What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Punk/ Hardcore Music Thread (2 Viewers)

Checking in with a bit of substance: Saw The End of the Century, Dee Dee's doc, Johnny Thunders's doc, and the one about Arthur "Killer" Kane in the past few months. All worthy, all excellent. Thunders stands out for talent, Dee Dee stands out for sympathy and just being a genial guy.

Thunders still blows my mother-loving mind. He also loves Ernie Maresca's "Shout! Shout! Knock Yourself Out," which all the Phishies (love to them, too) hated back in the mid-'90s when I was in college. I think I would have loved that #####, too.

"Pirate Love" by the Heartbreakers has become my single of the past few months, thanks to Sebowski. Actually, there are some bands that I like right now, but I'll leave that for the 2014 thread and let this be historical.

BR is a bit overrated, but Suffer was pretty cool, IMO.
I haven't seen the Thunders one yet, though I do own it. I remember waiting and waiting for that thing to come out. Bought it right away and it's sat my shelf ever since :bag: I'll get to it this week.

What 2014 thread are you talking about? Just a general music thread? I'm not going to check in there. If you think us punks would like it, post it here please.

Checking in with a bit of substance: Saw The End of the Century, Dee Dee's doc, Johnny Thunders's doc, and the one about Arthur "Killer" Kane in the past few months. All worthy, all excellent. Thunders stands out for talent, Dee Dee stands out for sympathy and just being a genial guy.

Thunders still blows my mother-loving mind. He also loves Ernie Maresca's "Shout! Shout! Knock Yourself Out," which all the Phishies (love to them, too) hated back in the mid-'90s when I was in college. I think I would have loved that #####, too.

"Pirate Love" by the Heartbreakers has become my single of the past few months, thanks to Sebowski. Actually, there are some bands that I like right now, but I'll leave that for the 2014 thread and let this be historical.

BR is a bit overrated, but Suffer was pretty cool, IMO.
I haven't seen the Thunders one yet, though I do own it. I remember waiting and waiting for that thing to come out. Bought it right away and it's sat my shelf ever since :bag: I'll get to it this week.

What 2014 thread are you talking about? Just a general music thread? I'm not going to check in there. If you think us punks would like it, post it here please.
Pop-punk, so a risk. PUP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20SMrNWV_UQ

Also, another Thunders doc just came out. No way to view it online, unless Netflix has it. Going to try and grab it.

eta* Coathangers

Last edited by a moderator:
Punk bump. I posted this over in the best albums of the past twenty years. This might be the perfect traditional punk album. "I Am A Revenant," "City of Angels," and "Desperate" all destroy me. Yes, if this nihilism, give me more. If this is rawness, give me more. If this is collaboration, give me more. If this is corporate fronts and anti-feminism (IOW, Tim writing Brody's songs) then give me more. Whatever it is, give me more this than her dating Josh Homme.

One of my favorites ever:

Distillers -- Sing Sing Death House

Just started watching the foo fighters doc on hbo. Great stuff about the chicago scene with Albini and Naked Raygun

1. Larry Damore is the funniest human alive. The Haggertys are tied for second.

2. My first apartment in Chicago was upstairs from a bar called Club Foot, which is kind of a punk rock museum (owned an operated by Chuck Uchida of the Defoliants and many other great bands.). Every time I've been in the Foot there were eight guys with crewcuts, leather jackets, and Levi's and if you didn't already recognize the members of Pegboy, you'd never know which ones were in Pegboy.

Just started watching the foo fighters doc on hbo. Great stuff about the chicago scene with Albini and Naked Raygun
The first 55 minutes of those episodes are great, and then they play the actual Foo Fighters song and I'm like "ehhhhhh."

DC one is really good too.
I think this is the general consensus. Like, you saw Naked Raygun and Big Black at the Cubby Bear, and played in Scream during the Revolution Summer, and toured with Fugazi and you still make this deodorant commercial music? How is that possible?

Will this link work? I don't know. Will they let me in? Not sure. Lived next to one of these guys in New Haven for a few years. I liked this song better back then. Click "At The Border." This is pure nostalgia for me. Hell, it's also good.

https://myspace.com/brokenct

Having a New Haven nostalgia moment, as this group plays there 1/1. I plan on going. I've always loved this album. Is punk/hardcore going to embrace the girl group and Nuggets-esque '60s stuff? Push those boundaries until they fall.

Detroit Cobras - He Did It

And this whole group. With obvious NY Dolls implications, for those interested.

Shangri-La's - Give Him a Great Big Kiss

Stopped by a Newbury Comics about 2 weeks ago and picked up the newest Rancid CD as well as Lagwagon. The Rancid album is great. I think 90% of it sounds good.

Haven't been able to get into the Lagwagon album yet. I owe it more chances though, but on first pass wasn't that into it.

I was driving home from the beach today, and the Adicts, eff it up came on.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnku5W5QZfs

My 7 year old had that look of what is he saying. Then she starts singing. :lmao:

Then I told her and my 5 year old that he was saying Pump it up. 7 year old didnt bite, minutes later the 5 year old is singing pump it up.

I just finished reading this book, NYHC 1980-1990

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1935950126/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1420333374&sr=8-1

Really enjoyed it. It was not a narrative, instead just a bunch of interview pieces put together. It worked though. I came into the scene in 94. Thought I knew most of the stories and history. I was wrong. I learned a ton. Recommend to all

I'm sure they've been mentioned but Perfect ##### is a great show. I've seen them a few times and they deliver.
Sorry, been out of the loop on this thread for a while, but I've heard these guys are great live. I absolutely love this band right now.

Punk bump. I posted this over in the best albums of the past twenty years. This might be the perfect traditional punk album. "I Am A Revenant," "City of Angels," and "Desperate" all destroy me. Yes, if this nihilism, give me more. If this is rawness, give me more. If this is collaboration, give me more. If this is corporate fronts and anti-feminism (IOW, Tim writing Brody's songs) then give me more. Whatever it is, give me more this than her dating Josh Homme.

One of my favorites ever:

Distillers -- Sing Sing Death House
Dear god this is a great record. My personal favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlB9KnwCvvk

Loved Big Black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HotWBHoR8eI
Loved Pegboy's Fore on my end.
Fore was great. Three Chord Monte EP and Strong Reaction LP were originally released separately and were both amazing. But the Quarterstick CD combined the two on one disc. That disc is hands down my favorite punk CD of all time.

So I saw that Pennywise is playing Irving Plaza. My wife asked if I wanted to go

I said nah, I think Im done going to shows where I have to stand all night and no seats to relax

Is it over for me?

So I saw that Pennywise is playing Irving Plaza. My wife asked if I wanted to go

I said nah, I think Im done going to shows where I have to stand all night and no seats to relax

Is it over for me?
at least your wife is on board.... I have not been to a show since 2005.

P.S. is FSU still a thing, because they #### up a skinhead at said show.

Is it over for me?
yes.

I can't even remember who it was, but after the last couple of shows I (and maybe a bike accident or two), I've developed horrible tinnitus that's only gotten worse. even with ear-plugs, I'm too worried about losing hearing or making this worse.

other than seeing Drum Belly tomorrow in Chelsea, my live-music days are done.

Is it over for me?
at least your wife is on board.... I have not been to a show since 2005.P.S. is FSU still a thing, because they #### up a skinhead at said show.
straight edge losers right. Dont know. I never affiliated with anyone who was straight edge outside of Toby H2O. I never got into the clique/gang thing. Seemed dumb to me then and certainly seems stupid now

I'm probably older than the lot of you but there's still no better night out than live music. I still get a lot of joy out of being part of the crowd and the occasional incidental body contact with a chick who's young enough to be my daughter. There are aspects of gigs that have lost some of their appeal: the standing around between bands, the disgusting bathrooms, the bros tapping on their cellphones but I usually get over that when the lights go down and the music goes up.

I'm probably older than the lot of you but there's still no better night out than live music. I still get a lot of joy out of being part of the crowd and the occasional incidental body contact with a chick who's young enough to be my daughter. There are aspects of gigs that have lost some of their appeal: the standing around between bands, the disgusting bathrooms, the bros tapping on their cellphones but I usually get over that when the lights go down and the music goes up.
I miss it. :kicksrock:

Is it over for me?
I'll get back to you on this. Planning to attend my first show in years next month, Off With Their Heads at Triple Rock in MPLS. Excited, but will I look like a total ##### if I wear earplugs and don't drink to excess?

I miss it. :kicksrock:
Just ####### do it every once in a while. No excuses. Go to a show. You won't regret it. I promise. I'm with Eeph. It makes me feel like a kid again and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. :pogo:

Not exactly punk or hardcore but saw Less than Jake a few weeks back with Reel Big Fish opening up. Still a huge fan of LTJ. Good times.

http://www.amnesiarockfest.com/en/news/monster-lineup-10th-anniversary/

Get past the headliners and this is an incredible lineup. Rancid playing ...and out come the wolves in it's entirety.

ETA: BIGWIG!! ####### Bigwig. Every music fan has that one band they've always missed, either the band broke up or they all started shooting heroin or something kept you from seeing them. Bigwig has always been that band for me.

RIP, Scott Gildersleeve, aka Tulu, of the Queers. Here's a cover of his signature song from a more than capable band. Wars from Vancouver.

Tulu is a Wimp

Also, more Wars, who cut this gem. Beach Boys delight. I bet the Queers would dream of harmonies like this. Great pop punk.

East Van Cross

Life moves quickly. Let's all spend the rent while we can.

I'm hippling this thread here. Halp!

But this song put me in a good mood when I previously wasn't in one.

Patty Lee - Les Savy Fav

This one's for more of the purist crowd. This might be the better track regardless.

The Sweat Descends
Really digging this band right now. Thanks much for the recommendation. Love Sleepless In Silverlake also. :headbang:
:hifive:

http://www.amnesiarockfest.com/en/news/monster-lineup-10th-anniversary/

Get past the headliners and this is an incredible lineup. Rancid playing ...and out come the wolves in it's entirety.

ETA: BIGWIG!! ####### Bigwig. Every music fan has that one band they've always missed, either the band broke up or they all started shooting heroin or something kept you from seeing them. Bigwig has always been that band for me.
Refused playing, too. (Also, I do love me some Slayer and System Of A Down, even if they're not punk/HC).

Saw Refused in Boston on their reunion tour. Truly lived up to their billing as one of the '90s greatest.

One of my favorites from them. Poetry Written In Gasoline

Is it over for me?
I'll get back to you on this. Planning to attend my first show in years next month, Off With Their Heads at Triple Rock in MPLS. Excited, but will I look like a total ##### if I wear earplugs and don't drink to excess?
I can honestly report that life as we know it has not concluded yet. Off With Their Heads put on a great show, and opening act PEARS are a really good emerging hardcore act.

More importantly, I CAN attend a show without drinking too much while wearing a vintage 7 Seconds shirt that gave away my age as I relived past glories in the pit. I did eschew the earplugs, however.

Long live punk!

PEARS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5CcgT52OGg

OWTH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3xsfcG0nV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fI17_xnxTk

Sweet, sweet Buzzcock-esque stuff. The Cigarettes are something special. Check the first track and love it. Total mod. I was also going to post the Interpreters, a Philly mod band that put out a very worthy album called Back In The U.S.S.A. in '00 or so, but I couldn't find it except for an offer on amazon. Trust me, pay the one cent for it. It's a back-to-front ripper.

Interpreters on amazon.com

The Cigarettes Will Damage Your Health full album

I know they're more radio rock than punk now days but Rise Against is gonna be on AXS tv in 5 minutes from their performance earlier today at Rock on the Range.

For those of you who've been to shows in many different cities how do crowds differ from place to place?

This show seems strange. There's no big waves of humanity with people jockeying for position. Everybody just stands in their place and catches crowd surfers. Dozens and dozens of crowd surfers for every single song.

Users who are viewing this thread