What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (9 Viewers)

Niclas Fullhrug, a forward striker for Werder Bremen who has received good minutes this year blew out his knee today and will be out for many months.

This should open up more minutes for Sargent.
You mean Pizarro, right?

I hope so. Would be nice to see one our guys that isn't about to jump ship have something go right this season 

Watching this man city game I randomly thought “it would be great to have a striker like Aguero on the USMNT”.  That got me wondering...

Let’s say FIFA allows players to make a one-time switch to the country of their choice, regardless of being eligible for that country or not. If you could pick one player (only) in the world to make a one-time switch to the USMNT, who would you pick and why?

Watching this man city game I randomly thought “it would be great to have a striker like Aguero on the USMNT”.  That got me wondering...

Let’s say FIFA allows players to make a one-time switch to the country of their choice, regardless of being eligible for that country or not. If you could pick one player (only) in the world to make a one-time switch to the USMNT, who would you pick and why?
Mbappe. Uber stud, position of great need, only 20 years old, super fun name to say.

I am not stating anything outrageous when I say RBL is really legit this year.  I am bracing for the possibility that even when Adams gets healthy, the coach is not going to want to make any changes given their great start so far.

I don't think it is accurate to say Pulisic is "clearly 4th choice."  In 5 league games, he's started 3 and made 1 sub appearance, and has more minutes than Pedro or Willian (277/180/145).  It is true he did not play in the last two games, and was on the bench - Wolves in the league and the CL game against Valencia.  I may be reading it wrong, but I think the reason for that has something to do with Kante being out both of those games and Lampard switching to a 3 centerback formation (with Willian next to Mount in the attacking band, behind Abraham.)  I'm not writing him off so early in the season and would not be surprised to see CP start against Liverpool on Sunday if Kante is back.  Mount may also be out, which creates more opportunity. 

Hudson-Odoi will compete with Pulisic for minutes.  I think Loftus-Cheek will be more in competition with the midfielders - Kovacic, Barkley.
I was wrong, as usual. 

I don't have as much a problem with this as most.  If any argument could be made, I think that maybe you could question if Willian has been any better, which I don't think he has.

The real issue of course is when every one gets healthy, Pulisic may see very little time this season going forward.

I don't have as much a problem with this as most.  If any argument could be made, I think that maybe you could question if Willian has been any better, which I don't think he has.

The real issue of course is when every one gets healthy, Pulisic may see very little time this season going forward.
Sounds like he's got to prove himself on training and with the limited minutes he'll get. Might make him better, but won't help his match fitness.

Steffen is having a crazy club season.  His defense is awful and the team keeps dropping points but he is getting lauded left and right by the German press. 

Today he made 9 saves including 7 from with in the box in the 2-1 loss.

Dest went the full 90 at RB for Ajax away to PSV and from the general comments I read, he looks to have had a strong game.

We might as well get in our last few posts before he files his switch   :kicksrock:

Dest went the full 90 at RB for Ajax away to PSV and from the general comments I read, he looks to have had a strong game.

We might as well get in our last few posts before he files his switch   :kicksrock:
I have a hard time getting too exorcized over this. We gave him chances when the Dutch FA didn’t. We didn’t take him for granted. But he’s Dutch. And he’s good. Hard to blame him if the Netherlands really seem to want him. 

I still think it’s 50/50, but good for Sergino for putting in the work to make it a fight. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Sounds like he's got to prove himself on training and with the limited minutes he'll get. Might make him better, but won't help his match fitness.
And he needs to start producing in the minutes he gets. I’ve been worried awhile now that CP isn’t really better than he was at 18. Of course Sterling went through the same thing and made the leap after a few stagnant years. But Pulisic needs to work on being more than “dangerous.” He needs to be productive from dangerous positions. And he needs to be a much better team defender. 

great choice.  If not Mbappe, the other players I would consider would be Sancho or Sane.
Not as young as those guys, but I think KDB is almost impossible to overrate. He hits the best early crosses in the world. He can break lines through passing or dribbling. He can play on the wing or centrally. He can receive the ball under pressure and keep possession. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Not much you can do if he turns down call-ups. In fairness, Quakes were down a man there. So Nagbe has plenty of space. 
There's a story behind that story I think...and he's still a guy with skills the US lacks.

The man down explains why Emmy was left to run through unopposed. Nagbe at least had to go through a couple guys first

As I mentioned earlier, I don't have too much of an issue for Pulisic not playing.  Here is Lampards response as to why.  He is seeing good things in Willian that I am not as a fan.

=================

Asked by Pro Soccer Talk after the game if Pulisic was a victim of Chelsea suffering three injuries to players during their defeat to Liverpool, Lampard said that wasn’t the case at all.

“He wasn’t a victim of the injuries. I’ve got a squad to pick from. Before that he had played a few games,” Lampard said. “Willian has come back in and been sharp and looked good. I decided to go with Mason [Mount] today, because we needed to stay strong in midfield and play Mason high up the pitch. That is my choice to make. He will get ample opportunities. He is a young player as well as everyone is talking about Mason and Tammy and Fikayo. He is actually as young, if not younger, than some of them. His chances will come.”

I have a hard time getting too exorcized over this. We gave him chances when the Dutch FA didn’t. We didn’t take him for granted. But he’s Dutch. And he’s good. Hard to blame him if the Netherlands really seem to want him. 

I still think it’s 50/50, but good for Sergino for putting in the work to make it a fight. 
Completely agree. I just don’t share the excitement everyone else does about this situation.  He’s friggin Dutch, of course he’s going to keep that option open. 

Mid he chooses the US, sweet. 

Not as young as those guys, but I think KDB is almost impossible to overrate. He hits the best early crosses in the world. He can break lines through passing or dribbling. He can play on the wing or centrally. He can receive the ball under pressure and keep possession. 
Twice I’m agreeing with Scoob. :)  

KDB is the best bang for the buck IMO when finding the right blend of world class and fills the most holes for the US.  Biggest concern is injury history. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Steffen made the Bundesliga team of the week again. 

If you are going to give up goals every game as a keeper at least the media seems to acknowledge when your defense sucks.

it may not make any difference to GGG, but there may be a chance Trapp has lost his starting spot at Columbus.  Two straight games now he has been healthy and only used as a second half sub.

it may not make any difference to GGG, but there may be a chance Trapp has lost his starting spot at Columbus.  Two straight games now he has been healthy and only used as a second half sub.
Is pomykal starting in Dallas? Watched part of a game and didn't see him in the starting 11.

Is pomykal starting in Dallas? Watched part of a game and didn't see him in the starting 11.
He has been sick.  He came on as a sub yesterday.  People who saw the game said he played very well.  I know he was involved in the only goal of the game for Dallas by making tackle in the box to win the ball that dropped to his teammate to score.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-09-22-fc-dallas-vs-new-york-city-fc/details/video/215082

This play has been making the rounds this morning wondering if he could play the 6

https://twitter.com/zlebmada/status/1175985417973325824?s=20

He has been sick.  He came on as a sub yesterday.  People who saw the game said he played very well.  I know he was involved in the only goal of the game for Dallas by making tackle in the box to win the ball that dropped to his teammate to score.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2019-09-22-fc-dallas-vs-new-york-city-fc/details/video/215082

This play has been making the rounds this morning wondering if he could play the 6

https://twitter.com/zlebmada/status/1175985417973325824?s=20
Hell of a ball with his left.

@Roger Gonzalez

On the #USMNT front -- a guy I keep hearing a lot about is Ventura Alvarado as somebody who could get called up at some point. Has done well at Necaxa and hearing that he could move to Europe in January due to low release clause. Teams in France and Italy are interested

@Roger Gonzalez

On the #USMNT front -- a guy I keep hearing a lot about is Ventura Alvarado as somebody who could get called up at some point. Has done well at Necaxa and hearing that he could move to Europe in January due to low release clause. Teams in France and Italy are interested
Nice.  I was just wondering about him.  Would be nice to see him given another run, especially with Brooks' continuing injuries we need more CB depth.

From BILD

=======

Fortuna Dusseldorf's sporting CEO, Lutz Pfannenstiel has reached out to Zack Steffen's agent and Pep Guardiola about getting an extended loan deal done for the American goalkeeper.

Dusseldorf would ideally like to buy Zack Steffen, but with City wanting a fee of around €25-30m, it would be impossible for the Germans to get something done. The hope for Dusseldorf is to see again afterwards whether a purchase is possible

Last edited by a moderator:
NewlyRetired said:
From BILD

=======

Fortuna Dusseldorf's sporting CEO, Lutz Pfannenstiel has reached out to Zack Steffen's agent and Pep Guardiola about getting an extended loan deal done for the American goalkeeper.

Dusseldorf would ideally like to buy Zack Steffen, but with City wanting a fee of around €25-30m, it would be impossible for the Germans to get something done. The hope for Dusseldorf is to see again afterwards whether a purchase is possible
Damn

I mentioned this on twitter but I am unsure this has any meaning for two reasons.

1) he can't play for Holland at any level until paper work is both filed and approved which can take time with FIFA

2) Dest himself said Holland were interested in him for the Olympics (U23) first, not the senior side.  some one online mentioned he was not invited to the U23 camp but I have not seen this confirmed yet.

I mentioned this on twitter but I am unsure this has any meaning for two reasons.

1) he can't play for Holland at any level until paper work is both filed and approved which can take time with FIFA

2) Dest himself said Holland were interested in him for the Olympics (U23) first, not the senior side.  some one online mentioned he was not invited to the U23 camp but I have not seen this confirmed yet.
Oly team instead of US would hurt, especially if he never translated to full senior dutch side. Couldn't blame him, but it would suck.

CP gets a start today for Chelsea in the EFL cup game against Grimsby Town. Lots of very young guys in the lineup.  Several getting their first ever start for the senior team - Guehi, James, and Gilmour.  Hudson-Odoi and Batshuayi getting their first start of the season.  Probably going to be a ####-show.

Users who are viewing this thread