What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Italy trip discussion thread (3 Viewers)

Where should we go for our trip?

• Italy

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • France/Paris

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters
Never been? Make it 13 days and do both.

travel

3 days in Paris

2 days in France country side

travel

2 days in Venice

3 days in Tuscany

travel
If you reverse this order slightly and do French countryside first, I believe there is an overnight train from Paris to Venice -- saves travel time and hotel room cost.
Yeah, the sleeper trains are a great option on this. Another friend served his mission in France and has offered several ideas along those lines.

Never been? Make it 13 days and do both.

travel

3 days in Paris

2 days in France country side

travel

2 days in Venice

3 days in Tuscany

travel
If you reverse this order slightly and do French countryside first, I believe there is an overnight train from Paris to Venice -- saves travel time and hotel room cost.
I did this overnight train on my honeymoon. If you do this, splurge for the private room/bed. It's a bunk bed setup, not exactly romantic, but perfectly comfortable. I've heard nightmare stories about the shared rooms on these trains. The greatest part is that you combine one night's sleep with an entire day of travel. Also try and get an early hotel check-in in your destination city. When you get off the train, you'll be a little gross and will want to shower.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the gigantic shopping mall that is Paris... they'd have to pay me to go again, not the other way around.
A shopping mall? Did you stop in at McDonald's too?
Yes, I did, in fact... not to eat, but to see if the menu really listed a Quarter Pounder with Cheese as a Royal with Cheese... yes, they did. And I promptly got thrown out of that McDonald's for taking photos of the menu!!

I've been to France. Paris is kinda cool, except for all the French people. They're awful human beings. Outside of Paris things got better.

Voted Italy.
I've spent a lot of time in Paris, always thought the people were awesome.

I lived in Italy for six years and speak Italian, so I'm partial to it. But I think France is awesome, second best country to visit in Europe IMO if we are excluding trips to bang broads.

I lived in Spain, meh. It's ok, not sure why anyone would got there over France or Italy though.

I've been to France. Paris is kinda cool, except for all the French people. They're awful human beings. Outside of Paris things got better.

Voted Italy.
I've spent a lot of time in Paris, always thought the people were awesome.

I lived in Italy for six years and speak Italian, so I'm partial to it. But I think France is awesome, second best country to visit in Europe IMO if we are excluding trips to bang broads.

I lived in Spain, meh. It's ok, not sure why anyone would got there over France or Italy though.
I value your opinion, and would kindly request a more detailed list of places for an American male to visit, which includes trips to bang broads. TIA. :thumbup:

I value your opinion, and would kindly request a more detailed list of places for an American male to visit, which includes trips to bang broads. TIA. :thumbup:
If you were using the criteria of good looking, easy, enjoy a hump, and normal here are the top ten IMO

1. Moldova

2. Lithuania

3. Latvia

4. Slovakia

5. Ukraine

6. France

7. Poland

8. Estonia

9. Croatia

10. Bulgaria

I don't have any real experience in Hungary, so I didn't rank it. I think I could change my mind about any of the top six, they probably all held my #1 ranking especially after I had just left. On looks alone Spain, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, and Italy are top five IMO but Spain and Italy have more conservative and highly protective cultures while those Russian chicks are just all ####### crazy. Moldova is basically Ukraine with less crazy chicks, Finland and the UK don't have very good looking women but they are really easy.

I like Irish broads also, but I there is just too much talent in that top ten with Czech Rep and Serbia not even making the list. Tons of untapped talent in Serbia, literally. Greek chicks can be hot but they are hairy and they smell like fish because you are what you eat.

unlike the uber rich Dr Detroit who lived in italy, most of us can only visit. i vote italy, but knowing a realistic budget would help plan something.

:wink:

There's so many great options. You can't go wrong. It just comes down to what you are looking for.

If you do go to France, you really need to find a way to get up to Normandy. Its a memorable experience.
This is probably worthwhile advice if you're deeply into the American experience around the world thing.

But otherwise, it's pretty much the North Dakota of France. Which is to say, still way more awesome than North Dakota, but a lot duller and drearier than the rest.

If you do go to France, you really need to find a way to get up to Normandy. Its a memorable experience.
This is probably worthwhile advice if you're deeply into the American experience around the world thing.

But otherwise, it's pretty much the North Dakota of France. Which is to say, still way more awesome than North Dakota, but a lot duller and drearier than the rest.
Not really following. Paris was great and all, but its been about 15 years now and I still remember how enormous the experience was of being there at Normandy cemetery. I do get quite sentimental about the sacrifices others have made for this country though so that has a large part to do with it. Whether I get back to any other part of France is no big deal, but I'll definitely make it back there.

If you're into that sort of thing you should do both the WWI and WWII battle fields.
Thanks for the suggestion. Someday. I was back packing through europe so the itinerary was a little scattered and time was limited. My buddy and I were lucky to just make it up to Normandy.

If you're into that sort of thing you should do both the WWI and WWII battle fields.
Right, the key to all of this is, "what you are into." Are you into history? Wine? Big cities? Shopping? Small laid back towns? Touristy things? Seeing how the locals love? Europe has it all, you just need to know what you want out of it.

Yes, I am from Ohio, live in Utah but we have traveled the country, been to Hawaii a few times, Mexico, Caribbean. She has been to South America twice, so it's not like we are complete and utter noobs. Spanish does make Spain appealing.

Oh, and no need to send us anywhere where alcohol is the attraction.
You stay at youth hostels when you travel or do you splurge for a motel?
Not sure I get the humor/inside joke/jab at who you think I am. :shrug:
Oh, you get it, alright... you're the FBG cheapskate... the guy who will have his wife drive around the airport for an hour while he runs in to get his tickets or bags or whatever, so he doesn't have to pay for parking. The guy who squeaks when he walks. The guy who, when he steps outside, a bird lands on his shoulder and chirps, "cheep, cheep, cheep".
And how am I the FBG cheapskate exactly? Whatever, man.
Oofff... my apologies... I confused you with the Dentist. He's the official FBG cheapskate. My apologies. Still, Paris is nothing but a big shopping mall. If you go to France, avoid Paris. it sux ###.
I'm offended.... don't you know who i am?

but i've been to paris and it was an absolute cash grab!

Yes, I am from Ohio, live in Utah but we have traveled the country, been to Hawaii a few times, Mexico, Caribbean. She has been to South America twice, so it's not like we are complete and utter noobs. Spanish does make Spain appealing.

Oh, and no need to send us anywhere where alcohol is the attraction.
You stay at youth hostels when you travel or do you splurge for a motel?
Not sure I get the humor/inside joke/jab at who you think I am. :shrug:
Oh, you get it, alright... you're the FBG cheapskate... the guy who will have his wife drive around the airport for an hour while he runs in to get his tickets or bags or whatever, so he doesn't have to pay for parking. The guy who squeaks when he walks. The guy who, when he steps outside, a bird lands on his shoulder and chirps, "cheep, cheep, cheep".
And how am I the FBG cheapskate exactly? Whatever, man.
Oofff... my apologies... I confused you with the Dentist. He's the official FBG cheapskate. My apologies. Still, Paris is nothing but a big shopping mall. If you go to France, avoid Paris. it sux ###.
I'm offended.... don't you know who i am?

but i've been to paris and it was an absolute cash grab!
My apologies to you, then, too. If I seem confused, here's why.

France has a bunch of French people. Really, that's all the reason you need to go to Italy.
Parisians are the all time suck.
Not true at all. You were probably being a typical American and deserved what you got.

I've spent a lot of time in Paris and haven't noticed a higher ratio of #######s there than anywhere else.
Sounds awesome
Great notebook but as noted, that person wasn't French.

France has a bunch of French people. Really, that's all the reason you need to go to Italy.
Not true at all. You were probably being a typical American and deserved what you got.

I've spent a lot of time in Paris and haven't noticed a higher ratio of #######s there than anywhere else.
In the French countryside, they were very hospital. In about a half dozen other countries, not the slightest problem. In Paris, oh those Parisians love to pretend like the don't speak English.

In the French countryside, they were very hospital. In about a half dozen other countries, not the slightest problem. In Paris, oh those Parisians love to pretend like the don't speak English.
You're a guest in their country. How would you react if some tourist came up to you and started yammering at you in Mandarin, German, Arabic etc? Well guess what? It happens to them every day and all day. Paris is the most visited city in the world.

Like I said, typical ethnocentric American who thinks everyone should bend over backwards to speak English and gets pissed off when they don't.

You're a guest in their country. How would you react if some tourist came up to you and started yammering at you in Mandarin, German, Arabic etc? Well guess what? It happens to them every day and all day. Paris is the most visited city in the world.

Like I said, typical ethnocentric American who thinks everyone should bend over backwards to speak English and gets pissed off when they don't.
Funny how I didn't have a problem politely asking for directions anywhere else on my trip. You're right, its just me.

So it looks like Italy curb-stomped France. I had originally wanted Italy, then thought Paris might be an easier trip? Anyway, loving the Italy idea. Few questions:

1. Which airport is best to fly into? Looks like there are 3 in Rome, or nearby

2. Where would you get your lodging in Rome? For Amalfi coast, it looks like there are some amazing small hotels to get, but did not know if a larger one might suit well enough there.

3. For driving there, do I need to get the International Drivers License?

4. Would it be feasible for a few days in Rome, a few in Tuscany and then a few in Amalfi? Looks like I am going opposite directions. Would there be an easier route to go that you can see from experience?

Where in Tuscany? I cant speak for Amalfi, but the train system in general in Italy is fantastic and way better than driving. Driving in Italy is an experience in itself and one I'd rather not repeat, especially in or near Rome. My last trip we did it entirely by train and did Florence, Venice, and Bologna. Never missed a car.

So it looks like Italy curb-stomped France. I had originally wanted Italy, then thought Paris might be an easier trip? Anyway, loving the Italy idea. Few questions:

2. Where would you get your lodging in Rome? For Amalfi coast, it looks like there are some amazing small hotels to get, but did not know if a larger one might suit well enough there.

4. Would it be feasible for a few days in Rome, a few in Tuscany and then a few in Amalfi? Looks like I am going opposite directions. Would there be an easier route to go that you can see from experience?
per favore, can you provide your budget and time to be spent in italy? we have done italy multiple ways, cruise, private tour, etc. driving is difficult, the big cities prohibit cars. i could write a book about my experiences, but i would recommend hitting roadtoitaly.com and customize a tour for yourself. delta flies to Milan and Davinci FCO. think this, work with christina lee at RTI. she will set up transportation, tours, transfers.....anything you can think of. fly into Milan, hit lake como, view last supper, train to venice, train back to florence, museums, driver south Thru Wine country, stay in castle, driver to rome, tour of Pompei. save Amalfi coast for another time. fly home from rome.

per favore, can you provide your budget and time to be spent in italy? we have done italy multiple ways, cruise, private tour, etc. driving is difficult, the big cities prohibit cars. i could write a book about my experiences, but i would recommend hitting roadtoitaly.com and customize a tour for yourself. delta flies to Milan and Davinci FCO. think this, work with christina lee at RTI. she will set up transportation, tours, transfers.....anything you can think of. fly into Milan, hit lake como, view last supper, train to venice, train back to florence, museums, driver south Thru Wine country, stay in castle, driver to rome, tour of Pompei. save Amalfi coast for another time. fly home from rome.
Honestly, I have not set a budget. I am planning on a lot. Not that I want to stay at the fanciest hotels, etc., but I will pay to have a good time. I was thinking about 11 days including travel, but could find another, so say 12 including travel. Would love a couple of days on the Amalfi coast, since my wife has always wanted to do that after seeing about a hundred RomCom's with that in it.

NutterButter said:
chet said:
NutterButter said:
massraider said:

The people turned into a building with medical equipment and beds and stuff?

NutterButter said:
chet said:
NutterButter said:
massraider said:

The people turned into a building with medical equipment and beds and stuff?
I resisted the urge on that one, figured someone else would get it. ;)

Personally, I like Florence Italy better than Rome (and better than Venice too).

Personally, I like Florence Italy better than Rome (and better than Venice too).
I'm not sure I've met anyone who's been to both (Florence and Rome) who didn't prefer the former.

I'm not sure I've met anyone who's been to both (Florence and Rome) who didn't prefer the former.
Florence is a nicer place to stay and relax. However, I'm a big history buff and love seeing all the historical sites, so I'd much rather do Rome if I had to pick one and I hadn't visited before. Florence is certainly a better pick for a get away trip with the wife if you aren't as into all the ancient stuff.

Where in Tuscany? I cant speak for Amalfi, but the train system in general in Italy is fantastic and way better than driving. Driving in Italy is an experience in itself and one I'd rather not repeat, especially in or near Rome. My last trip we did it entirely by train and did Florence, Venice, and Bologna. Never missed a car.
I loved driving in Italy but wouldn't drive in Rome. There's a Sheraton business hotel outside Florence that has free parking and shuttles into Florence. If you want to do day trips and don't need a luxury hotel it's the perfect location.

I loved driving in Italy but wouldn't drive in Rome. There's a Sheraton business hotel outside Florence that has free parking and shuttles into Florence. If you want to do day trips and don't need a luxury hotel it's the perfect location.
Eh, the perfect location for me was within Florence at a small hotel in the piazza signoria. Going to Florence and staying at a business hotel just seems so wrong to me. To each their own I guess.

Re rental cars I'd see if your credit card covers you for international accidents

Some do some don't but if they do you can decline the extra coverage which is $$$ ( or take a risk without it)

NutterButter said:
Every time I've been to a historic war battleground in current times, I'm always underwhelmed. I love reading military non-fiction though - the stories of the soldiers and telling how things really were always left more of an impression than seeing a nicely mowed grassy area and a cannon freshly painted black. I'm probably in the minority though.

Honestly, I have not set a budget. I am planning on a lot. Not that I want to stay at the fanciest hotels, etc., but I will pay to have a good time. I was thinking about 11 days including travel, but could find another, so say 12 including travel. Would love a couple of days on the Amalfi coast, since my wife has always wanted to do that after seeing about a hundred RomCom's with that in it.
Chem X gave you great advice. RTI is awesome. It sounds like you need to see the Amalfi coast, so do it. But use Road To Italy. You will not regret it. I know I've given this advice before and been thanked over and over for it. Here's a link for a combo Rome Amalfi trip. Call them and customize it to your preferences. An overnighter to Capri is a great choice. You will not need to drive.

I voted France/Paris, but would actually recommend Burgundy. I worked some in Chalon-sur-Saone and it was a great base... a day trip to see tons of castles and see Lyon, another to the Alps at Chamonix, a winery tour at Beaune, a two-day trip to see the papal palace at Avignon (who knew?), see the Roman aqueduct at Uzes, and float a (topless) river at Pont d'Arc (if it's open, you could see the Chauvet cave painting replica), maybe another down to the French Riviera... just wandering around from place to place on the back roads is really neat - all the farmhouses are superold stone buildings and you stumble across Roman baths and such.

There are some great little restaurants in Chalon-sur-Saone, and probably all over. It was pre-iPhone when I went, so they're probably a lot easier to find now. I found random brasseries to be pretty crappy, but the nice ones were as good as it gets. The St. George hotel's restaurant served the meal my wife still calls the best she's ever had - she had venison and I had pigeon (it's been 15 years, likely to be different chef, management and owner by now).

The people were very friendly everywhere but Paris.

Users who are viewing this thread