What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

Remember when the Champions League draw happened and we were excited to see Pulisic v Weah?  One is out injured today and the other seems highly unlikely to make an appearance. Maybe they can play a game of cards in the stands.

Oh good. Trapp and Roldan. But at least Holmes can...something.

And what does Lovitz have hanging over GGGG's head? 

Also ok, even if sad, with Dest holding out and keeping things private until he decides. Would be nice to know what was said in conversation with koeman, and hopefully gggggg is privy to that...but can't blame the kid for wanting to see if he can play for his home (better) country.

I just think it's ridiculous to call up known commodities for these games at the expense of our future.  I can't think of a better chance to a) cap-tie some dual nats and b) give kids valuable playing experience in games that "matter" that they can bank for future competition.  If we're relying on Lovitz/Trapp/Zardes etc... we have bigger issues.  

I almost get the sense that this is more of a win-now roster; something we'd put out if this was a WCQ

No idea how we don't have 3-4 of the dual nat kids on this roster.  Cuba and Canada?!  Should easily be able to cap tie some youngsters in this one.

Dest....  Can't blame the kid.  This is exactly the opposite of the Mexican-Americans.  This is basically what we want every one of them to do... choose the country they were born in.

I imagine he sees himself as Dutch, not American, so if given the choice and the chance why wouldn't he keep that option open.

Can't blame Dest but still disappointing. That said I agree with everyone else why not cap-tie some of the other young dual nats. If you can't beat Cuba and Canada with them you aren't going to win any more with Trapp, Zardes and Baird.

Andy...what's the timing with u23 vs Nations league? 

Are we expecting a lot of those young duals to be called into u23 or other yute camps instead of this?

Yup. That's really odd that GGG chose not to tie any of them.  

It's just baffling to try to figure out the logic behind some of these decisions.
Maybe they are trying to earn goodwill with the mls teams so they can garner a release next spring for the u23 tournament. I imagine Olympic qualifying is a huge goal for us soccer

Cuba doesn’t matter, but I think the Canada game matters a lot. Canada is an up and coming team with lots of young offensive talent. And they have a ton to play for so long as they have even a slight chance to make the Hex. It’s literally the closest thing to the test of qualifying through the Hex the team is likely to face. 

And, of course, we have no idea if Ledesma didn’t pull a Dest.  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
And fwiw, even when Canada's not good, they've always risen to task when playing the US. I don't think they're great now, but they've got more quality than in years past...quality that can punish trapp or Caillou slowly playing a pass inside the US 18

Andy...what's the timing with u23 vs Nations league? 

Are we expecting a lot of those young duals to be called into u23 or other yute camps instead of this?
I believe they overlap.  I am expecting Pomykal, Mendez and Richie all to be at the U23 camp along with both Robinson's.

So the question is, does he have to file a 1 time switch to represent the Dutch at a lower level (U-23?). If not, this COULD drag out for years.
it is my understanding that he can't play at any level in Holland until the paper work is filed and approved.

so lets summarize what we know going into the roster drop tomorrow

======================

Still hurt: Brooks, Adams, Morales, Weah

Returning from injury: Yedlin, Miazga, and Holmes (Holmes is by far the most ready of the three physically)

Dest:  There are lots of ways this could go.  The most likely result for me is that he turns down the call up with the caveat that he has not yet made a decision (ie paperwork either not filed or not approved yet.)

Dual Nats: With the US being mathematically impossible to not make the hex and virtually impossible to not be a seeded team in 2022, these Nation League games are as meaningless as any cap tying event could possibly be.  Will we use them to lock down any players?  Dest looks to be the only sure call up (whether he accepts or not is the question mentioned earlier).

Surprise Call Ups: Aaronson is the first.   Could there be others?  From a micro POV, Aaronson over Roldan is a win.  From a Macro point of view, thinking about the U23's and other dual nats, there are some questions for me.

MLS Players Availability: All should be available this time, which means Jozy and Bradley.  What this means for Trapp and Zardes we will have to wait and see.   I think it is more likely that Zardes is dropped than Trapp (with Adams and Morales both hurt).
I ####### nailed the Returning from Injury category  :bag:

From what I heard online Ledesma got called into the U23 camp instead.

IMO, Ledesma is much further away from being rostered by Mexico than Dest is by Holland.
Right. But that’s not necessarily inconsistent with Richie not wanting to be cap tied. Mexico is still an option no matter how many youth caps he gets with USA. 

I don't understand how Bradley is still a thing. I refuse to watch any games where he's still a starter. I'm not even going to turn it on. 

I've never seen a player that runs around the field so much yet accomplishes so little. He's like a hamster on a wheel. 

Right. But that’s not necessarily inconsistent with Richie not wanting to be cap tied. Mexico is still an option no matter how many youth caps he gets with USA. 
My comment was speaking to the wondering if Ledezma pulled a Dest.  From what I understand, he was not even offered the opportunity to do that because he was not invited to the senior roster.

As a related aside, I am strangely confident both Mendez and Richie end up with the US, if good enough.  Both seem clearly to be US first type players.  Ledezma in particular posts nothing but US related images on his social media.

I am not quite as sure about Uly, but he plays a position that is Mexico's deepest position.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was a good player imo, when he was in his 20's.  He has slipped in his later years.
Yes he was decent for a couple of years there. Since then it's absolutely astonishing that he continues to not only be considered but actually be selected. And it just holds back the progression of US soccer. Someone else is not getting a chance. And this isn't a recent development, he's been a liability for the last 4-5 years now. It just needs to stop. 

I'm pretty surprised he's not in the 18.  Starting to have some concerns ...
Starting?   :unsure:

It's very obvious that Frank doesn't rate Pulisic.  It's not just that he's not getting playing time, despite averaging more g/a per minute than Mount, Willian, and Pedro, but he's also not even giving him instruction on where to improve to make the squad.  It's going to be a dark year for Pulisic IMO and it's really tough to see a year of potential development being wasted for him as an American fan.

Yes he was decent for a couple of years there. Since then it's absolutely astonishing that he continues to not only be considered but actually be selected. And it just holds back the progression of US soccer. Someone else is not getting a chance. And this isn't a recent development, he's been a liability for the last 4-5 years now. It just needs to stop. 
One item we have lamented over and over again in this thread is the lost generation.  We have so few good players of a certain age group. 

For example look at the age gap between Jozy to Sargent.  it is unimaginable that we could not find one striker in that age gap.  Zardes is awful, Wood face planted like few others have, and Bacon never got healthy, with few other choices over the years.

You can do the same thing for numerous positions on the field.

I like to kiddingly blame Brek Shea since he is kind of the defacto poster child of the lost boys.

Starting?   :unsure:

It's very obvious that Frank doesn't rate Pulisic.  It's not just that he's not getting playing time, despite averaging more g/a per minute than Mount, Willian, and Pedro, but he's also not even giving him instruction on where to improve to make the squad.  It's going to be a dark year for Pulisic IMO and it's really tough to see a year of potential development being wasted for him as an American fan.
I get the concerns, but where does this come from?

Bradley has slipped. He can’t cover the same amount of ground. His ball winning in 1v1 battles is not a strength (my theory is that he overcompensated because he got a lot of cards as a younger player).  

But, if we concede Berhalter’s desire to have a distributor in that spot (and obviously you’re under no obligation to do that), Bradley is clearly the best passer in the pool out of that spot. I get that narratives get built around players, but Bradley consistently has among the highest pass completion percentages on the team. He always has the highest usage. And he often plays more positive passes than most DMs. He’s st an age where it would be better if he weren’t a clear starter, but for better or worse, he still is. 

Bradley has slipped. He can’t cover the same amount of ground. His ball winning in 1v1 battles is not a strength (my theory is that he overcompensated because he got a lot of cards as a younger player).  

But, if we concede Berhalter’s desire to have a distributor in that spot (and obviously you’re under no obligation to do that), Bradley is clearly the best passer in the pool out of that spot. I get that narratives get built around players, but Bradley consistently has among the highest pass completion percentages on the team. He always has the highest usage. And he often plays more positive passes than most DMs. He’s st an age where it would be better if he weren’t a clear starter, but for better or worse, he still is. 
The Berhalter brothers also need to go. I have no desire to consider any of their ideas or concede anything to them. 

From Pulisic himself.  he was asked if Frank told him what to work on and he said "no, he just said work hard in training and try to get back in the squad"
A week earlier: “It’s everything I hoped it would be and more. They’ve helped me so much over there getting accustomed to everything, and it’s been great learning under Frank. I’m still learning a lot and have a long way to go, but it’s been great so far.”  Way too much is made of both quotes.

I have my thoughts about today, but it really doesn't matter.  He's got a good path to a great career at this club and its still up to him. 

Fwiw, lamps running a 3-4-2-1, with Willian starting as one of the two and Pedro/Hudson ohboy on the bench. This non 18 for CP is a product of tactics today imo, as CP is clearly behind those two guys and no point dressing him in this setup. Kante and Giroud back on the squad too, so two less spots.

Of course, if this turns into a preferred system, this could be the beginning of the end unless CP either steps up or benefits from injuries ahead of him.

Eta..mount starting with willian

Berhalter must have really nailed his USMNT interview to beat out Jesse Marsch. Because how could you not be impressed with Marsch and his credentials.  The only way I see Berhalter winning that battle is if they somehow just completely dropped the ball and didn't even interview Marsh, but that would be crazy, right?

Berhalter must have really nailed his USMNT interview to beat out Jesse Marsch. Because how could you not be impressed with Marsch and his credentials.  The only way I see Berhalter winning that battle is if they somehow just completely dropped the ball and didn't even interview Marsh, but that would be crazy, right?
It does make you wonder if that interview was held just one year later, if it would have made a difference.

Marsch being just an assistant coach at the time may have hurt him.

You have to love that a guy who was considered so bad he was not good enough to coach Montreal now may be one of the hottest young coaches in the entire world....

It reeks of nepotism, obviously.

Even with Klinsman, there were things to like. Big negatives for sure, but there were obvious strengths.

What does Berhalter do well in this role?

It reeks of nepotism, obviously.

Even with Klinsman, there were things to like. Big negatives for sure, but there were obvious strengths.

What does Berhalter do well in this role?
He's been a very well respected coach and tactician... Good stuff for this role, imo. He's no beautician though, in spite of however much lipstick he tries to put on Zardoz and the rest of these players.

man this thread can be really depressing 
you have to admit, there has not been a lot to celebrate.

*Out of our 3 best players, 2 are hurt and 1 has been marginalized at his club.

*We have a coach who appears to insist on calling players we know plenty about that are not good enough, while leaving other prospects (ones that have prettier girls looking at them) out.

*Then we have our fearless federation which appears to be trying to break a record to find out how many different entities they can be sued by.

*And then just this week, we have a beloved former US International and US youth coach defect to Mexico to help poach US players.

Dark days indeed.  I thought the low point was wet and bumpy but it just won't quit.

Users who are viewing this thread