What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Torrey Smith, Retired (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Torrey Smith dropped 18.33 percent of his catchable targets last season.

Smith had the second-most drops (11) among receivers despite ranking 50th in targets (89). He was only outdone by Mohamed Sanu, who dropped 14 passes on 97 targets. We like Smith's new landing spot for the 49ers' offense, but Colin Kaepernick's shoddy accuracy isn't going to benefit Smith. Anquan Boldin should remain the go-to target in the middle of the field, on third downs, and in the red zone. Smith may be more of a decoy lid-lifter just to open up the field.

Source: Pro Football Focus

Apr 16 - 10:33 AM
I watched every snap from last year and he did not have 11 drops. I counted about 5 or 6.

I'll be the guy to take a chance on him, would love him as a WR3. He has the speed to burn corners and I'm sure we'll see more than a few bomb Touchdown passes from Colin Kaepernick.

I'm not seeing much to get excited about here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/29/qbs-in-focus-deep-passing-2/

He throws the ball a lot in the 21-30 range, but doesn't have much success. Also, he rarely throws it 30+ yards. Does not seem like a good match for Torrey. I'll avoid.
Devil's Advocate: The fastest receiver and deep threat for the team during Kap's tenure has been TE Vernon Davis. Smith is something the team has not had in years.

While I personally believe that Smith's numbers will decline in SF and I'm not thrilled as a Smith dynasty owner, there is a chance that Kap/Smith click and they payoff would be WR2ish.

I'm not seeing much to get excited about here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/29/qbs-in-focus-deep-passing-2/

He throws the ball a lot in the 21-30 range, but doesn't have much success. Also, he rarely throws it 30+ yards. Does not seem like a good match for Torrey. I'll avoid.
Devil's Advocate: The fastest receiver and deep threat for the team during Kap's tenure has been TE Vernon Davis. Smith is something the team has not had in years.

While I personally believe that Smith's numbers will decline in SF and I'm not thrilled as a Smith dynasty owner, there is a chance that Kap/Smith click and they payoff would be WR2ish.
That's a fair point. Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson, Llyod, Patton, Ellington, Jenkins - where's the deep threat there?

That's a fair point. Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson, Llyod, Patton, Ellington, Jenkins - where's the deep threat there?
Lloyd and previously Moss were supposed to be the deep threats, I'd think. Plus, Vernon Davis who got zero love last year.

Lloyd and previously Moss were supposed to be the deep threats, I'd think. Plus, Vernon Davis who got zero love last year.
Llyod and Moss were both well washed up - Lloyd was even out of football for a year - when they joined SF. Davis is a TE who looked to have lost a step (or perhaps was just misused) who was already mentioned.

I'm not advocating drafting or owning Smith, but I do think it was an interesting observation by the poster I quoted that shows that Kaep hasn't really had the benefit of a burner type WR thus far so it's a little hard to fully judge his deep ball skills.

This was going to be my question. How good Torrey Smith will do in SF is directly related to how well Kaepernick throws a deep ball. I haven't watched enough 49ers games to know.

Llyod and Moss were both well washed up - Lloyd was even out of football for a year - when they joined SF. Davis is a TE who looked to have lost a step (or perhaps was just misused) who was already mentioned.

I'm not advocating drafting or owning Smith, but I do think it was an interesting observation by the poster I quoted that shows that Kaep hasn't really had the benefit of a burner type WR thus far so it's a little hard to fully judge his deep ball skills.
If you want to make excuses for Kaep, I can't stop you, but Lloyd wasn't that old and Moss was probably still fast enough to get open deep. Who is Brady's deep threat? Or Rivers? Russell Wilson barely has any receivers at all.

Vernon Davis was mentioned, sure, but that makes him not applicable? He's definitely still a burner, but I guess we're writing him off because Kaep or the OC couldn't figure out how to get him the ball. I love how when a player has a bad year, he's suddenly washed up or lost a step. Remember when Corey Dillon was washed up until he wasn't? Randy Moss had lost a step or two in Oakland, right? Steve Smith has been considered washed up at least twice.

How do we know VD is still a burner? I didn't see it last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devil's Advocate: The fastest receiver and deep threat for the team during Kap's tenure has been TE Vernon Davis. Smith is something the team has not had in years.While I personally believe that Smith's numbers will decline in SF and I'm not thrilled as a Smith dynasty owner, there is a chance that Kap/Smith click and they payoff would be WR2ish.

If you want to make excuses for Kaep, I can't stop you, but Lloyd wasn't that old and Moss was probably still fast enough to get open deep. Who is Brady's deep threat? Or Rivers? Russell Wilson barely has any receivers at all.

Vernon Davis was mentioned, sure, but that makes him not applicable? He's definitely still a burner, but I guess we're writing him off because Kaep or the OC couldn't figure out how to get him the ball. I love how when a player has a bad year, he's suddenly washed up or lost a step. Remember when Corey Dillon was washed up until he wasn't? Randy Moss had lost a step or two in Oakland, right? Steve Smith has been considered washed up at least twice.
Most TEs age like RBs, at 31-32 they are close to the end. I'm not saying Davis is washed up but he didn't look good last year and Im not expecting a bounce back year. Willing to admit I could be wrong on that one.

Moss had been released from three teams in the same season and sat out a full season (I believe?) before SF brought him on board. Same with Llyod and for some reason no one has signed him this offseason, if you want to think saying they were washed up is making an excuse for Kaep the. That's you're prerogative. Truth be told I don't think Kaep is a great QB at all, but I base that mostly on his inability to read defenses and his lack of touch in the short passing game. I will stand by the fact that he hasn't had a deep threat at WR in the passing game since he's been there. maybe he does suck throwing deep as well - wouldn't shock me.

Tom Brady doesn't have a deep threat, that's true and guess what? He doesnt throw deep often or well. Rivers has always had a deep threat (v. Jackson and Malcolm Floyd among others). Wilson has Kearse but SEA isn't really a downfield passing attack.

Devil's Advocate: The fastest receiver and deep threat for the team during Kap's tenure has been TE Vernon Davis. Smith is something the team has not had in years.While I personally believe that Smith's numbers will decline in SF and I'm not thrilled as a Smith dynasty owner, there is a chance that Kap/Smith click and they payoff would be WR2ish.

Dude Lloyd was totally washed up like the previous poster said....he was out of football for year and even when he was at his Top form he is a back shoulder threat, not a 30-40 yard downfield take the top off the defense deep threat. Randy could've been that guy but he was old tired and washed up when he came to the 49ers. Ive watched every game, not a Kap apologist-- I'm pissed at Kap's lack of progress--but the fact is he Has not had a deep threat.

Most TEs age like RBs, at 31-32 they are close to the end. I'm not saying Davis is washed up but he didn't look good last year and Im not expecting a bounce back year. Willing to admit I could be wrong on that one.

Moss had been released from three teams in the same season and sat out a full season (I believe?) before SF brought him on board. Same with Llyod and for some reason no one has signed him this offseason, if you want to think saying they were washed up is making an excuse for Kaep the. That's you're prerogative. Truth be told I don't think Kaep is a great QB at all, but I base that mostly on his inability to read defenses and his lack of touch in the short passing game. I will stand by the fact that he hasn't had a deep threat at WR in the passing game since he's been there. maybe he does suck throwing deep as well - wouldn't shock me.

Tom Brady doesn't have a deep threat, that's true and guess what? He doesnt throw deep often or well. Rivers has always had a deep threat (v. Jackson and Malcolm Floyd among others). Wilson has Kearse but SEA isn't really a downfield passing attack.
Not just you, but there are a lot of Kaepernick apologists here. No one has signed Lloyd because he's a bit of a headcase. But how old was he last year? 33? That's really not that old for WRs and he did end up with 21 ypc so... I don't think he was the problem. Also, it's funny that Floyd is a legit deep threat for Rivers yet he's the same age as Lloyd. And we're really going to count Kearse as a legit deep threat? Just because he's the closest thing to a deep threat on that team doesn't make him legit.

You don't have to have 4.4 speed to get open 21-30 yard downfield. You don't even have to have it to get open 30+ yards downfield. It helps on go routes and certainly helps after the catch, but don't act like nobody ever gets open 30 yards down the field because they've only got one guy who can run a 4.4. Most teams only have one guy with that kind of speed. And FWIW, Vernon Davis wasn't 31-32 last year. He was 30.

Even if Kaepernick isn't the problem, they didn't go out and get a good OC. They promoted from within, so it's hard to get excited about this offense. I think anyone can see that this team is full of red flags this year, so whether you're a CK apologist or not, buying into this offense is a sketchy proposition. The only saving grace is that they should be playing from behind a lot. I don't feel comfortable betting on garbage time, though.

Even if Kaepernick isn't the problem, they didn't go out and get a good OC. They promoted from within, so it's hard to get excited about this offense. I think anyone can see that this team is full of red flags this year, so whether you're a CK apologist or not, buying into this offense is a sketchy proposition. The only saving grace is that they should be playing from behind a lot. I don't feel comfortable betting on garbage time, though.
Not buying into this offense is the safe thing to do. IMO though, there's good risk/reward that CK improves from last season and that Torrey is a good fit for him.

Rotoworld:

The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows predicts Torrey Smith will finish with under 750 receiving yards this season.

It would represent a career low for Smith, whose receiving totals in four years with Baltimore were 841, 855, 1,128, and 767. Keep in mind beat writers don't always have a great handle on the numbers side of things, but we still found this noteworthy. Torrey's current re-draft ADP is late in the eighth round.

Source: Sacramento Bee
Jun 5 - 12:49 PM

I don't think Moss caught a single bomb from Kaep during their time together, which I always though was weird because they just had Moss running straight downfield to distract the defense a good chunk of time.

According to the Sacramento Bee, Torrey Smith has been the 49ers' "most prominent pass catcher" at offseason practices.
It shouldn't be surprising in that Smith is by-far San Francisco's most accomplished wideout with guys like Bruce Ellington, Quinton Patton, DeAndre Smelter, and Eric Rogers behind him. Blaine Gabbert and Smith have hooked up on two deep touchdowns in back-to-back practices. If Smith's ADP stays in the ninth- to tenth-round range, he'll offer value pick potential in fantasy drafts.

Source: Sacramento Bee
Jun 8 - 8:44 PM

Speaking about his 2016 struggles in San Francisco's offense, Torrey Smith said "it can't be any worse than last year."
Smith has nine catches in four games, and was missed on a deep bomb in pathetic fashion by noodle-armed QB Blaine Gabbert on Sunday. "I look at it: I’m only 27 years old, I’m young, I’m still very fast. I’m still getting open.," Smith bargained. "I’ve just got to make plays when the ball comes my way, and I will." Smith desperately needs a new home, but his massive salary makes him difficult to trade. There's also the matter of the 49ers having zero receiver depth. Speaking Tuesday, Gabbert insisted he and his receiver were on the same page. Smith is miles from fantasy relevance.

Source: San Jose Mercury News

Speaking about his 2016 struggles in San Francisco's offense, Torrey Smith said "it can't be any worse than last year."
Smith has nine catches in four game
Make that nine catches in five games. And, yes, Torrey ... it can be worse than last year.

Let this be a lesson, kids!* The seven most dangerous words in fantasy draft prep are "Somebody has to catch the ball there." In reality, no ... no, they don't. See also: Cardinals 2012, Jets 2014, Rams 2015. Bad QB play can make HOF'ers into benchwarmers and middling talents like Torrey completely irrelevant. And that's exactly what's happening.

* - And by "kids", I mean "myself". Against my better judgment in this area, I drafted this turd in over half my best-ball and non-PPR leagues. When will I ever learn? :kicksrock:  

Make that nine catches in five games. And, yes, Torrey ... it can be worse than last year.

Let this be a lesson, kids!* The seven most dangerous words in fantasy draft prep are "Somebody has to catch the ball there." In reality, no ... no, they don't. See also: Cardinals 2012, Jets 2014, Rams 2015. Bad QB play can make HOF'ers into benchwarmers and middling talents like Torrey completely irrelevant. And that's exactly what's happening.

* - And by "kids", I mean "myself". Against my better judgment in this area, I drafted this turd in over half my best-ball and non-PPR leagues. When will I ever learn? :kicksrock:  
Haha, don't beat yourself up. This is one of those situations where if either extreme occurred, we could look back and say the writing was on the wall. We've obviously got the dialogue down for the bust situation which is unfolding now, but had he blown up, we'd say "The deep threat receiver is always awesome in Chip's scheme... Gabbert showed a lot of improvement in 2015... Torrey Smith is still young..."

http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/reception-perception-the-changing-variables-for-torrey-smith-point-to-a-rebound.html

https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/torrey-smith-advanced-stats-metrics-fantasy-football/

To be fair, somebody IS catching the ball,  but it's Jeremy Kerley. I too fell victim of expecting a bit of a Torrey Smith bounce back,  and I threw a future 3rd to buy him in a couple dynasty leagues.  How sad is it now that I'm actually hoping Ponder starts in order to try to revive Torrey a bit. 

What makes me the most upset is that Bruce Ellington was the 49ers WR I was most excited about, and given how Kerley has been used I think that one would have come to fruition if just for once Ellington could have stayed healthy. 

Torrey Smith is like Mike Wallace: getting deep is his thing, and if he doesn't have a QB who can sling it down field, he has no hope of being productive on a consistent basis. 

I'm assuming Kaep starting helps him. I don't think he's rostered in at least half the leagues I'm in, for good reason, but he's on the field a lot (usually sees between 85-95% of the snaps) and Kaep can push the ball down the field.

I'm assuming Kaep starting helps him. I don't think he's rostered in at least half the leagues I'm in, for good reason, but he's on the field a lot (usually sees between 85-95% of the snaps) and Kaep can push the ball down the field.
This is what I'm thinking.  Might be worth a preemptive pickup just in case he blows up with Kaep this week. 

This is what I'm thinking.  Might be worth a preemptive pickup just in case he blows up with Kaep this week. 
Definitely. Torrey leads the team in snaps and can still get open deep so if he becomes Colin "one read" Kaepernick's favorite target, he's got plenty of upside.

Definitely. Torrey leads the team in snaps and can still get open deep so if he becomes Colin "one read" Kaepernick's favorite target, he's got plenty of upside.
The funny part is, we make fun of Kaepernick and his one read, but a good chunk of Chip's offense is predicated on getting the first read open because they're playing so fast and the run game has the defense's attention.

Some idiot in my league dropped him this morning on waivers after holding him as dead weight on his roster all season with gabbert at qb.  

Now im trying to decide whether or not to blow my waiver order spot on him or wait until he clears waivers to grab him.  

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Idiot is a bit strong. 
True lol.  I only say that BC I feel like "dude you held him for 5 weeks only to drop him when kaep takes the reigns and he might have a chance?"

#BOOM.  Glad I picked him up before this week.  Sign of things to come?  Schedule looks juicy rest of the way.  Kaep seems to be playing well too. 

PFT's Mike Florio reports the Eagles and 49ers "have been discussing" a trade for Torrey Smith.
Eagles GM Howie Roseman sure loves his trades, and he's still not content with his wide receiver group. Smith's talent has been wasted since signing a five-year, $40 million deal with the 49ers before the 2015 season. He's a one-trick pony as a deep threat who has been playing with quarterbacks who can't get the ball to him. It would be great to see him get out of San Francisco before his speed leaves him. Smith is still just 27 years old. Nelson Agholor simply hasn't been cutting it with the Eagles, and it's fair to wonder if he'd be part of a potential deal. It's been made clear that Agholor was a Chip Kelly pick in Philadelphia last year.
CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco reports the 49ers are not shopping Torrey Smith.
They are, but it makes sense for the 49ers to leak they are not attempting to trade their No. 1 receiver to both drive up the price and keep from burning bridges if a deal does not go through. The Eagles have been the only team linked with Smith, but a team like the Bengals or the Steelers could have interest as well.
Eagles coach Doug Pederson said there is no legitimacy to the rumors they are interested in acquiring a wide receiver.

Obviously, Pederson could be blowing smoke up our you-know-whats, but it's worth making a note. The Eagles have been linked to Torrey Smith in recent days, and Alshon Jeffery's name has also came up in a loose "report." Smith wouldn't cost much in terms of what the Eagles would need to give up to acquire him, but his contract is an atrocity with three years left on it. The trade deadline is next Tuesday, and Eagles GM Howie Roseman has proven to be a dealer.

Something to keep an eye on for sure. He'd instantly become Philly's 2nd best receiving option and could stretch the field better than anyone on the roster. N.A. has been a bust, several critical drops (a couple walk in TDs that bounced off his oven mitts) - I see Smith much more of a likely acquisition than Jeffery.  One man's opinion. 

Slider said:
One of the most overrated WR's ever. 
He finished no worse than WR23 through his first 4 seasons in the league.  :shrug:

Nobody expects him to be a fantasy WR1, but there's no reason he couldn't sneak back into the top 24 if they find a QB. He's still in his prime at age 28. His dynasty ranking is probably in the 70's or 80's as a forgotten man.

He's the 2015-2017 version of Peerless Price. Great with Bledsoe. Take the cash with ATL. Disappear from the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread