What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Torrey Smith, Retired (2 Viewers)

He's the 2015-2017 version of Peerless Price. Great with Bledsoe. Take the cash with ATL. Disappear from the NFL.
Hah. I dunno. Hard to fully blame Peerless for ATL. That team only threw for like 2500 yards/season back then. But I think Bledsoe > Flacco and we're talking about 4 straight years of WR2 production. I was never a big Torrey fan, but I think he's a value play due to WR2 upside. Then again, I thought the same thing last year. He was cheap last year. He's even cheaper this year.

Hah. I dunno. Hard to fully blame Peerless for ATL. That team only threw for like 2500 yards/season back then. But I think Bledsoe > Flacco and we're talking about 4 straight years of WR2 production. I was never a big Torrey fan, but I think he's a value play due to WR2 upside. Then again, I thought the same thing last year. He was cheap last year. He's even cheaper this year.
What I was getting at was that both took the big $ payday and went to a much weaker team. Price was a zero after that and never recovered. Smith is working on becoming the same zero and doing one helluva job I might add.

Not a good fantasy landing spot, but a smart signing for the Eagles. Gives them what Agholor was supposed to be - a legitimate vertical threat. If Ertz and Matthews stay healthy, Torrey targets will be limited. Also, I don't know much about Wentz's deep ball. That will be critical.

After enduring two seasons in San Francisco, Torrey Smith lands in Philadelphia

Excerpt:

Dragged down by the slop that was San Francisco’s QB situation, Smith managed just 53 combined catches in 2015–16. But somehow, he lead the league in yards per reception during his first year with the 49ers, posting a 20.1 mark.

That deep ability always has been his M.O.—before arriving in the Bay area, he averaged nearly 900 yards per year and caught 30 TDs during four seasons in Baltimore, as Joe Flacco’s downfield safety net. Those stats are on top of the plethora of pass interference flags Smith drew.

Smith’s flop in San Francisco played right into Philadelphia’s hands this off-season. The Eagles could be looking to add multiple receivers in the coming months, but at the top of that list was someone capable of stretching the field vertically. Among the players with double-digit catches for the Eagles last year, none averaged better than 11.0 yards.

The inability to hit over the top made life harder on QB Carson Wentz, as well as on his intermediate options like TE Zach Ertz and WR Jordan Matthews. Smith forces defenses to account for him on the outside, often with safety help over the top, which in turn should clear space for those other targets.

Wentz entered the NFL gifted with the arm to drive the ball downfield, he just didn’t have anyone he could rely on to go get those passes last season. He does now, provided Smith is still capable of being the player he was prior to his ill-fated San Francisco stop.

ESPN Eagles reporter Tim McManus put Torrey Smith's over/under at 47 catches for 820 yards and six touchdowns.

If Jordan Matthews remains with the team, we will take the under on all three. With Alshon Jeffery, Matthews, and Zach Ertz all likely to earn large target shares, there is not much left for Smith even without considering Darren Sproles' role, and Carson Wentz is unlikely to attempt 600 passes again after coach Doug Pederson expressed concern about last year's run/pass split. Smith adds an important element to the Eagles' passing attack, but he won't see enough usage to be a fantasy factor.

Source: ESPN 
May 27 - 12:14 PM

No word on this guy. I see he's listed as a starting Wide Receiver in the Panthers' depth chart. Seems like he could have sneaky value. I could see Cam Newton hurling the ball at this guy and him making plays.

Free agent WR Torrey Smith has announced his retirement after eight NFL seasons.

Smith went to training camp with the Panthers this summer but didn't make their final 53. One of the better deep threats in football during his prime, Smith will finish his career with 319 catches for 5,141 yards and 41 touchdowns over 119 games between Baltimore, San Francisco, Philadelphia and Carolina. The 30-year-old Maryland alum won two Super Bowl rings (one each with Baltimore and Philadelphia) and also cleared 1,000 yards receiving during his breakout 2013. Smith had been on the decline for some time and likely saw the writing on the wall after being let go by Carolina this summer. You can hear Smith's retirement statement by clicking the link below.

RELATED: 

Philadelphia Eagles

, San Francisco 49ers

, Carolina Panthers

, Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Torrey Smith on Twitter

Sep 13, 2019, 9:49 AM ET

I always liked this guy - feel like he could have been something special had he landed in the right situation. Had he landed with the Pats, Steelers, Packers, Chiefs, etc  - any of those teams seem like they could have taken more advantage of his deep threat ability than the QBs he was paired with in Flacco, A.Smith, etc. 

Or maybe I overrated him & he just wasn’t much more than a deep threat. I concede that’s possible. 

Regardless, he was a heck of a good dude off the field. The story about paying pet adoption fees won him a place in my heart forever. That’s good dude stuff right there for sure. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread