Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Premier

US Men's National Team

Just now, NewlyRetired said:

I thought he was decent in the first half but he got taken to school in the second half.   He was the primary (but not only) reason for the first Canada goal when he got so easily tackled in a horrendous spot on the field.

Adams is not going to fox this mess but we have to start one building block at a time.  

I know you did...but I really didn't. He was solid the handful of times he had time and space on the ball...but he consistently ceded sooo much space on both sides of the field that allowed Canada to easily carve through. As a fan, this was the game that showed me he's done.

• Like 1

What is so painful about all this is that it feels like nothing has advanced in the 2 years since the T&T nightmare.

We wasted an entire year only to hire GGG, which could have been done one week after T&T.  Instead we wasted a year with a care taker, wasted another year finding out that GGG is likely not up to the task and we are looking at the start of the hex in 9 months.

Even if we hire a new coach now, he is not going to have enough time to prepare the team before the hex.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

What is so painful about all this is that it feels like nothing has advanced in the 2 years since the T&T nightmare.

We wasted an entire year only to hire GGG, which could have been done one week after T&T.  Instead we wasted a year with a care taker, wasted another year finding out the GGG is likely not up to the task and we are looking at the start of the hex in 9 months.

Even if we hire a new coach now, he is not going to have enough time to prepare the team before the hex.

Do we think gggg's preparations will bear fruit in the future? Is there any sign of that? 

I think this has to happen immediately and shame on earnie if he hasn't already had somebody in place or at least in mind to take over fully...not as a caretaker.

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Do we think gggg's preparations will bear fruit in the future? Is there any sign of that?

So hard to say but I don't think so.   

He was a bit unlucky in that he never had Adams, Jozy, or Brooks healthy together, 3 players that would have made a difference IMO but no coach has his full team always healthy and the fact that GGG picked players like Roldan over Holmes is just too much for me to accept.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Wow. CP out?

Wtf.

Still fuming about this.

5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

We wasted an entire year only to hire GGG, which could have been done one week after T&T.  Instead we wasted a year with a care taker, wasted another year finding out that GGG is likely not up to the task and we are looking at the start of the hex in 9 months.

We not only wasted a year waiting to hire Greg, but we DIDN'T EVEN INTERVIEW guys like Tata, Vermes, or Marsch.  Meanwhile, the 'interim' guy that was supposed to do nothing but be a holdover showed more tactical acumen than the "tactical genius" we finally did hire(who also was apparently the only coach interviewed btw.)

The USSF might be an even worse organization now than it was under Sunil.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

So hard to say but I don't think so.   

He was a bit unlucky in that he never had Adams, Jozy, or Brooks healthy together, 3 players that would have made a difference IMO but no coach has his full team always healthy and the fact that GGG picked players like Roldan over Holmes is just too much for me to accept.

True

Was just typing up about how Adams likely corrects some much of what ails this team. But this formation just hasn't worked unless they're playing against a team that allows them time and/or space to switch the field regularly and change the point of attack. That's been the only tactic of note I've seen from ggg that I like. But the us can't do it against better teams...and ggg doesn't seem to have any other answers as there's so little interplay between the lines.

10 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Not only have they not advanced, they look ####### worse.  Handful of bright spots (Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, et al) and a whole lot of junk across the board.

Half the players on the field today have no business playing at this level.  And by "this level", I mean any level that doesn't look like #### against ####### Canada. 

I had sooooo many questions I wanted to ask gulati when I saw him the other day. But he wasnt having it from a guy he doesn't know. Maybe next time.

18 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Many other nations chop and change their head coach going into the final portion of qualifying if the team is playing like dog ####.

US Soccer needs the sack to #### can this chump tonight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

Bradley’s a step up from Berhalter, right?

Caillou? Absolutely

I mean, there's obvious talent upgrades out there that solve a lot of problems pretty quickly. Just based on tonight's lineup.....

Jozy for Sargent

Adams for Bradley

Brooks for Ream

Maybe slide Long over to LB and plug in Miazga (although it wouldn't be ideal, but still better than Lovitz) Or try Lima there

Holmes for Roldan

But even if we did that and the guys that were there play better (and they all played like crap tonight) the coach is still going to ruin it. He has to go. They've given up.

• Like 1

Just now, El Floppo said:

Caillou? Absolutely

After THAT display?  Bill Bradley might be a step up.  

Just now, El Floppo said:

Would Marsch accept if called?

Last October?  Absolutely.  Now....  doubtful.

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Would Marsch accept if called?

I can't imagine why he would. Too risky with the team in its current state.

Maybe the US was trying to get Canada into the Hex so they wouldn't have to travel to El Salvador? Question Mark?

There is one item I think we as a fan base must be mature enough to acknowledge.

Our last 3 head coaches (not including Sarachan) all failed.

And even worse, all 3 coaches were really diverse and different from each other and it did not matter.

The mess we have may be too hard to fix for any one coach unless we some how get magically healthy and that is unreasonable given the history.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thinking 1

There are probably only 2 coaches who could step in before the hex in a few months and hit the ground running.

Bob Bradley and Tab Ramos.

I don't see any way Bradley leaves the LAFC gig (imagine wanting to trade coaching Vela for Zardes).

I think Tab might be interested given his tie to the young players and his over all understanding of US Soccer.  I have no idea if he would fair any better than the last 3 though.*

* I also think we may need to brace ourselves that US Soccer will not have the guts to fire GGG until they see the November results and if the team manages 2 wins there, we may be witnessing JK version 2.0 again where US Soccer failed to pull the trigger fast enough and put the team in a deep hole at the start of the hex.

• Like 2

There is one item I think we as a fan base must be mature enough to acknowledge.

Out last 3 head coaches (not including Sarachan) all failed.

And even worse, all 3 coaches were really diverse and different from each other and it did not matter.

The mess we have may be too hard to fix for any one coach unless we some how get magically healthy and that is unreasonable given the history.

did Jurgen really FAIL? I mean, his message got stale and his tactics in Columbus were a disaster and he was eventually correctly fired. But he did last 5+ years and had a fair amount of success.

So I wouldn't really call him a failure. Bad ending, obviously.

Just now, TLEF316 said:

did Jurgen really FAIL? I mean, his message got stale and his tactics in Columbus were a disaster and he was eventually correctly fired. But he did last 5+ years and had a fair amount of success.

So I wouldn't really call him a failure. Bad ending, obviously.

more than a bad ending IMO.  The team fell apart in 2015.  That Gold Cup was an abomination and turned out to be the key harbinger of the cycle.

I would not call JK a failure in the 2014 cycle but that was a different group of players at different ages.   His 2018 cycle was a failure IMO.

3 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

But he did last 5+ years and had a fair amount of success

The dude was a disaster from like year 2 onward.  You could see the flaming dung pile, that was barely held together by the sheer will of Germany Jones.

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Panama and Mex 1-1 at the half.

With Canada and El Salvador both winning today, that is now a must win for Panama to stay with in shouting distance of the Hex.   It will be one of those three teams that claims the last spot in the hex next summer.

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

There are probably only 2 coaches who could step in before the hex in a few months and hit the ground running.

Bob Bradley and Tab Ramos.

I don't see any way Bradley leaves the LAFC gig (imagine wanting to trade coaching Vela for Zardes).

I think Tab might be interested given his tie to the young players and his over all understanding of US Soccer.  I have no idea if he would fair any better than the last 3 though.*

* I also think we may need to brace ourselves that US Soccer will not have the guts to fire GGG until they see the November results and if the team manages 2 wins there, we may be witnessing JK version 2.0 again where US Soccer failed to pull the trigger fast enough and put the team in a deep hole at the start of the hex.

Dome could as well.  He’s at least knows how to break a press and free up the most creative player we have.   He has his faults, but he’s also not afraid to try things in order to put his players in the best position to succeed.   

• Like 1

With Canada and El Salvador both winning today, that is now a must win for Panama to stay with in shouting distance of the Hex.   It will be one of those three teams that claims the last spot in the hex next summer.

I haven't seen El Sal in a long time. But you have to figure none of those teams have any fear of the US, home or away.

3 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

The dude was a disaster from like year 2 onward.  You could see the flaming dung pile, that was barely held together by the sheer will of Germany Jones.

In the 2002–03 season, AFC Wimbledon competed in the Combined Counties League Premier Division under the management of former Wimbledon F.C. player Terry Eames, who was appointed on 13 June 2002.[15] Their first ever game, a pre-season friendly against Sutton United on 10 July 2002, resulted in a 4–0 loss in front of a crowd of 4,657.[16] At the end of their debut season, AFC Wimbledon finished third in the league and narrowly failed to win promotion to the Isthmian League First Division, despite a strong end to the season that involved winning their final 11 league fixtures.[17]

• Love 1

Still puzzling at how uninvolved swag and Sarge were.

48 minutes ago, El Floppo said:
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Wow. CP out?

Wtf.

Still fuming about this

And this

And if ggg stays, will CP question coming in the future when called.

31 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Panama and Mex 1-1 at the half.

Panama kicking the living #### out of Chucky every time he gets the ball. This is what CP has to look forward to...if ggg plays him again.

Tata getting a chiding from the red for chatter...after Panama literally kicked Chucky out of the game.

16 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Panama kicking the living #### out of Chucky every time he gets the ball. This is what CP has to look forward to...if ggg plays him again.

Now moving on to #11. 

Some of these "tackles" :shock:

Jeff Carlisle✔@JeffreyCarlisle

Gregg Berhalter said Christian Pulisic was struggling with flu-like symptoms. That was why he was subbed. Added that Pulisic wanted to continue. #usmnt

9:44 PM - Oct 15, 2019

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Still puzzling at how uninvolved swag and Sarge were.

Sargent isn’t good at football.  Been saying it for over a year now.

6 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Sargent isn’t good at football.  Been saying it for over a year now.

Yeah, seems to either stand around or spin in circles 

What is it about the style of soccer in Germany that our players are successful but struggle in other leagues to reach that level?

I didn't watch most of the 2nd half. Couldn't really deal with it. Sounds like it got worse.

What is a legitimate plan to get us prepared for the important parts of the cycle?

I am far from being able to talk about soccer as intelligently as most here but I hear how much more "talent" we have than Canada and I just didn't see it, regardless of formation/tactics/team play/etc. Individual talent seemed on par or worse. Is that where we are? I mean, I know we have a chunk of our guys playing in Europe, I know we have players "rated" higher.. but I just don't see it.

Can a coach have *that* much impact on how we play together? Sigh.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Worm said:

I didn't watch most of the 2nd half. Couldn't really deal with it. Sounds like it got worse.

What is a legitimate plan to get us prepared for the important parts of the cycle?

I am far from being able to talk about soccer as intelligently as most here but I hear how much more "talent" we have than Canada and I just didn't see it, regardless of formation/tactics/team play/etc. Individual talent seemed on par or worse. Is that where we are? I mean, I know we have a chunk of our guys playing in Europe, I know we have players "rated" higher.. but I just don't see it.

Can a coach have *that* much impact on how we play together? Sigh.

Canadian players to a man were better than US players all night. Better skilled, better intensity, and better tactics. The first two, the US was a disaster and below what they're capable of. The latter is a question of coaching as much as players...that's where the coach can exert influence- set the team up with the right players in the right roles and then be willing and able to adjust players and/or tactics if it's not working.

GGG has suffered at both of those, consistently rolling with one attacker- who, when it's not Jozy, cant play the system (Sargent or Zardoz) and disappears, leaving CP to dribble into 4 defenders or having the wings launch aimless balls across. It works against guyana (barely) and Cuba, but so far hasn't against anybody remotely worthwhile. Either the tactics need to change or the coach.

And fwiw, Canada has a handful of genuine quality players- Davies was just named on the shortlist of best 20 players in europe under 21, so this might be the beginning of a golden generation for them. But the rest of the team is below where the US is...on paper. On the field last night- far, far superior.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Maybe its true - we really would be better if Lebron James, Tom Brady and Justin Verlander all played soccer.

I'd take Rudy at this point.

Ugh, what a #### show.

There's a poll on the ESPNFC game article about GGG, about halfway down the article.  'Is Gregg Berhalter the right manager to turn the USMNT around?'.  Please go click the poll.  Please.  

I don't know if it will do any good, but we have to air frustrations somehow.  

27 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

There's a poll on the ESPNFC game article about GGG, about halfway down the article.  'Is Gregg Berhalter the right manager to turn the USMNT around?'.  Please go click the poll.  Please. 

Currently at 6% yes, 90% no with 5,000+ votes in.