Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gianmarco

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined"

Recommended Posts

This has disaster written all over it however...I would love to see Lynch do one of those crazy runs where he breaks like 4 tackles and the play feels like it will never end. But the reality is he hasn't seen any action since October 2018...

Lynch 2012 Awesome

Lynch 2020 Not Awesome

I'll put the over under at bout 40 yds total this week vs San Fran who isn't exactly playing their best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Had no idea anyone felt this way about Lynch. Sounds miserable. 

The flip flopping multiple times is annoying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

The flip flopping multiple times is annoying. 

What do you have against flip flops? they're pretty comfy and easy to don/doff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

The flip flopping multiple times is annoying. 

It’s annoying? How does it affect you in any way whatsoever?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

This has disaster written all over it however...I would love to see Lynch do one of those crazy runs where he breaks like 4 tackles and the play feels like it will never end. But the reality is he hasn't seen any action since October 2018...

Lynch 2012 Awesome

Lynch 2020 Not Awesome

I'll put the over under at bout 40 yds total this week vs San Fran who isn't exactly playing their best. 

What kind of projection do you give Travis Homer, MoP? Decent pass catching RB, like Ameer last night? Plus he'll get 8-10 carries I bet for another 50 yards. If the dude scores then he's a solid Flex. Everyone high on Beast Mode, what about Homer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, count me as totally glued to Sunday Night Football to watch this one play out. I can't imagine he's lost it badly enough to be worse than Robert Turbin which means he'll likely get touches. What he does with them is another deal. We're going to see a newsworthy reunion at the very least. Carroll/Lynch/Wilson/Wagner holding over from the SB, of which there should have been two. One last run without so many key cogs that they're a completely different team, but the core up the gut will have adumbrations of an older story. 

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

The flip flopping multiple times is annoying. 

 

Why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have questionale objectivity as a lifelong Seahawk fan but the story is absolutely awesome.  Cheapest single game seats available on the secondary market are about $400 right now.  Some of that is Lynch's return.

10 carries and 30 to 40 yards is on the realistic end.  I doubt he starts and Seattle is a hot mess with injuries.  San Francisco should win this game.  But if a banged up team with Lynch making a play or two wins the game?  It's going to be fun.

Either way,   Seattle doesn't necessarily have a motherload of borderline hall of famers in football, basketball, or baseball.  The feeling of getting Beast Mode back for at least one more game has been pretty great.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dinkle Heimer said:

I have questionale objectivity as a lifelong Seahawk fan but the story is absolutely awesome.  Cheapest single game seats available on the secondary market are about $400 right now.  Some of that is Lynch's return.

10 carries and 30 to 40 yards is on the realistic end.  I doubt he starts and Seattle is a hot mess with injuries.  San Francisco should win this game.  But if a banged up team with Lynch making a play or two wins the game?  It's going to be fun.

Either way,   Seattle doesn't necessarily have a motherload of borderline hall of famers in football, basketball, or baseball.  The feeling of getting Beast Mode back for at least one more game has been pretty great.  

I don't really care who wins the game but I would love to see acou pile of violent 10 yard runs from Beast.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dinkle Heimer said:

I have questionale objectivity as a lifelong Seahawk fan but the story is absolutely awesome.  Cheapest single game seats available on the secondary market are about $400 right now.  Some of that is Lynch's return.

10 carries and 30 to 40 yards is on the realistic end.  I doubt he starts and Seattle is a hot mess with injuries.  San Francisco should win this game.  But if a banged up team with Lynch making a play or two wins the game?  It's going to be fun.

Either way,   Seattle doesn't necessarily have a motherload of borderline hall of famers in football, basketball, or baseball.  The feeling of getting Beast Mode back for at least one more game has been pretty great.  

This is exactly right. The season is pretty much shot with these injuries all happening right at the end of the season. Bad luck.

The move is a million times better than bringing in some other random retread. Lynch coming back is a great, great story and is for the fans and the writers. 

Him giving significant contributions on the field is a huge long shot. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2019 at 7:24 PM, Team Smokin' said:

What kind of projection do you give Travis Homer, MoP? Decent pass catching RB, like Ameer last night? Plus he'll get 8-10 carries I bet for another 50 yards. If the dude scores then he's a solid Flex. Everyone high on Beast Mode, what about Homer?

I like Homer, former UM Tailback, he was decent with a lousy OL down here in Coral Gables...what Miami OL has been drafted and is flourishing in the NFL right now in say the last 5 years. Miami used to send Tackles into the NFL like an assembly line but not now, maybe never again. 

I could see him getting 10-15 touches, Lynch is not in game shape right now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL network projects Lynch to get 10-15 carries tonight. Granted it's a stout rush D in SF. Can't ya just see Carroll calling Lynch's number near the goal line? You gotta wonder if that one play they chose to throw the ball and not hand off to Beast Mode weighs in his mind? Can't ya just see Carroll giving his whewwwwwwwwwwwww fist pump? Or does he fizzle? No one seems to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 12/24/2019 at 11:24 PM, Dinkle Heimer said:

I have questionale objectivity as a lifelong Seahawk fan but the story is absolutely awesome.  Cheapest single game seats available on the secondary market are about $400 right now.  Some of that is Lynch's return.

10 carries and 30 to 40 yards is on the realistic end.  I doubt he starts and Seattle is a hot mess with injuries.  San Francisco should win this game.  But if a banged up team with Lynch making a play or two wins the game?  It's going to be fun.

Either way,   Seattle doesn't necessarily have a motherload of borderline hall of famers in football, basketball, or baseball.  The feeling of getting Beast Mode back for at least one more game has been pretty great.  

Color me basking in thrillness.

Edited by Dinkle Heimer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2019 at 12:04 PM, Ministry of Pain said:

This has disaster written all over it however...I would love to see Lynch do one of those crazy runs where he breaks like 4 tackles and the play feels like it will never end. But the reality is he hasn't seen any action since October 2018...

Lynch 2012 Awesome

Lynch 2020 Not Awesome

I'll put the over under at bout 40 yds total this week vs San Fran who isn't exactly playing their best. 

Update?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Update?

Outside of a couple of goal line carries he has been very ineffective running the ball

Edited by Sam Quentin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sam Quentin said:

Outside of a couple of goal line carries he has been very ineffective running the ball

Against two of the top DVOA Rush Defenses in the NFL this year, he went 12-34 and a TD and then 6 for 7 for a TD, with 32 total yards.

Tough sledding, to say the least.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Marshawn Lynch is "ready to handle more of a workload" following Seattle's Wild Card win over the Eagles.

Lynch has clearly lacked explosiveness in rushing for 18/41/2 and 2.27 yards per carry since re-joining Seattle. Even so, Carroll implies he'll get the 33-year-old bruiser involved more over rookie Travis Homer, who has out-snapped the veteran 94 to 41 in the team's last two games. Lynch has two-touchdown upside worth chasing in short DFS slates but hasn't shown the downhill quickness to suggest he can eclipse the 100-yard mark. Expect Homer to be involved in the passing game while Lynch sticks as their de facto goal line runner.

SOURCE: Brady Henderson on Twitter

Jan 6, 2020, 12:47 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sam Quentin said:

Outside of a couple of goal line carries he has been very ineffective running the ball

Beast moded the hawks to round 2.  A couple of teams sitting at home this weekend settled for FGs.  

In just here to win Super Bowl MVP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Marshawn Lynch rushed 12 times for 26 yards and two touchdowns in the Seahawks' Divisional round loss to the Packers.

It was obviously tough sledding on the ground for the 33-year-old, though he did essentially fall into the end zone a couple times for a pair of one-yard scores. Coach Pete Carroll said Lynch would get more work in this one, and he was featured early before the game started to get out of hand for Seattle, and the coaches had to let Russell Wilson work his second-half magic. Lynch came out of retirement in Week 17 and rushed for a combined 30-67-4 line across three games. He doesn't have much left in the tank, but it was fun to see Beast Mode in action again. Lynch is likely done for good this time, as he'll turn 34 in April and spent 14 months on the street before the Seahawks got desperate last month.

Jan 12, 2020, 10:16 PM ET

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The General said:

Take care of y'all chickens

Probably seen the last of Marshawn in the League.

One of my favorite players, favorite personalities in the NFL. See you when you get put up in the Seahawks ring of honor.

What a cool bonus it was to have him back for a couple more touchdowns.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 8:31 AM, The General said:

Marshawn on metaphors

NSFW - he has a pottymouth

Over and over and over and over...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

Over and over and over and over...

:pause:

and over and over and over and over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So can us diehards make the case for Marshawn's greatness to wind up in the HoF, or are they just running videos of his two Beast Mode runs (NO and AZ) on loops in Canton?

Seems to me he's got an outsider's chance, which means he really has none.

But let's argue with our hearts here. I hereby support and will throw verbally with anyone who doesn't believe his moments of greatness are among the best ever in the sport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Faust said:

Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch Further Enhances Hall of Fame Candidacy

IMHO his numbers leave him on the outside looking in and his surliness with the media won’t help his cause.

Nice article. My personal opinion is that even the media is no longer what it was. They know how ####ty they can be at times, and they instead march to beat of people who march to the beat of their own drummer. Lynch's late start to his career is what will cost him, though. But he was a bright meteor/comet in the league like few others, and deserves a place in its all-time lore, at the very least, if not enshrinement into its ultimate honor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Nice article. My personal opinion is that even the media is no longer what it was. They know how ####ty they can be at times, and they instead march to beat of people who march to the beat of their own drummer. Lynch's late start to his career is what will cost him, though. But he was a bright meteor/comet in the league like few others, and deserves a place in its all-time lore, at the very least, if not enshrinement into its ultimate honor. 

It isn’t the broader media who will determine his fate; rather enshrinees are selected by a 48-person committee largely made up of media members, officially known as the Selection Committee.

The Selection Committee is supposed to only factor in a players on-field accomplishments; however, Peter King and others have published articles stating that off-field considerations creep into the debate and that includes how they treated the media. They remain fairly old school as a collective group, and that will hurt Marshawn’s chances of getting in.

I am right there with you for how memorable his playing style and personality were, and the ‘Beast Quake’ run in the playoffs ranks as one of my favourite plays of all time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Faust said:

It isn’t the broader media who will determine his fate; rather enshrinees are selected by a 48-person committee largely made up of media members, officially known as the Selection Committee.

The Selection Committee is supposed to only factor in a players on-field accomplishments; however, Peter King and others have published articles stating that off-field considerations creep into the debate and that includes how they treated the media. They remain fairly old school as a collective group, and that will hurt Marshawn’s chances of getting in.

I didn't know this. Thanks, Faust. I'd imagine the signature crotch-grabbing won't endear him to them, either. Even I blanch at that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This won't be popular but I'd prefer to put in Lynch over a well-liked compiler like Gore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gore has averaged 4.3 yards per carry for 15 years of 100+ carry years. Lynch 4.2 ypc for his 10 years of over 100 carries. Gore also caught nearly twice as many passes for nearly twice as many yards. Gore simply has been more productive for far more years. I'm going to guess (hope) that you are just too young to remember when Gore was one of the most dangerous backs in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really, and I'm saying this in general and not to Catbird, I know the HoF case is tough with him. His years in Buffalo and starting out with an absolute disaster of a Seattle team with Tarvaris Jackson as starting QB in his prime years from 22-26 didn't help Marshawn. He did his damage from 21-22 years old and then from 25 on, missing the prime years of 23 and 24, which puts him way behind the eight ball when it comes to modern RBs. Retiring at 29/30 didn't help him any as he took a year off and then came back to Oakland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Catbird said:

 remember when Gore was one of the most dangerous backs in the game.

not really. He was a good back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a huge Gore fan and haven't owned him a league for at least a decade, but the guy had 9 Thousand Yard rushing seasons (Marshawn 6). In 2006, Gore led the league in Yards per Carry and also Yards per Game. I think that, by definition, is 'one of the most dangerous backs.' Why, if trying to promote Lynch, would you choose to pick on Gore who was better in almost every way except running his mouth and the very occasional great highlight run? There are a lot of HOF RBs that have less business in there than Gore, who has been the third most productive runner (by yards) in the history of the game? Do you think the guy with the third most HRs or pitcher with the third most strikeouts isn't going to be in the baseball Hall of Fame?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Catbird said:

I am not a huge Gore fan and haven't owned him a league for at least a decade, but the guy had 9 Thousand Yard rushing seasons (Marshawn 6). In 2006, Gore led the league in Yards per Carry and also Yards per Game. I think that, by definition, is 'one of the most dangerous backs.' Why, if trying to promote Lynch, would you choose to pick on Gore who was better in almost every way except running his mouth and the very occasional great highlight run? There are a lot of HOF RBs that have less business in there than Gore, who has been the third most productive runner (by yards) in the history of the game? Do you think the guy with the third most HRs or pitcher with the third most strikeouts isn't going to be in the baseball Hall of Fame?

The problem with players that rank well in compiling stats categories is that clearly benefits platers with longevity over players with a shorter career that may have been more explosive or dynamic. Since you brought up Gore, yes, he ranks third in career rushing yards. But based on the Hall of Fame Monitoring Tool, he ranks 21st among RBs with a score of 78.69. The average score for a HOF RB is 109. This is not to say that Gore won't be elected (he will), but there are more things that go into player evaluation than just PLAYER X produced a high career total in yards.

By comparison, Lynch ranks 40th on that list with a score of 51.44. The HOF Monitoring Tool is also just one piece of the pie and a work-in-progress metric, but in this case I think it is pretty accurate. Lynch was a first team All Pro only once in his career (was also second team once). If we are using career rushing yards as a baseline, he is 29th in career rushing yards. But he's 41st in rushing yards per game over his career with 69.9 ypg. Fred Taylor, Steven Jackson, Corey Dillon, Rickey Watters, Jamal Lewis, and Eddie George all rank ahead of Lynch in BOTH of those categories (rushing yards and rushing/gm). I don't see Lynch being that big of an upgrade to those players, and I really don't see him being such an endearing person or a fan of the media to garner enough consideration to make the HOF. Maybe a couple of big plays and being a part of the Seahawks will get him a couple extra votes, but I don't think that will be enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This won't be popular but I'd prefer to put in Lynch over a well-liked compiler like Gore.

Agreed. Lynch's peak was better than Gore's, and he obviously has some of the most memorable runs of the last decade, not to mention he was a key player on a team that won a Super Bowl (and was a yard away from winning another).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not even sure Lynch's HoF chances suffered from not getting the ball against the Patriots. It only seems to add to his legend, really. He's probably the most enigmatic athlete in a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Agreed. Lynch's peak was better than Gore's, and he obviously has some of the most memorable runs of the last decade, not to mention he was a key player on a team that won a Super Bowl (and was a yard away from winning another).

Was Lynch's peak really that much better than Gore's? I generally look at YFS for RB's instead of just rushing yards, as every yard counts the same.

Lynch's Top 5 seasons in YFS added together = 7,784 yards from scrimmage. Gore's Top 5 seasons in YFS = 8,101 yards from scrimmage. Clearly Lynch scored way more TD's (Top 5 years = 65 total TD vs. 48 total TD's for Gore). But Seattle scored more TD's than the 49ers did in that time. Over their careers, inside an opponent's 10 yard line, Lynch scored 66 total TD's in 240 touches (27.5% TD rate) in the regular season. Gore scored 65 times in 263 touches (24.7%). In the post-season, Lynch averaged 86.3 YFS and 0.92 TD per game. Gore averaged 92.8 YFS and 0.56 TD per game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Catbird said:

Gore has averaged 4.3 yards per carry for 15 years of 100+ carry years. Lynch 4.2 ypc for his 10 years of over 100 carries. Gore also caught nearly twice as many passes for nearly twice as many yards. Gore simply has been more productive for far more years. I'm going to guess (hope) that you are just too young to remember when Gore was one of the most dangerous backs in the game.

Gore has had incredible longevity and been a pro's pro. I remember sometime in the early 2010's when he had the hip injury that some thought might end his career, and he bounced right back as the same exact guy. He's also a great dude.

I don't think any of that makes him HOF-worthy. Just staying healthy and baseline productive for a really long time while having coaches love having you in the locker room while never really being the best makes a player a questionable HOF candidate imo. Longevity has to play a part in a guy's eligibility, obviously. That's part of what made guys like Rice and the great QBs and the sack leaders great and allowed them to move up the record boards. With Gore, it seems like his main attribute though. When was he a top-3 talent and producer at his position except maybe early in his career? Being top 15 for a long time isn't HOF-worthy imo. 

But I get we all have different ideas of what HOF means. Lynch doesn't have a great HOF resume necessarily either, but he had some real iconic moments that I think are an integral part of the league's history in a way that Gore just wasn't.

On the other hand Gore is an inspiring story of overcoming--his injuries in college, his injuries in the NFL, hell a learning disability, the entire establishment of the NFL and the way it treats players at his position as disposable. He defied all that for a very long time. Maybe that's HOF worthy to some. I'll have to put more thought into it. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.