What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (12 Viewers)

I saw a tweet before the game that the US team had the higher transfer value, but it was all centered in CP and Swag.  CP was the best player on the field.  Swag wasn’t and he didn’t track back on the goal.  Y’all are crapping in Bradley, but he played his part fine.  

Jozy also had a fantastic game in holdup and as a target.  The interplay with him and CP was top-notch and gave Mexico’s CBs fits all night.  Nips and Morris let them down though.

In any case, this is far from the end of the world. We have a like for like in Adams.

and more Cannon please.
Hard to complain about Nips in the attack when he was covering for Bradley in defense all night.

Hard to complain about Nips in the attack when he was covering for Bradley in defense all night.
Yup.  You can't expect your wingers to have much left offensively when they are in your own box on defense.

This is exactly why Pizarro was useless in the first half and then was able to take over the game in the second.  Once he dropped the need to follow Cannon, all his efforts were put into finding the pockets between Ream and Bradley and turning the team inside out.

Now after saying this, I also think we need to upgrade Nips.  He seems like the kind of guy that should be coming off the bench to provide energy more than a 90 minute guy every game.

Guzan

Evans, Alvarado, Brooks, F. Johnson

Beckerman, Bradley

Zardes, Dempsey, Bedoya

Johannsson

Starters for USA-Jamaica in our loss last gold cup semifinal. I feel optimistic that we are ahead of that schedule in comparison.
Great post.

If you remember, the 2015 Gold Cup was the first time a lot of us got very scared that the DNA was all wrong on the team and that there were no young players to build on for the cycle.  It was really a harbinger.

I don't have that feeling today.   We have the usual situation where our three best players are only 20, and then lots of dead space(due to the lost generation we have talked about), and then some vets that Berhalter needs as binkies.

I am fairly confident that we have so many young players up and coming that the dead space problem will take care of itself.  If Berhalter is brave enough, we should have the youngest team ever once qualifying starts.

@Scienceguyratings are up.  Good article as always, keeping the balance of what looked good and what needs to be improved on.

https://halfspaces.com/play-it-again-sam-usa-vs-mexico-gold-cup-7-7-19/
That aligns with what I saw as well.  Long and Cannon stood out as having a good game with Jozy and CP next best IMO.  Bradley sucked badly and no one else was exceptionally good or bad IMO.  Maybe the grade for McKennie was too low, while he was at fault for the goal, there were a few other chances for MEX that didn't pan out where he wasn't at fault.  Thought Ream was worse than he.

That aligns with what I saw as well.  Long and Cannon stood out as having a good game with Jozy and CP next best IMO.  Bradley sucked badly and no one else was exceptionally good or bad IMO.  Maybe the grade for McKennie was too low, while he was at fault for the goal, there were a few other chances for MEX that didn't pan out where he wasn't at fault.  Thought Ream was worse than he.
his statistical method of grading is both simple and unique.  Time and again the ratings very much pass the eye test.

What these type of grades don't really show is what happens when a player tires and becomes less involved.  Jozy's inability to provide the same type of outlet in the second half like he did with his first half movements were an important part of why the US struggled in that time period to get out of its end when Mexico took over the game.

Guzan

Evans, Alvarado, Brooks, F. Johnson

Beckerman, Bradley

Zardes, Dempsey, Bedoya

Johannsson

Starters for USA-Jamaica in our loss last gold cup semifinal. I feel optimistic that we are ahead of that schedule in comparison.
that's great to see- thanks.

fab was decent at LB... so there was that at least. Brooks has gotten better... when healthy. and these were the days caillou was the guy having to provide cover to the slow of foot DCM- two of the most tactically sound players we've had, but rasta was done by then. 

I assume jozy was hurt for this. deuce had already slowed down here too- lots of walking around IIRC, but still magic. nice to see bacon in there... what could have been if he'd been able to stay remotely healthy. I think I saw his name pop up last season in germany... still trying to get in there- good for him.

Great post.

If you remember, the 2015 Gold Cup was the first time a lot of us got very scared that the DNA was all wrong on the team and that there were no young players to build on for the cycle.  It was really a harbinger.

I don't have that feeling today.   We have the usual situation where our three best players are only 20, and then lots of dead space(due to the lost generation we have talked about), and then some vets that Berhalter needs as binkies.

I am fairly confident that we have so many young players up and coming that the dead space problem will take care of itself.  If Berhalter is brave enough, we should have the youngest team ever once qualifying starts.
I'm still disappointed that what going in looked like a game the US should have won gvien the players out there didn't happen. it is helpful and heartening to be reminded by you guys and see so many quality young guys coming up. also helpful to reminded of some of the good stuff we did see last night. 

. nice to see bacon in there... what could have been if he'd been able to stay remotely healthy. I think I saw his name pop up last season in germany... still trying to get in there- good for him.
it had nothing to do with US Soccer but Bacon is yet another guy caught up in the lost generation gap.  He is 28 right now.  Like Wood, we would have thought that he would be part of the US depth at striker at his age.

He is out of contract now looking for a team.

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
My son and I had a great time at the game, but of course were disappointed by the result. As I think everyone would agree, the US coulda shoulda been up at least a goal to none at halftime.  As many are saying, Cannon definitely looks like he belongs in a  big game at this level.  Our energy and aggressiveness the first half was a thing to behold, and I think we all knew it could not continue.  Jozy was gassed early. He looks like a (helmet) football player and seems to have the same stamina, hauling that huge body up and down the field.  He shot his entire load before halftime.  I knew that meant Zardes and am fine with that, but the other subs were baffling and disappointing.

As we already knew, as great of a city as Chicago is, it can never host a US-Mexico game when we have control of the venue.  I think calling it 80% Mexico is probably pretty generous to the meager US supporters in attendance.  I even saw a smattering of Green shirts in the Outlaws section - how TF does that happen?  That would not be acceptable or allowed for just about any other country in the world playing at home against their biggest rival.  The "official" Outlaws pre-game party was a complete non-event. Every chant or cheer the US fans attempted was immediately shouted down by loud Mexico chants coming from every section in the stadium.  We had really great seats, and our section was 90-95% Mexico.  We did not have any problems with any Mexico supporters though. They were having a blast from beginning to end and it was all in good fun.  

Now that every one will be turning their attention back to figuring out their own club situations, this is probably a good time for a deep dive to see where we are and where we need to go position by position.  I will spread them out in multiple posts so that it does not become a wall of text.

Any comments/additions/corrections are more than welcomed.

=====================

Goalkeeper:

Steffen is the clear #1.   He was solid in the Gold Cup but was not tested a lot.  For example even though Mexico had a ton of shots, that had a smaller xG than the US did yesterday.   His defense played so well all tournament we did not get to see much of his shot stopping ability, outside of the one great save against Curacao.

His distribution, while nerve wracking at times, was over all pretty good.  He continually found the heads of both Jozy and Morris in the first half yesterday.  That was working well for the US.  Playing short balls from the back has not worked as well.

The only real issue is that we have no defined #2.   It could be anyone.  There are lots of decent choices so I don't have any issues with quality but more from a lack of international experience.  I guess in a dire emergency there is always Guzan but it would be nice if one other young keeper developed.

Steffen has had a very good track record of staying healthy but a bigger concern is making sure he gets playing time this year.  As we know, a goalkeeper is the most digital of all positions for playing time. You either get a ton or you get none.   Moving to a brand new team certainly bares watching this fall.  We don't want our #1 not playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right Back:

I could make an argument that this is our deepest position on the field.

*Lima is more than serviceable against mid tier Concacaf opponents.  Average defender but surprisingly good going forward and may be the best natural crosser of the ball.

*Yedlin is not an FFA favorite but he holds down a starting spot in the EPL where many other American's have failed to.  We all know what he brings and what he lacks.  There is nothing more to learn here since he is past the stage of changing.

*Cannon was the bright surprise of the Gold Cup.   His play from Dallas started to translate nicely on the international stage.  What is really promising is that as the competition got better, so did Cannon.  He is only 21 so there could be a bright future here.

*Dest is one of the best prospects from the U20 team.  He is trying to break into a fantastic Ajax side (this is the team that made the Champions League semi finals this year).  It is a huge hurdle but if he does so, I think he immediately has to leap frog Lima at the very least in the depth chart.  He is only 18 so there is still lots that can happen in either direction.

Overall, we really have no worries here.  This is the best of all situations because you have young, hungry players competing against each other.  Let the best man win.   As an aside, this is what you would like to see ideally in at least 7-8 positions on the field in terms of competition.   The US is no where near that depth yet.

Right Back:

I could make an argument that this is our deepest position on the field.

*Lima is more than serviceable against mid tier Concacaf opponents.  Average defender but surprisingly good going forward and may be the best natural crosser of the ball.

*Yedlin is not an FFA favorite but he holds down a starting spot in the EPL where many other American's have failed to.  We all know what he brings and what he lacks.  There is nothing more to learn here since he is past the stage of changing.

*Cannon was the bright surprise of the Gold Cup.   His play from Dallas started to translate nicely on the international stage.  What is really promising is that as the competition got better, so did Cannon.  He is only 21 so there could be a bright future here.

*Dest is one of the best prospects from the U20 team.  He is trying to break into a fantastic Ajax side (this is the team that made the Champions League semi finals this year).  It is a huge hurdle but if he does so, I think he immediately has to leap frog Lima at the very least in the depth chart.  He is only 18 so there is still lots that can happen in either direction.

Overall, we really have no worries here.  This is the best of all situations because you have young, hungry players competing against each other.  Let the best man win.   As an aside, this is what you would like to see ideally in at least 7-8 positions on the field in terms of competition.   The US is no where near that depth yet.
Do any of them play LB at the club level?  We really, really need a LB.  Ugh...    :wall:  

:deadhorse:

feels like i have been watching the same disappointing team that cant win a big game for my whole life 

You have been. 

It's not easy to be a fan of this team, but if you're 20 years old or so, you've seen this team win 5 gold cup finals and multiple huge games against Mexico and other rivals.  The only thing bigger than that is the world cup.  
what are "big games" to you two? 

as Clete says- they've won the Gold Cup a handful of times, including some nice wins over mexico, gotten into the knockout stages of the WC (including that magic run in 02), beaten just about every good team in the world in friendlies. they're not going to win every game. and chances are, they're going to lose more than win against Mexico. take a breath, settle in and realize this isn't a top 20 team and never really has been, in spite of performing somewhere in that range. but they're consistently one of many 20-40 teams that can poke their heads above water and outpunch their abilities.

hopefully this group of young players born out of the academies will continue to germinate and grow into something that propels us consistently into that top 20, where there's always a chance given the right combo of players and the ball/seeding landing the right way to make noise more regularly and deeper in the WC. outside of that, really, it's about beating mexico. and hopefully they can turn that around soon- it's been a rut that would be nice to break out of for the fans.

Left Back:

Dear god, really, I have to write this?  I don't even know where to start.

*Berhalter likes Ream.  Ream is typically a good passer but he is NOT a LB.   The lack of width he gives allows other coaches to too easily counter.  Ream is also not young.  He will be 32 this fall.  He is not getting any faster, that is for sure.

*Robinson continues to play well at the club level, but has been up and down for the US.  His poor play in the friendlies killed his chances at the Gold Cup.  He is the exact opposite of Ream.  He provides speed and width and attacking instinct on the left but does not possess good technical skills and may not be an international one on one defender.  Like Cannon though, he is relatively young at 21 so with the incredible lack of choices, I hope Berhalter does not give up on him.

*Gloster is the best LB from the U20's.  He had a very solid World Cup and has had numerous teams kicking Hannover's tires to see if they will sell him.  But we can't get any real read on him until he becomes a full time pro, which should happen this season some where.  He is a bit of a mix in skills between Ream and Robinson.

Read the last part of the right back section.  Flip it 180 degrees and place it here..........

Center Backs:

I feel really good here even acknowledging Brooks is a health risk.

* Brooks.  The most advanced of the bunch at club level.  He is the second highest sold US player ever behind Pulisic and is an automatic every game starter in the Bundesliga when healthy.  My real hope here is that Berhalter will look at Brooks and realize he is the veteran influence the team needs and hopefully that will remove some of his binky needs.  He is just about to enter his prime at 26.  If he stays healthy, we have a guy that fits the system perfectly.

* Long.  No one needs to hear any more about his rise from obscurity (but if you don't know it, ask, it is really cool).  By far the fastest US CB.   Solid one on one defender, decent in the air and can play in both CB spots.  I don't know if he is a starter but he is very likely to be on every roster when healthy.   It would be cool if he could make the jump to a bigger league but I fear that window may close for him soon.

* Miazga.   Like Long, he can play both CB spots.  Has enough of the ##### gene that we need in Concacaf.   He seems a lock for every roster as well.    At 23 I would prefer he not have to be an on loan player all the time, but it is what it is as long as he is with Chelsea.   He is young enough that we could still see some development, which hopefully will focus on his distribution.

* Zimmerman.  One of my personal favorite because he is the second best passer out of the back.  I don't know what his ceiling is but he has continued to progress into now a top CB in MLS with the best team in the league.  Similar to Long though, I wonder if his window will close soon on a move to a bigger league.

*CCV - I think the old man is going to serve well as a injury replacement to the top 4.   He is never going to be smooth on the ball, but his style actually is decent against the smaller Concacaf opponents.   He continues to play well where ever he is loaned to and is much younger than both Long and Zimmerman.

*Richards - Probably too young for this cycle, but he was so damn good for the U20's, it is impossible to leave him off.   Like Miazga before him, signing with a top 15 club in the world club is going to likely necessitate loans.

Solid group of players, excellent ages, some diversity in what leagues they play in.  Lots for Berhalter to choose from.   I don't think we have any worries here for this cycle.

I wonder is Berhalter’s reliance on vets has to do with job security.  His coaching tenure would have been derailed by a poor showing at the GC.  Now that his start wasn’t an abject failure he has more leash to experiment which will mean more young guys and less Ream, Gonzo and Bradley. 

At least that’s what I hope what went into his decision making. 

I wonder is Berhalter’s reliance on vets has to do with job security.  His coaching tenure would have been derailed by a poor showing at the GC.  Now that his start wasn’t an abject failure he has more leash to experiment which will mean more young guys and less Ream, Gonzo and Bradley. 

At least that’s what I hope what went into his decision making. 
I think we can all make up reasons to rationalize GG and his use of vets, specifically Bradley.  However, there needs to be a concerted effort to integrate more young players into key roles in the coming year.  Specifically, Bradley's replacement needs to be getting the start while Bradley is sitting on the bench and helping the kid in practice.  Also, if the replacement is not Adams, then the new player better be damn good and not Will ####### Trapp.  

Central Midfielders:

While not quite there yet, I believe this will be the strength of the US this cycle.    I would preferably want to see the first 3 guys listed below on the field together.   The combined work rate, ball winning, and two way play should allow the US an unprecedented ability to boss games in the midfield.   I don't care that all 3 guys are 20 or younger.  Get them on the field together.

* Adams:  The class of the group.   Was fantastic in MLS as a baby but always had a tinge that followed him of "well it is only MLS so how good can he really be?".   In his first press conference in Germany, his new coach all but fellated him and now we now why.  He walked directly into one of the best teams in Germany and they got better.  He was constantly making Bundesliga team of the weeks and was voted the best winter signing by any team in Germany after the season was over.  It simply could not have gone better outside of the injury he picked up late in the season.      Now we get to watch again this fall to see if he translates to Champions League play. 

* McKennie:  So much to like and so much he can still improve on.   We saw it all on display at the Gold Cup, both the good and the bad.  We really need to see his new club coach find one position for him to play so that he can develop properly.   He is close but still needs the rough edges smoothed out.  At only 20 he already effects games like only a small handful of guys ever have for the US at his age.   His friendship and deep knowledge of Adams since they were just barely  teenagers is going to play out nicely over the next decade as I think they will have a chance to have a natural understanding that no two US midfielders have ever had together.

* Pomykal: I hesitated at first as to whether to include him since he has not yet been capped but he is too good to leave off.  His development the last 12 months has been off the charts.  I don't know whether the "talk" Tab had with him was really the impetus for the growth or not but I don't care.  Compared to players his own age, he might already be the best two way player in MLS history.   It won't be long before he goes to Europe, be it this summer or in the winter but it is coming.   Then we hope he translates quickly like Adams did.

* Holmes: This was a sneaky injury that I think effected the quality of the US team.  I know we have not seen a lot of him but he has played very well in the Championship and was an important part of a team that almost got promoted.  I think he instantly improves the US depth as I think he is better two way player than both Roldan and Mihailovic.   

* Bradley: There is not much to say here that has not already been said.  If every one is healthy, he should not be on the field.  If Berhalter requires him for locker room stuff I guess that is fine but I really don't want to see a 32 year old on the down side of his career taking minutes away from any of our young players who will effect the next two cycles.

* Trapp:  Pomykal is 7 years younger, and better both offensively and defensively even though they play slightly different positions.   Outside of a large amount of injuries, he will have a hard time making a roster.

I feel really good about this group for the next two cycles.

I basically predicted this Bradley performance and called for new blood before this Mexico match.  Not a pat on the back, but just pointing out that it was rather predictable.

Let's get him out of there ASAP.

Also, we could have easily had a favorable result that game...just didn't put away some easy finishes.

It's not easy to be a fan of this team, but if you're 20 years old or so, you've seen this team win 5 gold cup finals and multiple huge games against Mexico and other rivals.  The only thing bigger than that is the world cup.  
fair enough.

i dont watch every game.  not even close.  but whenever i do watch i see more of the same.  

As we already knew, as great of a city as Chicago is, it can never host a US-Mexico game when we have control of the venue.  I think calling it 80% Mexico is probably pretty generous to the meager US supporters in attendance.
nobody really wants to talk about this because it sounds like an excuse but it really is just a pure fact now on how it effects games.

The US has only beaten Mexico once when Mexico has had the home field advantage (be that advantage in the US or in Mexico).  The US's results against Mexico improve SIGNIFICANTLY when the US has a real home field advantage.  This is not a coincidence.

This is one of the big reasons why Mexico is so dominant in the US Mexico games in the Gold Cup but not as dominant in the WCQiers.    Mexico always has home field advantage in the Gold Cup.   That is significantly limited in WCQing games played in the US.

No one is factoring this into last nights game but the effect on results does not lie.

Wingers/Attacking Midfielders:

Grouping these together as I don't know where Pulisic will end up

* Pulisic:  Not much to say.  If healthy he is the first name on the roster.   We may all need to brace ourselves for the chance that he may not get a ton of minutes at Chelsea but that is another issue.  I am hopeful that worst case he plays 1000-1200 minutes this year across all competitions.    Even if he does not play a single minute he is still an automatic starter as the gap between him and everyone else offensively is cavernous

* Nips: He seems like a good guy to roster.  He is going to run his nuts off every game.  The kind of guy that is going to be important when we go into central America.  I don't think he should be a starter though and would love to see some one eclipse him for the starting role during qualifying.

* Morris:  I honestly don't know if today, he would have made our U20 team.   He may hang on for a while until the babies grow but there is a lot of talent coming up out wide.  It is just a matter of time before he is no longer in the program.

* Boyd: What an enigma.   He is probably the biggest head scratcher right now as to why he got buried.   Many players in the Gold Cup had a bad game (as Boyd did) but none got buried the way Boyd did.  I have been searching for whether he was hurt but I got nothing.   He is a better offensive player than both Morris and Nips combined.  As Floppo mentioned his defensive work rate is very low.   But if you have three defensive monsters on the field like Adams, Swag and Pomykal, we might be able to sustain his lack of defensive prowess.    One of many players we will be watching this fall as he is almost certain to be moving.  Hopefully his Gold Cup benching does not hurt a potential move.

* Weah: Probably the best player to project an upgrade with.  At times he look brilliant at the U20 WC.  He can set players up and has his own nose for goal.  He is far from complete though.  There are so many players with an important move coming up but none maybe bigger than Weah's move to Lille.   Getting on the field consistently will be so important for his development.

* Reyna: He is the only current U17 player I am putting on my lists because he is obviously special.   Pulisic, Weston and Sargent all entered Germany's youth ranks and moved up very quickly to the first team.  If Reyna has a strong year at the U19 level at Dortmund, he could be in line for a move to the big club next summer.  I normally would have ignored him for a while but when three American's very recently made it through the ranks, I have some hope he can do the same.

El Floppo said:
Nagbe done?
Not sure.   

I tended to stay away from established players that Berhalter has not called in. (Keylyn Acosta is in a similar position).  I figure if he has not called them yet, he may not like their game, even if I do.

So I tried to limit my bias's to the younger players since I don't have an indication yet as to how Berhalter views them.

NewlyRetired said:

* Pulisic:  Not much to say.  If healthy he is the first name on the roster.   We may all need to brace ourselves for the chance that he may not get a ton of minutes at Chelsea but that is another issue.  I am hopeful that worst case he plays 1000-1200 minutes this year across all competitions.    Even if he does not play a single minute he is still an automatic starter as the gap between him and everyone else offensively is cavernous

* Nips: He seems like a good guy to roster.  He is going to run his nuts off every game.  The kind of guy that is going to be important when we go into central America.  I don't think he should be a starter though and would love to see some one eclipse him for the starting role during qualifying.

* Morris:  I honestly don't know if today, he would have made our U20 team.   He may hang on for a while until the babies grow but there is a lot of talent coming up out wide.  It is just a matter of time before he is no longer in the program.

* Boyd: What an enigma.   He is probably the biggest head scratcher right now as to why he got buried.   Many players in the Gold Cup had a bad game (as Boyd did) but none got buried the way Boyd did.  I have been searching for whether he was hurt but I got nothing.   He is a better offensive player than both Morris and Nips combined.  As Floppo mentioned his defensive work rate is very low.   But if you have three defensive monsters on the field like Adams, Swag and Pomykal, we might be able to sustain his lack of defensive prowess.    One of many players we will be watching this fall as he is almost certain to be moving.  Hopefully his Gold Cup benching does not hurt a potential move.

* Weah: Probably the best player to project an upgrade with.  At times he look brilliant at the U20 WC.  He can set players up and has his own nose for goal.  He is far from complete though.  There are so many players with an important move coming up but none maybe bigger than Weah's move to Lille.   Getting on the field consistently will be so important for his development.

* Reyna: He is the only current U17 player I am putting on my lists because he is obviously special.   Pulisic, Weston and Sargent all entered Germany's youth ranks and moved up very quickly to the first team.  If Reyna has a strong year at the U19 level at Dortmund, he could be in line for a move to the big club next summer.  I normally would have ignored him for a while but when three American's very recently made it through the ranks, I have some hope he can do the same.
This is a pretty depressing group really.  Obviously Pulisic is the best player on the team and likely in all of CONCACAF, but outside of him, it's really grim.  I have hopes for Reyna and Weah too, but if they don't develop before 2022, we're really going to struggle in the attacking third, because I think your striker group will be even uglier than this.

CletiusMaximus said:
We did not have any problems with any Mexico supporters though. They were having a blast from beginning to end and it was all in good fun.
I think the issues really come up if you are being a real #######, or if you start being all "big man" to a group of dudes.  Just not a good idea in any situation with that many young men.

NewlyRetired said:

Amon done?

NewlyRetired said:
nobody really wants to talk about this because it sounds like an excuse but it really is just a pure fact now on how it effects games.

The US has only beaten Mexico once when Mexico has had the home field advantage (be that advantage in the US or in Mexico).  The US's results against Mexico improve SIGNIFICANTLY when the US has a real home field advantage.  This is not a coincidence.

This is one of the big reasons why Mexico is so dominant in the US Mexico games in the Gold Cup but not as dominant in the WCQiers.    Mexico always has home field advantage in the Gold Cup.   That is significantly limited in WCQing games played in the US.

No one is factoring this into last nights game but the effect on results does not lie.
I agree it sucks to make excuses, but in my experience soccer players really feed off the energy of a home crown urging them on, perhaps more than any other sport I've attended (I think rugby is similar).  The Mexican supporters all knew they were lucky to get to halftime with a scoreless draw.  Those missed chances in the first half were back-breakers.  That momentum, confidence and crowd energy can be so important.

Striker:

Yeah not good.   By far and away our top player is built like an NFL line backer with the same amount of wind and then nothing......

Altidore: By default he has to start.  When fresh and healthy, he can provide a solid outlet out of the back, occupy the CB's, play good balls and normally is a good finisher.   The main problem is that we know he is not going to stay healthy (he never does) and that Berhalter only trusts him to go 60 minutes, which given our depth is awful right now.

Zardes: Berhalter likes him more than fans do.   If the rest of the supporting cast was excellent (say slightly below Pulisic) he might be functional but as we know it isn't, which makes Zardes look even worse since he depends on the service of others to produce.

After these two, it goes down hill fast.  You want to know who the two highest scoring American forwards are in MLS?  Brace yourself.    CJ Sappong and Wondolowski.   Yeah, I kid you not.

I think we need to put our hopes on the kids, specifically Soto(not a fan) and Sargent, both of whom are out of the club youth ranks but not yet getting a ton of time in the first teams.  I was really hoping the ageless Claudio Pizzaro would finally retire this summer at 40 but he is coming back and will likely be taking minutes from Sargent.

We could also hope for a resurrection project like Bacon or Wood but I find those low odds of succeeding. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Looks like Berhalter will soon be losing his most trusted assistant as The Athletic is reporting that MLS expansion side Austin FC will be hiring Josh Wolff as their first head coach.

NewlyRetired said:

I think I short changed Llteget here.....he should probably factor in some where.

Striker:

Yeah not good.   By far and away our top player is built like an NFL line backer with the same amount of wind and then nothing......

Altidore: By default he has to start.  When fresh and healthy, he can provide a solid outlet out of the back, occupy the CB's, play good balls and normally is a good finisher.   The main problem is that we know he is not going to stay healthy (he never does) and that Berhalter only trusts him to go 60 minutes, which given our depth is awful right now.

Zardes: Berhalter likes him more than fans do.   If the rest of the supporting cast was excellent (say slightly below Pulisic) he might be functional but as we know it isn't, which makes Zardes look even worse since he depends on the service of others to produce.

After these two, it goes down hill fast.  You want to know who the two highest scoring American forwards are in MLS?  Brace yourself.    CJ Sappong and Wondolowski.   Yeah, I kid you not.

I think we need to put our hopes on the kids, specifically Soto(not a fan) and Sargent, both of whom are out of the club youth ranks but not yet getting a ton of time in the first teams.  I was really hoping the ageless Claudio Pizzaro would finally retire this summer at 40 but he is coming back and will likely be taking minutes from Sargent.

We could also hope for a resurrection project like Bacon or Wood but I find those low odds of succeeding. 
I don't know about this 60 minute thing. Jozy's coming off of injury and clearly wasn't game fit... I think GG did a decent job getting him minutes to shake the rust off and resting him when possible. his touch came back to him yesterday, even if that left foot showed the same rust it did in his first game back. would've been asking a lot for him to go 90 here- but when he's fit and healthy (obviously not a given), 90 minutes hasn't been a problem for him. at 26, I still have confidence that jozy can be our guy- if at least through WCQ. 

• Smile

Users who are viewing this thread