What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (5 Viewers)

I can't get over how deep he gets offensively compared to what Berhalter has Ream doing.  Berhalter has to see how much harder it is to play against the US if both wing defenders can get forward.

The only thing he appears to be lacking on the left is a driven left cross.  He crosses appear to be accurate, but of the softer variety.  If he can develop the skill and or confidence to start driving his crosses with his left foot,  he should do very very well in Concacaf.

If he makes the starting squad at Ajax, hopefully it will light a fire under Berhalter to call him even to the Mexico and Uruguay games, even if they can't cap tie him, to show their interest level.
I think if he makes the first squad and sees minutes- even if not starting- it should light the GG fire. that fire should already be lit regardless. 

I think if he makes the first squad and sees minutes- even if not starting- it should light the GG fire. that fire should already be lit regardless. 
I also value his ability to play both wing back spots.  I feel like a roster spot can be used elsewhere (you know on maybe a 3rd striker) if you have this type of flexibility.  I have no idea if GG values it though.

They’ve got Noussair Mazraoui at RB, he plays for Morocco and isn’t back with the team yet. He had 28 Eredivisie appearances last year so presumably he is in front of Dest on that side. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.starsandstripesfc.com/platform/amp/usmnt-youth/2019/7/22/20702655/usa-usmnt-weekly-youth-update-sergino-dest-ajax
ok I maybe need to pump the breaks on how many minutes Dest may get this year.

I also found out that in addition to @Moe.note above, the regular Ajax left back is Nicolás Tagliafico who has been on vacation after being the Copa America with Argentina.

So that puts Dest behind two international level players on both sides.  

However, with both players still not in camp yet, maybe he does get a chance to play in the Shield game on Saturday against PSV.

ok I maybe need to pump the breaks on how many minutes Dest may get this year.

I also found out that in addition to @Moe.note above, the regular Ajax left back is Nicolás Tagliafico who has been on vacation after being the Copa America with Argentina.

So that puts Dest behind two international level players on both sides.  

However, with both players still not in camp yet, maybe he does get a chance to play in the Shield game on Saturday against PSV.
so starting LB and RB ahead of him... but if he can play both, that's still possible for him to make the big-boy squad and get some minutes as a sub (certainly adds nice offense, if those two aren't as adept going forward... which I doubt is true), in cup games and as depth for them. unless there are more names missing that play out wide. 

before these last couple summer friendlies, did any of us even consider him starting, let alone making the first team? I had hoped for the latter- but assumed it would come deeper into the season if he continued playing well. but now it might be worth hoping for him to make the team and hopefully getting those minutes along the way.

so starting LB and RB ahead of him... but if he can play both, that's still possible for him to make the big-boy squad and get some minutes as a sub (certainly adds nice offense, if those two aren't as adept going forward... which I doubt is true), in cup games and as depth for them. unless there are more names missing that play out wide. 

before these last couple summer friendlies, did any of us even consider him starting, let alone making the first team? I had hoped for the latter- but assumed it would come deeper into the season if he continued playing well. but now it might be worth hoping for him to make the team and hopefully getting those minutes along the way.
I mean, he's an ideal squad player if he can play both fullback positions (and probably on either mf flank in a pinch).  If he could get a few spot starts and some subs for legs it would be a nice audition, because we know Ajax will sell an established player if they like the price and feel comfortable with who's coming up behind.  

It is also worth remembering Dest's age.  At his age, Pomykal was still struggling to find himself as a player and 12 months later he may be the best 2 way midfielder in MLS, of any nationality.

Who knows what type of development curve Dest could take in the next 12 months.   I just hope he is cap tied before it is realized, in any outcome.

This is pretty good.  I would love to see your guesses (The last one is a riot :)  )

===========

USMNT Videos

Let’s see a prediction thread for this season (all comps)

Christian Pulisic over/under 15g+a

Tyler Adams over/under 2300 minutes

Timothy Weah over/under 10g+a

Josh Sargent over/under 800 minutes

Sergino Dest over/under 700 minutes

Weston McKennie over/under 5 positions

This is pretty good.  I would love to see your guesses (The last one is a riot :)  )

===========

USMNT Videos

CP ... 11-13...under

Adams... Under (injuries)

Weah... Under (7)

Sargent... Over (4,000)

Dest... Under (500)

Swag... Over (11)

Re Dest... We've forgotten about alvarez, who is taking de ligts #4

Alvarez featured for Mexico at right-back at the last World Cup, but can play center-back and has played mainly in central midfield for Club America and El Tri in 2019.

===========

USMNT Videos

August 1 to July 31???

Arriola may be getting good soon!

Roger Gonzalez

@RGonzalezCBS

Sources tell CBS Sports that numerous teams in Europe, including the UK, want #USMNT winger Paul Arriola.

Last edited by a moderator:
all comps refers to League, Cup and Euro competition games.  No friendlies or no national team duty
I think it might include a few more games then that as Lewandowski is listed with 18 Bundesliga goals, eight in the UCL, once in the DFB Pokal and a hat-trick in the German Super Cup.

Anyway, going with the following...

Christian Pulisic over/under 15g+a - Over.  Chelsea had eight players with 8 or more goals last year.  Politic is one of there best eight offensive players.  He's always had as many assists as goals.

Tyler Adams over/under 2300 minutes - Under.  That's just a ton of minutes

Timothy Weah over/under 10g+a - Over.  Being optimistic.

Josh Sargent over/under 800 minutes - Over.  Based on crap games counting.

Sergino Dest over/under 700 minutes - Under.  Will need injuries in front of him to reach this mark.

Weston McKennie over/under 5 positions - Over.  Gimme.

CP subbed off After 60 minutes.   Very good showing imo.  As expected, he showed a ton of energy and speed, made several characteristic runs and created a few decent chances. 
Was reading the match thread on reddit since I didn't get to see the game.  Those guys are a fickle bunch to say the least, but seems all in agreement on him.  Love his energy, very dangerous, but is raw with his final product/finish.

Was reading the match thread on reddit since I didn't get to see the game.  Those guys are a fickle bunch to say the least, but seems all in agreement on him.  Love his energy, very dangerous, but is raw with his final product/finish.
Is he raw, or just rusty after a break?  I've never thought of CP as a raw final product/finisher before.  I mean he has never been accused of having Nagbe's heatmap.  

CP subbed off After 60 minutes.   Very good showing imo.  As expected, he showed a ton of energy and speed, made several characteristic runs and created a few decent chances. 
https://youtu.be/wI55_rRtIOg

His separation to get that shot off in front of goal was :wub:  .  A shame he didn't put it away.

Is he raw, or just rusty after a break?  I've never thought of CP as a raw final product/finisher before.  I mean he has never been accused of having Nagbe's heatmap.  
Nagbe's heatmap is just him being allergic to actually pulling the trigger; something you can't say about CP.  I think it's fair to say CP could use some polish in/around the 18, but he's not afraid to shoot.

It is also worth remembering Dest's age.  At his age, Pomykal was still struggling to find himself as a player and 12 months later he may be the best 2 way midfielder in MLS, of any nationality.

Who knows what type of development curve Dest could take in the next 12 months.   I just hope he is cap tied before it is realized, in any outcome.
Nah, that's not the way we do things with guys who could be dual nationals.  We'll just assume that the player knows we value them and leave it at that.  Send in Rongen; he'll close the deal.  ugh.

I agree with Ned.  Pulisic's goals and assist are lower than what they should given how deep he gets into the box.  I posted that cool chart last week from last season Bundesliga that showed how he was one of the best dribblers in the league but was only slightly above average in assists.  

If he can start converting more of the chances he makes into more goals and assists, he will elevate from a very good player to a great player.  

Man, Chelsea is going to sell a gazillion Pulisic jerseys here in the US. 

As Mel Brooks would say: "Merchandising."

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
OK, I agree with the CP comments above...  CP's finishing needs improvement, but I wouldn't necessarily call it raw...  to me raw is not good, like Zardoz...  CP gets shots on target a decent amount, but he's not finishing like Kane/Salah/etc. and that is where he needs to improve...

I'm agreeing that per amount of good looks he gets, he's not putting a ton away- or getting that final pass just right for the assist. feels like a pogba in that regard- lots of stuff attempted and just missed. 

but curious- where were CRo and Messi at 20 in terms of goals/assists? or Hazard?

eta: btw, my favorite moment- yeah, that move to separate and shoot was awesome... but I loved that play where he was driving at goal with only tammy following (and well covered) and decided to go for upper v near post instead. just missed- but the idea was fantastic given the circumstance, and I loved that he's being selfish already.

or Hazard?.
At 20 was the time Hazard made the leap from good player to great.  He was at Lille.  During the previous 3 season where he played a ton as a teenager, he scored 28 goals combined over all comps (141 games).

The season he turned 20, he scored 22 in 49 and then got the transfer to Chelsea where he averaged in the high teens scoring each year in all comps.

I don't have easy accessed to assists but I would assume they grew from his teen days at Lille as well.

OK, I agree with the CP comments above...  CP's finishing needs improvement, but I wouldn't necessarily call it raw...  to me raw is not good, like Zardoz...  CP gets shots on target a decent amount, but he's not finishing like Kane/Salah/etc. and that is where he needs to improve...
It is probably semantics but typically in sports, Raw is usually referencing a player who could be a diamond with just some polish.

Using this terminology, Zardoz is a cubic zirconia :)

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
At 20 was the time Hazard made the leap from good player to great.  He was at Lille.  During the previous 3 season where he played a ton as a teenager, he scored 28 goals combined over all comps (141 games).

The season he turned 20, he scored 22 in 49 and then got the transfer to Chelsea where he averaged in the high teens scoring each year in all comps.

I don't have easy accessed to assists but I would assume they grew from his teen days at Lille as well.
fwiw...

CP has 19 goals in 127 appearances. a bit less goal  per appearance than Hazard.

CRo after the 2005 season had 20 goals in 123 appearances. pretty similar to CP.

Messi after the 2007 season had 17 goals (Barca B & C)  in  32 appearances, + 26 goals  (Barca) in 70 appearances.

Man, Chelsea is going to sell a gazillion Pulisic jerseys here in the US. 

As Mel Brooks would say: "Merchandising."
I wouldn't doubt there are already #24 counterfeits available, despite the club's multiple announcements that these shirt numbers are not final.

I think his playing style is similar in that CP also likes to play directly toward goal with the ball and frequently takes on a defender or multiple defenders head-on.  Hazard was routinely among the league leaders in take-ons, dribbles, whatever its called, and I expect the same from CP based on what I've seen.  Of course, comparing the two in this fashion would draw massive jeers just about anywhere else on the internet.  That said, its worth noting that Hazard had won multiple individual honors before moving to Chelsea, including Ligue 1 POY (twice), Young POY, and 3X Ligue 1 team of they year.

.  That said, its worth noting that Hazard had won multiple individual honors before moving to Chelsea, including Ligue 1 POY (twice), Young POY, and 3X Ligue 1 team of they year.
These are good points.  Pulisic set a bunch of records while he was at Dortmund, mostly based on age things, but he was certainly no where near a POY player in the Bundesliga.

Jeff Carlisle

With the announcement of Josh Wolff as #AustinFC's first manager, U.S. Soccer says Josh Wolff will stay on as a #usmnt assistant through the end of the year. Search for Wolff's replacement is ongoing

I think his playing style is similar in that CP also likes to play directly toward goal with the ball and frequently takes on a defender or multiple defenders head-on.  Hazard was routinely among the league leaders in take-ons, dribbles, whatever its called, and I expect the same from CP based on what I've seen.  Of course, comparing the two in this fashion would draw massive jeers just about anywhere else on the internet.  That said, its worth noting that Hazard had won multiple individual honors before moving to Chelsea, including Ligue 1 POY (twice), Young POY, and 3X Ligue 1 team of they year.
Yeah I was wincing a bit as I was reading CP being compared to those 3 studs.  However, even the mere fact that we are considering those comps says a lot about the type of player CP can develop into.

Yeah I was wincing a bit as I was reading CP being compared to those 3 studs.  However, even the mere fact that we are considering those comps says a lot about the type of player CP can develop into.
I think the key thing to take from the comps is that it is extremely unlikely that Pulisic is the finished product at just age 20. 

We have no way to predict how good he will be but these and many other comparisons show that we should expect some level of improvement over the next 4 years before he really gets very close to the final product.

=====

Obviously, the preternaturally talented and abnormally mature teenager has caught the eye of clubs abroad. What happens if a huge bid rolls in?

“I don’t know what you consider a huge bid to be,” Dallas technical director Andre Zanotta told MLSsoccer.com last week with a laugh. 

He confirmed there is interest abroad in the young star, though no offers just yet.

"I would like Paxton to be here as long as possible, I think it’s too early for him to go now," Zanotta said. "I’m aware that players, sometimes they have desires to play in Europe. We wouldn’t like Paxton to go, maybe 2-3 years from now. But he had a great U-20 World Cup and, honestly, at this stage clubs are interested in getting players as young as they can. We hope he can continue here for a while.”

I think the key thing to take from the comps is that it is extremely unlikely that Pulisic is the finished product at just age 20. 

We have no way to predict how good he will be but these and many other comparisons show that we should expect some level of improvement over the next 4 years before he really gets very close to the final product.
I don't care about the Messi/Ronaldo/Hazard comparisons. The only thing that I want is for him, at 30, to have clearly surpassed Dempsey & Donovan. Both skill level and production.

exactly.

I brought up those three just as the highest bar possible... and people forget that even they took a bit to get going statistically. I don't honestly expect him to reach their heights- but continued growth should certainly be expected... the kid's only 20!

and it's funny- I was just reading about one of the EPL teams  running out one of their young star players.. .could've even been chelsea... and that kid was being talked about as a young starlet looking to impress with his summer minutes- and he's 20 too. 

exactly.

I brought up those three just as the highest bar possible... and people forget that even they took a bit to get going statistically. I don't honestly expect him to reach their heights- but continued growth should certainly be expected... the kid's only 20!

and it's funny- I was just reading about one of the EPL teams  running out one of their young star players.. .could've even been chelsea... and that kid was being talked about as a young starlet looking to impress with his summer minutes- and he's 20 too. 
It was Chelsea.  They're all giddy about Mason Mount because he's had a couple of flashes this preseason.  He's less than 2 months younger than Pulisic.  They expect Pulisic to take Hazard's spot, yet they're excited that Mount took a couple of guys on the dribble during preseason.  The difference in expectations is eye opening, although for the $75M, it probably should be.

I don't know if it is just the translation but the last part of this sent chills up my spine

==========

Manuel Veth

"World wide he is one of the standout midfield talents. He has great technique and is a team player," said #BVB youth coordinator to Sport Bild Ricken when asked about #USMNT youth player Giovanni Reyna. "You don't make such a transfer to win at the youth level," he added.

I don't know if it is just the translation but the last part of this sent chills up my spine

==========

Manuel Veth

"World wide he is one of the standout midfield talents. He has great technique and is a team player," said #BVB youth coordinator to Sport Bild Ricken when asked about #USMNT youth player Giovanni Reyna. "You don't make such a transfer to win at the youth level," he added.
There's still a ways to go, but everything I've seen of the kid has me thinking he's going to be bigger/better than CP. And would love to see him play up front.

There's still a ways to go, but everything I've seen of the kid has me thinking he's going to be bigger/better than CP. And would love to see him play up front.
Reyna seems more of a distributor than Pulisic.  And I say that based on my vast experience watching him for at least 2 hours.

But I do think he looks like he's going to be a great player.

Reyna seems more of a distributor than Pulisic.  And I say that based on my vast experience watching him for at least 2 hours.

But I do think he looks like he's going to be a great player.
I've seen more of him than that... But not a ton.

Strikes me as having his dad's vision and touch on the pass (sublime) but more explosive off the dribble and shot. It's that last stuff that makes me want to see him up front. But yeah...also useful further back. I can't think of how he is defensively...his dad was a field general smart Caillou type (ended up limitingly slow as well).

Will be really interesting to see what happens with him over there.

Eta...kid also has some giant cajones and arrogance on the ball, deuce like. I do feel like it sometimes leads him to too much selfishness...but he's got time to learn when and where to use it 

I've seen more of him than that... But not a ton.

Strikes me as having his dad's vision and touch on the pass (sublime) but more explosive off the dribble and shot. It's that last stuff that makes me want to see him up front. But yeah...also useful further back. I can't think of how he is defensively...his dad was a field general smart Caillou type (ended up limitingly slow as well).

Will be really interesting to see what happens with him over there.

Eta...kid also has some giant cajones and arrogance on the ball, deuce like. I do feel like it sometimes leads him to too much selfishness...but he's got time to learn when and where to use it 
It's weird.  I thought GIo was a total ball hog in U17 WC qualifying.  He was clearly super-talented, but I thought I'd hate playing with him.  He seems to be trying to play a lot more within the team concept in the little I've seen with Dortmund.  Which is obviously very encouraging.  

Users who are viewing this thread