Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Premier

US Men's National Team

5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The US has released the 40 man provisional roster for the Gold Cup.

https://twitter.com/HenryBushnell/status/1130481079247429633

Bill Hamid and Kellyn Acosta are clearly not any where near Berhalter's plans for this cycle.   To not even make a 40 man roster is pretty telling.

You guys see any other names that are surprising to be left off a 40 man roster?  (note: Brooks is out with injury)

Edited by NewlyRetired

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:
6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The US has released the 40 man provisional roster for the Gold Cup.

https://twitter.com/HenryBushnell/status/1130481079247429633

Bill Hamid and Kellyn Acosta are clearly not any where near Berhalter's plans for this cycle.   To not even make a 40 man roster is pretty telling.

You guys see any other names that are surprising to be left off a 40 man roster?

Julian Green 

Bobby Wood

Shaq Moore

Jesse Gonzalez (I'm a fan)

----

Brooks (injured)

Yedlin (injured)

----

Really surprised to see Garza.

• Like 2

Just now, Ned said:

Julian Green 

Bobby Wood

Shaq Moore

Jesse Gonzalez (I'm a fan)

----

Brooks (injured)

Yedlin (injured)

----

Really surprised to see Garza.

I really like Jesse Gonzalez too.  I am not a Guzan fan.

I was surprised to see Joe Gyau over Green.

I feel bad for Bobby but he had such a bad year and has been trending downward for a while now.  Still scary considering how weak the strikers are.

Garza's inclusion has to be a nod to the ever constant lack of LB's in the system.

Some one mentioned they would have rather seen EPB over Gonzo and I agree with that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

@Ned  @Ted Lange as your Bartender

the more I see of Aaronson, the more I like him.  He moves and thinks unlike most attacking American players we have seen at his age.

He’s basically been outplaying Marco Fabián at the 10 in the early part of the season.  Not many American pure 10s out there 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

He’s basically been outplaying Marco Fabián at the 10 in the early part of the season.  Not many American pure 10s out there 

I meant to post the highlight video for people to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7sw4d3ArEc

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

What does Lovitz have on Beerhalter that keeps him around?

A left foot that seems to work.  Other than that, I got nothing................

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

I just noticed Novakovich did not make the 40 man roster either, which is surprising in that of the 40 people on the roster, Jozy is the most likely to get hurt before the Cup starts.

this was the one that jumped out at me... but not in an earth-shattering way.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

What does Lovitz have on Beerhalter that keeps him around?

it's strange. decent player, but probalby like andy said- all about LBs. 

fwiw- I poo-pooed his switch after not knowing who he was. here's a highlight clip... looks really promising based on that. again-no idea how well he plays with others, but I like the acceleration, skill, and aggression.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Lots of upside here...still feels like we are a few difference makers short.  Hopefully we'll have a few more emerge over the next couple of years.

I agree. 

It is worth noting that some of the difference makers are on the U20 WC team and were not included in this roster.  I am very hopeful that players like Pomykal, Mendez, Weah. De La Fuente and others will have an effect on this cycle.

• Like 2

out of curiousity- what dual-nats have picked the US over MEX? the GK kid... anybody else?

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

out of curiousity- what dual-nats have picked the US over MEX? the GK kid... anybody else?

I think only two players have ever used the one time switch rule in this situation.  Gonzalez (keeper) switching from Mexico to US and Gonzalez (midfielder) switching from US to Mexico.

There are a ton playing for both US and Mexican youth national teams that may have to use this rule in the coming years if they want to switch to either US or Mexico.

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I think only two players have ever used the one time switch rule in this situation.  Gonzalez (keeper) switching from Mexico to US and Gonzalez (midfielder) switching from US to Mexico.

There are a ton playing for both US and Mexican youth national teams that may have to use this rule in the coming years if they want to switch to either US or Mexico.

I guess I'm asking if there are dual-nats who have picked the US instead of MEX before having to make the one-time switch. but that probably is impossible to state until they've actually declared as you say.

19 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I guess I'm asking if there are dual-nats who have picked the US instead of MEX before having to make the one-time switch. but that probably is impossible to state until they've actually declared as you say.

right.  Until any player is senior cap tied, they are still open to switch if they want so nothing is definite.

Only Gonzalez and Gonzalez are definite (and ironically neither of them have played in a cap tying event yet for their countries so the switch has a chance to back fire on both players).

Any thought on who the starting 11 are from that group.  My totally uneducated but what I would like to see as a fan thought below.  And yes i know it is going to be tough on ? to play RB and LB but the kid is amazing.

Steffen

?                                  CCV                                                    Miazga                                    ?

Adams

Pulisic                                                    McKennie                                            Arriola/Nagbe

Altidore                                                    Amon

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SwampDawg said:

Any thought on who the starting 11 are from that group.  My totally uneducated but what I would like to see as a fan thought below.  And yes i know it is going to be tough on ? to play RB and LB but the kid is amazing.

Steffen

?                                  CCV                                                    Miazga                                    ?

Adams

Pulisic                                                    McKennie                                            Arriola/Nagbe

The formation will depend on how much Berhalter is tied to the false RB.   If he stays consistent, he will play Adams at RB in any game he thinks the US is favored to hold a majority of the possession.  Which should be the case in the group stage.

So with that acknowledgement in place, I think he does something like this in the friendlies and group stage games.

.................................................Steffen

Adams................Miazga.........................CCV.....................Robinson

...............................................Trapp/Bradley

..Arriola..............................McKennie...............Pulisic/Nagbe.............Pulisic/Amon*/NewGuy

......................................Jozy

offensively that morph's to look more like the following

............Miazga.........................CCV.....................Robinson

....................Adams...........................Trapp/Bradley

..Arriola..............................McKennie...................Nagbe/Amon*/NewGuy............

......................................Jozy.....................Pulisic

*I am not confident he will make the final roster much less start but I am hopeful

Edited by NewlyRetired

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:
32 minutes ago, SwampDawg said:

Steffen

Adams

The formation will depend on how much Berhalter is tied to the false RB.   If he stays consistent, he will play Adams at RB in any game he thinks the US is favored to hold a majority of the possession.  Which should be the case in the group stage.

So with that acknowledgement in place, I think he does something like this in the friendlies and group stage games.

Adams................Miazga.........................CCV.....................Robinson

..Arriola..............................McKennie...............Pulisic/Nagbe.............Pulisic/Amon*/NewGuy

*I am not confident he will make the final roster much less start but I am hopeful

.........................................steffen

adams.....................mazda...........long.............robo/garza

.......................................caillou/trapp

cp.........................swag.........................nagbe................kiwi/lletget

............................................jozy

• Like 1

A player I first watched play back in 1995 has decided it is finally time to move on after this season is done.

A true warrior, US legend and first ballot hall of famer IMO

Thanks for the memories and good luck to DMB!   Hope you stay in the game after your well deserved retirement. 

https://twitter.com/DaMarcusBeasley/status/1130537710240841731

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

.........................................steffen

adams.....................mazda...........long.............robo/garza

.......................................caillou/trapp

cp.........................swag.........................nagbe................kiwi/lletget

............................................jozy

I like it.  I started CCV over Long because I read this morning Long has been having hamstring issues but if he is healthy I am fine with him starting.

Edited by NewlyRetired

2 minutes ago, Ned said:

####, just realized Saief isn't on the 40 either.  :kicksrock:

the loan has not gone well.  There is talk that Cincy might let him go this summer.  :(

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:
5 minutes ago, Ned said:

the loan has not gone well.  There is talk that Cincy might let him go this summer.  :(

:sadbanana: 

He had such a good start there too.  

4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:
8 minutes ago, Ned said:

crap. seemed soooo promising. 

I wonder whats going on over there with him.

29 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

crap. seemed soooo promising. 

I wonder whats going on over there with him.

I am sure he is not playing well but Cincy is a mess as a expansion side, already having changed coaches.  I am sure the losing atmosphere is not helping him settle in at all.

7 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I am sure he is not playing well but Cincy is a mess as a expansion side, already having changed coaches.  I am sure the losing atmosphere is not helping him settle in at all.

I thought there was always the chance they only have him for a few months anyway, or did I read that wrong?

The offensive situation in Cincy was definitely  not looking good even before they lost Adi for that length of time, and now it looks like they are just going to baptise Amaya by fire. I don’t always  really know what I am looking at, but it seems like when Saief gets possession/space, he looks  “good” for a brief flash, but the next pass/cross never goes anywhere productive ( could be a product of attacking players not making good runs). Maybe I’m a jinx, but whenever I watch Roland Lamah, for example, I get the impression that U6 kiddies doing helicopter spins or picking dandelions make better decisions.

• Like 1

this rumor seems to have some legs.  I wonder what Lampard thinks of Pulisic...

=======

Get Italian Football News‏ @_GIFN

Breaking | Gianluca di Marzio reporting that Chelsea have decided to hire Frank Lampard & replace Maurizio Sarri!

7 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

This looks pretty close to what I think we are going to see. My only caveats are I think Long plays over CCV (assuming health) and I think Robinson get replaced by Ream. That left back spot isn't really a left back in Berhalter's system - more of a center back when we have the ball and plays defense at LB when we don't.

Edited by Scienceguy
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Scienceguy said:

Also, here's another test balloon for an article I'm going to push out tomorrow night. Any thoughts/suggestions before I do it?

https://halfspaces.com/weird-player-comps-for-the-u17-wc-squad/

nice piece.  Weird but nice.  I would have stuck entirely with soccer comparisons but I get where you were going.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:55 PM, NewlyRetired said:

It looks like Carlos Vela turned down a call up to the Mexican team for upcoming friendlies, claiming Club and Family come first.  Vela is playing at an extraordinary level right now. 

I assume he will still be at the Gold Cup but this bares watching.

Vela, Chicharito, Herrera and Tecatito will all miss the Gold Cup this summer.

Lainez with the U20's and not on the roster either.

We could see lots of new names for Mexico this summer.

8 hours ago, Scienceguy said:

Also, here's another test balloon for an article I'm going to push out tomorrow night. Any thoughts/suggestions before I do it?

https://halfspaces.com/weird-player-comps-for-the-u17-wc-squad/

I've never enjoyed the whole comp thing regardless of the sport.  It's too easy to fall down the rabbit hole trying to force the new players into a box.  I'd rather look at them for their unique skillsets and leave it at that.

From Scuffed's twitter:

==========

Flemish newspaper Het Nieuwsblad:

“Club Brugge conducts far-reaching negotiations with Jonathan Amon, a flank player from the Danish Nordsjaelland. According to well-informed sources the Club wants to pay around 3 million euros for the American.”