What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (9 Viewers)

Lots of continued interest in Yedlin.

====================================

Interest from La Liga has been added to the mix, with Spanish clubs approaching this week about signing Yedlin after his impressive showing at the World Cup, sources confirmed to Goal.

Earlier reports out of England linking Yedlin to Liverpool have also proven to be untrue, though there are Premier League teams expressing interest. There have also been inquiries from Ligue 1 as well.

Joe Gyau (US U17, U20 and U23 player) has transferred to Borrussia Dortmund 2 which plays in the 3rd division of Germany.

He is going to be 22 this year and will be entering his 4th season in German soccer.

Mix and Celtic are being linked. Here is a snippet about Mix from a UK paper

======================================

ROSENBORG last night admitted Celtic target Mikkel Diskerud will move on this summer.

The midfielder, who was in the USA’s World Cup squad, has just six months left on his deal.

And Rosenborg boss Per Joar Hansen said: “There will definitely be players leaving.”

As was posted earlier, Freddy Adu is now training with AZ Alkmaar. Here is a short article with some quotes from Bob Bradley and Earnie Stewart. Also a mention about how long Bacon will be out.

================================

AMSTERDAM – AZ Alkmaar technical director Earnie Stewart says the trial handed to Freddy Adu this week is down to their quest to add some playmaking nous to the squad, and not a mere favor for his former D.C. United teammate.

The 25-year-old attacker, who last played in a Copa Sudamericana match for Brazilian side Bahia nearly a year ago, is fresh off an unsuccessful two-week audition with Norwegian outfit Stabæk. The Cheese Farmers will begin the new Eredivisie season a month from Wednesday and are suffering a shortage of offensive options for various reasons.

"He will be here at least a week," a hopeful Stewart told MLSsoccer.com ahead of Adu's first training session under new manager Marco van Basten on Monday. "It is a position we are looking at."

In addition to going without injured top scorer Aron Johannsson until at least mid-August, the Cheese Farmers may soon have also lost a bookend set of wingers that combined for 14 goals and 11 assists on the 2012/13 campaign. Left winger Johann Berg Gudmundsson is out of contract and testing free agent waters, while bookend flanker Roy Beerens is currently locked in Hertha Berlin transfer talks.

Meanwhile, Stabæk boss Bob Bradley wished Adu well for his AZ trial, having passed on his former US national team charge.

"We do not have interest at this time," Bradley told MLSsoccer.com. "But he showed some progress while he was here, so hopefully he can show better at AZ."

ROSENBORG last night admitted Celtic target Mikkel Diskerud will move on this summer.

The midfielder, who was in the USA’s World Cup squad, has just six months left on his deal.

And Rosenborg boss Per Joar Hansen said: “There will definitely be players leaving.”
The SPL isn't a huge step up from Norway in terms of UEFA coefficients but Celtic would offer Diskerud a chance at European competition, a longer season and a normal calendar.

As was posted earlier, Freddy Adu is now training with AZ Alkmaar. Here is a short article with some quotes from Bob Bradley and Earnie Stewart. Also a mention about how long Bacon will be out.

================================

AMSTERDAM – AZ Alkmaar technical director Earnie Stewart says the trial handed to Freddy Adu this week is down to their quest to add some playmaking nous to the squad, and not a mere favor for his former D.C. United teammate.

The 25-year-old attacker, who last played in a Copa Sudamericana match for Brazilian side Bahia nearly a year ago, is fresh off an unsuccessful two-week audition with Norwegian outfit Stabæk. The Cheese Farmers will begin the new Eredivisie season a month from Wednesday and are suffering a shortage of offensive options for various reasons.

"He will be here at least a week," a hopeful Stewart told MLSsoccer.com ahead of Adu's first training session under new manager Marco van Basten on Monday. "It is a position we are looking at."

In addition to going without injured top scorer Aron Johannsson until at least mid-August, the Cheese Farmers may soon have also lost a bookend set of wingers that combined for 14 goals and 11 assists on the 2012/13 campaign. Left winger Johann Berg Gudmundsson is out of contract and testing free agent waters, while bookend flanker Roy Beerens is currently locked in Hertha Berlin transfer talks.

Meanwhile, Stabæk boss Bob Bradley wished Adu well for his AZ trial, having passed on his former US national team charge.

"We do not have interest at this time," Bradley told MLSsoccer.com. "But he showed some progress while he was here, so hopefully he can show better at AZ."
What's a Bacon?

The SPL isn't a huge step up from Norway in terms of UEFA coefficients but Celtic would offer Diskerud a chance at European competition, a longer season and a normal calendar.
Yeah, I'd rather see him come to the MLS than go to the Scottish league. I think he could find better opportunities if he wanted to.

The SPL will look a lot more attractive once Rangers return in 2015-16. Four Old Firm derbies and maybe even a legit title race could be good experience. But this year Celtic's domestic season will be a waste of time.

Mix and Celtic are being linked. Here is a snippet about Mix from a UK paper======================================ROSENBORG last night admitted Celtic target Mikkel Diskerud will move on this summer.The midfielder, who was in the USAs World Cup squad, has just six months left on his deal.And Rosenborg boss Per Joar Hansen said: There will definitely be players leaving.
Probably a much better salary too. Of course the key as always is will he play enough. He is not an every game starter for Rosenberg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, I'd rather see him come to the MLS than go to the Scottish league. I think he could find better opportunities if he wanted to.
He would have been a nice fit in Portland but it did not work out.

Sounds like from Marc Pelosi tweets, that he is still not ready to play yet 17 months after his bad injury. He tried to play last April but appears to have had a set back.

Any Liverpool fans have more information on what happened to him after returning in April?

hey brohans germany put the old blitzkrieg on brazil and yet germany only beat us by one does that say anything good about where us soccer is right now i do not know enough about it but it seems like a good thing to me take that to the bank bromerican soccer fans

Feedback from van Basten after today's match:

And test player Adu: "We are now a few days on the road with him and have to look at how that develops. As a finisher, he was not very impressive today, but he had a good pass on Tankovic, who then scored. How Adu can convince me? Playing well and scoring goals."

Geoff Cameron ✔ @GeoffCameron

Follow

@AlexiLalas do you have a soccer camp this summer? I would really love to go since apparently your a soccer expert

10:09 AM - 5 Jul 2014

Alexi Lalas ✔ @AlexiLalas

Follow

Beginners session is full. RT @GeoffCameron You have a soccer camp this summer? I’d really love to go since apparently your a soccer expert

10:55 AM - 5 Jul 2014

Cat fight!!! (This started when Lalas suggested Cameron would not have started against Argentina - had the US won, preferring Yedlin, Gonzalez and Beckerman to Cameron.)

Follow

@AlexiLalas do you have a soccer camp this summer? I would really love to go since apparently your a soccer expert

Follow

Beginners session is full. RT @GeoffCameron You have a soccer camp this summer? I’d really love to go since apparently your a soccer expert

Cat fight!!! (This started when Lalas suggested Cameron would not have started against Argentina - had the US won, preferring Yedlin, Gonzalez and Beckerman to Cameron.)
I dislike Lalas, but this? :lol:

There have been some tweets floating around that Junior Flores might get the chance to train in the preseason with Dortmund's first team.

Vrana said:
Norman Paperman said:

Follow

Follow

I dislike Lalas, but this? :lol:
Yeah - I agree with Lalas in that Cameron probably would have been behind those guys - I can understand Cameron firing back (I imagine most of the team are tired of Lalas' schtick, and his picking against the usmnt), Lalas probably should have let it go at that point, now they both look a little silly.

This is excellent news!

USAprospects ‏@USAprospects 4m
Source :: A decision from the Parker Brothers re: their int'l future could come soon and will likely be the same choice #usynt #USMNT

=====================================

Shawn Parker is the brother we hear the most about (he is with FC Augsburg now). I don't know much about his two younger brothers, Devante and Jermaine, but both younger brothers are in the FSV Mainz youth system as Shawn was.

This is excellent news!

USAprospects ‏@USAprospects 4mSource :: A decision from the Parker Brothers re: their int'l future could come soon and will likely be the same choice #usynt #USMNT

Shawn Parker is the brother we hear the most about (he is with FC Augsburg now). I don't know much about his two younger brothers, Devante and Jermaine, but both younger brothers are in the FSV Mainz youth system as Shawn was.
Parker Brothers is nice, but I think we'd rather have EA Sports...

This is excellent news!

USAprospects ‏@USAprospects 4mSource :: A decision from the Parker Brothers re: their int'l future could come soon and will likely be the same choice #usynt #USMNT

Anyone but Milton Bradley

This is excellent news!

USAprospects ‏@USAprospects 4m

Source :: A decision from the Parker Brothers re: their int'l future could come soon and will likely be the same choice #usynt #USMNT

Anyone but Milton Bradley
Michaels kids brother?

U-20 MNT to Play Australia, Bermuda and Chile in Carson, California; Final Pair of Tournament Games to be Broadcast on ussoccer.com

CHICAGO (July 10, 2014) – U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos has named a 20-player roster for the 2014 NTC Invitational Tournament that will take place at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, California, from July 14-18.

The U-20 MNT will gather for training camp in Carson beginning July 10 before playing its first games of the NTC Invitational against Chile on July 14 and Bermuda on July 16 with both matches scheduled to kick off at 4 p.m. PT. The U.S. concludes tournament play against Australia on July 18, a match that will be broadcast on ussoccer.com at 7 p.m. PT. The day’s other match between Bermuda and Chile will also be broadcast on ussoccer.com beginning at 4 p.m. PT.

The U.S. roster for the tournament is made up of a solid group of players with extensive experience in the U.S. Youth National Team Program as 11 players have reached a minimum of 10 YNT call-ups already in their young international careers. Six of those 11, including Russell Canouse (TSG Hoffenheim), Conor Donovan (Carolina RailHawks Academy), Shaquell Moore (FC Dallas Academy), Zach Pfeffer (Philadelphia Union), John Requejo Jr. (Club Tijuana) and Zack Steffen (Maryland) all have over 20 career YNT events under their belts, with Requejo Jr. leading the way with 33 to his name.

Dating back to last November’s international training camp in Verona, Italy, when this current iteration of the U-20 MNT was assembled, seven players have been included in a roster-high four U-20 MNT events: goalkeeper Santiago Castano (New York Red Bulls), defenders Donovan, Moore and Requejo Jr., midfielder Marco Delgado (Chivas USA) and forwards Pfeffer and Benji Lopez (Arizona United SC). Steffen, who was part of Ramos’ squad for the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey, is also be making his fourth appearance on a U.S. U-20 roster.

The roster blends a good mix of foreign- and domestic-based talents with eight players plying their trade outside the U.S., including Club Tijuana trio Fernando Arce – receiving his first call-up to a U.S. YNT event – Paul Arriola and Requejo Jr., who represent the most players named to the squad from one club.

Arriola, Castano, Delgado, Lopez, Moore, Pfeffer, Requejo Jr., and Steffen are among 12 players on the roster who helped the team to a second-place finish in the Gordon Jago Super Group at the 2014 Dallas Cup earlier this year in its last international competition.

After the conclusion of the NTC Invitational, Ramos and his staff will look to assemble the team again in early September for an international training camp.

U.S. U-20 MNT NTC Invitational Tournament and Broadcast Schedule:

Date Teams Time [PT] Location Broadcast

July 14 AUS v BER 1 p.m. Mooch Myernick Field none

USA v CHI 4 p.m. Mooch Myernick Field none

July 16 AUS v CHI 1 p.m. Mooch Myernick Field none

USA v BER 4 p.m. Mooch Myernick Field none

July 18 BER v CHI 4 p.m. StubHub Center ussoccer.com

USA v AUS 7 p.m. StubHub Center ussoccer.com

Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Santiago Castano (New York Red Bulls; Union City, N.J.), Zack Steffen (Maryland; Downington, Pa.)

DEFENDERS (7): Michael Amick (UCLA; Sunnyvale, Calif.), Conor Donovan (Carolina RailHawks Academy; Fuquay Varina, N.C.), Chris Odoi-Atsem (Maryland; Mitchellville, Md.), Shaquell Moore (FC Dallas; Powder Springs, Ga.), John Requejo Jr. (Club Tijuana; Carpinteria, Calif.), Caleb Smith (Solar Chelsea SC; Arlington, Texas), Jesus Vasquez (UANL Tigres; San Luis Obispo, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Fernando Arce (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Russell Canouse (TSG Hoffenheim; Lancaster, Pa.), Marco Delgado (Chivas USA; Glendora, Calif.), Romain Gall (Lorient; Herndon, Va.), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland; Santa Cruz, Calif.), Jacori Hayes (Wake Forest; Bowie, Md.)

FORWARDS (5): Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Bradford Jamieson (LA Galaxy II; Los Angeles, Calif.), Benji Lopez (Arizona United SC; San Diego, Calif.), Andrija Novakovich (Reading; Muskego, Wis.), Zach Pfeffer (Philadelphia Union; Dresher, Pa.)
I'm going to try to go to one of these.

why no Junior Fores?
No Rubio Rubin either

Flores might have something to do with my previous post about him having a chance to go on preseason with the Dortmund first team.

Rubio is also old enough for Utrecht this year and they may have asked him to stay.

Here is a recent article on Russell Canouse from the U20 team

Just a year after joining the TSG Hoffenheims youth academy, American-born midfielder Russell Canouse is one step closer to the Bundesliga.

The Pennsylvania native has signed a professional contract with Hoffenheim, after a standout campaign with the clubs Under-17 side. Canouse played for the US Under-18 national team in a tournament in Portugal last month and was recently named as Hoffenheims Academy Player of the Year.

"Its been a great experience in Germany, and this contract is just the next step for me", said Canouse, who will turn 17 next week. "The goal is to make the first team and Im grateful for the chance to keep moving up the ladder."

Canouse will join the Hoffenheim Under-19 team next season, the same team that US Under-23 midfielder Joseph Gyau played for when he signed with Hoffenheim two years ago. Gyau has moved up to the reserve team and made his Bundesliga debut for the club this past season.

"Russell is one of our top prospects in the academy, he has adjusted quickly to our environment and requirements", said Alexander Rosen, Hoffenheims Academy Director. "He has a true professional attitude on and off the field and he has a bright future if he continues to work hard."

A native of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, Canouse spent time with the New York Red Bulls Academy before joining the US Under-17 National Team Residency Program. He left there after a year to join his father Gregory, who moved to Germany for work.

"Training there helped me get used to a more professional training environment," Canouse said of the US Under-17 program. "Its hard training every day, and you have to get used to the pace and the quality of players. That got me better technically and helped me grow as a player."

Canouses move to Germany paved the way for a trial with Hoffenheim. He impressed enough to earn a place on the Hoffenheim U-17 team, which he eventually became the captain of. He held off signing a contract with Hoffenheim in order to keep his option of playing college soccer open. His outstanding first season with the club helped him decide to forego college to stick with Hoffenheim, and it also earned him the three-year contract he finalized after finishing the recent season.

Canouses path to his professional dream has not been without its rough patches. Along with the struggle of adapting to a new country, new language and new team as a teenager, Canouse has also dealt with the devastating news that his mother has been diagnosed with lung cancer.

"Its hard being out here (in Germany), with her dealing with it back in the US", Canouse said. "The first thing my mother told me was that she wants me to follow my dream and thats what Ive been doing. Overall my mindset is that shes going to get through it and be strong and overcome it."

He has sacrificed a lot to get to this point, and being a professional has always been the dream, said Canouses father Gregory. His ability to adapt to life in Germany so quickly, and become the teams captain after six months, says a lot about him and how mature he is at such a young age.

A hard-tackling defensive midfielder by trade, Canouse will now be competing compete with the U-19 team, where he will be two levels away from the Hoffenheim Bundesliga side, a team which currently boasts US national team players Fabian Johnson and Danny Williams, as well as Gyau.

Canouse still has plenty of work to do to realize his goal of first-team professional soccer, but he has now signed a pro contract and has taken a step closer to joining the growing list of Americans playing in Europes top leagues.

Mix with a goal in Europa League qualifying today.
Nice first touch chip-like volley

http://giant.gfycat.com/WatchfulWateryDouglasfirbarkbeetle.gif
Looks like a high school setting. Where was that played?
Took the words out of my mouth. HS setting, HS goal.
setting yes- but that goal was really hard to do... yeah he was pretty open, but I'll give him credit for making the run- and wow, made that over the shoulder first time inside of the foot volley look very, very easy.

Tonight at 11:00pm Eastern, SJ hosts DC on NBCSN.

The main player to watch here for next cycle is probably Bill Hamid who has been getting nice reviews for his play this season in goal for DC.

The main player to watch here for next cycle is probably Bill Hamid who has been getting nice reviews for his play this season in goal for DC.
Is it generally accepted that he's below Sean Johnson in the USMNT GK pecking order now? It seemed for awhile there, 3-4 years ago, it was pretty well accepted that Hamid would be the future of the position for the USMNT.

Is it generally accepted that he's below Sean Johnson in the USMNT GK pecking order now? It seemed for awhile there, 3-4 years ago, it was pretty well accepted that Hamid would be the future of the position for the USMNT.
I think Johnson and Hamid are very close and you could go either way.

These two players have an annoying habit of flip flooping when they are on form. One year Hamid is the better, the next it is Johnson.

So far this year Hamid appears to be getting consistently higher ratings.

These two players have an annoying habit of flip flooping when they are on form. One year Hamid is the better, the next it is Johnson.

When's Bobby Shuttleworth gonna get a callup??

It would be in the January camp if at all.

I think Johnson and Hamid are very close and you could go either way.These two players have an annoying habit of flip flooping when they are on form. One year Hamid is the better, the next it is Johnson.

Where's Clint Irwin fit into the mix here? same age as Johnson, seems to be having a nice year for Colorado.

I think this is right. Hamid had a bad mistake for DCU literally right before the Gold Cup call-ups, so Johnson got that call up. I think Hamid is the better athlete and more natural shot stopper, even if Johnson is also gifted in those areas. In Hamid's favor this year is that DCU's defense is much, much better in front of him. Parke, Boswell, and the new kid Birnbaum have all played well. Even Korb has had the best run of form of his career. But Hamid has still made big saves, including one at the literal death to preserve the win against Toronto in the last game.

Tally Hall has probably been more consistent than either Hamid or Johnson, but he obviously has nothing like the upside.

I think Johnson and Hamid are very close and you could go either way.These two players have an annoying habit of flip flooping when they are on form. One year Hamid is the better, the next it is Johnson.

Where's Clint Irwin fit into the mix here? same age as Johnson, seems to be having a nice year for Colorado.
Not sure.

Sometimes with keepers, they can seem to grouped together and hard to differentiate because they are so dependent in their back lines.

2012 Olympic Qualifying > never forget

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Americans had only a handful of seconds left to run out the clock and advance a step closer to the Olympics. With the pressure building with each tick, victory slipped away.

Right off their hands.

The United States, known for producing top goalkeepers such as Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller and Tim Howard, found themselves done in Monday night when substitute Sean Johnson couldn't handle a long shot from Jaime Alas of El Salvador in stoppage time.

The ball bounced off his hands, up over him and into the net, and El Salvador ousted the United States from Olympic qualifying with a 3-3 tie.
"This is probably the worst feeling I've ever felt in my life so far as a pro athlete," U.S. captain Freddy Adu said. "This is going to be hard to get over. But at the end of the day things like this happen. For me, I never want to feel this way again, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to never feel this way again."

The Americans had to win to reach Saturday's semifinals in Kansas City, Kan., and they led 3-2 on Joe Corona's goal in the 68th minute. Officials added 4 minutes of stoppage time onto the game, and U.S. coach Caleb Porter said they were "seconds away" from closing out the win and taking the top spot in Group A. A television clock showed the ball going in 4 minutes, 14 seconds into stoppage time.

What happened is something U.S. midfielder Mix Diskerud said no one wants to experience in life, something he couldn't believe.

"The last 20 minutes after our third goal, all those minutes felt like very, very long hours. But I thought we were going to make it. Everybody thought we were going to make it.," Diskerud said.

"One shot."

Alas stunned the Americans, who missed the Olympics for the second time since 1976 and second time in three Games.

Several Americans dropped to the field in exhaustion and disbelief after the score, and Porter had to try to rally them back to their feet for one last gasp chance that didn't materialize. Porter said he hugged Johnson after the game. The 6-foot-4 keeper did not speak with reporters.

"He feels like he's let everybody down, let his teammates down, and I told him he didn't," Porter said.
(from ESPN)

2012 Olympic Qualifying > never forget

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Americans had only a handful of seconds left to run out the clock and advance a step closer to the Olympics. With the pressure building with each tick, victory slipped away.

Right off their hands.

The United States, known for producing top goalkeepers such as Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller and Tim Howard, found themselves done in Monday night when substitute Sean Johnson couldn't handle a long shot from Jaime Alas of El Salvador in stoppage time.

The ball bounced off his hands, up over him and into the net, and El Salvador ousted the United States from Olympic qualifying with a 3-3 tie.
"This is probably the worst feeling I've ever felt in my life so far as a pro athlete," U.S. captain Freddy Adu said. "This is going to be hard to get over. But at the end of the day things like this happen. For me, I never want to feel this way again, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to never feel this way again."

The Americans had to win to reach Saturday's semifinals in Kansas City, Kan., and they led 3-2 on Joe Corona's goal in the 68th minute. Officials added 4 minutes of stoppage time onto the game, and U.S. coach Caleb Porter said they were "seconds away" from closing out the win and taking the top spot in Group A. A television clock showed the ball going in 4 minutes, 14 seconds into stoppage time.

What happened is something U.S. midfielder Mix Diskerud said no one wants to experience in life, something he couldn't believe.

"The last 20 minutes after our third goal, all those minutes felt like very, very long hours. But I thought we were going to make it. Everybody thought we were going to make it.," Diskerud said.

"One shot."

Alas stunned the Americans, who missed the Olympics for the second time since 1976 and second time in three Games.

Several Americans dropped to the field in exhaustion and disbelief after the score, and Porter had to try to rally them back to their feet for one last gasp chance that didn't materialize. Porter said he hugged Johnson after the game. The 6-foot-4 keeper did not speak with reporters.

"He feels like he's let everybody down, let his teammates down, and I told him he didn't," Porter said.
(from ESPN)
Here are the highlights from that game. It does not show Shea's complicity in the goal that caused them not to qualify

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcRahWPF7c8

Users who are viewing this thread