of print. I don't think anybody loves that album more than I do. But then again, they wear their influences on their sleeve with songs like "Dead Boys Too," so there's that.

As for the Batoirs, that is a great, great band line-up. Sadly, I'm not surprised that there was no way it could have ever lived up to what you'd expect from those three guys. I remember buying Thunders's Diary Of a Lover and just hating it. I loved the Dolls and the Stooges in high school as a glam aficionado, which is kind of a weird way to get to those bands. I got there through trash and glam and Hit Parader reviews moreso than proto-punk leanings. I loved punk in high school, too, but the punkers back in the late 80's and early 90's weren't the people listening to Johnny Thunders. My area was largely NYHC or CTHC at the time, and punk was kind of something you had to traverse yourself. My point, I guess, is: Those trash junkies will kind of always let you down with their side projects. Actually, my prejudice about that has kept me from ever even owning L.A.M.F., which seems to be a horrible mistake as I sit here listening to it because of your post.

As for Me First and the Gimme Gimmes intros, that's probably the coolest little bit of trivia I've heard in a long time. I had their first album, and never, ever caught that. Awesome.

eta* Actually, anybody into the Dolls/Stooges/MC5 will love this, so I'll post the L.A.M.F. link I'm listening to, which is just unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYNM6_O3MjU
Taang! records in Mission Beach was awesome. Crazy how a small record shop like that had beach front property. I remember finding some gems in there when I first moved here. Think they were some old Sloppy Seconds records. They eventually moved to Hillcrest neighborhood. Still kicking last I checked. Sloppy Seconds, one of the greatest live punk shows I've seen. I had never heard of them before the small little punk show. Blew me away. Man, I loved going to see bands I've never heard of before. Now, no way. Plus I guess it is kind of impossible to never hear a band before the show these days with youtube and the innerwebds and such.

Stiv had some decent solo songs, but for the most part those albums are disappointing because, well, they aren't The Dead Boys! And we needed more Dead Boys. Funny that Lords of the New Church was so much more "successful" than The Dead Boys.

Johnny did some great solo work. He had some demons and wasn't afraid to let explore them. Played and sang with all heart.

Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TknY89kECq0

Just found this. Johnny playing Dead Flowers at Stiv's memorial (just audio).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4udRfvVJWek

Last edited by a moderator:
Taang! records was where I first bought I Against I the day after I moved to SD way back when. That record will forever remind me of SD and Taang! Shocked and saddened to hear they moved to Hillcrest. The beachfront location was amazing.

Taang! records was where I first bought I Against I the day after I moved to SD way back when. That record will forever remind me of SD and Taang! Shocked and saddened to hear they moved to Hillcrest. The beachfront location was amazing.
I'm just glad a record shop like that is still in business. Not many left.

Sebowski said:
I have a good friend who is close to a bunch of DMS guys. We used to show up at CBs on random Friday nights and catch a set or two.

MCA from the Beastie Boys was there a few times. Not a very friendly guy, but it was cool he would strap on the bass for a song or two with Madball or AF, can't recall who. He was a hardcore guy before any of his mainstream success. This was probably mid 2000s.
chances are, we have been at the same shows. I was friendly with the guys from H2O. Was in a band with todd friend and adam blake for a quick minute. We played CBs. Im pretty sure ive posted the video on these boards at some point.I know EG and I were at wetlands shows together. My favorite venue was Coney Island high
I got kicked out of Coney Island High when I was 17 for sneaking in 40s with a friend of mine.
didnt know you were a ny guy. Probably been to shows you were at also

Sebowski said:
rockaction said:
Sebowski said:
I'm a metalhead that grew up in the 80's and missed out on the real punk scene. I really wish I would have had those early influences but I was into later stuff like Bad Brains, Suicidal, SOD. I loved Carnivore (Pete Steele before Type O ) and think they don't get enough attention for their crossover. Another favorite was Leeway. I big song that gave a boost to punk with metalheads was when Megadeth did Anarchy.

I thought the most interesting part of the RocknRoll Hall of Fame museum was the punk section.
Please elaborate on this. I've been wanting to visit the RnR HOF for a long time, but I don't seem to get to Cleveland very often. I was under the assumption that there would not be much there regarding punk. What sort of stuff do they have?

Also, as an aside, I've been wondering if there are any punk acts in the HOF. And regardless of the answer, we could speculate on which, if any, might deserve to be there.

I nominate NOFX.

The Ramones, The Clash, The Stooges, and the Sex Pistols are bands that I'm pretty sure are in. And then I subsequently Googled and they are all indeed inducted.

How many nominees do we get? What is the criteria? Two that immediately come to mind are The Dead Boys and The Damned. The Buzzcocks, too, of course. And Wire, if they're considered punk.

Here's a cool article with some proto-punk bands that haven't made it, including several of my favorites (Dolls, MC5)

https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-music/20-artists-missing-rock-roll-hall-fame-185814255.html
I ####### love the Dead Boys, but hard to call anyone HOF with only 2 albums. Stiv is the perfect punk front man. Speaking of perfect pieces of bands, this has a strong case:

Turns out these guys did an album together. Stiv Batoirs: Last Race. I found out about it in HS and spent years trying to track it down. The internet finally started earning it's keep and I found a French record label that was selling it. I wrote them an email and they had me send them a money order for the CD. I was so freaking stoked. A couple months later it came it the mail. Nothing could have lived up to the build up I had for this album, and this was no exception. There's some good stuff on there including better recorded version of Dee Dee's Poison Heart, bt overall it is way less than the some of there parts.

Yeah, I more go for impact than longevity, but that's for everyone else to decide. I found Young, Loud, and Snotty back in '93, back when I was staying at my brother's in San Diego -- they had this Taang! record store on Mission Beach (?) I think. Anyway, I was way into punk, and it has stuck with me ever since. Catch me on a weird night, and I'll nominate a weirdly personal and non-consensus band fetish of mine. I still think the New Bomb Turks's first album was one of the greatest in punk history, which never sits right with most proper punks. Same with the Crumbs's s/t on Lookout! in '97, which is all but dead and completely out of print. I don't think anybody loves that album more than I do. But then again, they wear their influences on their sleeve with songs like "Dead Boys Too," so there's that.

As for the Batoirs, that is a great, great band line-up. Sadly, I'm not surprised that there was no way it could have ever lived up to what you'd expect from those three guys. I remember buying Thunders's Diary Of a Lover and just hating it. I loved the Dolls and the Stooges in high school as a glam aficionado, which is kind of a weird way to get to those bands. I got there through trash and glam and Hit Parader reviews moreso than proto-punk leanings. I loved punk in high school, too, but the punkers back in the late 80's and early 90's weren't the people listening to Johnny Thunders. My area was largely NYHC or CTHC at the time, and punk was kind of something you had to traverse yourself. My point, I guess, is: Those trash junkies will kind of always let you down with their side projects. Actually, my prejudice about that has kept me from ever even owning L.A.M.F., which seems to be a horrible mistake as I sit here listening to it because of your post.

As for Me First and the Gimme Gimmes intros, that's probably the coolest little bit of trivia I've heard in a long time. I had their first album, and never, ever caught that. Awesome.

eta* Actually, anybody into the Dolls/Stooges/MC5 will love this, so I'll post the L.A.M.F. link I'm listening to, which is just unreal.

Taang! records in Mission Beach was awesome. Crazy how a small record shop like that had beach front property. I remember finding some gems in there when I first moved here. Think they were some old Sloppy Seconds records. They eventually moved to Hillcrest neighborhood. Still kicking last I checked. Sloppy Seconds, one of the greatest live punk shows I've seen. I had never heard of them before the small little punk show. Blew me away. Man, I loved going to see bands I've never heard of before. Now, no way. Plus I guess it is kind of impossible to never hear a band before the show these days with youtube and the innerwebds and such.

Stiv had some decent solo songs, but for the most part those albums are disappointing because, well, they aren't The Dead Boys! And we needed more Dead Boys. Funny that Lords of the New Church was so much more "successful" than The Dead Boys.

Johnny did some great solo work. He had some demons and wasn't afraid to let explore them. Played and sang with all heart.

That's weird that three of us have distinct memories of that Taang! store. It was so odd to be spending the summer out there and find a punk store on the beach. That store was also where I bought In On The Kill Taker, which I listened to a lot during my time there. I was going to a Central New York, preppy U at the time (all Phish and jam bands and a lot of girls that were into the neo-hippie scene) and the first or second day I wander into Taang!, there's a gorgeous San Diegan girl on roller skates with knee-highs picking up Black Flag's The First Four Years. This did not compute from what I'd seen my first year at school.

Huzzah!

As far as the links, I liked them. I love Johnny Thunders's guitar playing. I really love the Dolls. I think I've listened to those Dolls albums -- plus the live ones and the unreleased Red Patent Leather/Seven Day Weekend combo -- close to literally thousands of times. I'd heard Born To Lose and Chinese Rocks before, just never, pre-internet days, risked the quid on L.A.M.F. or his others after I bought Diary and was so disappointed. I mean, you'd think that after the Devil Dogs put out an EP called L.B.M.F. and highly recommended the album, that a huge fan of that stuff would have picked it up, but no. Anyway, I'm glad you posted this -- something about it caused me to check it out again.

Wow, Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory sounds a lot -- a lot -- like Lonely Planet Boy, but still cool.

Anyway, that Me First stuff was funny with the Dead Boys, just not on the record I owned. Had to listen to see if I was missing something. I think that "Have A Ball" just launches right into the covers, without those intros. Just listened to the Loggins and Denver ones, and they don't riff on any classic punk tunes that I can hear. Could just be me.

I don't think it's all that great or neat to meet a "famous person", but yeah, I met Matt Freeman once. That's different.
being from ny and knowing how small the scene was, I knew some guys in bands. Not best friends but well enough to get backstage passes for warped tour, sold merch a few times etc. I was on Rancids bus once (dont know them, I was a tag along) and it was a weird vibe. Some anti semitic stuff from Lars. I didnt stick around long.

Any other fans of John Reis/Rick Froberg stuff like Hot Snakes, Drive Like Jehu, Rocket from the Crypt? I'm more partial to Froberg myself, he's a better singer plus RFTC's best stuff sounds a little stale with the horns and what not. Love Drive Like Jehu. Even Froberg's latest band Obits is pretty outstanding.. guy's been making good tunes since the 80's. Great visual artist too. I guess what I'm saying is, I would blow Rick Froberg.

speedo fork
I love RFTC but could not get into any of the other bands you mentioned. That San Diego cargo records scene did lead me to heavy vegetable and 3 mile pilot. RFTC was the loudest band I've ever heard live. I've worn ear plugs since.

Tommy Ramone, aka Thomas Erdelyi, the last surviving member of the original Ramones died today at his home in Ridgewood, Queens. He was 65 and had been in hospice care following treatment for cancer of the bile duct. The time of death was 12:15pm. Claudia Tienan, his partner of 40 years, asked Andy Schwartz, former editor of NY Rocker to make the announcement of his passing.

Tommy Ramone, aka Thomas Erdelyi, the last surviving member of the original Ramones died today at his home in Ridgewood, Queens. He was 65 and had been in hospice care following treatment for cancer of the bile duct. The time of death was 12:15pm. Claudia Tienan, his partner of 40 years, asked Andy Schwartz, former editor of NY Rocker to make the announcement of his passing.
Heard about this from a text from my HS friend who lent me my first Ramones tape (All the Stuff and More Vol. 1) as he was on a train to come see me. I had All the Stuff and More Vol. 2 playing in my car at the time as I was going to pick him up from the train station.

Like GPJ said, I was never a star seeker or autograph guy, but I cherish the time Joey Ramone stepped on my foot and then we talked for 10mins and just shaking Dee Dee's hand once less than a year before he died.

My only other happy punk rock celebrity moment is semi relevant here as well. I went to a Mike Watt solo show a few weeks after Joey died. Mike Watt was just sitting at the bar and we talked for 20 minutes about The Ramones and punk rock. Mike Watt, btw, is one of the nicest mother ####ers I've ever met in any walk of life. I've drunkendly replied to his news emails a fews times with what ever crossed my mind a few times and he always responds.

Greatest Bass player of all time, btw. Across all genres. If any of you don't mind the jazz/jammy kind of thing and you are already in this thread you need to check out Banyan. Lots of different versions of them when they play live. My favorite times are when it is Watt, Stephen Perkins, and Nels Cline. One time they also had a horn guy that was suppose to be famous, but I don't remember who it was. I ran into him the night before a banyan show once and asked him if he was going to play Little Johnny Jewel, which I had seen him kill solo before, and he said sure. He starts the set saying something like "we're going to jam on this ting Perkins has never played played before" and then the just crushed Little Johnny Jewel for like 15 minutes. It was awesome.

Sebowski said:

didnt know you were a ny guy. Probably been to shows you were at also
I'm not. Just some various ties there that has led me to sporadic visits there since I was a senior in HS. That Coney Island year I was up there with my BFF at the time visiting his older sister at Stoney Brook. We took the train into the city a lot that summer. That was the year I met Joey actually. Went to The Continental to see Joey Ramones Unsigned Bands Fest. I fell in love with the East Village. Bought a Dead Boys shirt and an Operation Ivy bootleg VHS with the worst video quality, but it also sounded like ####.

Didn't see many shows there, but there may be one big one we could have been to together. One of my favorite shows I've ever been to. Motorhead opening for some band called Black Sabbath (I didn't care about that at the time) at a pretty famous place. At least I remember it being famous. But son of a ##### I can't remember it now. ####, I think Social Distortion might have pulled the curtains that night, but I could be mixing up shows. It was like a ballroom kind of place.

Sebowski said:
rockaction said:
Sebowski said:

I nominate NOFX.

That's weird that three of us have distinct memories of that Taang! store. It was so odd to be spending the summer out there and find a punk store on the beach. That store was also where I bought In On The Kill Taker, which I listened to a lot during my time there. I was going to a Central New York, preppy U at the time (all Phish and jam bands and a lot of girls that were into the neo-hippie scene) and the first or second day I wander into Taang!, there's a gorgeous San Diegan girl on roller skates with knee-highs picking up Black Flag's The First Four Years. This did not compute from what I'd seen my first year at school.

Huzzah!

As far as the links, I liked them. I love Johnny Thunders's guitar playing. I really love the Dolls. I think I've listened to those Dolls albums -- plus the live ones and the unreleased Red Patent Leather/Seven Day Weekend combo -- close to literally thousands of times. I'd heard Born To Lose and Chinese Rocks before, just never, pre-internet days, risked the quid on L.A.M.F. or his others after I bought Diary and was so disappointed. I mean, you'd think that after the Devil Dogs put out an EP called L.B.M.F. and highly recommended the album, that a huge fan of that stuff would have picked it up, but no. Anyway, I'm glad you posted this -- something about it caused me to check it out again.

Wow, Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory sounds a lot -- a lot -- like Lonely Planet Boy, but still cool.

Anyway, that Me First stuff was funny with the Dead Boys, just not on the record I owned. Had to listen to see if I was missing something. I think that "Have A Ball" just launches right into the covers, without those intros. Just listened to the Loggins and Denver ones, and they don't riff on any classic punk tunes that I can hear. Could just be me.
Awesome San Diego story.

You're right about the Me First thing. I just cycled through the intros of Have a Ball and there is nothing there. I recognized so many through their catalog over the years that I assumed it was on all their songs. I just thought if I didn't recognize it, I didn't know what they were riffing. I've got some homework to do. I know it his on a bulk of them.

Here is the Black Flag Six Pack intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koxmm-xFbR8&index=3&list=PL764355715E1CB6BC

London Calling intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-c4S7Jholc&index=12&list=PL764355715E1CB6BC

ETA: Just ran into this. What I love about Me First is that they don't even speed some things up at all. Punk isn't just speed. Here is their version of Don't Cry for me Argentina over Madonna's movie footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uv0c9kMcf0&list=PL764355715E1CB6BC&index=18

I don't think it's all that great or neat to meet a "famous person", but yeah, I met Matt Freeman once. That's different.
Shared a bottle of Jameson with Jello Biafra and Jessika Von Rabbit backstage recently at a club. Jello is a cool guy.
I once took a piss next to Kevin Seconds right before he went on stage. Only recognized him because of the eye-black.

I had a few run ins with The Ramones. Again, as a tag along.

One of my buddies knew Arturu Vega pretty well. Im pretty sure he is the guy who created the ramones logo. So for some odd reason, we go to Arties house for the mtv music awards. Dee Dee is there and I say nice to meet you when introduced. Anyway, he doesn't stay long as he became agitated and angry by Kid Rocks performance. He thought he started the rock/rap thing and thought it should have been him. He bailed right after the performance which was pretty early iirc

Then, on Dec 17, 1999 my band played the cyber punk Ramones show at CBs. We came in second place and got to play with CJ Ramone. First place got to play with Joey. The winners were a Ramones cover band. We couldn't compete. Best non family moment of my life

RIP Tommy and thanks

One of my buddies knew Arturu Vega pretty well. Im pretty sure he is the guy who created the ramones logo. So for some odd reason, we go to Arties house for the mtv music awards. Dee Dee is there and I say nice to meet you when introduced. Anyway, he doesn't stay long as he became agitated and angry by Kid Rocks performance. He thought he started the rock/rap thing and thought it should have been him. He bailed right after the performance which was pretty early iirc

Then, on Dec 17, 1999 my band played the cyber punk Ramones show at CBs. We came in second place and got to play with CJ Ramone. First place got to play with Joey. The winners were a Ramones cover band. We couldn't compete. Best non family moment of my life

RIP Tommy and thanks
Just last night the Indie Channel was showing this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805631/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptLoe0ivLdo

RIP Tommy and thanks
Just last night the Indie Channel was showing this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805631/
sweet. Thanks for the link

RIP Tommy and thanks
The only "odd" thing I came away with was how it was done in California when The Ramones were a New York band. :shrug:

RIP Tommy and thanks

Outstanding. Will watch this tonight after the wife goes to bed. Thanks, LH.

http://www.spin.com/articles/ramones-press-bio-1975-tommy-ramone-death/

Tommy wrote this press bio in '75

"The Ramones are not an oldies group, they are not a glitter group, they don't play boogie music and they don't play the blues. The Ramones are an original Rock and Roll group of 1975, and their songs are brief, to the point and every one a potential hit single..

The quartette consists of Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, and Tommy Ramone, Johnny, the guitarist, plays with such force that his sound has been compared to a hundred howitzers going off. Joey, the lead singer, is an arch villain whose lanky frame stands threatening center stage. Dee Dee is Bass guitar and the acknowledged handsome one of the group, and Tommy is the drummer whose pulsating playing launches the throbbing sound of the band.

The Ramones all originate from Forest Hills and kids who grew up there either became musicians, degenerates or dentists. The Ramones are a little of each. Their sound is not unlike a fast drill on a rear molar."

:thumbup:

I'll throw in my brush with fame stories:

In like early 97 I was working at a dinky radio station in Iowa with this guy who really wanted to start a fanzine. I was super into it so long story short I made some phone calls and ended up getting passes to a Descendants show and interviewing their bassist Karl Alvarez. Cool dude, graciously answered all my questions. They put on a helluva show, too.

Also had a few run-ins with the guys in Pegboy, as I seemed to get to their shows no matter where I was, Minneapolis, Wisconsin, Chicago, even caught them in Tempe, AZ once. Lead singer Larry was a very down to earth and approachable guy. Got them all to sign a set list from their Tempe show. Have it framed.

Herb said:
Leroy Hoard said:
AcerFC said:

RIP Tommy and thanks

God, that was great. I drank a bottle of Adam Carolla's Mangria and went nuts on that movie. I was actually in tears a couple of times thinking about how important this band was to me, and watching all these other luminaries wax poetic about how they felt the same way I do. The influence the Ramones had was insane. I will never understand how they didn't become one of the biggest rock bands ever. If my wife and I ever have a girl the poor woman's going to have to do some serious persuading if she wants to name the child anything other than Sheena.

Because of this, of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGgfHZ02I2k

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDoqw51G3Do

Herb said:
Leroy Hoard said:
AcerFC said:

RIP Tommy and thanks

God, that was great. I drank a bottle of Adam Carolla's Mangria and went nuts on that movie. I was actually in tears a couple of times thinking about how important this band was to me, and watching all these other luminaries wax poetic about how they felt the same way I do. The influence the Ramones had was insane. I will never understand how they didn't become one of the biggest rock bands ever. If my wife and I ever have a girl the poor woman's going to have to do some serious persuading if she wants to name the child anything other than Sheena.

Because of this, of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGgfHZ02I2k

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDoqw51G3Do
I'm not a Johnny fan. It is very conflicting for me and I won't get into it on the internet, so I'll just say I rank him 4th of the 4.

I should probably give this documentary a look, but I'm pretty sure it won't change my mind.

ETA: But I obviously respect his contributions and don't begrudge any love for him from anyone else.

ETA2: That was way more dramatic than I ever like to be, or was warranted.

RIP Tommy and thanks
I've often said that watching a bands rockumentary is the worse thing a fan can do because it so often ruins ones idealistic impressions. End of The Century confirmed that for me with the Ramones. DeeDee comes off as kind of a typical guy who is totally messed up by many years of heavy partying to the point where he really can't articulate a coherent thought, but otherwise a decent guy and a cool cat. Johnny and Joey are both just freaks, completely intolerable personalities. It's hard to imagine having to successfully work with either of them, much less with the two together in a band. Neither seems to have an iota of punk rock in him, yet they made some of the best punk rock music of my lifetime.

Just got back from see Ing The Copyrights and 7 Seconds. Not two bands that really belong on the same small bill, but awesome show. Copyrights are my favorite current punk band, and Seconds and legends. Gray show.

RIP Tommy and thanks
Blackdot for when I'm up for it.

I don't know if ive lost the love.

Threw on faction last night and they played a new song by downset. These guys are from Cali, so I'm sure truck has seen them a few times. They used to be a favorite of mine. Favorite songs include Anger and Empower (couldn't find mobile versions of either to link). I have seen them many times live and considered them to put on great shows.

Anyway, their new song, one blood comes on and I could not believe this was the same band. I thought the song sucked but couldn't turn it off as I was dumbfounded. It sounds like a bad 1996 rip off of lord ezec and skarhead and that is no compliment.

Is it me, or does this song suck

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P7gh6Prn73M

Threw on faction last night and they played a new song by downset. These guys are from Cali, so I'm sure truck has seen them a few times. They used to be a favorite of mine. Favorite songs include Anger and Empower (couldn't find mobile versions of either to link). I have seen them many times live and considered them to put on great shows.

Anyway, their new song, one blood comes on and I could not believe this was the same band. I thought the song sucked but couldn't turn it off as I was dumbfounded. It sounds like a bad 1996 rip off of lord ezec and skarhead and that is no compliment.

Wrong end of the state. I'm pretty down on a lot of newer-ish Socal stuff.

for some reason I thought you were from san diego. Updates notebook

Just saw Stiff Little Fingers, Pennywise, and Bad Religion at Port Canaveral on Saturday. Offspring were there too but they were terrible and soul-less. They couldn't even rescue themselves by playing Smash in its entirety.

Stiff Little Fingers - awesome and great to see these guys again. Hearing "Alternative Ulster" live again really took me back.

Pennywise - meh, Fletcher up to his usual tricks and all due respect but I'm done with Bro Hymn at this point.

BR - started off rough but got it together within a couple songs. Can't believe how great these guys are live still, although with the departure of Hetson now its just two original members unless Mr. Brett shows up. No love from him at this show. The new kid from the Cult is a good guitarist but I miss Hetson's energy. Wackerman is just insane on drums.

Yeah that's Sebowski. I'm in the Bay Area.

Just saw Stiff Little Fingers, Pennywise, and Bad Religion at Port Canaveral on Saturday. Offspring were there too but they were terrible and soul-less. They couldn't even rescue themselves by playing Smash in its entirety.

Stiff Little Fingers - awesome and great to see these guys again. Hearing "Alternative Ulster" live again really took me back.

Pennywise - meh, Fletcher up to his usual tricks and all due respect but I'm done with Bro Hymn at this point.

BR - started off rough but got it together within a couple songs. Can't believe how great these guys are live still, although with the departure of Hetson now its just two original members unless Mr. Brett shows up. No love from him at this show. The new kid from the Cult is a good guitarist but I miss Hetson's energy. Wackerman is just insane on drums.
I saw BR in 1995 and at that point they were considered long in the tooth, amazing that they weren't even at the midway point of their career yet.

I saw BR in 1995 and at that point they were considered long in the tooth, amazing that they weren't even at the midway point of their career yet.
Yeah I remember it wasn't cool to like Stranger Than Fiction. Now, here they are, and Stranger is still still awesome.

Yeah I remember it wasn't cool to like Stranger Than Fiction. Now, here they are, and Stranger is still still awesome.
I was so pissed off about Into the Unknown, my roommate threw it in the trash after one listen. Back to the Known partially redeemed them but it took us a long time to forgive that band. How Could Hell be Any Worse is still the zenith of that band. It's awesome they are still playing.

Heard this today on Faction. Got excited for the first 20 seconds... then realized it was pretty bad. I used to listen to Downset in mid-to-late 90s. I saw them only once; I think it was with Sick of it All and the Misfits.

Figured I'd post this here. Saw this today. Chris Stein's photographs of Debbie Harry. Love me some Debbie. That'd be a coffee table book I'd actually buy.

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/22/blondie-40th-anniversary-photographs-chelsea-chris-stein/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
love looking at pictures from that era
Thanks, man. I do, too. Was actually thinking you might dig it when I posted this. Was gonna post in the Giant/SP thread. No lie.

Any punk rock stuff -- no matter how seemingly irrelevant or off the mark -- that you come up with, just hit me up.

Checking in with a bit of substance: Saw The End of the Century, Dee Dee's doc, Johnny Thunders's doc, and the one about Arthur "Killer" Kane in the past few months. All worthy, all excellent. Thunders stands out for talent, Dee Dee stands out for sympathy and just being a genial guy.

Thunders still blows my mother-loving mind. He also loves Ernie Maresca's "Shout! Shout! Knock Yourself Out," which all the Phishies (love to them, too) hated back in the mid-'90s when I was in college. I think I would have loved that #####, too.

"Pirate Love" by the Heartbreakers has become my single of the past few months, thanks to Sebowski. Actually, there are some bands that I like right now, but I'll leave that for the 2014 thread and let this be historical.

BR is a bit overrated, but Suffer was pretty cool, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread