What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined" (1 Viewer)

In actuality this is probably bad for Michael owners. The Seahawks are going to pay Lynch and probably set it up so they are more likely to keep him in 2015 too.
It's certainly possible, but I don't think that's the most likely outcome of all this. Lynch has no leverage and the Seahawks (we assume) think they have his talented replacement already. Why would they give in? Because he's a fan favorite and they feel the pressure to bring back as much of their SB winning team as possible? I don't buy it. It sets a bad precedent and they need that cap $$ elsewhere.

Yeah I know right? I mean it's not like Lynch isn't nearly 100% certain to play for Seattle this year.

Yeah I know right? I mean it's not like Lynch isn't nearly 100% certain to play for Seattle this year.
The average from my poll was 80/20 last week. With every passing day, that number changes. In a few weeks, it could be 20/80. Players dont hold out anymore without there being a real issue.

I remember people acting like this about Vincent Jackson. Of course, A.J. Smith is a ########, but then VJax deserved his new contract, Lynch in the eyes of most doesn't.

This could get ugly. If he's willing to forfeit half a mil over this, he's serious...
pretty dumb on his part he has almost zero leverage IMO
Then his leverage is equal the number of ####s he gives.

I remember people acting like this about Vincent Jackson. Of course, A.J. Smith is a ########, but then VJax deserved his new contract, Lynch in the eyes of most doesn't.
Lynch puts his body on the line more than any WR. He deserves not to be kicked out the door at the end of the season.

In actuality this is probably bad for Michael owners. The Seahawks are going to pay Lynch and probably set it up so they are more likely to keep him in 2015 too.
It's certainly possible, but I don't think that's the most likely outcome of all this. Lynch has no leverage and the Seahawks (we assume) think they have his talented replacement already. Why would they give in? Because he's a fan favorite and they feel the pressure to bring back as much of their SB winning team as possible? I don't buy it. It sets a bad precedent and they need that cap $$ elsewhere.
Guaranteeing the final year of your star RB's contract is setting a bad precedent?

Guaranteeing the final year of your star RB's contract is setting a bad precedent?
I'm not saying they won't do it, because it could send a good message as well.

I'm just saying there's an argument to be made that it could set a bad precedent. Yes, a star player with no leverage playing on a fair deal that has multiple years left demanding and getting a new contract could set a bad precedent.

Schefter:

Marshawn Lynch is planning to end his holdout and is expected to report to Seattle's training camp in next 24 hours, via @caplannfl and me.
Marshawn Lynch will not receive new deal and added money he sought but Seattle expected to add some financial concessions to his contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
It gets guaranteed automatically whn he is on the roster game day week 1 (vested veteran)

ETA: Maybe the reason he's on the train to SEA now is that someone explained this little nugget to him...

I guess the message was sent. Beast Mode is now on the train.
Nuttier than a fruitcake but glad he is back. Top5? Probably not but I bet he eats the lion's share there. They rely on him and I personally love to watch Lynch put on a clinic running the football. Not a Seattle fan but Lynch is one of the very best in the NFL. I put him ahead of McCoy, Charles, those guys are FF Superstars but Lynch is IMO on of the most vital RBs in the game. Yes, he has great folks behind him that surely would do well given the pop but that is what makes him more impressive, both of them pretty much sat and watched him last year.

I guess the message was sent. Beast Mode is now on the train.
Nuttier than a fruitcake but glad he is back. Top5? Probably not but I bet he eats the lion's share there. They rely on him and I personally love to watch Lynch put on a clinic running the football. Not a Seattle fan but Lynch is one of the very best in the NFL. I put him ahead of McCoy, Charles, those guys are FF Superstars but Lynch is IMO on of the most vital RBs in the game. Yes, he has great folks behind him that surely would do well given the pop but that is what makes him more impressive, both of them pretty much sat and watched him last year.
Nuttier than Pecan Pie?

Nuttier that dry roasted Planter's?

Nuttier than a hazel latte?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071003200008AAWBuk3

So who were all the people who said he wouldn't get anything?

Profootballtalk reports Marshawn Lynch has agreed to a $1 million raise for 2014, increasing his base salary from $5 million to $6 million.

The deal apparently includes a $500,000 signing bonus. It turns out Lynch's holdout was not in vain after initial reports suggested the Seahawks had held their ground. It's a modest increase, but nod toward Beast Mode's effectiveness during his time in Seattle, and perhaps an acknowledgment that he won't be back at his scheduled $5.5 million salary next season.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Jul 31 - 7:36 PM

Profootballtalk reports Marshawn Lynch has agreed to a $1 million raise for 2014, increasing his base salary from $5 million to $6 million.

The deal apparently includes a $500,000 signing bonus. It turns out Lynch's holdout was not in vain after initial reports suggested the Seahawks had held their ground. It's a modest increase, but nod toward Beast Mode's effectiveness during his time in Seattle, and perhaps an acknowledgment that he won't be back at his scheduled $5.5 million salary next season.
Yep, I was absolutely wrong on this one. I didn't expect them to give him a dime more but they did. I hope (as a fan) this doesn't #### the team later.

Yep, I was absolutely wrong on this one. I didn't expect them to give him a dime more but they did. I hope (as a fan) this doesn't #### the team later.
He was going to get most of that money anyways. Extra million for a guy who is a major major factor to your teams success. Thats a no brainer, the Seahawks saw it the same way. He deserved the money he got, it wasnt unearned. Just like owners bail on deals they dont like, players can do the same thing and I give them no grief for it.

He was going to get most of that money anyways. Extra million for a guy who is a major major factor to your teams success. Thats a no brainer, the Seahawks saw it the same way. He deserved the money he got, it wasnt unearned. Just like owners bail on deals they dont like, players can do the same thing and I give them no grief for it.
I don't agree he's a "major major factor" to the team's success. I believe the team is successful is implementing this smash-mouth style of football but I don't doubt for a second we couldn't air it out and win. It just puts added pressure on the defense to perform with less rest.

I don't expect many people to agree either. But I do *prefer* the style of game we play with Marshawn in the backfield--I think it's more fun to watch.

I think this might increase the chances that he's gone next season though. But who knows. I'm glad he's back. I have both Turbin and Michael as handcuffs and that's fine by me.

I don't agree he's a "major major factor" to the team's success. I believe the team is successful is implementing this smash-mouth style of football but I don't doubt for a second we couldn't air it out and win. It just puts added pressure on the defense to perform with less rest.

I don't expect many people to agree either. But I do *prefer* the style of game we play with Marshawn in the backfield--I think it's more fun to watch.
Agreed.

Lynch was held to under 60 rushing yards six times last year; the Seahawks were 6-0 in those games, with the average margin of victory being 19 points. Two of those games included the statement game against New Orleans in early December and the Super Bowl win.

Meanwhile, in those six games, Russell Wilson threw for 235 yards per game, with 11 touchdowns and 1 interception.

So yeah, there is no doubt that they could air it out and win.

Agreed.

Lynch was held to under 60 rushing yards six times last year; the Seahawks were 6-0 in those games, with the average margin of victory being 19 points. Two of those games included the statement game against New Orleans in early December and the Super Bowl win.

Meanwhile, in those six games, Russell Wilson threw for 235 yards per game, with 11 touchdowns and 1 interception.

No doubt huh? They have so many great receiving options in the Great Northwest, I also bet they would not play 8 in the box and cheat the run as much without Lynch either, huh?

Seahawks GM just lost all credibility
I think he gained some understanding Lynchs worth.

His great moves and ability to put together a Super Bowl team means nothing because he gave an elite runner an extra mil of money he would earn most likely? I think that is more than just a reach, thats just a Michael owner upset.

Agreed.

No doubt huh? They have so many great receiving options in the Great Northwest, I also bet they would not play 8 in the box and cheat the run as much without Lynch either, huh?
I never said that, but feel free to keep putting words in the mouths of those with whom you disagree.

Agreed.

I never said that, but feel free to keep putting words in the mouths of those with whom you disagree.
Not putting words in your mouth, just repeating them. If you notice the bold underlined statements. I was injecting some doubt to prove there is some doubt with my own statement, so not putting words in your mouth.

Saying there is no doubt that they can win by airing it out does not automatically imply that teams wouldn't play 8 in the box as much without Lynch there. That is your own conclusion, based on your own assumptions.

Saying there is no doubt that they can win by airing it out does not automatically imply that teams wouldn't play 8 in the box as much without Lynch there. That is your own conclusion, based on your own assumptions.
This is true, my own opinion yes. But saying there is no doubt when obviously defenses would change how they play the Seahawks without Lynch and maybe Wilsons flaws get exposed having to pass more. So yes, their is some doubt is my opinion. So was it you are allowed to say your opinion, but I cant respond by saying that?

Lynch is the main cog in the offense and Seattle sees it that way too after todays deal, at least for one more year.

Agreed.

That doesn't sound like "held to 60 yards"...that sounds like "blowout where their stud RB didn't need to do much".

I guess the question is...how often will that happen?

This is true, my own opinion yes. But saying there is no doubt when obviously defenses would change how they play the Seahawks without Lynch and maybe Wilsons flaws get exposed having to pass more. So yes, their is some doubt is my opinion. So was it you are allowed to say your opinion, but I cant respond by saying that?

Lynch is the main cog in the offense and Seattle sees it that way too after todays deal, at least for one more year.
If they had to pay Wilson now, they would. But since he is still on his rookie deal, they don't have to, so they can afford to keep their other valuable offensive player for a high price (Wilson and Lynch are obviously 1 and 2, regardless of what order you, I or anyone else put them).

Agreed.

That doesn't sound like "held to 60 yards"...that sounds like "blowout where their stud RB didn't need to do much".

It happened six times last year.

If they had to pay Wilson now, they would. But since he is still on his rookie deal, they don't have to, so they can afford to keep their other valuable offensive player for a high price (Wilson and Lynch are obviously 1 and 2, regardless of what order you, I or anyone else put them).

Agreed.

It happened six times last year.
Well, six times in 19 games if you are going to go all the way to the super bowl. But yeah, it could go either way. (He did have 6 rushing TDs and 1 Rec TD in those 6 games btw)

Sabertooth said:
I think this might increase the chances that he's gone next season though. But who knows. I'm glad he's back. I have both Turbin and Michael as handcuffs and that's fine by me.
Yup. It was talked about pretty openly on Seattle sports talk going into this year that this will be his last year with the team. Tons of articles and "insiders" are saying the way this deal is set up that he is gone after this year.

Guy has been an amazing player, great teammate, and been one of the key pieces of this run. So glad he signed.

Sabertooth said:
Yup. It was talked about pretty openly on Seattle sports talk going into this year that this will be his last year with the team. Tons of articles and "insiders" are saying the way this deal is set up that he is gone after this year.

Guy has been an amazing player, great teammate, and been one of the key pieces of this run. So glad he signed.
He will go quick on the open market fast next year.

The reports of what actually took place with this situation are conflicting, but its not too hard to piece it together.

The last year of Lynch's contract had no chance to being fulfilled by the team. Lynch was set to be cut after this season. This isn't news to any of the parties involved. To get him into camp this year they moved portions of the money from that last year into this year. The team gets to save face by saying they aren't giving him anything they hadn't already committed to (enormous falsehood) and Lynch gets some cash up front that he would have never seen in any real scenario. The exact dollar amounts have been reported by different outlets as different figures. No shocker there as everyone wants to be first to report even if they're way off base. It will be much easier to know the exact dollar amounts in a few weeks after the dust settles.

Lynch comes out as the huge winner here IMO.

Sabertooth said:

He will go quick on the open market fast next year.
Assuming he doesn't hit the wall this year. RBs with as physical style as his often hit the wall out of nowhere and then it's quickly downhill. But if he doesn't, I agree that some teams will jump quickly to sign him.

The reports of what actually took place with this situation are conflicting, but its not too hard to piece it together.

The last year of Lynch's contract had no chance to being fulfilled by the team. Lynch was set to be cut after this season. This isn't news to any of the parties involved. To get him into camp this year they moved portions of the money from that last year into this year. The team gets to save face by saying they aren't giving him anything they hadn't already committed to (enormous falsehood) and Lynch gets some cash up front that he would have never seen in any real scenario. The exact dollar amounts have been reported by different outlets as different figures. No shocker there as everyone wants to be first to report even if they're way off base. It will be much easier to know the exact dollar amounts in a few weeks after the dust settles.

I'd say win / win for everyone personally. Seattle gets a great player for another year distraction free without any additional commitment in 2015. Great move by the franchise too.

I'd say win / win for everyone personally. Seattle gets a great player for another year distraction free without any additional commitment in 2015. Great move by the franchise too.
Exactly. If I read the clip from rotoworld I think it actually saves some money next year if they cut him.

If I read the clip from rotoworld I think it actually saves some money next year if they cut him.
LINK

Under Lynch's previous contract, he was due to make a $5 million base salary this year, plus $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses, and he could have earned another $500,000 in incentives if he had rushed for 1,500 yards. Now Lynch gets a base salary of $6 million (meaning the Seahawks effectively guaranteed the $1 million he previously would have had to earn), plus they're taking $500,000 that he had been scheduled to get paid in 2015 and giving it to him now instead. In all, Lynch will make $6.5 million this year.
$0.5 million guaranteed for being on the roster all this year. He would have earned that anyway.

$0.5 million guaranteed for hitting 1500 yards this season. I doubt he would have hit that mark this coming season. He did it once in his career (2012 w/ Seattle).

$0.5 million moved from next year's salary to this season. No way he sees that money without the holdout. That doesn't "save" money. It moves it from next year's cap to this year. That money wouldn't have counted against the cap next year if he got cut.

IMO Seattle caved to the tune of an extra $1 million. Half of that they likely wouldn't have had to pay. Half of that there was no way there were going to pay before the holdout.

If I read the clip from rotoworld I think it actually saves some money next year if they cut him.
LINK

Under Lynch's previous contract, he was due to make a $5 million base salary this year, plus $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses, and he could have earned another $500,000 in incentives if he had rushed for 1,500 yards. Now Lynch gets a base salary of $6 million (meaning the Seahawks effectively guaranteed the $1 million he previously would have had to earn), plus they're taking $500,000 that he had been scheduled to get paid in 2015 and giving it to him now instead. In all, Lynch will make $6.5 million this year.
$0.5 million guaranteed for being on the roster all this year. He would have earned that anyway.

$0.5 million guaranteed for hitting 1500 yards this season. I doubt he would have hit that mark this coming season. He did it once in his career (2012 w/ Seattle).

$0.5 million moved from next year's salary to this season. No way he sees that money without the holdout. That doesn't "save" money. It moves it from next year's cap to this year. That money wouldn't have counted against the cap next year if he got cut.

IMO Seattle caved to the tune of an extra $1 million. Half of that they likely wouldn't have had to pay. Half of that there was no way there were going to pay before the holdout.
That makes more sense, the Rotoworld blurb was worded oddly. Glad they ponied up the extra cash to get him back in the fold.

Users who are viewing this thread