What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shelf life of an IDP player? (1 Viewer)

SelenaCat

Footballguy
How long do most IDP players retain their value, considering how much of their production is scheme/personnel-dependent?

I'm playing in a 40-player contract dynasty league with 5 IDP starters (2 DL/LB, 2 DB, 1 flex), but in this league, there is *no* waiver wire and you are only allowed to drop a maximum of 10 players from year to year, with a salary cap penalty based on the number of years left on their contract if it has not yet expired (it is otherwise automatically renewed with an increased salary based on previous year's production unless chosen as one of the drops for the year). If it matters, scoring is more tackle heavy (1/tackle, 0.5/assist, 4/sack, 5/INT, 2/deflection, 3/FF, 3/FR). Contracts are for 3 years for rookies, and 1-5 years for anyone purchased in the free agent auction, but because of the unique league variables, there's a significant advantage not to retain players past their window of usefulness.

One of the podcasts I listened to recently suggested that DB's are likely to retain their value for only 2 years. Is this likely to hold true for all IDP positions? Or are some positions (particularly ILB) more resistant to scheme change at the top tiers?

Last year was my first IDP experience, and I'd like to go into this year's draft and auction with a little more knowledge than I did last year.

I'd say that the fall is fairly gradual when it's a talented player who loses his value due to scheme. Jonathan Vilma's the classic example of a guy whose value died when the Jets switched to a 3-4, but he still at least had startable stats - he went from a stud LB1 way down to a LB3/4... but if you were stuck with him due to your anti-fun contract rules, you would have at least gotten some use out of him.

The guys you have to watch out for are mediocre talents in a great situation. Kirk Morrison, Justin Durant, Will Witherspoon, Stewart Bradley... guys who fall into an every-down MLB position, but don't have the talent to back it up. The fall there is dramatic.

elite pass rusher are the safest long term and with your league using DL/LB as a single position that might be a place to find a stable guy or two. ILBer are more stable than DBs, but are subject to more scheme whims.

Really have to focus on talent over situation in a format like this one. Talent may fluctuate in numbers year over year, but they will always carry some value because they will be playing.

When you're getting to the second level of your roster roll the dice on guys like Telvin Smith, Christian Kirskey, Jelani Jenkins, DJ Swearinger, Damontre Moore, Margus Hunt, etc. rather than ReyMaualuga, Ryan Clark, Jeremy Mincey, etc.

I would target DE/ILB/S in that order. Your scoring rules are not great. Is the offensive players overpowering the IDP's? IDP leagues are the best when you get even scoring so a IDP player is just as important as a offensive player. If your offense is alot more in terms of scoring I would trade my best IDP for good offensive players before the league starts. I did this in a money league and won a bunch of money before other owners caught on. Also trade a good MLB for a #1 rookie pick is always nice too. Young name players always give you good returns.

IDP are definitely a secondary consideration in general based on VBD, but the two teams in the Superbowl this year had by far the best IDP players (though one could easily argue that they had good bargains at other positions, which allowed them the luxury). A good set of IDP players can net you 8-10 more points a week, which is about the difference between starting Calvin Johnson and starting Brian Hartline. So while the investment isn't as good as offensive players, it's not a complete afterthought either.

(As a note, DE fare rather poorly with this system, with only 3 making the top 40 DL/LB overall last year)

To spin this a slightly different way, how long would you feel comfortable setting the contract for an elite IDP player? And for a second-tier player?

Selena I do not mean to discount what has already been said.. It is very wise to know how much the scheme can effect output.

However w that being out of the way. I will give an example of a Rookie who I may consider (review/ study more) for consideration of a lengthy contract. Ryan Shazier

Basically he may not be too Stout @ 237 (40+ vertical), but Im currently unaware of any negatives..

Im not going to list all the "positives" But the single selling point that I enjoy most is the Team. imo Pitt is akin to Linebacker U.

The surest "bet" to me would be to consider more or less the following: MLB being safest, w CB being the highest risk (ie. Good luck makin points w a Rookie CB who gets coined "shutdown Corner") Or worse yet the opposite CB (who the Coach finds out cannot cover)

MLB's can be expected to be the eyes n ears of a Defense for yrs (period) They have the green Helmet for every down.

fwiw Shazier could possibly play every position meaning he may warrant the green helmet

I would ask a few gurus for thoughts on Contracts w DE's, because imho It might be something worth paying for ie. Trading I mean yes its a position that can hold its value for yrs, but Im pretty sure the 1st round fails outnumber the Hits

I would consider taking a good long look at scoring in your League ie. Id much rather spend time keeping an eye on a CB who can play gunner or rtns

A few examples of players from my own Team, I might consider (other than obvious MLB's) would be NE's Chandler, and AZ's HoneyBadger

p.s. It appears that sacks is close to the most important stat (a lot more sacks than picks in most games) and the points is pretty close. imo A thumping Strong Safety (force fumbles) who is known to blitz may far outweigh a good free safety (at least w that scoring) How much for a pick 6?

Last edited by a moderator:
How long do most IDP players retain their value, considering how much of their production is scheme/personnel-dependent?

I'm playing in a 40-player contract dynasty league with 5 IDP starters (2 DL/LB, 2 DB, 1 flex), but in this league, there is *no* waiver wire and you are only allowed to drop a maximum of 10 players from year to year, with a salary cap penalty based on the number of years left on their contract if it has not yet expired (it is otherwise automatically renewed with an increased salary based on previous year's production unless chosen as one of the drops for the year). If it matters, scoring is more tackle heavy (1/tackle, 0.5/assist, 4/sack, 5/INT, 2/deflection, 3/FF, 3/FR). Contracts are for 3 years for rookies, and 1-5 years for anyone purchased in the free agent auction, but because of the unique league variables, there's a significant advantage not to retain players past their window of usefulness.

One of the podcasts I listened to recently suggested that DB's are likely to retain their value for only 2 years. Is this likely to hold true for all IDP positions? Or are some positions (particularly ILB) more resistant to scheme change at the top tiers?

Last year was my first IDP experience, and I'd like to go into this year's draft and auction with a little more knowledge than I did last year.
I would say that your scoring is generally light on IDP and you start very few positions so I would rather focus on offensive players and settle for the next tier of IDPs. If you hit on a Christine Michael, Josh Gordon or Jordan Cameron it should far outweigh the value you get by hitting at IDP. And you'll get by fine with Donald Butler, Lawrence Timmons and those type of LB2/3 types.

Louche said:

I would say that your scoring is generally light on IDP and you start very few positions so I would rather focus on offensive players and settle for the next tier of IDPs. If you hit on a Christine Michael, Josh Gordon or Jordan Cameron it should far outweigh the value you get by hitting at IDP. And you'll get by fine with Donald Butler, Lawrence Timmons and those type of LB2/3 types.
That's the conclusion I came to as well, although I was making do with more LB3/4's than 2/3's last year. :(

That said, I set most of my contracts for 3 years, but I'm already wishing I could dump half of them as they're currently projecting more in the LB5-range. For the range of players I'm looking at, I'm thinking 1-2 years at most unless it's a player I believe has the potential to one day be a stud (in which case they probably didn't make it past the rookie draft to begin with).

Users who are viewing this thread