Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Premier

US Men's National Team

Morris and McKennie are gonna get the accolades for their performances, but Yueill has been amazing so far as well.  His long passing has been almost perfect.

Are they still celebrating like they just won the Nations League after every goal?

Did they just use all three subs or is this like an exhibition game? 

edit - I see it was just 2 subs. 

Edited by CletiusMaximus

I'm at around the 60th minute.

Obviously hard to critique...Cuba playing so weirdly soft, but also not deep. So much time and space for the US players all over, the D and MF can do whatever they want, so it's just about them not ####### up.

Couple of things...

Morris and Cannon were linking up fantastically. Great work from jmo making the runs, and I gotta say- loving Cannons vision and  ability to see the different spaces available to him and hit the ball there in varying ways. The choices, quickness and shape and weight of what hes been doing all night...really, really impressed.

Otoh. CP basically a role player not affecting the game much and with really poor set pieces. Maybe cubas overloading on him and he's just playing the easy ball, but damn. If I'm seeing him for the first time, I'd never believe he was a big time, big team dude.

And there's his PK.

1 hour ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Sargent is going to be our Andy Carroll, isn't he?

If he tries a pony tail, I'm out.

And Sargent second best to just about every cross. I'd love to see him get to the space first and win the header more. Still seems like a guy who thrives making little diagonal runs and getting the ball to feet. Would like to see his game expalnd some.

And re CP, maybe Cuba did game plan for him and overload that side of the field...would explain Cannon and JMo running rampant on the other side of the field. And why the field closed up a bit after CP subbed out.

Not much to add. 

Good to see some well worked goals especially when 6 of them did not involve Pulisic.

Pulisic needs to be much more involved against Canada if they want to get a result up there.

Also nice to see Morris making the correct pass when getting free.

I expect a night and day difference when going to Toronto.  I do wonder if they might be psyching themselves out though.  The Canadian coach can't stop saying that this is a Cup Final for them.  That is a ton of pressure on a young team who has had little success internationally. 

A couple of more items that were only emphasized for me tonight:

* Ream is an excellent replacement for Brooks for any average or lower Concacaf opponent.

* Roldan and Lovitz are getting more minutes than they deserve.  Roldan is particularly annoying because I think both Paxton and Holmes are much better players.  GGG does not agree though.

* With Trapp losing his spot at Columbus and not dressing tonight, it looks likely that Yeuill has passed him on the depth chart.  Although I am expecting Bradley to start against Canada.

5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Not much to add. 

Good to see some well worked goals especially when 6 of them did not involve Pulisic.

Pulisic needs to be much more involved against Canada if they want to get a result up there.

Also nice to see Morris making the correct pass when getting free.

I expect a night and day difference when going to Toronto.  I do wonder if they might be psyching themselves out though.  The Canadian coach can't stop saying that this is a Cup Final for them.  That is a ton of pressure on a young team who has had little success internationally. 

Yep. But I'll say again...they always seem to bring their best game against the US, and tbh I don't expect anything less on Tuesday.

Getting back to CP... He played fine tonight, but he really should have been curb-stomping that team, not hitting the safe pass over and over. Did he evem have a shot on goal? Or combine with anybody? Am I wrong to want a lot more from him?

• Like 1

Yeah, i dont see the appeal of Roldan at all.

The guy just seems like the very embodiment of an above-average MLS midfielder that is so very obviously out of his depth against any respectable international side.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

A couple of more items that were only emphasized for me tonight:

* Ream is an excellent replacement for Brooks for any average or lower Concacaf opponent.

* Roldan and Lovitz are getting more minutes than they deserve.  Roldan is particularly annoying because I think both Paxton and Holmes are much better players.  GGG does not agree though.

* With Trapp losing his spot at Columbus and not dressing tonight, it looks likely that Yeuill has passed him on the depth chart.  Although I am expecting Bradley to start against Canada.

Ream is a decent CB with above average distribution. But yeah...against bad teams when the US is on the front foot. Scares the crap out of me when the US has to defend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TLEF316 said:

Yeah, i dont see the appeal of Roldan at all.

The guy just seems like the very embodiment of an above-average MLS midfielder that is so very obviously out of his depth against any respectable international side.

HE WORKS HARD!

yep. You and Andy nailed it. Not that he's bad, just doesn't do much if anything to elevate this team.

My observations....

Morris has done an excellent job recovering from his ACL injury.  I think he is actually faster than he was before his injury... and he scored a left footed shot!!!!!!   Great game by him.

McKennie doing exactly what a top 5 league starter should be doing against Cuba.  He owned that field and was just devastating in attack.

CP.... not sure what's happening there.  Guy was schooling much better players this summer and now he's playing passive and safe against a minnow like Cuba?   If this is a result of his Chelsea "training" then I'm not a fan at all.

Ream looks soooo much better as a CB than a LB.  He should be in the rotation there.  Miazga was ok too, but nothing really challenged either of them this game.  

Cannon and Yueill were my favorite players out there today.  Both made incredible long distance passes that cut open Cuba's defense all first half.  Didn't see Boyd/Lletget/Arriola making the same runs as the first half starters, so second half was pretty stale.

Sargeant is a better player than Zardes..... but... he was beat to a lot of good crosses today by below average defenders... need that to change.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Not really directly USMNT related question, but does anyone know how Alphonso Davies is doing at Bayern Munich? @Mjolnirs

He is dressing for a lot of games.  He is an occasional sub (4 in 7) (which puts him in almost the same category as Thomas Muller so he is in good company on that bench).

• Thanks 1

Nice. Agree with hasically all of that.

I totally neglected to mention swag! But you were dead on- he was a class above those other players...and played like it, dare I say...with swag. It's what I wanted from CP.

I liked Yueill fine, but felt like with that much time and also facing the field in the middle, he should be hitting all those good balls. But credit to him for doing it. I thought Cannon was doing it better imo, shaping balls through, around, across and form harder angles and under a bit...little bit...more pressure.

• Like 1

I am apolitical so please excuse my ignorance.

If Paradella can play pro soccer in the US, why do so many other Cubans have to defect to play in the US?

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

If Paradella can play pro soccer in the US, why do so many other Cubans have to defect to play in the US?

I didn't hear the whole story...but it's a recent development, no? Could be a game changer in terms of defections?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Because the Cuban government controls their sports federations, they fall under the sanctions that the US government places on Cuba.  I know the MLB thought they had a deal worked out to bring young baseball talent over, but it was shot down by the Trump government.

Paradella was playing in Guatemala at the time, so he was able to apply for his athletic work visa outside of Cuban government involvement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Right now El Salvador sits slightly above Canada in the 6th and final spot for the hex.  ELS plays today at Montserrat.

The two results against the US is going to have a huge say in whether Canada makes the hex next year.

I am not sure who I would rather see in the hex.  I feel like ELS is an extremely easy win at home and one of those awful road Concacaf games where there is no way to know what will happen due to the variables of playing away in Central America. 

Canada is likely a much better up and coming team, but at least the away game variables are down to just the quality of the teams on the day.

Aaronson has been sent home.  From what GGG said, it was never intended that he would be played.  They just wanted a close look at him and to give him his first acclimation to practicing with the national team.

I think we will see some changes to tomorrow.   I think GGG may swap in Bradley for Yeuill (strong possibility), Zardes for Sargent (medium possibility), and Long for Miazga (medium possibility).

Ives reported that Steffen appears healthy so I don't quite understand why he did not train this week.

I am hoping for Lletget in place of Roldan but I am not holding my breath.

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

Aaronson has been sent home.  From what GGG said, it was never intended that he would be played.  They just wanted a close look at him and to give him his first acclimation to practicing with the national team.

I think we will see some changes to tomorrow.   I think GGG may swap in Bradley for Yeuill (strong possibility), Zardes for Sargent (medium possibility), and Long for Miazga (medium possibility).

Ives reported that Steffen appears healthy so I don't quite understand why he did not train this week.

I am hoping for Lletget in place of Roldan but I am not holding my breath.

I agree- long, Caillou, Steffen and I think yedlin instead of Cannon, Lima instead of Lovitz (still don't understand lovitz). Dunno about Sarge vs Zardoz. 

Meanwhile, I saw another quote today/yesterday from the Canada camp laying out how much they hate the US and how big this game is for them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Meanwhile, I saw another quote today/yesterday from the Canada camp laying out how much they hate the US and how big this game is for them.

Am I the only one that really likes Canada hating the USMNT?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Am I the only one that really likes Canada hating the USMNT?

I love it.  Bring it, syrup boys.  :football:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ned said:

I love it.  Bring it, syrup boys.  :football:

:lol:

Ok.... What I think ggggggg rolls out:

Steffen

Yedlin, miazga, long, Lima

Caillou, roldan

Swag

Morris, CP

Zardoz

But I can also see him playing Ream out left.

I've said before, but I'd be interested in Long out there, as long as going forward isn't happening too much. Maybe in a 3-5-2

@Nicocantor1

Berhalter, press conference:

Zack Steffen will start tomorrow.

Sargent is being monitored closely (ankle).

Berhalter is “happy” with whomever plays up top.

Pulisic vs Cuba didn’t want to come out.

Briefly mentioned that Adams will eventually play the 6. (thank you god, now get healthy!)

38 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Huh?

CP was upset to have been subbed out.

Yikes.

The US has not won a game on the road since 2016 against St Vincent.

The last time the US won a game on the road against a non Concacaf super minnow was back in 2015 in a friendly in Germany.

43 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Yikes.

The US has not won a game on the road since 2016 against St Vincent.

The last time the US won a game on the road against a non Concacaf super minnow was back in 2015 in a friendly in Germany.

When I read this, it felt like they hadn't played many away matches.  So I got curious... I tallied this myself, so take it FWIW.

Excluding the Gold Cup, they've played 20 matches since the SV game in 2016.  15 home, 5 away.  So while the above sounds bad, its a little skewed given they've only played away 5 times in the past 3 years.

HOME AWAY  TOT
W    8    0     8
L    5    2     7
T    2    3     5
------------------
TOT 15    5    20

5 away games were: CR 4-0, Pan 1-1, Mex 1-1, Hon 1-1, TnT 2-1.

Edited by Ned
Fixed - 5 away games, not 4
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

It’s going to go poorly for Canada tonight. 

4-1 good guys 

I think Zardes will score tonight. 

I have not yet determined what unusual part of his body will be used to deflect the ball into the net.

• Laughing 1

Things I am watching for tonight

* Is this Bradley's last hurrah?  If he has a poor game in his home stadium, that is going to be a harbinger of trips to Honduras, Mexico and Costa Rica in the hex when he is even older.

* Can Morris continue to show well?  Canada's fullbacks are not considered strong but this is an over all step up from Cuba obviously.   I know he is limited but making some dangerous plays on the wing will make me feel better going forward.

* In some ways, Pulisic had more of an effect on the team last cycle than this one.  He is not playing poorly but he needs to be near the top of his game for the US to succeed.

* If either Lovitz or Ream start at LB, I have a feeling Canada will swap Davies over to right wing.   I am really hoping that Lima gets a start tonight at LB.  He is not Yedlin fast but he is faster than the average speeded Lovitz and the no speed left Ream.

* Canada is likely to be over amped tonight and we might expect our back line to be pressured.  As such I think Ream starting again at LCB makes the most sense since he is the best passing defender we have.  Whom ever starts next to him should be the best one on one defender we have because Jonathan David can score, having already 11 goals in 10 games for Canada.

• Like 3

I agree- Canada is going to come out with their amps at 11. US needs to start compact and defend well, looking to counter smartly without overcommitting players forward, especially the outside backs. Soak it up, hope to knock one in early and then out start pushing higher up the field.

But David, Davies and Hoillet are top notch and can/will punish lapses in shape or possession. Looks like they didn't even bring Larin in...so that's a well oiled Canadian group of attackers. The Canada D is suspect though, and iirc missing a key starter. CP has to exert more influence tonight...maybe even try taking a shot this time. He really should be the best player on the field here and needs to show it.

• Like 2

I noticed something interesting today in regards to WC 2022 qualifying. 

Qatar are taking part in the first couple of rounds of Asian World Cup qualifying, after which they will drop out once it gets to the final round.

46 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I noticed something interesting today in regards to WC 2022 qualifying. 

Qatar are taking part in the first couple of rounds of Asian World Cup qualifying, after which they will drop out once it gets to the final round.

Kind of odd...  Are they using qualifying for another Cup or is that just to get them competitive games?

5 minutes ago, encaitar said:

Kind of odd...  Are they using qualifying for another Cup or is that just to get them competitive games?

I think it has to do with the Asian Cup but I am not sure

• Thanks 1

Here is the line up for tonight

.....................Steffen

Yedlin........Long..........Ream............Lovitz

............................Bradley

.............Weston..................Roldan

Morris..................Sargent......................Pulisic