What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are there so many flaky people? (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
I'm going to rant. I'm sitting here in a parking lot, waiting for a contractor to show up for a meeting with my client. I've been waiting for an hour. In frustration my client has left- Saturday was the only time he could show, so now we have to put this off another week. The guy who is late isnt answering his phone or texts. Hopefully he's not dead, or I'll feel guilty for writing this. But otherwise...

Why are people never on time these days? Why do they flake so often on appointments? It happens all the ####### time! I've never missed an appointment in my life without calling. I call if I'm going to more than a few minutes late. What happened to courtesy? Punctuality? #### this ####.

End of rant.

Simple answer is we have so many people caught up in their own lives they don't think of others feelings.

Now in your case that is just flat out wrong to do that to someone you are in business with and wouldn't being doing business with me much longer unless they have a very valid excuse and even then I may think twice about asking them back.

I agree fully with Tim on this one. I do project management work with our clients who are opening retail stores around the country. So the vendors we manage are real estate brokers, real estate attorneys, architects, contractors, city permitting offices, equipment manufacturers and freight companies.

I would say 20% of the time they perform on time according to their own set of expectations. Our timelines are built in conjunction with these vendors' own LONGEST estimated timelines, and they usually miss them.

The worst are LL listing brokers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Los Angeles is the only place in the US where flaking is considered a legit excuse.

"Why didn't you show up at my party, man?"

"Oh, sorry. I flaked."

"Ah, alright, it's cool."

I'm going to piggyback this by wondering when the concept of customer service died a horrible, torturous death. Nowadays, especially in every tentacle of the service industry, I'm astonished when I get attentive, courteous, competent customer service.

Also, it continually surprises me that Tim has a job. When the hell does he have time to do it? Do you never sleep, Tim? Or do you just have superhuman multi-tasking abilities?

Guy just called me.

"Sorry man, I got the time wrong. I thought it was supposed to be 2pm, not 12." (This is after I checked with him twice yesterday.)

"Well, why didn't you answer your phone or text?"

"I had my phone turned off. Sorry about that."

WTF. I was about to fire him and then stopped myself. I don't have another contractor ready to go at the moment who knows the property. So I said I'd get back to him. If I can find a replacement he's gone.

Also, it continually surprises me that Tim has a job. When the hell does he have time to do it? Do you never sleep, Tim? Or do you just have superhuman multi-tasking abilities?
My job entails a ton of waiting around, either waiting in my office or on site. Then too, there are lots of slow time, before things get really busy.

If I really wanted to, I could keep myself busy at all times, constantly calling potential clients, driving around looking for more locations, etc. I would make much more money that I do now. But I'm lazy.

These are the same people who complain about how hard they're getting screwed by the one percenters.

You know, the people who show up for things on time.

I work with is many kids that try pretty hard in class and could do well in school, but are absent 30+ days over the year, mostly for no real reason. They fall behind or miss projects/tests. They don't make the tests up or do so a week later and have forgotten half of it by then. I can't believe their parents allow them to skip so much, knowing their kid is failing many of their classes.

Then you leave a voicemail for mom and it takes her a week to return your call, you schedule a meeting and the parent doesn't show, even though went out of your way to make it work around their schedule. Then, it all makes sense.

This happens on a rare occasion for me. There are two parties to every encounter like this. If it's happening to YOU (read, "one" not you specifically Tim) then maybe the problem isn't other people :oldunsure: I have found that, generally speaking, if they respect you they won't pull stuff like this.

People that are constantly late are about 2 steps above murderers, rapists, and kid-touchers. You can quote me on on that.
:goodpost:

This is the first thing I learned when I went to college. I was late 5 minutes for the first appointment with my advisor, and he told me it is one of the most disrespectful thing I can do to another human being. He said I would have to get a new advisor if I cannot be on time, and I was never late again. The next lesson he gave me is to remember to sit on the other side of his deaf ear...

Maybe its because common people only had access to clocks and precise time. The mass production of clocks is only a little over 100 years old. Most people did not have business meetings or anywhere important to be at a certain time until the industrial revolution. Early factories would send "knockers" around town to wake people up. They carried a long pole and would literally bang on the windows or doors of workers to get them up on time. Even as little as 3-4 generations ago, most people lived on a farm and didn't need to meet schedules. We're probably just not wired for it.

I'm on the flip side of this rant. I am constantly early for everything. From my job to appointments and such. There is little appreciation in that manner as well. No one has to ever ask "where are you?" because I am, most likely, there. On the other hand, people, if they do have to ask "where are you?" they always notice the one time you aren't there and they bring it up.

From Tim's POV... he may not bring up the fact to the guy that he was late but the one time Tim might be late... this guy will not let him forget about it. That's what irks me. The other person can be late all the time and never feel remorse of any kind but the one time you are late... all hell breaks loose. Maybe being flaky is not such a bad thing since the flaky people are always right. (sarcasm)

The only strange thing to me is when people act like there was ever a time when people always were punctual. For almost all of human history it was impossible to be punctual, and even when it was, most people weren't.

The only strange thing to me is when people act like there was ever a time when people always were punctual. For almost all of human history it was impossible to be punctual, and even when it was, most people weren't.
You can do what you like but my experience is people who are punctual are more reliable.

I'm OCD about being on time. If I'm 15 minutes early, I'll drive seven minutes past my destination and turn around driving the same speed. That way I'll have sixty seconds to kill before the appointment.

I lived in Southern Italy for three years, not sure this bothers me all that much anymore.
I know what you're saying but Americans are obsessed with punctuality and being late doesn't fly here.
We are talking about appointments here, pal.I do notice that people in Europe take their time when they eat out at restaurants. They do not wolf down their food like us Americans.

I had a 15 minute rule when I was dating -- 15 minutes late on an early date with no good reason and you were 86ed. You're willing to be that rude when you don't even know me yet I already know how the story ends.

I'd fire that dude too Tim.

I had a 15 minute rule when I was dating -- 15 minutes late on an early date with no good reason and you were 86ed. You're willing to be that rude when you don't even know me yet I already know how the story ends.I'd fire that dude too Tim.
A guy who is late will always be late. You can ever trust him.

Contractors take care of those who take care of them. My contractor bends over backwards for me and never answers his phone when he is working with me. I'm very generous with him, and I'm pretty sure that's why I have zero issues with him. If you're not getting the attention you want from a contractor then he has someone else who is more important to him then you are.

Contractors take care of those who take care of them. My contractor bends over backwards for me and never answers his phone when he is working with me. I'm very generous with him, and I'm pretty sure that's why I have zero issues with him. If you're not getting the attention you want from a contractor then he has someone else who is more important to him then you are.
That ismoften tru but some dogs bite the hand that feeds them.

My son's Tae Kwon Do teacher was trying to make a point to the kids, and he asked the parents what time they show up for a 1:00 appointment. The answer he was looking for was obviously 12:45. The instructor asks my wife the question, and my wife replies "1:00". He probably wanted to kill her, but she answered honestly. She keeps a busy schedule and times things so that she arrives on on time. I thought it was funny.

People that are constantly late are about 2 steps above murderers, rapists, and kid-touchers. You can quote me on on that.
:goodpost:

This is the first thing I learned when I went to college. I was late 5 minutes for the first appointment with my advisor, and he told me it is one of the most disrespectful thing I can do to another human being. He said I would have to get a new advisor if I cannot be on time, and I was never late again. The next lesson he gave me is to remember to sit on the other side of his deaf ear...
There was one professor in law school who locked his door at the beginning of class. I was walking by one day and this chick was knocking on the door. He opened it and asked what she wanted. She told him her Dad didn't pay her tuition so she could get locked out of class. He laughed and shut the door.

Maybe its because common people only had access to clocks and precise time. The mass production of clocks is only a little over 100 years old. Most people did not have business meetings or anywhere important to be at a certain time until the industrial revolution. Early factories would send "knockers" around town to wake people up. They carried a long pole and would literally bang on the windows or doors of workers to get them up on time. Even as little as 3-4 generations ago, most people lived on a farm and didn't need to meet schedules. We're probably just not wired for it.
Why is it that most people are on time?

Link?
Well, what he says is not exactly untrue. People are illiterate for most of human history too.

Link?
Well, what he says is not exactly untrue. People are illiterate for most of human history too.
It's not only not exactly untrue. It's simple common sense. :shrug:

I've worked in writing/editing my whole life, so I got no sympathy for a contractor who's an hour late.

Ever worked with a novelist? If they're within a year of schedule, you hold a party in their honor.

I've worked in writing/editing my whole life, so I got no sympathy for a contractor who's an hour late.

Ever worked with a novelist? If they're within a year of schedule, you hold a party in their honor.
I sense a bias for the "creative" artist type.

Link?
I don't know about that. I'm sure farmers started tending fields at sunup. People met at high noon. I bet if Mom said be home for dinner by sundown kids were there.

Link?
I don't know about that. I'm sure farmers started tending fields at sunup. People met at high noon. I bet if Mom said be home for dinner by sundown kids were there.
Exactly, people are pretty smart. They had plenty of ways of keeping track of the time.

I think most people are not on time. I cannot recall any place I have ever worked where anyone was always on time every pay period.

I think most people are not on time. I cannot recall any place I have ever worked where anyone was always on time every pay period.
Most people are on time most of the time. Right?

Not according to Tim. Tim says people skip meetings with him all the time and he cannot figure out why.

Not according to Tim. Tim says people skip meetings with him all the time and he cannot figure out why.
Most of the time the only people that don't show up at all are lookie loos who call me about some space they want to see. That's annoying, but in my business its to be expected.

But I'm not really complaining about that. I'm mostly griping here about the people who are supposed to show up at a certain time, and then are late, and don't call or anything. I can't help it, it drives me ####### crazy. If you're going to be late, have the decency to call!

I guess I have been conditioned because I worked for a German in my first job out of college.

There is a group of people who are expert at this puntuality game. Plumbers, electricians and cable guys will tell you they will get to your house "sometime that day". If you are lucky, they may narrow it down to the morning or the afternoon.

Up until 1940, there was a woman who sold the time. Ruth Belville, aka the Greenwich Time Lady, ran the business her father started in the 1830s. They sold time all around London. She would get up first thing in the morning, travel over to where she could see Big Ben, then set her watch to the correct time. She would then travel around the city to businesses that paid for her subscription service, she would show up every morning and let them sync their clocks to hers. Once she made her morning rounds to subscribers, she also sold peeks at her wristwatch for the rest of the day.

I guess I have been conditioned because I worked for a German in my first job out of college.There is a group of people who are expert at this puntuality game. Plumbers, electricians and cable guys will tell you they will get to your house "sometime that day". If you are lucky, they may narrow it down to the morning or the afternoon.
I have to assume that is just the nature of their job. You aren't always exactly sure how long something will take and there are always lots of hiccups that can slow the process. Like when the cable guy gives you a wide estimate. Their prior jobs to fix someone's cable might just mean switching out the box or it might mean re-running the cable wire to the house and anywhere in between.

Up until 1940, there was a woman who sold the time. Ruth Belville, aka the Greenwich Time Lady, ran the business her father started in the 1830s. They sold time all around London. She would get up first thing in the morning, travel over to where she could see Big Ben, then set her watch to the correct time. She would then travel around the city to businesses that paid for her subscription service, she would show up every morning and let them sync their clocks to hers. Once she made her morning rounds to subscribers, she also sold peeks at her wristwatch for the rest of the day.
Very interesting stuff! Thanks for the post.

I guess I have been conditioned because I worked for a German in my first job out of college.There is a group of people who are expert at this puntuality game. Plumbers, electricians and cable guys will tell you they will get to your house "sometime that day". If you are lucky, they may narrow it down to the morning or the afternoon.
I have to assume that is just the nature of their job. You aren't always exactly sure how long something will take and there are always lots of hiccups that can slow the process. Like when the cable guy gives you a wide estimate. Their prior jobs to fix someone's cable might just mean switching out the box or it might mean re-running the cable wire to the house and anywhere in between.
Yes, it all comes down to expectations. I am less impatient because they do not promise a specific time.

Yes, it all comes down to expectations. I am less impatient because they do not promise a specific time.
Yep, good point.

This happens on a rare occasion for me. There are two parties to every encounter like this. If it's happening to YOU (read, "one" not you specifically Tim) then maybe the problem isn't other people :oldunsure: I have found that, generally speaking, if they respect you they won't pull stuff like this.
Then you dont deal with contractors very often. Respect has little to do with it. I am pretty much the final decision maker on all repairs/improvements/etc at our three facilities. The amount of no shows I encounter for just getting people to give me a quote is insane. The amount of contractors I leave an initial call to and never hear a peep from them is also amusing.

We need a new roof. We received a brochure in the mail. I called the number and spoke to a woman about getting an estimate. Within minutes I get a call back from the guy who does the estimates. We schedule a time.He tells me it will take about a half hour and he will bring some samples to show me. Time comes and goes, and I am now to the point where I have to leave for the day. He calls and tells me he is running way behind had a huge repair issue 45 minutes away, blah blah. He says he is still coming in though and will be there in 15 minutes. I tell him I wont be able to wait, but my maintenance guy is here and he can show you which building needs a new roof and he can get you a ladder if you need to get up there. Told him he could show him the samples and I trust my guys opinion and that he could then send me the quote.

3 weeks later he stops by my office mid-day unannounced and I assume he is just dropping off the quote. Nope. He never came that evening. He is now doing work right up the street and wanted to now take a look at it. Told him no thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread