What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What fireworks do you buy? (1 Viewer)

Payne

Footballguy
Usually I just pick up an assortment pack at a local store or stand.

Last year my girls were bored and my plan was to increase the budget this year and give them a 4th to remember.

Being in SE Michigan, Phantom Fireworks, TNT and Pro Fireworks seem to be the choices.

I've read Phantom is overpriced. But they do have some attractive coupons as well as buy 1, get 1 free.

Looking to get a normal stuff for starters. Sparklers, snaps, small fountains, you know the drill.

Then get some larger fountains, roman candles, mortar kits and a repeater for a finale.

Any suggestions?

Mortars are about the only thing I'll really spend much money on.

One of my buddies had some Excalibur mortars last 4th of July, which are awesome, and supposed to be one of the best. When I went, they were sold out of them, so I went with "Unleash the Beast" mortars, which are also good. You can usually tell by the size of the shell which are more powerful.

I don't buy them. There are enough knuckleheads in my neighborhood already setting these things off. I don't know if they have relaxed the laws or whatever, but some of these are beyond the stuff of my era. You know....spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker du's , hoosker dont's, cherry bombs, nipsey daisers (with or without scooter stick), and whistlin' kitty chasers.

I don't buy much except for the smaller stuff like bottle rockets, the basic fire cracker, and anything else that looks interesting on a small scale. That's because I live in NJ and all fireworks, including sparklers (yes, sparklers) are illegal.

They are also illegal it use in PA, but its NOT illegal to sell fireworks to out of state residents. I live just a few miles from Delaware River which is the NJ/PA border and smartly several fireworks stores have opened right along the river. I can legally go across the river and buy them, but I can't transport them back to my house according to the law. When you buy them, they are required to verify I'm not a PA resident so they make a photo copy of my driver's license and keep it on file stapled to a copy of my receipt. So the 1st time I bought, I kept waiting to get a fine from NJ afraid the info would be shared with NJ.

:loco:

A few bricks of firecrackers, bottle rockets out the ###, pinwheels, roman candles, put them all together in a cardboard house on stilts and light it up. Run for cover.

D in the D, on 19 Jun 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:I don't buy them. There are enough knuckleheads in my neighborhood already setting these things off. I don't know if they have relaxed the laws or whatever, but some of these are beyond the stuff of my era. You know....spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker du's , hoosker dont's, cherry bombs, nipsey daisers (with or without scooter stick), and whistlin' kitty chasers.
Just snakes and sparklers here.

I just remember a few 4th of July nights like they were yesterday and it was because of some cool fireworks over the water.

Trying to give my kids those same memories and thought maybe somebody had some good recommendations or ones to avoid.

But maybe not.

D in the D, on 19 Jun 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:I don't buy them. There are enough knuckleheads in my neighborhood already setting these things off. I don't know if they have relaxed the laws or whatever, but some of these are beyond the stuff of my era. You know....spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker du's , hoosker dont's, cherry bombs, nipsey daisers (with or without scooter stick), and whistlin' kitty chasers.
Well that might be your problem, it's not what you like, it's the consumer.

I serve a big heaping bowl of baked beans at the family barbecue,by nightfall there's no need to waste money on fireworks,especially if

someone sits a little close to the firepit! :X

Last edited by a moderator:
One gross small whistlers to **** around with, a couple midsiZe rocket assortments, some sparklers and as many mortars you care to buy.

The year we went "big" we would have 4 stations with each shooting 1 mortar and 3 midsize rockets. 4 mortars and 12 midsize rockets going off within 4-5 seconds is pretty entertaining.

At LEAST get an aim n flame lighter of not some sort of torch to make sure lighting stuff is easy/efficient.

I have lived in Colorado all my life and fireworks have always been illegal. What is weird is every year the firework stands just selling fountains and ground items pop up all around here. You can buy and possess these items, but you can't use them. I have always found that law strange.

Why even allow them to be sold in the first place if you can't use them?

None, it's bad enough the neighbors spend 3 weeks lighting crap off at all hours. Someone was shooting some crap off Wed night at like 3 am.

Buying fireworks is the closest thing to setting money on fire. With that being said, I love fireworks. Some of my best memories are from fourth of july's. My dad used to take us across state lines every summer to purchase fireworks. me and my little brother would then spend the next few weeks disassembling packs of firecrackers and lighting them off one by one, breaking the stems off of bottle rockets, splitting open firecrackers and making "m-80's" etc... But we always saved the big stuff for the 4th.

Nowadays I prefer to get mortars and half sticks. No better crowd pleaser than blowing up watermelons with half sticks.

Mortars are about the only thing I'll really spend much money on.

One of my buddies had some Excalibur mortars last 4th of July, which are awesome, and supposed to be one of the best. When I went, they were sold out of them, so I went with "Unleash the Beast" mortars, which are also good. You can usually tell by the size of the shell which are more powerful.
:goodposting:

Me and my ex used to throw killer 4th parties, every year we'd spend about $800-$1000 on mortars and big boom fireworks. We lived in a cul-de-sac and it was always a huge bash, lots of food, drinks, music, etc..

The last one was about 5 years ago. I miss those parties. I don't buy fireworks anymore.

I dropped over $400 this year as we're having a larger party than usual and it's my youngest son's birthday. Last year was the first year I went bigger with "real" fireworks and spent over $200. Everyone loved it. 

This year will be absolutely insane. The people across the lake don't stand a chance. I hope they up their games too because it's fun to see what others have. One guy on our lake used to be a pyrotechnic so he went big for a while but seems to have dropped off. 

I haven't bought anything for several years, but I decided to this year.  I bought some snakes this year...they are not as cool as I remembered them being when I was young.   I also bought some M-80's...they too are a disappointment.  Maybe my memories from youth are overblown, but the Thunder Bomb firecrackers I bought seem just as loud.   :(

Also picked up some basic bottle rockets, sparklers, roman candles, bees, flowers, and some Saturn missiles...pretty low key stuff.

None

Even "safe and sane" California fireworks are too much of a hazard here.  I'd rather watch a professional display than a bunch of rubes in the cul de sac.

I have lived in Colorado all my life and fireworks have always been illegal. What is weird is every year the firework stands just selling fountains and ground items pop up all around here. You can buy and possess these items, but you can't use them. I have always found that law strange.

Why even allow them to be sold in the first place if you can't use them?
The laws are all messed up and full of loopholes.  In Ohio, you have to sign a statement when you buy them saying you are taking them out of state within 48 hours of purchasing them.

I think there should be a 50 question history/civics test before you're allowed to buy even a single sparkler.

Learned recently that in PA, they can sell fireworks but PA residents can't buy them.  In NJ, you can't sell them but NJ residents can go into PA and buy them.  It makes a lot of sense.

My brother buys like $1.5k worth of the stuff.  Its a nice little show, but nowhere near as nice as the town show.   I just don't understand dropping that type of coin.

Learned recently that in PA, they can sell fireworks but PA residents can't buy them.  In NJ, you can't sell them but NJ residents can go into PA and buy them.  It makes a lot of sense.

My brother buys like $1.5k worth of the stuff.  Its a nice little show, but nowhere near as nice as the town show.   I just don't understand dropping that type of coin.
I guess your dad didn't do a good enough job teaching you guys about finances after all :moneybag: :excited: :moneybag:   :deadhorse:

I'm a rocket man. Plus there is a juiced up version of jumping jacks. Love to throw them but you never know where they're gonna go. Better be out in the open and put the kids to bed. 

Use to have a huge 4th family bash every year, and send up anywhere between 250-400 mortars, plus cakes, and some high powered roman candles that we put in a fan rack that were awesome. Had three people lighting and it still took over half an hour.

I believe a 50 gram shell is the largest you can purchase without a license. That said we always had a few 2.5" mortars, and a 4" every now and then find its way to the party. 

For me Excalibur was the best legal purchase, hands down. Every shell in the box is 50 gram. Big black box with a fancy sword. Lots of fun. There's another one that looks similar (called eliminator maybe?) but doesn't carry the same variety IMO. Still excellent shells. IMO look for boxes that state they are all 50G shells. There really aren't that many. If you are looking to make the dollar stretch look into multi-break shells. The displays aren;t as big or as high, but they add to the 'ooh' and 'aah' factor.

For cakes, I believe the limit is 500 grams, regardless of how many shots. Keep that in mind when you're staring at the wall of cakes and trying to decide. I don't remember the names of many but I always loved American trucker. Fan display with a good kick at the end. There a raging rooster or something like that which is good as well (9 shot IIRC). 

Saw lock and Load mentioned which is another good one. Also if you can find shells called mines, those are a fun twist. 

If you are doing mortars be careful how many times you use a tube. I was using HDPE tubes and it got stuck because the tube was too hot and went off in the tube less than ten foot away from me. I got VERY lucky with only minor burns and ears ringing. Still have the tube as a reminder. 

Was like a ####### war zone around my house last night.  For a good 30-40 minutes at about 10pm if you stood in my driveway there were huge booms going off in every direction.  A couple directions sounded like legit fireworks shows on the lake, and about 9-10 others were some locals.  For about about 2 hours surrounding that time span there were local booms going off in several directions.  All big stuff, too.  Some of which I could see, most I couldn't.  Was awesome. 

I think that 800 million dollar projection regarding fireworks purchases this year was a bit light. 

I buy an assortment but set them off on New Year's Eve when it is safer to do so.

All the redneck dip####s are firing them off right now, it's like ####### Beirut out there. :getoffmylawn:

Users who are viewing this thread