What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tipping at various locations (1 Viewer)

How much do you tip at a "breasturant" (Hooters, etc.)?

• As much as usual, regardless of whom I am with

Votes: 120 57.1%
  • More than usual, regardless of whom I am with

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • As much as usual, but whom I am with may change that

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • More than usual, but whom I am with may change that

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Less than usual

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • I don't go to such places

Votes: 54 25.7%

• Total voters

Keith R

The Don
Just wanting to get a feel as to when people's tipping norms change.

Regarding the "breasturants", a friend of mine that works at The Library says her worst tippers are couples whereas her best tippers are those in big groups. She says even groups of women are better than solitary drinkers/diners, much less the couples. Wondering if the FFA tendencies match those observations (and figured may as well open up other situations to the poll at the same time).

As much as usual

As much as usual

More than a buck but less than if I was eating there

As much as usual, regardless of whom I am with, but probably should have voted I don't go to such places.

Doesn't matter where I'm sitting. I start at 15% and go up or down based on service. Usually has to be pretty bad to go down.

Is this the official tipping thread?

Scenario:

You and your significant other are at a resort where the breakfast buffet is included in the cost of the room. You have your breakfast buffet and the server brings you a check after that reads 2 buffets $60 and then has a credit for (-$60) for a total of zero for the bill. The server brought you a water or coffee and presumably cleaned up after you left.

How much do you tip here?

krista4 said:

Scenario:

You and your significant other are at a resort where the breakfast buffet is included in the cost of the room. You have your breakfast buffet and the server brings you a check after that reads 2 buffets $60 and then has a credit for (-$60) for a total of zero for the bill. The server brought you a water or coffee and presumably cleaned up after you left.

I'd leave $10. The fact it was already included doesn't matter, so I'd leave the same I'd leave for any buffet, which is less than I'd leave for regular service.
First, I have never had a breakfast buffet that was worth anywhere close to $30 per person. I would not tip based on some inflated price the resort sets that virtually nobody actually pays. Unless there was some spectacular items on the menu, I would value it at closer to $15 per person and tip accordingly, probably $5, especially considering it was a buffet.

krista4 said:

Scenario:

I'd leave $10. The fact it was already included doesn't matter, so I'd leave the same I'd leave for any buffet, which is less than I'd leave for regular service.
First, I have never had a breakfast buffet that was worth anywhere close to $30 per person. I would not tip based on some inflated price the resort sets that virtually nobody actually pays. Unless there was some spectacular items on the menu, I would value it at closer to $15 per person and tip accordingly, probably $5, especially considering it was a buffet.
5 yes

10? no

While we're discussing tipping; what do you tip your butcher?

We ordered over 100 lbs. of meat recently, no special cuts. I didn't think about tipping until I got home.

We go there often as it's also a good bbq joint, and the owner is a good dude. I can make up the lack of a tip if I was wrong for not tipping.

ETA: the owner is the butcher, only two other people work there, running the cash register and making side dishes. So I would have tipped the owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that said "tripping" and I was prepared to tell a cool story about the Peace Valley Nature Center

While we're discussing tipping; what do you tip your butcher?

We ordered over 100 lbs. of meat recently, no special cuts. I didn't think about tipping until I got home.

We go there often as it's also a good bbq joint, and the owner is a good dude. I can make up the lack of a tip if I was wrong for not tipping.

ETA: the owner is the butcher, only two other people work there, running the cash register and making side dishes. So I would have tipped the owner.
I worked in a butcher shop for 10 years and no one ever tipped. We also didn't expect it all . The meatcutters' unions take good care of them. No need for you to tip.

krista4 said:

Scenario:

$50 brunch buffet (booze not included): http://saltys.com/brunch/seattle

I've been there 3 times or so over the years. I leave 20%.

Is tipping on take-out from a sit-down restaurant when I drive there to pick-up really a thing?

If so, :bag: (And I consider myself as pretty consistent and not-cheap on tips).

krista4 said:

Scenario:

Brunch >>>>>>. breakfast.

krista4 said:

Scenario:

Brunch >>>>>>. breakfast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBBPvyRzq3M

I think the general rule is if the waitress takes dishes or brings you drinks, a tip is in order. I feel for two people, $5 is fair.

I would never tip for takeout.

Why would you tip for take out?
Because I usually go to the same places all the time. I find flipping the counter person a buck results in faster service when they know it's me. I never have to wait, my order is always ready when I walk in.

As much as usual.

As much as usual.

Not at all. Not getting the logic that these people deserve a tip.

I don't go there.

They just put in a Hardee's and they bring your food to the table. I'm wondering how much these people deserve to be tipped. I used to do this job in my youth and you got virtually nothing, but every now and then someone would leave a buck or so. I didn't have any cash on me, but in the future I think I'll bring a couple bucks for this.

The person is probably making minimum wage or less, and they are performing a service for you.
Sorry, not gonna tip a person for bringing a food order from the kitchen to the front counter. That's ridiculous. If anything, I'd tip the cook, but I don't even tip them when eating there, so why would I do that on take out?
When I was younger I waited tables at a place that had a lot of to-go orders. For an order, you'd have to spend time taking the order over the phone, bag up the food, napkins, condiments, utensils, bread, etc., and then spend time closing out the check. It may not seem like that much work, but each order takes time that could have been spent on tables that actually tip.

If it's a server or bartender handling the order, I always leave at least a couple bucks. I probably wouldn't tip if it's a hostess or something like that.

What about at smoothie places / Starbucks? Nobody is waiting on you, and their products are overpriced anyways.

it is not the kind of tipping you are talking about but back in the day me and my ahole buddies would tip cows over so long story short we talk about how great it was back then but man we tipped over cows for fun that was not to great in fact it was pretty stupid so there you have it take that to the bank

The person is probably making minimum wage or less, and they are performing a service for you.
Sorry, not gonna tip a person for bringing a food order from the kitchen to the front counter. That's ridiculous. If anything, I'd tip the cook, but I don't even tip them when eating there, so why would I do that on take out?
When I was younger I waited tables at a place that had a lot of to-go orders. For an order, you'd have to spend time taking the order over the phone, bag up the food, napkins, condiments, utensils, bread, etc., and then spend time closing out the check. It may not seem like that much work, but each order takes time that could have been spent on tables that actually tip.

If it's a server or bartender handling the order, I always leave at least a couple bucks. I probably wouldn't tip if it's a hostess or something like that.
This. I bartended for years and would get stuck doing take out orders. It takes more time to package all that crap up and get it ready than it does to take it to the table. When in doubt, tip. A few bucks to a guy responsible for your food means way more to him than you.

What about at smoothie places / Starbucks? Nobody is waiting on you, and their products are overpriced anyways.
Tipping at Starbucks would be like tipping at Arbys or McDonalds...their employees are getting a higher wage than typical servers at restaurants. So I never tip them. Also never tip for a carry-out I have to call in, drive to pick up, get out of my car, drive home and then serve myself.

interesting, thanks.

Frankly I never even thought about tipping for take-out. When eating in the restaurant I figure I'm tipping partly for the waitress's time in taking our order, delivering food, refilling drinks, and hope she gives some to the busboy for cleaning our mess (four boys tends to make at least a small mess). With take-out, I call ahead and pick it up ourselves. Seems like less work.

Tipping at Starbucks would be like tipping at Arbys or McDonalds...their employees are getting a higher wage than typical servers at restaurants. So I never tip them. Also never tip for a carry-out I have to call in, drive to pick up, get out of my car, drive home and then serve myself.
I usally tip the change at Starbucks...62 cents this morning. The over-pricing isnt going to the workers and I really dont care how much they make. No, I dont tip at a fast food place and I dont view them the same.

Burger place in my town doesn't do 'tipping,' they donate all tips to a local animal shelter. I usually round up to a 5 or 0 when I get stuff there.

It's really obnoxious to not tip on takeout.
I would argue the exact opposite.
You've got the same person making about $2/hr + tips. They take your order, turn it in and bring you your food. Of course they bag it, check it and tend to any other requests you might have. They do this while attending to other customers and responsibilities. Now, they don't have to pick up after you, hence the smaller %, but they are providing a very similar service in a tip based industry. Of course tipping is never required, but it's obnoxious when people don't. Feel free to argue otherwise, but you're wrong.

It's really obnoxious to not tip on takeout.
I would argue the exact opposite.
You've got the same person making about $2/hr + tips. They take your order, turn it in and bring you your food. Of course they bag it, check it and tend to any other requests you might have. They do this while attending to other customers and responsibilities. Now, they don't have to pick up after you, hence the smaller %, but they are providing a very similar service in a tip based industry. Of course tipping is never required, but it's obnoxious when people don't. Feel free to argue otherwise, but you're wrong.
Look, I tip at sit down places because the server will go back and forth between my table and the kitchen multiple times, while checking up on me a few times in the mean time. I tip based on how they do this and how friendly/fast they are.

I will not tip a person for getting my food and bagging it (usually not even done by THEM). It would be the same as tipping a dry cleaner. Also, as far as being wrong, the non-tippers at these places outnumber the tippers above.

Why are we tipping for takeout anyway, because they "bag" the food? What if it's a takeout only place? Are we still supposed to tip? What if we saved them from delivering it?

Users who are viewing this thread