What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined" (1 Viewer)

Marshawn is a different type of cat. He doesn't talk to the media, but if he tells friends he is contemplating retirement, I would sit up and take notice.

I could see him going one more season and walking away, he has taken such a beating over these past 7 seasons, but I just don't see him leaving 8.5 MIL on the table

by walking away now.
I keep seeing 8.5 million mentioned. From what I've read, his salary is $5M this year will an addition $500k in roster bonus. He has a $2M roster bonus next year which is why he'll likely be cut if that deal still stands going into next year.

But I've been drinking.... so..... :shrug:
Also had a fair amount of sauce, but per Rotoworld:

Lynch is owed a $5 million salary, $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses, and $1.5 million in a prorated signing bonus.
So, not close to 8.5. At all.
$8.5M exactly - $5M salary, $500k roster bonuses and the $3M in pro-rated signing bonus that he'd have to pay back.
So he'd have to payback half his signing bonus if HE negates the contract? Wasn't sure how that worked...

So he'd have to payback half his signing bonus if HE negates the contract? Wasn't sure how that worked...
Yes. He's played half the contract so he would owe them half the bonus.

cstu said:
Yes. He's played half the contract so he would owe them half the bonus.
in that case, lock the thread. No way I see Lynch paying a cent back.

I'm not sure why everyone is ripping on the OP. I saw this same information on another site. I highly doubt Lynch would walk away and it's probably a ploy to get something he wants but it has been reported elsewhere and I don't see the reason to bash the OP here.

I still remember when Robert Smith retired after winning the rushing title at a still pretty young age.
This has been known in Seattle for awhile, he mentioned this after the Super Bowl.

This is crazy speculation.

Lynch hasn't said he is going to retire or thought of it(only what a couple of teammates have said back in Feb).

Lynch hasn't said he's going to skip minicamp, haven't heard of one person that said he is.

All we hear is "sources" which could be nobody and just propaganda

What do we have?

-A picture of Lynch working out

-Tweets from his mom criticizing the media about this retirement talk

-Jordan Babineaux saying he's been working out this offseason and is unlikely to retire.

Personally, I like where all this is headed. Seattle encouraged players this off-season to take a hometown discount to be part of the team, slandered anyone who didn't (Tate), then let a couple of players break the bank back-to-back in contrast to the be-a-team-player-or-be-on-a-different-team tact they'd taken with everyone else. Now they are playing hardball with another of the grills of the franchise. This can only lead to more discord with the team. Let's see how well Petey's rah-rah holds up in the face of everyone else's bottom line.

I wouldn't really buy into the retirement talk as anything more than a negotiating ploy he would never actually pull the trigger on, but then came the Super Bowl with all those interview requests. One of the biggest stories leading up to the game was how he wouldn't give interviews. He paid fine after fine for walking out of interviews or just not showing up. He's fine giving up money to walk out of that situation, why wouldn't he walk away from money to not keep being picked apart by the media for it? Whether he's a guy who just likes his privacy or if he has some social issues, it's clear he values money a lot less than his ability to cope with his surroundings.

Personally, I like where all this is headed. Seattle encouraged players this off-season to take a hometown discount to be part of the team, slandered anyone who didn't (Tate), then let a couple of players break the bank back-to-back in contrast to the be-a-team-player-or-be-on-a-different-team tact they'd taken with everyone else. Now they are playing hardball with another of the grills of the franchise. This can only lead to more discord with the team. Let's see how well Petey's rah-rah holds up in the face of everyone else's bottom line.

I wouldn't really buy into the retirement talk as anything more than a negotiating ploy he would never actually pull the trigger on, but then came the Super Bowl with all those interview requests. One of the biggest stories leading up to the game was how he wouldn't give interviews. He paid fine after fine for walking out of interviews or just not showing up. He's fine giving up money to walk out of that situation, why wouldn't he walk away from money to not keep being picked apart by the media for it? Whether he's a guy who just likes his privacy or if he has some social issues, it's clear he values money a lot less than his ability to cope with his surroundings.
There's a difference between taking a miniscule fine (relative to his salary) and forgoing that salary completely.

He just wants to play the game, not be bothered by all the distractions. If he can do what he wants in exchange for giving up 1-2% of his salary then that seems worth it to him.

There's a difference between taking a miniscule fine (relative to his salary) and forgoing that salary completely.

He just wants to play the game, not be bothered by all the distractions. If he can do what he wants in exchange for giving up 1-2% of his salary then that seems worth it to him.
Exactly. A "fine" isn't the same as not being paid millions.

I guarantee I would avoid the media like the plague and pay whatever fines I needed to if I was good enough to get a big contract. I hate those asses

Last edited by a moderator:

If it's that he doesn't want to be bothered by all the distractions, then I'd agree with you. If the issue is that he has some sort of social dysfunction (in a clinical sense, not with the stigma attached to that word) which causes him freaky levels of stress whenever he has to confront it, then maybe not feeling like your heart is going to explode every time someone says there's an interview request may be worth it.

So has anyone learned anything yet? I have learned the people who bit on his retirement should never be counted on again for an opinion in regards to anything football related. If they couldnt see this was BS what else can they not see right in front of them?

So has anyone learned anything yet? I have learned the people who bit on his retirement should never be counted on again for an opinion in regards to anything football related. If they couldnt see this was BS what else can they not see right in front of them?
You are claiming that you can no longer count on (trust) any football related opinion of those folks who stated that while it was unlikely to happen the possibility existed that Lynch could retire?

I don't believe I read any post in here where someone said it was a foregone conclusion (or, more likely than not) that he was retiring. I don't believe anybody "bit" on the retirement talk/speculation/whatever you want to call it. People who posted that it was possible it could happen also said they highly doubted it would.

There was some reasonable discussion in here, for the most part.

I don't think the lesson you learned, at least the one you posted about here, is the lesson to take from this. It's a false conclusion based on false assumptions.

You are claiming that you can no longer count on (trust) any football related opinion of those folks who stated that while it was unlikely to happen the possibility existed that Lynch could retire?

I don't believe I read any post in here where someone said it was a foregone conclusion (or, more likely than not) that he was retiring. I don't believe anybody "bit" on the retirement talk/speculation/whatever you want to call it. People who posted that it was possible it could happen also said they highly doubted it would.

I don't think the lesson you learned, at least the one you posted about here, is the lesson to take from this. It's a false conclusion based on false assumptions.
No... its being naive, plain and simple for any one person to actually take weight in this. It also shows that people will believe whatever the media and someone looking for clicks on a website says and that is sad too.

No... its being naive, plain and simple for any one person to actually take weight in this. It also shows that people will believe whatever the media and someone looking for clicks on a website says and that is sad too.
This coming from the person who doesn't think the Saints are willing to make Jimmy Graham the highest paid TE in the league.

Remember when the first report came out that Ricky Williams was retiring so that he could go overseas and smoke weed every day?

Not one person (at least not one that I have talked to or seen a post from) thought Lynch was retiring. If anything you should condemn the person who reported it rather than the people who read it and talked about it, because nobody believed he was retiring.

Stranger things have happened though, so when a report comes out like that from a strange fella like Lynch, it's worth at least taking note, even though it was a 1 in a million kinda thing.

I thought there was a zero chance of him retiring, but can't blame people for thinking the chances were higher, like 0.000001%

Please, point out just one post where somebody stated they believed Lynch would retire. Not a post where there was discussion on the possibility but unlikelihood of it, but where somebody "bit" into the news blurb hook, line and sinker. And sure, if you can find one, then by all means remove that poster from your "trusted football opinion" list. To lump all posters, who were at least willing to acknowledge that the (very minor) possibility of retirement existed, into a category of posters who you could no longer count on for football related discussion is what is naive.

So, since this site reported it in their daily email, you can't trust anything at FBG from here on out, right?

Guess there's no reason for you to come back then. It's been great! :bye:

This has confirmed my suspicion that Ian Rapoport has no filter before he tries to out-scoop the rest of the twitterers.

In the scheme of lessons learned this one was not that earth shattering though

This is just a poorly thought out come back. If you were actually reading and comprehending the thoughts in this thread you would see about 95% of the people felt it was highly unlikely that Lynch would retire but defending that when credible sources are reporting the possibility that it is discussion worthy. I feel so bad that you won't count on the opinions of so many who posted here.

So, since this site reported it in their daily email, you can't trust anything at FBG from here on out, right?

Guess there's no reason for you to come back then. It's been great! :bye:
Come on man. We go to the well of Phenix for all our knowledge. Don't sent him packing.

This is just a poorly thought out come back. If you were actually reading and comprehending the thoughts in this thread you would see about 95% of the people felt it was highly unlikely that Lynch would retire but defending that when credible sources are reporting the possibility that it is discussion worthy. I feel so bad that you won't count on the opinions of so many who posted here.
K, again, what credible sources? I told you it was a nothing story, no one listened, guess I had a more credible source.... LYNCH'S OWN MOTHER ON TWITTER! But hey, why listen to that when you can listen to ta talking head on TV try to fill time and a column. I could see through the pitch black of night this was a nothing story, so I stick by my guns and say if anyone thoughts there was truth to it or even entertain the notion how can your opinion be valuable if you are easily blinded by the reliable media?

Is this the part where everyone backs down from their initial thought of "The media said so, so lets start a thread and talk about how certain it is and the possibilities" that Lynch was retiring? I would do that too If I was flat out wrong in this and if my opinion on this topic was persuaded by the Christine Michael hype and the hope he could be the lead guy.

I love when I hold people accountable for their incorrect opinions, someone has to or else you will just post continuous nonsense.

This has confirmed my suspicion that Ian Rapoport has no filter before he tries to out-scoop the rest of the twitterers.

In the scheme of lessons learned this one was not that earth shattering though
:goodposting:

Some still have not learned this lesson, earth shattering or not.

K, again, what credible sources? I told you it was a nothing story, no one listened, guess I had a more credible source.... LYNCH'S OWN MOTHER ON TWITTER! But hey, why listen to that when you can listen to ta talking head on TV try to fill time and a column. I could see through the pitch black of night this was a nothing story, so I stick by my guns and say if anyone thoughts there was truth to it or even entertain the notion how can your opinion be valuable if you are easily blinded by the reliable media?

Is this the part where everyone backs down from their initial thought of "The media said so, so lets start a thread and talk about how certain it is and the possibilities" that Lynch was retiring? I would do that too If I was flat out wrong in this and if my opinion on this topic was persuaded by the Christine Michael hype and the hope he could be the lead guy.

I love when I hold people accountable for their incorrect opinions, someone has to or else you will just post continuous nonsense.
Could you post the names of the members who you no longer can give any credibility to because of this thread? By my review almost all if not everyone said highly doubtful that this would happen. Joe Bryant himself posted here that this word of this possibility was being leaked out by good sources. We all knew it was very unlikely that Lynch would retire. Just who do you think you are holding accountable here? You act like you were the only one who knew Lynch wasn't going to retire when in fact almost everyone in this thread and the entire conversation was about how unlikely it would be. You must be some sort of genius?

Could you post the names of the members who you no longer can give any credibility to because of this thread? By my review almost all if not everyone said highly doubtful that this would happen. Joe Bryant himself posted here that this word of this possibility was being leaked out by good sources. We all knew it was very unlikely that Lynch would retire. Just who do you think you are holding accountable here? You act like you were the only one who knew Lynch wasn't going to retire when in fact almost everyone in this thread and the entire conversation was about how unlikely it would be. You must be some sort of genius?
Nope, just not naive like some, others knew this was dead in the water and laughed it off ASAP. Others considered it as a possibility and I have to question how naive they are. Just my opinion, which I guess everyone but I is allowed to have. lol

As far as Joe goes, this is his site he can set any topic he wants, does not mean in general that this is even a worthy topic. But again, this is his site, what he says goes, trust me I know this. He will probably suspend me for sharing that opinion, god knows I have been suspended for much less.

Nope, just not naive like some, others knew this was dead in the water and laughed it off ASAP. Others considered it as a possibility and I have to question how naive they are. Just my opinion, which I guess everyone but I is allowed to have. lol

As far as Joe goes, this is his site he can set any topic he wants, does not mean in general that this is even a worthy topic. But again, this is his site, what he says goes, trust me I know this. He will probably suspend me for sharing that opinion, god knows I have been suspended for much less.
Or you could, you know, not piss all over every thread you don't like. Just a thought.

Or you could, you know, not piss all over every thread you don't like. Just a thought.
...or people can not be so sensitive on a message board discussing a mans game. Just another thought.

Another thought, not every opinion someone posts you will like and if you dislike it show your displeasure like so many do. Great thing about opinions, they only offend the sensitive.

I used to work with this guy, he always was trying to demonstrate how much smarter he was than everyone. Inevitably, he would demonstrate he was actually of below average intelligence.

Annoying, but kind of funny. Not sure why I just thought of him.

Phenix said:
Amused to Death said:
Phenix said:
Warhogs said:
Phenix said:

...or people can not be so sensitive on a message board discussing a mans game. Just another thought.

Another thought, not every opinion someone posts you will like and if you dislike it show your displeasure like so many do. Great thing about opinions, they only offend the sensitive.
No. Amused to Death is right. Stop pissing all over threads and chest thumping everything. Or find a new board.

J

Maybe Lynch realizes that a Defense is a Running Back's best friend and wants to make a run at defending the title...

I wonder if he retires when he finally has to serve his suspension from that arrest a couple years ago

I wonder if he retires when he finally has to serve his suspension from that arrest a couple years ago
It was already dismissed
He could still get suspended under the leagues personal conduct policy, but thats not happening because if it was dismissed it means there was nothing to charge him for. So why would the commish suspended for him getting wrongfully arrested? I know people have been suspended before but those were for actions far worse if true.

I reread the entire thread (for sanity's sake). No one bit on this... it's just random discussion.

You're a strange dude.

Rotoworld:

Marshawn Lynch - RB - Seahawks

The Seattle Times guesses Marshawn Lynch could lose 45-50 carries in 2014.

Lynch averaged 18.8 carries per game last season to finish with 301 totes. Beat writer Bob Condotta's "guess" is that average could fall into the 15-16 range. Extrapolate that out over 16 contests, and Lynch is looking at losing 52 carries if we put the needle at 15.5 carries per game. Those rushes will likely go to Christine Michael, who's expected to be a "regular part of the offense" in 2014. This won't be a true committee, but more of a lightening of the load for Beast Mode. Michael needs to be drafted in all redraft leagues and will likely explode in 2015 for Dynasty purposes. Lynch is still a locked-in borderline RB1/2 for 2014.

Related: Christine Michael

Source: Seattle Times

Jul 16 - 4:14 PM

It was already dismissed
It wasn't dismissed, he plead GUILTY to a "wet reckless driving", which basically means he was drinking and driving like an idiot.

But don't worry, it seems like it's cool with the league, so far...
Nothing wet about it, only reckless driving. Which means the DUI portion is dismissed...

It was already dismissed
It wasn't dismissed, he plead GUILTY to a "wet reckless driving", which basically means he was drinking and driving like an idiot.

Nothing wet about it, only reckless driving. Which means the DUI portion is dismissed...
Please note the First sentence in the article.

You know , the one that says it was Alcohol related?!

http://www.king5.com/sports/seahawks/Lynch-pleads-guilty-to-lesser-charge-in-DUI-case-246393961.html

It was already dismissed

Please note the First sentence in the article.

You know , the one that says it was Alcohol related?!http://www.king5.com/sports/seahawks/Lynch-pleads-guilty-to-lesser-charge-in-DUI-case-246393961.html
And also this article were it actually calls it a " wet reckless".

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/20/marshawn-lynch-to-plead-guilty-to-reckless-driving-to-end-dui-case/

He was in the last year of his contract; with replacements behind him.

Either he holds out now and gets an extension, or gets pounded for another 300 carries and gets a year closer to 30 with no contract at the end of the season.

Either way, Fantasy players should know what Christine Michael's value is when this is all done.

Rotoworld take:

Marshawn Lynch - RB - Seahawks

Marshawn Lynch will hold out of Seahawks training camp as he seeks a new contract.

Bizarrely, the news was broken by former teammate Michael Robinson on NFL Network's Inside Training Camp Live. Lynch has been making noise about his contract all offseason, but it's still a surprise after he reported to June's mandatory minicamp. Perhaps emboldened by Jamaal Charles' successful "holdout," Lynch is going to find the Seahawks much less likely to cave than the Chiefs. He has his age and the presence of Christine Michael and Robert Turbin behind him to thank. Now 28, Lynch is due a reasonable $5 million this season, with another $500,000 available through per-game roster bonuses. At least for the moment, Lynch's mid-second round ADP is no longer looking like a potential bargain.

Related: Christine Michael

Source: NFL.com Jul 24 - 7:05 PM

He was in the last year of his contract; with replacements behind him.

Either he holds out now and gets an extension, or gets pounded for another 300 carries and gets a year closer to 30 with no contract at the end of the season.

Either way, Fantasy players should know what Christine Michael's value is when this is all done.
Not in his last year but likely was going to be cut. I don't know how the Hawks don't pay him, though. Sucks for Michael owners.

Users who are viewing this thread