What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rotoworld Boycot in the SP? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdnoynek

Footballguy
Anyone else tired of the sensationalist "analysis" of Rotoworld?

I'll concede it's an easy way to get your NFL news but their input always seems so extreme and reactionary... If we kept track of what they're saying now and bring it back next year they're not doing anyone any favors right now. I think the SP is better than that. It would do everyone a favor if we posted the actual articles with actual report rather than the regurgitated hype bull#### they continue to "report".

BOYCOT'D.

I think that with any news source there is inherent risk in getting potentially sucked into their opinions on said news. Luckily when it comes to something like fantasy, you can make your own opinions based on just the news alone. If you find yourself disagreeing with any of rotoworld's opinions of the NFL news, perhaps that is just giving you some more clarity as to your own opinions on things. Like you said, it is a very easy way to get your news so I'm not so sure it is best to ignore what could be a potentially valuable resource when used properly.

I agree about the hype aspect of Rotoworld.

One great example is the rookie LB from Dallas, Anthony Hitchens. Before Sean Lee got hurt, Rotoworld said he wasn't a good pick by the team and would be lucky to be a part-time player and special teamer at best. The same day Lee got hurt, they put up how he could easily be the man to take over Lee's spot and that he was a must watch.

So the dude went from being a sub-package guy at best, to a potential stud that should be drafted in all formats. :doh:

I'm engaged in more of a personal boycott of ProFootballTalk.com than Rotoworld. But I've reached the point to where it's just FBG and the Shark Pool that I take my information from.

I use Rotoworld mainly for the news and some of Silva's stuff. The blurbs they have after the news articles often seem to contradict some of the other things you read on their site.

drunken slob said:
I agree about the hype aspect of Rotoworld.

One great example is the rookie LB from Dallas, Anthony Hitchens. Before Sean Lee got hurt, Rotoworld said he wasn't a good pick by the team and would be lucky to be a part-time player and special teamer at best. The same day Lee got hurt, they put up how he could easily be the man to take over Lee's spot and that he was a must watch.

So the dude went from being a sub-package guy at best, to a potential stud that should be drafted in all formats. :doh:

I'm engaged in more of a personal boycott of ProFootballTalk.com than Rotoworld. But I've reached the point to where it's just FBG and the Shark Pool that I take my information from.
This isn't even that bad by Rotoworld standards. This one I can actually understand cause Hitchens isn't actually much of a talent. He may simply belly flop into a situation that provides him with LB2 numbers in IDP. But he's unlikely to be a long term solution in the middle.

I've seen some seriously awful ones, even worse than this all this offseason. Their opinions on stuff are almost never forward thinking. They also seem to randomly just pull dates out of their ###... like there was a report on Carr pushing for the starting job and they made the statement "There's a chance Carr starts but it probably won't be before October"... where the hell are you getting October from?

But my biggest issue is when they speak in non-absolute absolutes:

Kelvin Benjamin will spend the four weeks before training camp in Charlotte with Cam Newton.
Benjamin isn't going to bolt during the dead spot in the NFL's calendar. He'll stick around and get work in with his starting quarterback, which can only be a good thing for such a raw rookie. The 6-foot-5 Benjamin is penned in as an every-down player right away, but projects as a touchdown-dependent WR4 in fantasy. The passing offense is not going to be prolific.
Neither of these things are as certain as they make them sound. They could say "We project him as a TD dependent WR4 with upside. But we don't envision this passing offense being prolific" but instead they write things to sound like God's Gospel. This has always been my huge issue with them.

MattFancy said:
I use Rotoworld mainly for the news and some of Silva's stuff. The blurbs they have after the news articles often seem to contradict some of the other things you read on their site.
More or less what I do, they're unfortunately one of the better laid out fantasy news sites. I try to just laugh off and ignore their blue text that isn't in quotes.

Boycott rotoworld? You are on your own fella. They bring up the the minute updates from all over the league. The kind of fast breaking info that you absolutely need to get a jump on the waiver wires or resort your draft order or auction value last minute. If you don't want to read the blue font, that's fine. It's mostly speculation anyway. But the website is incredibly valuable to fantasy football owners.

SP >>>>> Rotoworld.

I prefer to mesh different takes from knowledgeable hobbyist instead of reading some elitist blow-hard spout.

The tone at Rotoworld bugs me to no end. Opinions get presented as fact. Their all knowing take deserves no criticism - they write as if one who disagrees belongs on death row for stupidity. Rotoworld behaves like a fantasy authority figure. This anarchist wants nothing to do with it.

Drew Brees (illness) was listed on the Saints' official injury report on Thursday but should be ready for Sunday's game.

Here we go again. Call it the "Nyquil curse" but ever since Brees signed that endorsement deal he can't seem to stay healthy. He can be safely dropped in most formats.

Rotoworld is the worst for information and the best for a site who tries to write opinions to validate their own player rankings.

They are worse than that owner in your league who tries to make everything spin his way.

The way they pump Christine Michael and Joique Bell and hate on others like Wallace and Randle early in the spring, to only change their tune once they realize they cant talk negatively about their situation any more. Typical of a personw ith little knowledge, yet this site gets away with it.

They are the new Fanball. They posted the Marshawn might retire post as if they had inside info he might do so without any regards for the fact it was a nothing story because they wanted that Michael hype to soar, only for Lynch to show up at Minicamp. lol.

Boycott rotoworld? You are on your own fella. They bring up the the minute updates from all over the league. The kind of fast breaking info that you absolutely need to get a jump on the waiver wires or resort your draft order or auction value last minute. If you don't want to read the blue font, that's fine. It's mostly speculation anyway. But the website is incredibly valuable to fantasy football owners.
I'm going to have to stop you there... They provide very little info and a lot of rhetoric. They provide every tweet someone says with their opinion if it helps validate their player rankings.

I notice a lot of people in my league who quote or follow Rotoworld religiously always pick early in next years draft, so..... Yeah it is valuable for owners OK, the owners you play against that dont treat it like a bible.

werdnoynek said:

I'll concede it's an easy way to get your NFL news but their input always seems so extreme and reactionary... If we kept track of what they're saying now and bring it back next year they're not doing anyone any favors right now. I think the SP is better than that. It would do everyone a favor if we posted the actual articles with actual report rather than the regurgitated hype bull#### they continue to "report".

BOYCOT'D.
I read the actual news part, and take their analysis with a grain of salt.

They certainly have their bias and over-use lazy terms (i.e. every big back that they don't like is "a plodder").

Honestly though I don't let it bother me because I think I'm experienced enough to see through the fluff, bias, sensationalism and hypocrisy - and honestly that stuff creeps into almost every fantasy news site.

werdnoynek said:

BOYCOT'D.
Their reporting on EJ Manuel is so terribly biased. They constantly remind people that they have never been high on Manuel. They have to hammer the point home in every blurb. Their expectations are way too high for a rookie QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a bit buzzed up last night going through the latest news, on Rotoworld, and got a bit bothered... as usual. I look at it as a necessary evil and completely agree they have some of the most up to the minute, breaking NFL/Fantasy news out there but some of the stuff they put their spin on is absolutely ridiculous. I try to ignore their "thoughts" but unfortunately, continue to read it. As we've seen in Hard Knocks, even some GM's use their news feed!!

One alternative I've found is Sport Spyder with their NFL latest news seems to have the same info but just the articles. They have a nice interface for searching for specific player news, etc, but it's a bit more difficult to weed through.

This was definitely a rant / vent post, but I'm happy to see I'm not alone!

MattFancy said:
Not surprising since "Rotoworld" isn't really a monolith so much as a collection of different guys with their own opinions all posting under the "Rotoworld" name.

Personally, I view Rotoworld's opinions and analysis as a value add. They're not perfect, but I like that they hire smart guys and empower them to actually have opinions instead of just reporting fact. The fact is there if that's all you want, and you're certainly free to disagree, but I don't really see a whole lot of difference between what they're doing over there and what we're doing here with our fantasy projections, other than in the presentation.

MattFancy said:
Not surprising since "Rotoworld" isn't really a monolith so much as a collection of different guys with their own opinions all posting under the "Rotoworld" name.

Personally, I view Rotoworld's opinions and analysis as a value add. They're not perfect, but I like that they hire smart guys and empower them to actually have opinions instead of just reporting fact. The fact is there if that's all you want, and you're certainly free to disagree, but I don't really see a whole lot of difference between what they're doing over there and what we're doing here with our fantasy projections, other than in the presentation.
I think it would clear some things up if they would say who posted the blurb after the news info. I personally check Rotoworld often throughout the day, especially during the season. I was able to snatch up Keenan Allen in all my leagues last year due to them. Although, alot of the info here in the Shark Pool is just as helpful, if not more.

I can see merits in both sides of the argument. I know for me, they aggregate a ton of information from across the web, and their "quick hits" are easy to repost, especially since I don't always have access to my laptop (iPad and wifi). I do try to post the articles directly more often now, but I do also enjoy that their biased commentary draws a debate on these boards, as I gain a lot of insight from the FF knowledge that is present here.

Their commentary often leaves a lot to be desired; however, any FF GM who doesn't click on the links and formulates their own opinions almost gets what they deserve, if they place too much stock in the biased commentary. Justin Hunter is a great example, as I still acquired him last year, despite another league member telling me that I was making a HUGE mistake based off what they had seen on Rotoworld.

With information being so readily available to all owners I think Rotoworld's blurbs are one of the last inefficiencies out there that can seperate those that stay up on news and those that swoop in every few weeks.

A discerning reader can cut through the BS in the blurb and take from it what is important and disregard what may be a biased opinion.

I would never boycott Rotoworld though.

MattFancy said:

I think it would clear some things up if they would say who posted the blurb after the news info. I personally check Rotoworld often throughout the day, especially during the season. I was able to snatch up Keenan Allen in all my leagues last year due to them. Although, alot of the info here in the Shark Pool is just as helpful, if not more.
I agree that Rotoworld would get a lot less flak if things were labeled as "Matt's take" instead of "Rotoworld's take". At the same time, I can see why from a business standpoint they want everything under the "Rotoworld brand". Chris Wesseling broke into covering football manning the Rotoworld newswire. He wrote a ton of those takes over the years. When Wesseling moves on to NFL ATL, though, the guys who read and enjoyed his takes don't follow the "Chris Wesseling brand" to ATL, they stick with the "Rotoworld brand" and whoever else Rotoworld gets to replace him.

To some extent, I think that's comforting. Guys who cover football move around a lot from one competitor to another. Some are better than others. Instead of tracking individual guys (and limiting myself just to those issues they happen to have a take on), I can just check out Rotoworld knowing that everyone who works there has been vetted and given the Rotoworld Seal Of Approval.

They're not the final word on everything, but I think they're a pretty good place to start. Like I said, they may not be perfect, but I do think they're a value add.

MattFancy said:

I agree that Rotoworld would get a lot less flak if things were labeled as "Matt's take" instead of "Rotoworld's take". At the same time, I can see why from a business standpoint they want everything under the "Rotoworld brand". Chris Wesseling broke into covering football manning the Rotoworld newswire. He wrote a ton of those takes over the years. When Wesseling moves on to NFL ATL, though, the guys who read and enjoyed his takes don't follow the "Chris Wesseling brand" to ATL, they stick with the "Rotoworld brand" and whoever else Rotoworld gets to replace him.

To some extent, I think that's comforting. Guys who cover football move around a lot from one competitor to another. Some are better than others. Instead of tracking individual guys (and limiting myself just to those issues they happen to have a take on), I can just check out Rotoworld knowing that everyone who works there has been vetted and given the Rotoworld Seal Of Approval.

They're not the final word on everything, but I think they're a pretty good place to start. Like I said, they may not be perfect, but I do think they're a value add.
That does make sense. Though you still can get the individual stuff from there like Silva's rankings and stuff like that during the season/offseason. Like I said, I frequent Rotoworld often, I just don't always but a ton of stock into their take on the news articles. Some I agree with and some I don't. I think the good fantasy players see the news items and come up with their own conclusions. To me, that's what is most important.

That does make sense. Though you still can get the individual stuff from there like Silva's rankings and stuff like that during the season/offseason. Like I said, I frequent Rotoworld often, I just don't always but a ton of stock into their take on the news articles. Some I agree with and some I don't. I think the good fantasy players see the news items and come up with their own conclusions. To me, that's what is most important.
Agreed. I wouldn't expect everyone to automatically agree with all of my takes, either. My goal when providing analysis is simply to give the reader something to consider and accept or reject for themselves.

Do people think it got worse after Wess left?
I think Greg Rosenthal was probably more important than Wess and his leaving had a bigger impact. And yeah, I think it'd be pretty much impossible for any organization to lose that much talent at once without suffering a hit. Not meant as a criticism of Rotoworld, but those guys are among the best in the business, and I'm sure the remaining Rotoworld crew would be among the first to agree.

I still think that Rotoworld is good at finding and vetting quality guys, though. It's like Apple after Steve Jobs. You can't replace him, but that doesn't mean everything immediately goes to hell.

werdnoynek said:

BOYCOT'D.
I read the actual news part, and take their analysis with a grain of salt.

They certainly have their bias and over-use lazy terms (i.e. every big back that they don't like is "a plodder").

Honestly though I don't let it bother me because I think I'm experienced enough to see through the fluff, bias, sensationalism and hypocrisy - and honestly that stuff creeps into almost every fantasy news site.
Couldn't have put it better...I don't know why anyone would get so hot and bothered by Rotoworld...take it for what it is.

I like their news and think they do a nice job with the rankings, but YMMV. Not sure how anyone can say they don't give news though, they do a nice job of aggregating all of the player updates.

Their opinion blurbs are way over the top and I often disagree, but I don't really see a need to get upset over it. They are a fantasy site and are trying to give actionable fantasy advice that differentiates it from an NFL news aggregator like PFT.

Im the Mike Curtis of this strike. Excuse me while I go talk Faust off the ledge.

I recommend that you try to learn what sources your league members use, as this helps to make them far more predictable in knowing which players they are high on, and which players they will avoid.

The views on Mike Wallace last year and this year should tell you a lot for example.

The blurbs are very opinionated and the takes are slow to change...for instance they were still pushing Lamar Miller later into last year (and still are now), and were still bashing Blount even when he did well and despite PFF's grades linking him, even though they seem to defer to PFF's evaluations regularly. Still, I would say just take it with a grain of salt and use the news, or just ignore it altogether. You'll have a tough time on the internet if differing opinions are upsetting, and those opinions are the main point behind fantasy sports anyways.

I'm not even sure what it was I read last night that didn't sit with me well... It's clear many of us, including myself, would be somewhat lost without Rotoworld's news tracker. It's the quickest and easiest way to get up to date news on specific players with a fantasy slant.

Boycott is a strong word/reaction... It would be nice if they could tone down the sensationalism a bit but I'm not holding my breath.

The drunken, one man boycott has been lifted. Carry on!

I'm not even sure what it was I read last night that didn't sit with me well... It's clear many of us, including myself, would be somewhat lost without Rotoworld's news tracker. It's the quickest and easiest way to get up to date news on specific players with a fantasy slant.

Boycott is a strong word/reaction... It would be nice if they could tone down the sensationalism a bit but I'm not holding my breath.

Incorrect. Twitter is the quickest and easiest way. Rotoworld gets all of its info from Twitter like everyone else, they just through their bias opinion on top of it when they post someone elses words to their site..

I actually like reading the Rotoworld "spin" and then comparing it to the spin put on the same news item the following day in Joe's email update. Often times it lines up, sometimes it doesn't.

Usually FBGs take a much more middle of the road "consensus" view while Roto is quick to put their own point of view forward.

werdnoynek said:

BOYCOT'D.
This post is more sensational than anything on rotoworld

Incorrect. Twitter is the quickest and easiest way. Rotoworld gets all of its info from Twitter like everyone else, they just through their bias opinion on top of it when they post someone elses words to their site..
Hi guys,

I frequently use Rotoworld to maintain an edge on the waiver wire over my league mates. This year I plan to also use twitter, can you guys suggest anyone to follow? Thanks in advance.

The rotodudes got to him.....

Hi guys,

I frequently use Rotoworld to maintain an edge on the waiver wire over my league mates. This year I plan to also use twitter, can you guys suggest anyone to follow? Thanks in advance.
You looking for a big list, or a small list? If you really want to keep your timeline from getting cluttered and out of control, you can just follow Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter). He'll wind up retweeting or relaying almost all of the relevant information you need.

If you're looking for analysis as well, I can make plenty of recommendations. It really depends on what you want Twitter to be for you- whether you want just a small handful of key must-follows, or you want a full 1,000-name list to deluge you with every possible bit of fantasy analysis from every possible angle. Following 5 people will produce a dramatically different experience than following 500. Personally, I find the sweet spot for me to be somewhere in the 30-50 people range- it's enough where my timeline keeps moving and I get plenty of information, but not so much that I feel like if I step away from Twitter for a couple of hours I fall hopelessly behind with no chance of catching back up.

Hi guys,

Adam Schefter of ESPN keeps on top of things pretty well. Sometimes he has the breaking news before Rotoworld.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

You all know you don't have to read the analysis right?
This.

I mean its a different freakin' color for crying out loud. Couldn't be any easier to avoid if you don't find it beneficial.
:goodposting:

They don't charge you to use it. I guess some people complain for the sake of complaining. In the new fantasy world everyone must tell you who to draft and be exactly right or some people are not happy. Here's a thought......

HAVE YOUR OWN OPINION!

Anyone with a critical mind can analyze and see through rotoworld's BS. Everyone in my league uses rotoworld including myself. So when I disagree with rortoworlds analysis this creates an opportunity to potentially trade with my league mates. You can use that information to you're advantage. It would be foolish to boycott.

I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn’t believe anything.

werdnoynek said:

BOYCOT'D.
It seems to me that they believe if you're talking about their site, then you're talking about their site.

Is it PC or the right way to run things? IDK but they're quite successful so...

Hey Guys. I know this is gray area but let's not do this. I don't want the Shark Pool to be a place where we rip (or hype) other sites. In a public forum, it's just too easy to tear down other sites. Or come in here and hype them up. I think our best course is to keep the talk here to what we do.

I'll also be honest and say I'm a fan of the Rotoworld guys. I think they do an excellent job with things. But for the most part here, let's keep it to Footballguys.

Thanks.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread