What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

Excellent!

Also enjoyed the linked article on jozy vs zardoz- much more in depth, clear and well thought-out and written explanation of the stuff I've been seeing and trying to spit out.  I don't know that I'd say Jozy won't or doesn't make those kinds of runs- but zardoz certainly thrives on the slicing diagonal more than jozy.
Zardes is certainly more active than Jozy.  That really is about all you can say in his favor imo.

Transferchanger‏Verified account @TransferChanger

Tottenham have made eight players available for sale: • Kieran Trippier • Serge Aurier • Cameron Carter-Vickers • Danny Rose • Victor Wanyama • Joshua Onomah • Marcus Edwards • Vincent Janssen

TransferChanger

Tottenham have made eight players available for sale:

• • Kieran Trippier
  • • Serge Aurier
  • Cameron Carter-Vickers
  • • Danny Rose
  • • Victor Wanyama
  • • Joshua Onomah
  • • Marcus Edwards
  • • Vincent Janssen
  •  

Last edited by a moderator:
impress young man, impress!

=================

AFC Ajax‏Verified account @AFCAjax

Starting XI vs. Anderlecht! Varela; Dest, Veltman, Magallán, Pierie; Eiting, Ekkelenkamp, De Wit; Lang, Traoré, Danilo.

Reading FC‏Verified account @ReadingFC

29’ GOAL! Great play from #Royals as Novakovich finds himself with space in the box, cuts in to give Olise an easy finish bottom corner

Yeah, still preseason, but this is a decent step up in terms of opponent quality.
I am pretty happy. 

All I can ask is that a US player gets a few chances.  This is now his second start of the preseason.  I don't follow Ajax well enough but I assume the full squad is not available yet, which is why he might be getting a shot but that matters not.  These windows are fairly small for players.  You either take your opportunities well or you don't.   

Even if it is just preseason, his play in these games could determine if he makes the main squad this year or returns to Jong Ajax.

This player appears to be sneaking up on a lot of fans like myself.  He is just 18.  He moved from DC United's academy to Germany last season where he played very well with the U19's.   The hope is that he would be promoted to at least Wolfsburg 2, so this news below is promising.

Future USMNT‏ @FutureUsmnt

Michael Edwards gets the start for Wolfsburg in a first team friendly. He was also not subbed out at halftime. Wolfsburg appear to be giving him a serious look

Wolfsburg appear to be giving him a serious look
This might be part of the virtuous cycle we were talking about a couple days ago.  Pulisic and McKennie and, especially, Adams -- who went from MLS straight into a good Bundesliga side and made them better -- are opening doors for everyone else to be taken seriously and maybe even seen with a small bit of a halo.

our babies keep getting chances!  This is so cool to see continue this year.

16 year old Danny Leyva gets another start for Seattle today.

our babies keep getting chances!  This is so cool to see continue this year.

16 year old Danny Leyva gets another start for Seattle today.
damn it, I am having a bad day reading rosters :)   I was so excited to see Leyva starting that I missed that Ocampo-Chavez is starting for Seattle as well.

I know every one complains about MLS playing through the Gold Cup, but it does open up some chances for players that normally would not be there.

Tata on Pulisic: "I think he is one of the great emerging players in world football right now. He's one of the most unbalancing players in recent times. What I think is that if we don't give him special attention and press him, it'll be bad for us."

Tata on Pulisic: "I think he is one of the great emerging players in world football right now. He's one of the most unbalancing players in recent times. What I think is that if we don't give him special attention and press him, it'll be bad for us."
“In other words, we are going to pound him.”

Ajax Youth Academy‏ @AjaxYA

• Sergino Dest - Interview:

“I will try to make the last step this season. That’s something very important to me. I am at an age where you have to show the best of yourself.”

“I have spoken to several coaches and they said that I’m on the right track and have to continue my development. I’m working hard for it and will do my best, so I hope they will keep me with the first team.”

“My goal this season is to make my first team debut. If the opportunity is there I want to play more matches as well. I want to show the best of myself. In the U21’s or in the first team.

“When I do that, this could be my season. The first weeks with the first team were great as well, beautiful experiences. Hopefully there’s more to come.”

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Ok, the easier game is out of the way, now on to the tougher game.

Do you guys think we see the same lineup tonight or a tweak?

Assuming everyone is healthy, I guess the main questions are Boyd or Morris, and who Berhalter settled on for the CB's who keep changing.

With Mexico's speed of play and likely higher possession tonight, I might lean towards Miazga and Long.

I don't know how Berhalter can bottle the first 15 minutes against Jamaica but we will need to see that level for longer periods tonight.

In the end though, it may simply come down to Mexico's finishing.  If it stays bad, I think the US wins, if they convert their half sitters, US will lose.

I offered to take my kids to Chicago for the game tonight. No interest. Damn. 

We're going to Cedar Point instead. Double damn. 

• Sad
Ok, the easier game is out of the way, now on to the tougher game.

Do you guys think we see the same lineup tonight or a tweak?

Assuming everyone is healthy, I guess the main questions are Boyd or Morris, and who Berhalter settled on for the CB's who keep changing.

With Mexico's speed of play and likely higher possession tonight, I might lean towards Miazga and Long.

I don't know how Berhalter can bottle the first 15 minutes against Jamaica but we will need to see that level for longer periods tonight.

In the end though, it may simply come down to Mexico's finishing.  If it stays bad, I think the US wins, if they convert their half sitters, US will lose.
I think he goes Jozy over zardoz, to maximize control. Morris over Boyd to help defensively. Ream to make us squirm. Agree about long and mazda. 

Might even go 4-5-1, with swag dropped in with Caillou, CP ahead of them given room to roam to find the ball, nips left, Morris right, jozy up top.

I think he goes Jozy over zardoz, to maximize control. Morris over Boyd to help defensively. Ream to make us squirm. Agree about long and mazda. 

Might even go 4-5-1, with swag dropped in with Caillou, CP ahead of them given room to roam to find the ball, nips left, Morris right, jozy up top.
I forgot about RB too, he keeps changing that up as well.

What an awesome day for the sport.

There is an MLS game with 70k people in the stands on national tv and I can't find the time to watch it because I am trying to not have the wife divorce me today with so many games to watch...

The beautiful game, my how you have grown in the US :)

There is an MLS game with 70k people in the stands on national tv and I can't find the time to watch it because I am trying to not have the wife divorce me today with so many games to watch...

Amen brother. We did breakfast in our driveway with the neighbors this morning to watch the final. They will be back in a bit for the mid afternoon game, and we will do deep fried chicken wings on the back patio with a tv for that game and the men’s game.

Football Day in America!

USMNT Only‏ @usmntonly

"Giovanni Reyna has all the prerequisites. He's very complete in what he exudes as a player. He has a fine technique, a good speed, a good game overview - there are a lot of good facilities laid." - Michael Skibbe (BVB U19's Manager)

• Smile
I’m pretty sure I read or heard somewhere that the Zimmerman/Lima switch was fatigue related. I won’t be surprised to see at least Z back out there tonight. 

Goals need to be bigger for more scoring.

Do we have a decent chance ?
Neither team is at full strength.

Mexico will have the home field advantage

The US has been progressing in the tournament but has not looked as good as Mexico has (outside of the first 15 minutes against Jamaica).  But Mexico has had a poor tournament converting their chances.

Mexico is favored but if the US win, it would at best be a mild upset.

Users who are viewing this thread