What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (16 Viewers)

one interesting story I am following for the U20 roster is whether 18 year old Brandon Aaronson will make the cut.

It is really cool that we have a young player who appears to be good enough to be a starter on a team that is in first place in the East in MLS but that is only on the bubble for the U20 national team.   In years gone by we were lucky to have any player on the roster be a pro, much less getting real minutes with a team so the fact that Aaronson is only a bubble player certainly shows the expanded depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
one interesting story I am following for the U20 roster is whether 18 year old Brandon Aaronson will make the cut.

It is really cool that we have a young player who appears to be good enough to be a starter on a team that is in first place in the East in MLS but that is on the bubble for the national team.   In years gone by we were lucky to have any player on the roster be a pro, much less getting real minutes with a team so the fact that Aaronson is only a bubble player certainly shows the expanded depth.
Here's his all touch video from last night.

Here's his all touch video from last night.
What is your opinion of him Ned from watching complete games?  Does he feel more flash in the pan, or is does have have something real?  

Yesterday Sciaretta tweeted that he is competing with Mendez, Ledezma, Pomykal and Cappis, for a U20 spot which is some really good talent.

What is your opinion of him Ned from watching complete games?  Does he feel more flash in the pan, or is does have have something real?  

Yesterday Sciaretta tweeted that he is competing with Mendez, Ledezma, Pomykal and Cappis, for a U20 spot which is some really good talent.
I'm excited about him, but I think he's being over-hyped right now.   I haven't seen the other boys play, but I think Pomykal looks more polished at this point.

I'm excited about him, but I think he's being over-hyped right now.   I haven't seen the other boys play, but I think Pomykal looks more polished at this point.
I have seen a lot of Pomykal, and I watched Mendez play every minute in qualification.

I have seen almost nothing of either Ledezema or Cappis.

Ledezma is yet another one of the kids that Mexico is interested in.  This could be a big tournament for Ledezma, Mendez and Llaneaz to all bond closer to the US. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez, is one of the players expected to play a big role in the U17 qualification (starting today) for the US.  He was the leading scorer for the Sounders youth team that recently won the GA Cup tournament beating teams like River Plate, Flamengo, West Ham and Valencia along they way.

Yesterday, Seattle signed him to a first team contract as a home grown player.  :thumbup:

• Smile
Eddie Howe on Emmy

===========

And boss Howe says the midfielder’s work behind the scenes during the past four months has impressed him.

The Cherries manager told the Daily Echo: “I think Emerson has trained very well.

“I think he deserves this opportunity.

“He’s been consistently performing to a really high level technically in training.

“Emerson is very level-headed. He’s very quiet. He goes about his business in a really good way. He trains well every day.

“I’ve got a lot of time for him as a footballer.

“Obviously he’s had big competition in there this season, as he always has since he’s been here (from 2016).

“But with the injuries there’s an opportunity and I was pleased with him when he came on at Southampton. Not an easy situation to adapt to, but he did very well.”

Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez, is one of the players expected to play a big role in the U17 qualification (starting today) for the US.  He was the leading scorer for the Sounders youth team that recently won the GA Cup tournament beating teams like River Plate, Flamengo, West Ham and Valencia along they way.

Yesterday, Seattle signed him to a first team contract as a home grown player.  :thumbup:
Who starts tonight? AOC or Pepi? I’d probably go Pepi since he’s playing well against full grown men, but AOC wouldn’t surprise me. 

Who starts tonight? AOC or Pepi? I’d probably go Pepi since he’s playing well against full grown men, but AOC wouldn’t surprise me. 
I know nothing about Wicky's formations so it is hard to guess.  I know a two striker set up is not in vogue these days but I would not be against seeing both Pepi and AOC start together up top.

If they do go with only one striker, Pepi seems the likely choice to start.  I assume tonight should be the hardest of the three group stage games, but always a crap shoot at this age.

I’ve heard/read in multiple places that Wicky and Berhalter talk strategy together. I’d be real surprised if it doesn’t look a lot like the full NT set up tonight. 
dear god, please don't make my eyes see Reyna playing as a false RB (yes I kid, .....kind of :)  )

• Laughing
I must be missing something here. I remember Sal Zizzo for the same reason I remember famed Hartford Whaler Zarley Zalapski. They have a cool last name that starts with Z. 
I had high hopes for him coming from that 2007 u20 WC team where his skills and soccer smarts jumped out at me. I know he eventually ended up into the NYC area with RBs and/or maybe even the Cosmos, but he's yet another kid who's professional game never quite lived up to the hopes his youth play established for me.

Plus, Dr Seuss's zizzer zazzer zuzz.

I will be watching later on dvr but here is the starting lineup

Travis Clark‏Verified account @travismclark

U.S. U17 MNT starting lineup vs. Canada: Las; Scally, Alejandre, Hernandez-Foster, Armour; Leyva, Kayo, Busio; Yow, Pepi, Reyna

Certainly not a good performance.  The team looked disjointed and played like they had a brand new coach they never played for before (which was true).

Kudos to the players for fighting through it, being down 2-0 and Canada deciding to defend what should have been a great 3 points for them to start off with.

The US came all the way back to win 3-2 on a Reyna free kick.   

While acknowledging I have very little knowledge of the other teams in the group, I have to think Canada was going to be much more difficult than either Barbados or Guat.  Barbados is a real minnow and they managed to draw with Guat in the first game 1-1.

While 3 out of the 4 teams in the group advance, you really want to win the group out right because you get what on paper should be a very easy game against Guadeloupe as the first knock out round game.   Which if they win that leaves them 1 win away from qualification against what should be either Panama or Costa Rica.

Next up for the US is Barbados on Saturday.  The US can actually win the group out right on Saturday if they win and Canada wins as they hold the head to head tie breaker over Canada due to the win today.   That would be nice to wrap up so they can sit any players either with a knock or yellows in the last game against Guat.

What I like about him, and he’s mentioned it in interviews, is that he thinks like a 10. He wants to play dangerous passes in the final third. And he recognizes they might not come off more often than not, but that when they do, they can decide games. 

Send three guys deep and one on a hook!

That first goal , with the dribbling on the flank, good cross and perfect full volley was the best of them, imo.
The second goal was kind of ugly in that it was a multiple reflection that fell to the US player, but the kid hit an absolute rocket as clean as possible from well outside the box.  That is something we see go well over the net from pros week in and week out.

while I enjoy these tournaments and realize that from a financial point of view it can really only be handled in a short form tournament model, I still hate that qualification always comes down to a single game instead of a group of games.

while still way too high for a friendly IMO, these ticket prices are more reasonable than some games US Soccer has put on

=============

Steven Goff‏Verified account @SoccerInsider

Public ticket sale for #USMNT friendly vs. Jamaica June 5 at DC's Audi Field began today.

Prices:

Behind south goal: $26

West sideline: $50-78

East upper deck: $33-50

Corners: $28-33

East club: $85-125

East/north field side: $150-325

CCV news

"We asked him to step into the game in terms of how he played on the ball and the progress he has made on that side of his game has been excellent, and he has been a big part of the run we have been on.

"He is a player who has been an excellent signing. He is a strong boy, he is still 21 years of age but he looks a lot older than that, to be honest with you.

CCV article

while still way too high for a friendly IMO, these ticket prices are more reasonable than some games US Soccer has put on

=============

Steven Goff‏Verified account @SoccerInsider

Public ticket sale for #USMNT friendly vs. Jamaica June 5 at DC's Audi Field began today.

Prices:

Behind south goal: $26

West sideline: $50-78

East upper deck: $33-50

Corners: $28-33

East club: $85-125

East/north field side: $150-325
Not bad, if I hadn't gotten Gold Cup Quarter final tickets for Philly I would have considered it. $70 for row 4 just inside the 18 and two games (one of which better be the US) seemed like a good deal.

RBL playing today and still no sight of Tyler Adams 🤢

I hope he is back for the gold cup. 
Not good. 

Unless I have some how missed it, I have not seen any word on how serious the injury is or how long he will be out.  He has missed a ton of games now so I think we are justified to worry about the Gold Cup.

• Sad
This upcoming documentary should be interesting for long time fans.  We are very likely to never see this happen again (3 players from the same small town all playing for the Nats at the same time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaR36CYjLVs
without looking at that, I'll assume Kearny.
I mentioned my GK in college went to HS with Meola- played GK Meola's senior year (Meola played forward) and they were buddies- came to a bunch of our games. 

:dropsnamedropmic:

Not good. 

Unless I have some how missed it, I have not seen any word on how serious the injury is or how long he will be out.  He has missed a ton of games now so I think we are justified to worry about the Gold Cup.
I asked a RB Leipzig journalist on Twitter about this and this is all I got back: 

It‘s told that there is no official timeline. Leipzig wont take any risks. Rangnick just said, adams wont return to team-Training before he is a 100p ercent ready.

*shrug*

Given the health and general low quality of our strikers, this is not the worst idea in the world

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/why-gregg-berhalter-should-call-up-andrew-wooten-usa-gold-cup-4124
American Soccer Now‏ @ClassicASN

American forward Andrew Wooten, 29, with a brace for Sandhausen today in a 3-2 win over Heidenheim. He now has 17 goals on the 2.Bundesliga season & 10 goals in his last 10 games to pull the club out of the relegation zone.

Another nice run by Pulisic draws a yellow card foul and Dortmund scores on free kick. 

Please let this version of Pulisic loose in the Gold Cup 

This is the best Pulisic has looked all year.  He was in rampant form in first half.

Gorgeous goal, drew 4 fouls including a yellow card that they scored from, setup a complete sitter with a low perfectly placed crossed that Diallo got all wrong and forced a diving save on another nice turn and shot in the box.

While he can never live up to the $70m fee, this is how we need him to play (and obviously stay healthy).

As expected this is a non competitive match for the U17's. They are up 4-0 at half and have about 15 corners.

The new coach clearly likes set pieces.  They create something different on almost every one.  3 of them scored today (one was more of a "oops" goal though as it was suppose to be a cross that went into the upper corner).

Busio scored 2 and one of them Giovinco himself would have been happy with.  Beautifully struck.

First goal: https://twitter.com/zlebmada/status/1124771842181480449

Second goal: https://twitter.com/zlebmada/status/1124772911368278018

Third goal: https://twitter.com/zlebmada/status/1124774561042575365

Fourth goal: https://twitter.com/zlebmada/status/1124777584900882432

Users who are viewing this thread