Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Premier

US Men's National Team

Reminder:

US vs Mexico tonight at 7:00pm ET for the U17 Final.

Game streaming on Concacaf Facebook and UDN.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Very impressive first half for the US vs Mexico.

The score is 1-1 but the US has dominated the game.  Busio has hit the post twice and Reyna cracked one off the cross bar.  Yow scored the goal.

Ironically, not only is the US dominating, the best goal for Mexico was setup perfectly by American Alvarez (edit: And also finished by an American)

The line breaking passes the US defense and deep midfielders play are fantastic.  They send Busio and Reyna away constantly in free space.   

Edited by NewlyRetired

1-1 was the final score.  Off to PK's.

Much more even half.  The US started the half really well but then look to have totally run out of gas.  Mexico was the slightly better side in the last 20 minutes and could have won it late with a header that went off the bar.

This is the second straight U17 final that went to pk's after a 1-1 draw between US and Mexico.

I demand to know who the hell these kids are and what they've done with the US U-17 team.

Is this typical for Reyna and Busio?  This is the first time I've seen them and both look great.

1 minute ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Is this typical for Reyna and Busio?  This is the first time I've seen them and both look great.

Busio is having a horrible night shooting.  Reyna's level is what we saw in the first half.  The second he has not been as big an effect.

I think both going 90 minutes just a couple of days ago is catching up with them.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Busio is having a horrible night shooting.  Reyna's level is what we saw in the first half.  The second he has not been as big an effect.

I think both going 90 minutes just a couple of days ago is catching up with them.

Eh.  I'm more interested in how easily they're making it look than the shot outcomes.  Reyna looks like everyone else is on a split-second tape delay and he's the only one seeing the game completely live.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Eh.  I'm more interested in how easily they're making it look than the shot outcomes.  Reyna looks like everyone else is on a split-second tape delay.

I only mentioned it because finishing is Busio's strength as a player.

• Like 1

US loses 2-1 on a second period goal by Mexico.

I don't want to be too results oriented because the way the play in the tournament was encouraging.   However, you hate to see complete dominance in the first not be rewarded.

Both teams will be off to the WC in Brazil later this year.

I was so focused on Alvarez's assist for Mexico that I totally blanked on the fact that the kid that scored for Mexico was also American.

• Sad 1

Future USMNT‏ @FutureUsmnt 3m3 minutes ago

4 players from the US-U17s have been named to the Concacaf U17 Championship Team of the Tournament: Kobe Hernandez-Foster (LA Galaxy) Danny Leyva (Seattle) Gianluca Busio (Sporting KC) Gio Reyna (Dortmund)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I only watch the second half. The US started well and then just seem to have their legs go out from under them. Busio in particular look fried, couldn't hit a shot was missing his traps and passing as well.to be honest both teams had a lot of unforced errors relative to what I'd seen so far. But at least in the second half Mexico look the more composed and controlled side. And the two goals were set up really nicely for Mexico.that said, the US had plenty of chances even in the second half and extra time and just look tired with their final touch . So it's heartening at least

• Like 1

Just now, El Floppo said:

I only watch the second half. The US started well and then just seem to have their legs go out from under them. Busio in particular look fried, couldn't hit a shot was missing his traps and passing as well.to be honest both teams had a lot of unforced errors relative to what I'd seen so far. But at least in the second half Mexico look the more composed and controlled side. And the two goals were set up really nicely for Mexico.that said, the US had plenty of chances even in the second half and extra time and just look tired with their final touch . So it's heartening at least

I wish you had a chance to see the first half.  I am not exaggerating when I say it was one of the best halves of soccer I have seen any US youth team play.  They sliced and diced Mexico at will.  It really should have been 3-1 at half at worst.

They had countless plays just like this one.

https://twitter.com/zlebmada/status/1129393163041423362

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

and then just seem to have their legs go out from under them. 

Part of it was Mexico getting shredded but they were MUCH more aggressive with their subs.  I thought Wicky was much to slow to get some fresh legs on when it was clear the team ran out of gas.

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Us rb got torched there. I think that was the kid who had just subbed in for armor too

This was the first half goal not the OT goal.

18 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

This was the first half goal not the OT goal.

ah- thanks. didn't watch the link obviously. 

but it was the just subbed in RBs RB kid who got torched on the game-losing goal, right?

what I saw in the 2nd half and et... at their best, the US played really quickly and decisively, exposing the Mex defense with seeming ease through quick smart passes and runs.

but once the shot wasn't on (and it was on quite a bit) they seemed to lack some finesse around the box, which did look a bit like tired legs. and yeah- the tired legs made some of that quick, decisive play fall apart before it began with lots of missed passes or touches.

hopefully the unforced errors disappear, and the finesse is there. because- tbh, all of that feels like more same-old same-old for the US in terms of where they typically succeed and fail.

29 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I wish you had a chance to see the first half.  I am not exaggerating when I say it was one of the best halves of soccer I have seen any US youth team play.  They sliced and diced Mexico at will.  It really should have been 3-1 at half at worst.

They had countless plays just like this one.

https://twitter.com/zlebmada/status/1129393163041423362

nice work by the good guys, but that is some truly shambolic defending. overcommit on the ball to reyna, nobody near busio, nobody following reyna or busio on their runs.

mex clearly righted the ship at half-time. while they still got opened up by the US- it wasn't because of poor defending like that (granted- some of the US's 2nd half best attacks were as a result of mex being sloppy with unforced errors on the ball and gifting the US easy counters).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

nice work by the good guys, but that is some truly shambolic defending. overcommit on the ball to reyna, nobody near busio, nobody following reyna or busio on their runs.

A lot of the problems may have been Alvarez himself.  As gifted as he is on the ball, he doesn't move defensively.  The Mexican coach was really smart to sub him off at halftime.  The Mexican midfield had much better shape and pressure after this change.

Unless Qatar pull the funding almost entirely, I don't see this as a good development path for Weah.

USMNT Watch‏ @USMNT_Watch

"I just need to go back to PSG and hopefully I can fulfill everything that the coaches and the club needs from me. My ambition was always to be a player for PSG. I love the club and I have been there for four years -- why not make it more?" -Tim Weah on wanting to return to PSG

6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Unless Qatar pull the funding almost entirely, I don't see this as a good development path for Weah.

USMNT Watch‏ @USMNT_Watch

"I just need to go back to PSG and hopefully I can fulfill everything that the coaches and the club needs from me. My ambition was always to be a player for PSG. I love the club and I have been there for four years -- why not make it more?" -Tim Weah on wanting to return to PSG

I took that comment as a carefully crafted cover-his-### and say-the-right things thing... aimed at the mother club but also at any suitors. If he stays, they'll probably loan him out again... not cracking the Celtic starting lineup or even get quality minutes under the new coach doesn't exactly lend hope that he'll now somehow break into the top players at PSG... unless- as you say- there's a big sell-off.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Tyler Adams back in the starting lineup today :)

Swag and Pulisic are also starting.  

RBL and Schalke games are meaningless but Dortmund still has an outside shot at the title.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 3

He'll probably start up front for the US at this point.

And I'd been hearing stuff about Boyd, and just figured it was the other one

Arthur Kogan‏ @TheRealArturK

Excited to see Tyler Boyd represent the USA in the Gold Cup. He's a 24-year-old winger with 5 goals, 4 assists in 1157 minutes this season for Ankaragücü in the Turkish Super Lig, a very solid standard. That's not something we have a lot of in the pool.

I assume he gets the nod over Baird who has not shown much at all, if this is true

=================

Paul Tenorio‏Verified account @PaulTenorio

Expect Boyd to be on the #USMNT’s Gold Cup roster.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I assume he gets the nod over Baird who has not shown much at all, if this is true

=================

Paul Tenorio‏Verified account @PaulTenorio

Expect Boyd to be on the #USMNT’s Gold Cup roster.

He's wiki-listed as 6'... So however he plays, at least nice to get a little size in there

Arthur Kogan‏ @TheRealArturK 29m29 minutes ago

THIS SEASON:

Christian Pulisic: 30 games, 7 goals, 6 assists, 1701 minutes. G/A every 131 minutes.

Willian: 55 games, 8 goals, 14 assists, 3514 minutes. G/A every 160 minutes.

Pedro: 51 games, 12 goals, 5 assists, 3028 minutes. G/A every 178 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Lots of info on Boyd here with some video clips

https://halfspaces.com/under-the-microscope-tyler-boyd/

he's got some giddyup. that goal was really well taken, and the first clip blasting into space (with the ball through to him just slightly underhit) is promising. has the pace, a bit of size, aggression in front of goal, and some fight to his game. didn't see any combination play- but that could've been circumstantial to that game.

the guy that wrote that writes as if he's never played- but, very cool to see the clips and generate discussion. 

so in a way, kinda like the other boyd.

3 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

<————- WONDO!!!!

if you are going to break the record, might as well do it in style.  Amazing stuff.

It is even more amazing when you consider he didn't really even break through until like 26-27.

I read a stat that Zardes has a massive 50 goal lead on Wondo at the same age and there is no way in hell Zardes is ever going to come close to this record.

• Like 1

Loved that second one...such smart, quick reactions for an old guy. Also loved seeing his subtle adjustments moving in the box on the 1st and 4th goals...especially the latter. Also love having to remember that miss vs Belgium.

U20 WC starts this week.  I found the beginning tv schedule on Fox's web site

FIFA U-20 World Cup

Mexico vs. Italy – Thurs 5/23 (FS2) 12:00 PM

Poland vs. Colombia – Thurs 5/23 (FS2) 2:30 PM

Qatar vs. Nigeria – Fri 5/24 (FS2) 12:00 PM

Ukraine vs. USA – Fri 5/24 (FS1) 2:30 PM

Uruguay vs. Norway – Fri 5/24 (FS2) 2:30 PM

Portugal vs. Korea Republic – Sat 5/25 (FS2) 9:30 AM

France vs. Saudi Arabia – Sat 5/25 (FS2) 12:00 PM

Argentina vs. South Africa – Sat 5/25 (FS2) 2:30 PM

Mexico vs. Japan – Sun 5/26 (FS1) 9:30 AM

• Thanks 2