What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined" (1 Viewer)

If the reporters know he's going to act like this, then why bother and get mad when he does it?
Because the media is largely filled with entitled douchebags?
Man, you seem to be angry at everyone all the time. Who hurt you?

People like Skip Bayless and this dooshbag calling for the skittles boycott make up a teeny tiny percentage of sports media. The vast majority of them are decent people working an exhausting job for middle class paychecks because they love sports. Why do they make you so mad?
Mad? :lmao:
Yeah, that's generally what's going on when someone lashes out at a bunch of people for no apparent reason. That or insecurity, I guess. Whatever floats your boat :shrug:
I was simply giving my opinion. That isn't lashing out. Didn't realize it would pierce your thin-skin.

I was a bit confused how you got so far in the tourney, but it is starting to make a lot more sense.

If the reporters know he's going to act like this, then why bother and get mad when he does it?
Because the media is largely filled with entitled douchebags?
Man, you seem to be angry at everyone all the time. Who hurt you?

People like Skip Bayless and this dooshbag calling for the skittles boycott make up a teeny tiny percentage of sports media. The vast majority of them are decent people working an exhausting job for middle class paychecks because they love sports. Why do they make you so mad?
Mad? :lmao:
Yeah, that's generally what's going on when someone lashes out at a bunch of people for no apparent reason. That or insecurity, I guess. Whatever floats your boat :shrug:
I was simply giving my opinion. That isn't lashing out. Didn't realize it would pierce your thin-skin.

I was a bit confused how you got so far in the tourney, but it is starting to make a lot more sense.
Not thin skin, just wondering why you seem so angry. It's not like the conversation called for it or something. And yeah, calling people "entitled douchebags" is pretty obviously lashing out. I don't mind, I'm not a member of the sports media or something, was just curious. Kinda odd to describe any entire industry that way, let alone one that doesn't make very much money.

He's a selfish knucklehead. He wants attention, he thinks he's being funny. If he truly felt uncomfortable in front of the media or shy, he'd just answer his questions with as little fanfare as possible. this is a guy who the second his physical skills erode even a little he's out of the league. Teams don't deal with knuckleheads anymore. Not worth it. Seattle's plan was to move on after this season thinking Lynch wouldn't be able to maintain his production on the field. He hasn't regressed and at times has looked even more dominant so now they placate him with the "he's unique" nonsense and look for a way to bring him back fro another year. My least favorite player maybe of all-time. Makes it all about him, acts like a 12 year old but says he's just misunderstood. Do high school players even grab their crotch after scoring? This is a 30 year old man doing this. Screw the team, don't care about the 15 yard penalty. I don't want to be sitting here in front of the media but I'll get all the attention anyway. Great example he sets for the kids. Don't forget to buy a Beastmode hat.

He's a selfish knucklehead. He wants attention, he thinks he's being funny. If he truly felt uncomfortable in front of the media or shy, he'd just answer his questions with as little fanfare as possible. this is a guy who the second his physical skills erode even a little he's out of the league. Teams don't deal with knuckleheads anymore. Not worth it. Seattle's plan was to move on after this season thinking Lynch wouldn't be able to maintain his production on the field. He hasn't regressed and at times has looked even more dominant so now they placate him with the "he's unique" nonsense and look for a way to bring him back fro another year. My least favorite player maybe of all-time. Makes it all about him, acts like a 12 year old but says he's just misunderstood. Do high school players even grab their crotch after scoring? This is a 30 year old man doing this. Screw the team, don't care about the 15 yard penalty. I don't want to be sitting here in front of the media but I'll get all the attention anyway. Great example he sets for the kids. Don't forget to buy a Beastmode hat.
If he had a choice he wouldn't be out there. That's kind of the antithesis of wanting attention or thinking it's entertaining, don't you think? Also, he hasn't had a penalty for it, just fines.

I'll also add that this outrage over "what will the kids think?" on the junk grabbing is beyond stupid. Your children are going to experience poor sportsmanship at some point in their lives. Obfuscation of the issue doesn't teach them the values you seem to hold dearly--instead, putting this on display and having that conversation with your kid teaches the lesson. Would you rather not be there for that life lesson or for them to learn how to deal with it elsewhere? Note, I'm not saying it isn't childish, but rather you probably need to learn to deal with it appropriately because a lot of people do it in the world--just maybe not so demonstratively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marshawn says "thank you for posting this."

If he had a choice he wouldn't be out there. That's kind of the antithesis of wanting attention or thinking it's entertaining, don't you think? Also, he hasn't had a penalty for it, just fines.

I'll also add that this outrage over "what will the kids think?" on the junk grabbing is beyond stupid. Your children are going to experience poor sportsmanship at some point in their lives. Obfuscation of the issue doesn't teach them the values you seem to hold dearly--instead, putting this on display and having that conversation with your kid teaches the lesson. Would you rather not be there for that life lesson or for them to learn how to deal with it elsewhere? Note, I'm not saying it isn't childish, but rather you probably need to learn to deal with it appropriately because a lot of people do it in the world--just maybe not so demonstratively.
I'm really not so sure about the bolded part. It seems like he's getting a lot more attention by being a jerk to the media. It seems like he's having a lot of fun with this. Perhaps this is all part of his plan to get attention? :shrug:

I'm not really offended by his shtick. i just don't find it funny or entertaining like others on here. Sherman is entertaining to me because he's a jerk but a very educated and knowledgeable jerk. Lynch just comes across as a moron with this shtick. It was funny the first time but a bit overdone at this point. My :2cents:

I'm really not so sure about the bolded part. It seems like he's getting a lot more attention by being a jerk to the media. It seems like he's having a lot of fun with this. Perhaps this is all part of his plan to get attention? :shrug:

I'm not really offended by his shtick. i just don't find it funny or entertaining like others on here. Sherman is entertaining to me because he's a jerk but a very educated and knowledgeable jerk. Lynch just comes across as a moron with this shtick. It was funny the first time but a bit overdone at this point. My :2cents:
I'm about as confident as I can be that he wouldn't be out there if the league wasn't fining him. Why else would he have avoided the media until he started getting fined? It wasn't just so he could put on a show at media day I'm guessing.

I'm not sure I find it terribly entertaining, but I certainly can appreciate him not wanting to cater to those "journalists". Today's journalism is a joke--Edward Murrow would be ashamed.

I like this.

It's bizarre how everyone feels the need to divide every issue into two sides and then fight with the other side. You can think that Lynch shouldn't have to do through this nonsense and that he's a decent person who has grown up a bit since his DUI days and still think he's kind of acting like a bit of a dooshbag here. It's possible to think some members of the media are wildly overreacting to Lynch's silence/antics without trashing the entirety of sports media. Not everything has to be black and white.

Except when it comes to the NFL front office and ownership. They're the absolute worst.

If he had a choice he wouldn't be out there. That's kind of the antithesis of wanting attention or thinking it's entertaining, don't you think?
I don't think NFL players would do a lot of things if they had a choice. There's a reason they ask players to be available to the media. And I disagree what he's doing is the opposite of wanting attention. He's like the kid who refuses to stand in front of the class for a book report and when threatened with an F, he gets up in front of the class and stands with his back to the class and gives his report that way. When he gets an F he protests and says "this is bull####, i did exactly what was required". He's a clown who gets off on the spotlight by pretending to refuse it. It's a game for him. It's all about his ego. Much like the starlet who parades in front of the paparazzi wearing a low cut dress and then complains that her picture is being taken.

I like this.

It's bizarre how everyone feels the need to divide every issue into two sides and then fight with the other side. You can think that Lynch shouldn't have to do through this nonsense and that he's a decent person who has grown up a bit since his DUI days and still think he's kind of acting like a bit of a dooshbag here. It's possible to think some members of the media are wildly overreacting to Lynch's silence/antics without trashing the entirety of sports media. Not everything has to be black and white.

Except when it comes to the NFL front office and ownership. They're the absolute worst.
I'm not saying the media doesn't have their shortcomings. They clearly are at fault for continuing to feed Lynch. Even if Lynch doesn't want the attention, the bottom line (for me at least) is that he just comes across looking like a moron. Again, it was funny the first time he did it but it's just boring now. Can he at least come up with a more clever way of sticking it in the media's (and NFL's) face? To me, that would be more entertaining.

I don't know how anyone could watch Lynch's pressers from last year with Michael Robinson and conclude that he doesn't genuinely hate to talk to a crowd.

I don't know how anyone could watch Lynch's pressers from last year with Michael Robinson and conclude that he doesn't genuinely hate to talk to a crowd.
Ok fine. We've established that he's not doing this to seek attention. My main point is simply that to me his shtick is just boring.

I like this.

I'm not saying the media doesn't have their shortcomings. They clearly are at fault for continuing to feed Lynch. Even if Lynch doesn't want the attention, the bottom line (for me at least) is that he just comes across looking like a moron. Again, it was funny the first time he did it but it's just boring now. Can he at least come up with a more clever way of sticking it in the media's (and NFL's) face? To me, that would be more entertaining.
Yeah I was agreeing with your take on Lynch. On the one hand I like that he's making a mockery of the league's ridiculous rules and the almost as ridiculous media circus surrounding the game. I love him for that. On the other hand he's kind of acting like a child at this point, and drawing media focus from more interesting stories and from teammates who would welcome the attention. Just say something like "I understand you have a job to do and I don't mean to make it more difficult, but this environment is something I struggle with and I ask you to be respectful of that." That would make him a sympathetic figure and probably move the spotlight elsewhere. Maybe suggest that instead of a meaningless sound bite someone write a story about why the NFL mandates this nonsense and doesn't allow for exceptions.

A lot of other athletes and coaches hate dealing with the media too but it's in the job description if you want to play professionally and be paid millions of dollars.

A lot of other athletes and coaches hate dealing with the media too but it's in the job description if you want to play professionally and be paid millions of dollars.
He is speaking with them. You don't like what he has to say when he speaks. That problem is on you... Seems you have your shire panties in a bunch over it. Victory Lynch.

That's the NFLs fault. If they suspended him for games for acting like a child he would speak like everybody else. They have all the power. What's he going to do go to the CFL?

They created this.they could stop it tomorrow if they wanted. No reason to complain about Lynch. He is just taking advantage of the NFLs leniency.

Pretty much all parties involved here look stupid. The NFL for forcing players to talk (when there are plenty that you can't get to shut up), the media for way overreacting and Lynch for acting like a child.

All involved doing a great job of making me not care even a little bit about the hoopla surrounding the SB.

If he had a choice he wouldn't be out there. That's kind of the antithesis of wanting attention or thinking it's entertaining, don't you think?
I don't think NFL players would do a lot of things if they had a choice. There's a reason they ask players to be available to the media. And I disagree what he's doing is the opposite of wanting attention. He's like the kid who refuses to stand in front of the class for a book report and when threatened with an F, he gets up in front of the class and stands with his back to the class and gives his report that way. When he gets an F he protests and says "this is bull####, i did exactly what was required". He's a clown who gets off on the spotlight by pretending to refuse it. It's a game for him. It's all about his ego. Much like the starlet who parades in front of the paparazzi wearing a low cut dress and then complains that her picture is being taken.
Lynch has been doing this for weeks now. It has only become a circus because of the Super Bowl.

Lynch avoided the media ALL YEAR until he was actually fined. Since that point then he has went to his one word and same phrases answers.

Some of it stemmed from social anxiety issues (I believe) but right now it just seems about giving the NFL the middle finger. You fine me for not talking, so I'll talk and not say anything. The NFL pushed Lynch and now he is pushing back and getting his principle across that you can't actually force players to give interviews.

He is speaking with them. You don't like what he has to say when he speaks. That problem is on you... Seems you have your shire panties in a bunch over it. Victory Lynch.
He's not speaking with him and you know it. The thing is he could do pretty much what he's doing know by giving vague answers ("I'm trying my best out there" "The pats are great team, it's gonna be a tough game" etc) and not drawing the attention to himself, the attention he says he doesn't want. But he does want attention the same way the class clown constantly disrespects the teacher by being a nuisance while saying at the same time he's not horsing around. His act is so lame and tired. It would be lame for a high school kid to do this much less a highly visible professional athlete.

Lynch has been doing this for weeks now. It has only become a circus because of the Super Bowl.

Lynch avoided the media ALL YEAR until he was actually fined. Since that point then he has went to his one word and same phrases answers.

Some of it stemmed from social anxiety issues (I believe) but right now it just seems about giving the NFL the middle finger. You fine me for not talking, so I'll talk and not say anything. The NFL pushed Lynch and now he is pushing back and getting his principle across that you can't actually force players to give interviews.
is his message basically that he's got the maturity level of an 8 yr old?

What the NFL should do is fine the Seattle coaching staff and organization when Lynch pulls this again. Go with the Full Metal jacket approach. If Private Pyle sneaks a jelly donut out of the mess, the whole platoon does pushups. That nonsense will stop pretty quick and if it doesn't you'll see Pete Carrol and Paul Allen whacking Beastmode with bars or soap wrapped in a washcloth. It was just a bad dream fat boy. He'll be giving Peyton manning quality press conferences in no time. Hell, they might even let him be a spokesman in their beloved league. That is until he kills Carrol and himself in the lockeroom toilets.

I wish Lynch would turn the tables and ask reporters questions:

• Do you think the NFL plays too many commercials?
  • Does Goodell show favoritism towards certain NFL owners?
  • Do the refs train hard enough?
  • Does the NFL actually pay an ad agency for the crap they come up with?
etc.

etc.
I wish the next time you're at a meeting at your job you'd answer every question with "I'm just here so I don't get fired"

post results

etc.
I don't think Lynch is intelligent enough to form those type of complete sentences. He really should hire Sherman to do interviews. Watching Sherman debate Skip B was priceless.

On one hand the NFL is dropping the ball hard core on this rule. Do they really want guys like Lynch running down the league & acting like a 3 year old with the press? Seems like access to the press should be optional.

On the other hand Lynch probably would be washing cars if he didn't play football...not there there is anything wrong with that but a guy that makes millions playing football and has a job that most people could only fantasize about having acts like the world owes him and that talking to the media is beneath him because sometimes he is asked hard questions that he struggles answering.

etc.
I wish the next time you're at a meeting at your job you'd answer every question with "I'm just here so I don't get fired"

post results
I will, if it's a meeting asking me what kind of tree I would be, if I were a tree.

salmonstud said:
Mister CIA said:

etc.
I don't think Lynch is intelligent enough to form those type of complete sentences. He really should hire Sherman to do interviews. Watching Sherman debate Skip B was priceless.

On one hand the NFL is dropping the ball hard core on this rule. Do they really want guys like Lynch running down the league & acting like a 3 year old with the press? Seems like access to the press should be optional.

On the other hand Lynch probably would be washing cars if he didn't play football...not there there is anything wrong with that but a guy that makes millions playing football and has a job that most people could only fantasize about having acts like the world owes him and that talking to the media is beneath him because sometimes he is asked hard questions that he struggles answering.
Maybe media drones share your perception and that is exactly why Lynch wishes to avoid these events.

SproutDaddy said:
:lmao: at the fact that this bothers some of you. Calling for fines and calling him immature is absolutely ridiculous.
I don't think it should be a big deal. That being said if I was making the rules for the NFL I would make him answer in a respectful and thoughtful manner or he wouldn't be playing. Only to show I was boss. I still don't think it's a big deal, but he's making the NFL look like a bunch of clowns.

I say almost the same thing Lynch does when I'm forced to go to one of my wife's family get togethers......."I'm just here so I don't get divorced."

12punch said:
Mister CIA said:

etc.

post results
First, probably can't and shouldn't compare some IT job or whatever job people have in here to NFL running back. It's a dumb comparison.Second, whatever job it is you have I'm guessing there are many different parts of it that the people who are the best at it get to blow off. That's one thing that is actually relatable between NFL running back and a typical job.

The NFL and players union will address this in the next negotiation thanks to Lynch.

I love...LOOOOVE how angry this makes some of you.
I wonder what the overlap is between people who are pissed that Lynch won't talk, and people who think Sherman should just shut up and let his play do the talking. I'm assuming it's about 90%.
You Arian Foster'd this thread.

And really, how many people really deeply care about this? I'm a little irritated at the X Clan medallion and ####, but I'm white. Hate me now.

Lynch is just a moron.
Care to explain?
Well for one he can't seem to grasp the reason why the league requires it's players to be available to the media for a certain period of time. Today he couldn't understand why the media showed up to cover him during his portion of allotted media time.
Goodell can't seem to grasp that it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Sincerely,

NFL Sponsors

Lynch is just a moron.
Care to explain?
Well for one he can't seem to grasp the reason why the league requires it's players to be available to the media for a certain period of time. Today he couldn't understand why the media showed up to cover him during his portion of allotted media time.
I would imagine he understands both things. He just doesn't agree with the reasoning.
Well that's not what he said today.

Lynch is just a moron.
Care to explain?
Your personal opinion on his handling the media doesn't validate your claim. Try again.Also, why on earth does this bother you? Seems very trivial on your part.

Lynch is just a moron.
Care to explain?
Your personal opinion on his handling the media doesn't validate your claim. Try again.Also, why on earth does this bother you? Seems very trivial on your part.
It's not an opinion and I'm not bothered. Imagine any other player pulling this nonsense. Like I said he'll be out of the league the second his skills erode even a little. He's lucky he's where he is because in today's NFL the not many places for him to behave like this. Helluva player though. Moss and Owens were great too, complete knuckleheads but great players.

Thus excluding a large portion of the populace from meaningful debate.

It's X Clan. It's probably something to look into as far as what it means, and what he may mean by it. Possibly nothing other than pride.

Users who are viewing this thread