What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ethical question about my realtor (1 Viewer)

ComfortablyNumb

Footballguy
I'm moving from Ohio to Utah in July and took a house hunting visit there last week. I had contacted a realtor about 8 weeks ago and she's been sending me listings to check out via an automated MLS website. She spent three full, long days last week driving me around and showing me LOTS of houses.

On my last day there, I went through a FSBO I'd found online without any involvement from her. Loved the house, made an offer directly to owner, and we reached an agreement last night for me to buy it, all with zero involvement from the realtor.

Should I have any ethical or moral obligation to compensate her for her time and assistance in showing me the area? If so, how or how much?

Maybe give her a nice bottle of wine or something. Some kind of thank you gift would be good form—I'm thinking $50-100 range. But you don't owe her any actual cash money.

If you signed an exclusive agreement, you might. Otherwise, no.

That's part of the job of being a realtor. They only sign contracts on a fraction of clients they work with.

Maybe give her a nice bottle of wine or something. Some kind of thank you gift would be good form—I'm thinking $50-100 range. But you don't owe her any actual cash money.
:goodposting:

A family friend spent half the day last Saturday showing me places available for rent, and did work for me researching rentals. I wasn't thrilled with any of them based on price/aesthetics, and he recommended calling a complex that doesn't work with realtors on my own. I'm signing a lease at this place pending background checks, etc., and will be sending him a thank you card and a $100 gift card for him and his wife to get dinner on me.

I feel like it's a classy way of saying Thank You, especially since his work didn't yield a commission from me/could have been used on someone else that could've possibly yielded a commission for him.

I'm moving from Ohio to Utah in July and took a house hunting visit there last week. I had contacted a realtor about 8 weeks ago and she's been sending me listings to check out via an automated MLS website. She spent three full, long days last week driving me around and showing me LOTS of houses.

On my last day there, I went through a FSBO I'd found online without any involvement from her. Loved the house, made an offer directly to owner, and we reached an agreement last night for me to buy it, all with zero involvement from the realtor.

Should I have any ethical or moral obligation to compensate her for her time and assistance in showing me the area? If so, how or how much?
No. This is why being a realtor sucks.

A family friend spent half the day last Saturday showing me places available for rent, and did work for me researching rentals. I wasn't thrilled with any of them based on price/aesthetics, and he recommended calling a complex that doesn't work with realtors on my own. I'm signing a lease at this place pending background checks, etc., and will be sending him a thank you card and a $100 gift card for him and his wife to get dinner on me.

I feel like it's a classy way of saying Thank You, especially since his work didn't yield a commission from me/could have been used on someone else that could've possibly yielded a commission for him.
I agree with this. If you liked the realtor and felt that she helped educate you about the area, that was worth something to you. Personally, I'd go at least $100 if you want to save face.

I agree with this. If you liked the realtor and felt that she helped educate you about the area, that was worth something to you. Personally, I'd go at least $100 if you want to save face.
In my dealings with dozens of realtors, I have found giving a realtor anything short of the full 3% commission is an insult. A bottle of wine or $100 is not even going to come close to making the typical realtor happy. If your goal is to make them happy, you will fail. If your goal is to clear your conscience, give a $200 gift certificate to a very nice resturant. If that does not make them happy, oh well.

Agree with all this... I worked with a realtor for a couple months last year and wasn't able to finalize anything. Wife sent him a gift basket during the holidays as a thank you.

On the plus side, he did let us know he was able to sell one of the houses we walked through to another buyer because he had seen the layout and knew it fit their specs.

Agree with all this... I worked with a realtor for a couple months last year and wasn't able to finalize anything. Wife sent him a gift basket during the holidays as a thank you.

On the plus side, he did let us know he was able to sell one of the houses we walked through to another buyer because he had seen the layout and knew it fit their specs.
He send you anything?

I feel a small gift would be appropriate here. When I bought my house, we actually found the listing, but I worked with a realtor I knew to help hammer out the details of the contract, and he got a commission on the sale.

He send you anything?
His company's yearly calendar.

Go with your gut. Starting the thread probably indicates you feel some level of appreciation is warranted.

3 days of driving you around?

I throw her a couple hundred. You saved way more than that without paying a realtor fee.

I throw her a couple hundred. You saved way more than that without paying a realtor fee.

Would definitely do this. Assuming two crisp Benjamins won't break you, being classy, regardless of what you technically owe (which is nothing), is never a bad thing. Plus, you will forever have a solid contact in the real estate biz.

Thanks for the good suggestions. Even though I didn't sign any agreement with her and worked with her in good faith, I do feel the need to show her some appreciation for her time. Nothing near her would-be $8K commission of course, but something. Plus, she's very nice and kinda hot.

Mad Cow - I'm moving to So Weber, north of SLC.

Thanks for the good suggestions. Even though I didn't sign any agreement with her and worked with her in good faith, I do feel the need to show her some appreciation for her time. Nothing near her would-be $8K commission of course, but something. Plus, she's very nice and kinda hot.

Wow. No kidding!

Would definitely do this. Assuming two crisp Benjamins won't break you, being classy, regardless of what you technically owe (which is nothing), is never a bad thing. Plus, you will forever have a solid contact in the real estate biz.
If hes buying a house in a posh state like utah im sure he can throw her a couple benji's

Your thread title and what you are looking for are two different things. Ethically, you owe her nothing. Conscientiously, I agree with something in the $100-$200 range. Tons of realtors spend time trying to sell houses and it doesn't pan out for a myriad of reasons. It's part of the business.

A little far north, but not bad. I am down in Saratoga Springs. There are a few of us here.

As noted above, realtor fees come off the seller's end, so technically you would never have owed her anything, she would be collecting off of the fees built into the sale price.

It's one of the reasons I don't understand why so many people are reluctant to use a realtor when looking for a place (I can understand a bit on the seller end if they want to save on fees, but even then, most FSBO folks would be wel lserved to note that a buyers agent is protected and would get some commission for bringing buyers). As a buyer, you are essentially leveraging the knowledge of an expert in the industry/area for free.

I think given the amount of time spent, a gift card of some sort with a simple thank you note for the amount of time spent with you is appropriate. No need to say that you ended up finding xomething on your own, just say you won't be needing her at the time.

When I had an active real estate license I had a similar situation happen where I spent a couple weeks with this couple. We even put in several contract offers and we were really close to closing a deal and the seller was unreasonable. After the seller countered their last offer with a different closing date, they had it and moved on. The seller decided he wanted to take the deal after the fact but they were just done with it. Shortly thereafter, they ended up buying a piece of land from a private landowner and built their own house. I ended up with nothing for all that work. They didn't offer me anything and they certainly weren't obligated. I think anything you did, be it a couple hundred, or even a gift card for a nice restaurant, would be greatly appreciated. In the real estate business you come to expect these things to happen sometimes, but it's nice to have your efforts appreciated.

How much would you want to get paid for three full days of work?
The Realtor is an idiot for not addressing upfront. Some agents charge out-of-state buyers an hourly rate to look at homes. Some charge by the home. If they buy a home, then they get credit for those fees.

They could have even found a non-fsbo home and then the buyer says, "thanks, I'll have my agent write it up." That happens all the time. Any agent not getting a buyer rep signed up front is a ####ty agent and could easily do 2-3x more business by only working with clients that sign a rep up front.

It's also my opinion you need an agent for the fsbo. There's just too many issues that come up in a transaction and you need an advocate on your behalf.

We sold our first house FSBO and offered to pay buying agent commission. Local realtor family threatened to threaten any realtors contacting us. Guess he thought he owned the town - maybe he did. You don't owe her a thing, unless you want to thank her for her time showing you around town. She certainly wouldn't show you the FSBO home even if it was the best fit for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Davis said:
When I had an active real estate license I had a similar situation happen where I spent a couple weeks with this couple. We even put in several contract offers and we were really close to closing a deal and the seller was unreasonable. After the seller countered their last offer with a different closing date, they had it and moved on. The seller decided he wanted to take the deal after the fact but they were just done with it. Shortly thereafter, they ended up buying a piece of land from a private landowner and built their own house. I ended up with nothing for all that work. They didn't offer me anything and they certainly weren't obligated. I think anything you did, be it a couple hundred, or even a gift card for a nice restaurant, would be greatly appreciated. In the real estate business you come to expect these things to happen sometimes, but it's nice to have your efforts appreciated.

Thanks Mark - your perspective is especially helpful. I will definitely send her a thank you and gift card. Does 300 sound like a good number? What kind of gift card would a lady like?

give her a nice bottle of wine and tell her you appreciated her service and that if you want to sell your house or if you have any referrals you'll send them her way.

if she gets a bunch of referrals out of it and another potential client in you then that's well worth her time.

FWIW wine for a real estate agent from Utah is typically a bad choice of gift.

Getzlaf15 said:
wildbill said:
How much would you want to get paid for three full days of work?
The Realtor is an idiot for not addressing upfront. Some agents charge out-of-state buyers an hourly rate to look at homes. Some charge by the home. If they buy a home, then they get credit for those fees.

They could have even found a non-fsbo home and then the buyer says, "thanks, I'll have my agent write it up." That happens all the time. Any agent not getting a buyer rep signed up front is a ####ty agent and could easily do 2-3x more business by only working with clients that sign a rep up front.

It's also my opinion you need an agent for the fsbo. There's just too many issues that come up in a transaction and you need an advocate on your behalf.
If you don't mind paying someone with only a high school diploma $1000 per hour.

If a used car salesman takes you on a test drive do you buy him a gift if you buy a car from a different lot ?

No need to compensate a used house salesmen for a purchase that was not through them with no signed agreement.

Users who are viewing this thread