What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

Jurgen Klinsmann rejected job offers

Jurgen Klinsmann remains focused on coaching the U.S. despite several offers to return to Europe.

The former Germany and Bayern Munich coach was linked with Galatasaray during the 2014 World Cup and told Bild there has also been interest from other parties.

He said: "There have been several enquiries from European clubs but I told them straight away that they don't have to follow up on them.

"That's not an issue for me. I am under contract here until 2018, and I am looking forward to the upcoming tasks."

During the United States' run to the round of 16, a wave of "soccer fever" hit the United States.

Klinsmann hailed the remarkable atmosphere which included praise for his side's work from U.S. President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

"The World Cup was a gigantic success. Yes, we would have wished to go even further, but it was really close against Belgium," he said. "Nobody had expected us to advance to the knockout stages from that group of death.

"We did it -- and sparked an unbelievable euphoria. The viewing figures went into record numbers, and there were public screenings the U.S. had not witnessed before.

"Vice president Joe Biden was in the dressing room after the Ghana match. And Barack Obama called after our defeat against Belgium. I got Tim Howard and Clint Dempsey to answer the call, and they were super proud.

"Even Angela Merkel sent me a text message after every match. Of course, she crossed her fingers for Germany. But -- without asking her -- I'd say that the United States have been her second team."

Klinsmann, who led Germany to the 2006 World Cup semifinals before standing aside, also said their current success was nothing to do with him.

"All credit has to go to Joachim Low and his colleagues - from [team manager] Oliver Bierhoff to the players, the staff, the association and also the Bundesliga. They can toast it on Sunday," he said.

"I will be watching the final at home, with my family. We will keep our fingers crossed. Most of the U.S. is also behind Germany. The team is admired for the style in which they made it to the final. Most of all for the 7-1."

I've not watched any MLS since moving away from Chicago 6 years ago, but will probably watch tonight. Searching for a good game preview, I noticed that the Seattle-Portland soccer rivalry has it's own Wikipedia entry: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_TimbersSeattle_Sounders_rivalry
That link to wiki did not work for me.

If you did not see this preview, it has some good info

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2014-07-13-seattle-sounders-fc-vs-portland-timbers/preview

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Houston, Brad Davis has 3 goals in the 2 games since he has been back.
People ask why don't the euro snobs watch MLS? It's stuff like this. Brad Davis was so unimpressive in the international games that I've seen him play in that I must conclude that if he's scoring at such a clip, his competition is pretty poor.Maybe his role is different in Houston than it was for the USMNT, but still.

I've not watched any MLS since moving away from Chicago 6 years ago, but will probably watch tonight. Searching for a good game preview, I noticed that the Seattle-Portland soccer rivalry has it's own Wikipedia entry: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_TwimbersSeattle_Sounders_rivalry
That link to wiki did not work for me. If you did not see this preview, it has some good infohttp://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2014-07-13-seattle-sounders-fc-vs-portland-timbers/preview
Wiki link - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Timbers-Seattle_Sounders_rivalry

Speaking of Houston, Brad Davis has 3 goals in the 2 games since he has been back.
People ask why don't the euro snobs watch MLS? It's stuff like this. Brad Davis was so unimpressive in the international games that I've seen him play in that I must conclude that if he's scoring at such a clip, his competition is pretty poor.Maybe his role is different in Houston than it was for the USMNT, but still.
Would you say the same for Diego Costa's competition in Spain? He scored something like 40 goals last season but was ineffective for Spain in the World Cup. Rom Lukaku scored 15 goals in the EPL last season but can't get a start for Wilmots over a 19 year old. I can't speak for Davis or the MLS, but I think you'll find plenty of anonymous results like this if you look for them.

People ask why the Eurosnobs are incredibly hypocritical when they talk about MLS? It's stuff like this. Are you really trying to pretend that there are not multiple players all over the world in all types of leagues who will do well after having a poor WC?

There are plenty of things to crap on MLS about, this is not one of them.

The hypocrisy in which the snobs complain about MLS is almost identical to how other sports fans complain about soccer.

Z off his game there.

Davis is and has always been a quality player. That he's scoring goals and providing assists shouldn't be that much of a shock- granted thats a pretty good run, even for him.

The World Cup was full of players who aren't necessarily tip-top of their leagues, countries or world but who still deserve to be in the WC.... doesn't diminish the player or league in which they play if they do well at home after a less than great WC.

Would you say the same for Diego Costa's competition in Spain? He scored something like 40 goals last season but was ineffective for Spain in the World Cup. Rom Lukaku scored 15 goals in the EPL last season but can't get a start for Wilmots over a 19 year old. I can't speak for Davis or the MLS, but I think you'll find plenty of anonymous results like this if you look for them.
I would say Diego Costa did not play the same role for España, as he did for Atletico. Same position, but different roles/philosophies.

I don't know what role Davis plays for Houston, I assume he is more involved with Houston, than he was in the USMNT game plan.

I've not watched any MLS since moving away from Chicago 6 years ago, but will probably watch tonight. Searching for a good game preview, I noticed that the Seattle-Portland soccer rivalry has it's own Wikipedia entry: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_TimbersSeattle_Sounders_rivalry
It is a good one to watch. The Portland-Seattle fans take this game really seriously and there should be a really wild atmosphere.
To keep it on topic for this thread, I guess there are 3 main players to watch: Dempsey, Yedlin and Nagbe.

Even though I bet there might be others in this game tonight who will be capped this cycle, it is hard to project who. JK is not easy to predict. Another Seattle player no one could have guessed last cycle was Brad Evans and he had a big part in qualifying.

Davis is and has always been a quality player. That he's scoring goals and providing assists shouldn't be that much of a shock- granted thats a pretty good run, even for him.
Yeah, he is a great setup guy but never been a goal scorer.

Looking up his stats, he has been playing since 2002 and he has only scored over 5 goals in an entire season twice, so this mini run of goals is obviously out of character.

I forgot he was with NY in his first season. That adds another player to the NY American list:

Howard, Ream, Bradley, Agudelo, Jozy and Davis. Pretty good basis for a team if they had kept them together :)

Looking up his stats, he has been playing since 2002 and he has only scored over 5 goals in an entire season twice, so this mini run of goals is obviously out of character.

I forgot he was with NY in his first season. That adds another player to the NY American list:

Howard, Ream, Bradley, Agudelo, Jozy and Davis. Pretty good basis for a team if they had kept them together :)
I didn't remember that it was his first season... I do remember liking him for NY, and wondering why they let him go. Same for Magee and a few others

I didn't remember that it was his first season... I do remember liking him for NY, and wondering why they let him go. Same for Magee and a few others
He was in the running for the rookie of the year with NY.

There is a direct connection for Magee and Davis.

In the offseason NY traded Davis to Dallas for the 4th pick in the draft which turned out to be Magee.

Magee stayed with NY for quite a few years and then was traded to LA for a second round pick. Magee really blossomed late in his career.

MLS is what it is. Some people can't stand to watch sports except the total upper echelon, and that's ok. But if you're one of those total junkies like I am, MLS can be very entertaining, I'm the kind of person who also watches midweek small school college football.

This was posted in the general thread but I will copy here for those just following the US specifically

Translated from AZ's website: “AZ Alkmaar didn’t offer Freddy Adu a contract. The player was on trial for a week, but didn’t reach the prearranged goals. AZ wish Adu the best success in his pursuit of a new team.”

Article on Tim Ream discussing that he might be back at CB this season and talk about his decision to miss a US camp for the birth of his child

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-things-after-breakout-season-bolton-wanderer

With left back Dean Moxey snared from Crystal Palace, Freedman expects to use Ream in the heart of defense this season. Of course, as the old joke goes, the best way to make God laugh is to have a plan.

"Stuff goes down and you can be right back out there again," he laughed. "It's one of those you can't predict. You just have to be ready."

"Naturally, you can say "Did I make the right decision?" but me being the type of person I am, it wasn't about a lack of commitment to the national team," explained Ream. "It was a greater commitment to family. It was my first born, and one of those things I wasn't willing to miss.

"Unfortunately, it may have been my last chance to impress [Klinsmann]. But you just put your head down and go at it again over the next few years."

It may seem odd for a young defender coming off a big season to frame the issue in that manner, but Ream has learned through everything to live in the present.

"I don't think you can ever say you expect to be given a chance," he admitted. "You have to be playing on a regular basis with your club to have a shot at the national team. And that's what I'm focused on. Hopefully, in the coming months, a chance does come up and I can go in and do well with the national team. At the end of the day, I can only control what I'm doing here. The decisions are up to Jurgen and the staff there."

The here and now is with Bolton, who start another chase for the top flight with an August trip to Watford. Despite last year's 14th-placed finish, Ream and the boys insist they are quite capable of better.

"It's no secret that it was a terrible start and a disappointing season overall," he stated. "With the core group we have and the guys they brought in, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't start the season on a higher note.

"I think everybody believes that [we can fight for promotion], but it's not something we discuss. We're not worrying about what happened last year or what could happen this year you've got to stay in the moment."

As far as that goes, Higuain, Aguero and Palacios looked like they'd never seen a soccer ball before.

As far as that goes, Higuain, Aguero and Palacios looked like they'd never seen a soccer ball before.
I agree and when they go back and dominate their leagues no one is going to to say those leagues stink because they did not play well in the WC.

As for Aguero, I have to think something was physically wrong in a pretty severe way. He looked so slow and had such a lead touch. Nothing like he looks for Man City.

Z off his game there.

The World Cup was full of players who aren't necessarily tip-top of their leagues, countries or world but who still deserve to be in the WC.... doesn't diminish the player or league in which they play if they do well at home after a less than great WC.
Davis has been a quality player in the MLS, sure. But when faced with tougher competition, he really looked out of his depth. Even Bedoya or Zusi looked more at home on the WC pitch than Davis. I'm not saying he didn't belong on the team (although I would have taken LD over him), just trying to highlight some of the disparity between MLS and other leagues.

God yes. I was yelling at them for the last few games to make the runs cutting toward Messi, especially when he heads right. SOOOOO many Barca goals are scored that way with Messi sucking defenders in only to find a teammate cutting in for an easy finish. Aguero didn't seem to understand that much, and his touch didn't help matters. Higuain should have finished multiple times, but was simply off.

I would say Diego Costa did not play the same role for España, as he did for Atletico. Same position, but different roles/philosophies.

I don't know what role Davis plays for Houston, I assume he is more involved with Houston, than he was in the USMNT game plan.
Costa had a really poor Cup, but then again so did all of Spain. Like I said earlier, they should have played Villa + Costa up top with Koke in the mdifield and Juanfran at right back. Should have brought Gabi along for the ride too. Then again, that wouldn't have prevented Iker and Pique from ####ting the bed multiple times.

Z off his game there.

Davis has been a quality player in the MLS, sure. But when faced with tougher competition, he really looked out of his depth. Even Bedoya or Zusi looked more at home on the WC pitch than Davis. I'm not saying he didn't belong on the team (although I would have taken LD over him), just trying to highlight some of the disparity between MLS and other leagues.
That highlights nothing except hypocrisy IMO. Do you know how many players from EPL, La Liga etc looked out of their depth?

I am not sure how much better the MLS players on the whole could have looked in this WC but as I said previously, some biases are going to take a long time to break.

Ok whats the protocol here exactly? Why is an MLS game being discussed in the USMNT thread?

This thread needs to go away unless there are firendlies, qualifiers or international tournaments. Too much redundancy going on. :grad:

Ok whats the protocol here exactly? Why is an MLS game being discussed in the USMNT thread?

This thread needs to go away unless there are firendlies, qualifiers or international tournaments. Too much redundancy going on. :grad:
Newer fans said they wanted to track US players here because they did not want to wade into the soccer thread which is vastly non US based.

I don't really care since I read both but I can understand new fans who just want to follow how US players like Dempsey, Yedlin etc are doing at club level.

Yeah, club games need to be discussed in the soccer thread or we'll get all kinds of confusing crossover.

If new fans care about usmnt players and their club teams, they can check there. If not, they can wait until qualifiers start again.

Newer fans said they wanted to track US players here because they did not want to wade into the soccer thread which is vastly non US based.

I don't really care since I read both but I can understand new fans who just want to follow how US players like Dempsey, Yedlin etc are doing at club level.
Yeah, club games need to be discussed in the soccer thread or we'll get all kiss of confusing crossover.

If new fans care about usmnt players and their club teams, they can check there. If not, they can wait until qualifiers start again.
I hope the three sweeper formation doesn't catch on.

Yeah, club games need to be discussed in the soccer thread or we'll get all kiss of confusing crossover.

Booyah.

The vast majority of US players are not talked about in the main soccer thread. That thread is 99% Euro soccer from August to May. If a US player stumbles into the conversation every 500 posts we are lucky.

I would think new fans would rather not be told "go away for 2 years" when they might actually have some interest.

Personally I think there is a ton of stuff to follow well outside of qualifiers that new fans might be interested in assuming they are not quite ready to jump into the deep end of club soccer.

Club form

Dual nationals

Friendlies

Gold Cup

Etc

Again I don't really care as I will read what ever threads we have. I thought this thread was more for fans who just wanted to follow the US team, its players and perspective players.

If not just have Premier delete this thread and we can all just talk in the soccer thread.

Meh, how many checked in here during the biggest/best rivalry in mls featuring Dempsey and Yedlin?
No idea. We were talking in the soccer thread about that game and I did not see any new names posting in there.

This is not worth discussing imo. If this thread is so bad just delete it. I do most of my posting on BS anyway about US soccer since the soccer thread is really not for US based posts.

I think it makes sense once we hit fall to post those Yanks Abroad style weekly reports in this thread for the guys playing in Europe. That kind of stuff can definitely get buried in the soccer thread. General MLS discussion should stay in the soccer thread though imo.

Alexi Lalas and Taylor Twellman have a podcast (Big Head Red Head) that I promise is good. They recorded an episode on the tenth that was a WC post-mortem for the USMNT. It was a good nuanced discussion of the team and their performance. I definitely recommend listening to it.

Meh, how many checked in here during the biggest/best rivalry in mls featuring Dempsey and Yedlin?
No idea.
None, that's how many

We were talking in the soccer thread about that game and I did not see any new names posting in there.

This is not worth discussing imo. If this thread is so bad just delete it. I do most of my posting on BS anyway about US soccer since the soccer thread is really not for US based posts.
No need to get panties bunched up here.

I think moe's idea of weekly updates is prefect for here. it'll keep everyone informed of what's going on with the US players regardless of where they play

Just spent the weekend at an ODP regional. I see more black players during any random NHL game. Lots of great passing and dribbling on display, marginal speed in my opinion.

I believe, our best athletes aren't playing soccer.

Yeah, club games need to be discussed in the soccer thread or we'll get all kinds of confusing crossover.

No thanks.

The vast majority of US players are not talked about in the main soccer thread. That thread is 99% Euro soccer from August to May. If a US player stumbles into the conversation every 500 posts we are lucky. I would think new fans would rather not be told "go away for 2 years" when they might actually have some interest.

Personally I think there is a ton of stuff to follow well outside of qualifiers that new fans might be interested in assuming they are not quite ready to jump into the deep end of club soccer.

Club form

Dual nationals

Friendlies

Gold Cup

Etc

Again I don't really care as I will read what ever threads we have. I thought this thread was more for fans who just wanted to follow the US team, its players and perspective players.

If not just have Premier delete this thread and we can all just talk in the soccer thread.
No way. This thread is exactly what I wanted. I looked in the main soccer thread the other day and it had grown to like 10 pages of stuff I didn't care about. If guys like native, etc don't want to post here......then don't post here. It's not a big deal. Nobody's feeling will be hurt. :shrug:

The vast majority of US players are not talked about in the main soccer thread. That thread is 99% Euro soccer from August to May. If a US player stumbles into the conversation every 500 posts we are lucky.I would think new fans would rather not be told "go away for 2 years" when they might actually have some interest.

Club form

Dual nationals

Friendlies

Gold Cup

Etc

No way. This thread is exactly what I wanted. I looked in the main soccer thread the other day and it had grown to like 10 pages of stuff I didn't care about. If guys like native, etc don't want to post here......then don't post here. It's not a big deal. Nobody's feeling will be hurt. :shrug:
Premier - Then maybe change the name of this thread to "USMNT and MLS"? :shrug:

I'm with Gator :shiver:

Should be pretty straight forward. Direct usmnt here, all else, there.
I think this is fine but that is not what Gator originally said which started the conversation. "If new fans care about usmnt players and their club teams, they can check there. If not, they can wait until qualifiers start again."

He basically said new fans can go away for two years if they don't like the soccer thread. I am not sure how that benefits anyone besides those that struggle with the idea of two threads.

The vast majority of US players are not talked about in the main soccer thread. That thread is 99% Euro soccer from August to May. If a US player stumbles into the conversation every 500 posts we are lucky.I would think new fans would rather not be told "go away for 2 years" when they might actually have some interest.

Club form

Dual nationals

Friendlies

Gold Cup

Etc

why does the name have to change? MLS as a league can be discussed in the soccer thread.

Updates on US players who play in MLS/EPL/Bundesligia etc could be posted here like others have said.

I am fine with two threads, even if there is some cross-over discussion in both. I'll always check both threads (or really any soccer-titled thread).

I do like the idea of the separate thread for specific discussion on USMNT players - in MLS or abroad. I'd probably keep MLS specific comments in the general soccer-thread. The thread is about to heat up with Euro leagues getting ready for pre-season friendlies, and while most discussion centers around Premier League, there is enough talk about La Liga and Bundesliga that MLS talk would not be out of place in the discussion.

Club form

Dual nationals

Friendlies

Gold Cup

Etc

No. The intent is to discuss USMNT. Most of them play in MLS. Therefore there will be some MLS discussion here.

I've enjoyed this thread tremendously and learned a lot from NR these last two weeks. Things I would have missed in the giant soccer thread. I'm sure others are the same. It's not all about you.

I've enjoyed this thread tremendously and learned a lot from NR these last two weeks. Things I would have missed in the giant soccer thread. I'm sure others are the same. It's not all about you.
cool. Most of what I post I just find on BS or Yanks Abroad web sites.

If anyone has any specific questions about players, post them and I can try and research for you.

Possible dual nationals is my biggest knowledge gap so I am trying to fill that as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread