What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

The more I think about the Pulisic substitution the more it pisses me off.  I am starting from the assumption that the illness story is bull####.  Is that the case, or might there be a kernel of truth to that?  From the sideline reaction (thank you media for the unwavering close-up footage of a young athlete's pain in his worst moment), I don't think he came off due to illness.  To me, its a power move by a weak manager who needs a cop-out for a humiliating performance. 

This is far from a new phenomenon but it still bugs me that many of our players perform better in the Bundesliga than they do against Concacaf teams.

The more I think about the Pulisic substitution the more it pisses me off.  I am starting from the assumption that the illness story is bull####.  Is that the case, or might there be a kernel of truth to that?  From the sideline reaction (thank you media for the unwavering close-up footage of a young athlete's pain in his worst moment), I don't think he came off due to illness.  To me, its a power move by a weak manager who needs a cop-out for a humiliating performance. 
I'm with you.

CP may not have been tip top, health wise, but even on an off day he's the only guy in the program capable of opening up the game in an instant. Something the US needed desperately vs Canada. Nips has qualities, but not those kind of qualities.

If CP says he was ok, he was ok. I still think ggg was covering his own ### while making a weak effort at also trying to protect CP from criticism.

I said it at the time...benching CP in that situation is a fireable offense, even taking out of the equation any "optics" damage he doing CP toward lampard.

I'm sure its been covered as I was just scrolling through but the continued usage of Guzan and Bradley drive me nuts.  You can not find the replacement or improve if you constantly bring them in and play them in these games.  Friendlies, Nations League vs Cuba....  They aren't the answer and are part of the problem.

I was so frustrated with the first half and was in the middle of something so wasn't really paying attention in the 2nd until I heard "Bradley dispossessed".  So I looked up and in goes goal 1 for Canada.  Sure he had some good passes.  But hes a liability on defense and has very little game awareness. 

For instance, extra time ticking away in the 2nd half, ball is played into Bradley, who's in space in the Canada half about 30 yards out.  Instead of turning and driving to goal to get a shot or put the ball in the box, he causally one touches back and wide to the left back. There was no defender to pressure him, no need to move the ball, this wasn't a time to keep possession, this was a time to try and make something happen at the end of a crappy game.  For every good pass he makes, he makes 3 bad ones and either loses the ball or gets run by on defense.

I'm sure its been covered as I was just scrolling through but the continued usage of Guzan and Bradley drive me nuts.  You can not find the replacement or improve if you constantly bring them in and play them in these games.  Friendlies, Nations League vs Cuba....  They aren't the answer and are part of the problem.

I was so frustrated with the first half and was in the middle of something so wasn't really paying attention in the 2nd until I heard "Bradley dispossessed".  So I looked up and in goes goal 1 for Canada.  Sure he had some good passes.  But hes a liability on defense and has very little game awareness. 

For instance, extra time ticking away in the 2nd half, ball is played into Bradley, who's in space in the Canada half about 30 yards out.  Instead of turning and driving to goal to get a shot or put the ball in the box, he causally one touches back and wide to the left back. There was no defender to pressure him, no need to move the ball, this wasn't a time to keep possession, this was a time to try and make something happen at the end of a crappy game.  For every good pass he makes, he makes 3 bad ones and either loses the ball or gets run by on defense.
I've been arguably his biggest fan here...but this last game showed me he's completely done at the international level.

Of course, if Adams was there covering for him, maybe.....

Lamps about CP

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has ruled out a January loan move for Christian Pulisic and that he is seeing the ‘bigger picture’ with the American.

The 21-year-old has had a difficult spell with the Blues in past six weeks, playing just 10 minutes of Premier League football since the end of August and only getting a start in the Carabao Cup.

Meanwhile, the American appeared to be upset after being substituted in the 60 minute while playing for his country against Canada this week.

When asked if Pulisic could be loaned out in January when the transfer window opens again, Lampard flat-batted it with a simple: “No.”

There has been a lot of expectation on the young winger’s shoulders, having arrived from Borussia Dortmund for £58million and also having to replace Eden Hazard in the squad.

However, Pulisic has slipped down the pecking order for the Blues, with Lampard preferring Willian, Callum Hudson-Odoi or even Mason Mount in the wing areas.

But the Chelsea boss insists he is not concerned about the American and that he is looking towards the ‘big picture’ of what he could bring.

“With Christian he’s come to us in a big move, let’s make no mistake about it, and then he’s just turned 21 recently, and we’ve got a competitive squad here,” Lampard said.

“I said it before the last game, I always have a problem who to pick and people make my decisions in training or how they’re playing, and at the minute with winning four on the bounce I need the edge of staying in the team and keep performing and everyone is the same.

“With Christian coming here, we have to protect him for that fact because he’s young.

“Christian, as with every player in the squad, needs to work hard in training, keep improving in training, see the direction we’re going, be a part of it, and show what you can do on a match day, and all the players are the same there.

“It is [easy to forget his age]. You can look beyond that because he came through at a very young age at Dortmund and huge credit to him for that. It’s amazing to come through that. He was playing at a top level team at Dortmund.

“There were times when he was in the team, times when he wasn’t, that’s part of development. I was fortunate when I came through in my day because West Ham didn’t have too many players in front of me, so I got opportunities. The pathway was open.

“With Christian, huge credit to him for coming through at Dortmund at a young age, but then it brings other difficulties where sometimes you’re out of the team.

“You come to Chelsea and it’s a similar situation. The demands are huge. The interest from outside is huge and he’s a young boy. I have no problem. I see the big picture with Christian and I see it with all the young players.”

Pulisic started the season in the first XI, with the early-season injuries to Hudson-Odoi, Willian and Pedro meaning that he got a good run in the side.

However, that game time has dramatically tailed off for the winger, and has taken up a less important role within the squad.

And Lampard admits that he does feel some sympathy for Pulisic and his fight to get into his starting team.

"I’m sympathetic to every one of my players. Every game, every selection, I want a group that’s going to be successful over a period of time,” Lampard added.

“To analyse over one game or three games or five games or ten games is difficult for me because sometimes the team will do the talking on the pitch, like they’re doing at the moment. I’m sympathetic to all of them.

“They’re not easy decisions I have to make every Friday, every Saturday, as the week comes to an end. I’m always thinking of the bigger picture and that’s all the players, not focusing on anyone individually.

“I’m sympathetic, yes. Some players will make you feel you need to be a bit tougher, some the opposite, you put your arm round them. I want the best for all of them and then I have to pick my team as I see it."

I'm with you.

CP may not have been tip top, health wise, but even on an off day he's the only guy in the program capable of opening up the game in an instant. Something the US needed desperately vs Canada. Nips has qualities, but not those kind of qualities.

If CP says he was ok, he was ok. I still think ggg was covering his own ### while making a weak effort at also trying to protect CP from criticism.

I said it at the time...benching CP in that situation is a fireable offense, even taking out of the equation any "optics" damage he doing CP toward lampard.
It's even worse when considering how we played in the Gold Cup.  Roldan was easily the worst player on the field at that time.  Take him off, move Pulisic to the 10 and let him and Nips work/move off each other like they did all summer and we might find something.  We clearly needed a change of formation/style at that point, not a player for player replacement.(especially a worse player for player replacement)

Sargent scored early for Werder today for the only goal of the game so far.  But the better news is the Uly is back from injury and had an immediate impact

===========

Future USMNT

Ulysses Llanez is BACK! Returns from injury that's kept him out since the end of August.

Subbed in at 60th minute

Scores tying goal in the 68th minute

Scores winning goal in the 72nd minute

He now has 8 goals and an assist in just 332 minutes for Wolfsburg's U19s

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this the other day.  I remain convinced the US is one of the very few countries that won't fire the coach immediately with these results

============

The USMNT has four losses to CONCACAF teams in 2019. That ties the team record for a calendar year, previously done in 1973 and 1957.

Pulisic is getting ready to come on.
Ok ok...fantastic opportunity for him to create something here and help his team get three points. I love that in spite of a crap international break for CP, lamps still is giving him the chance when points are on the line. Would do wonders for his confidence and the supporters confidence to have CP make something happen.

Solid sub performance in the middle today for Pulisic.  It should at the very least keep him as a viable sub on the bench.  I don't know how serious Barkley's injury is but that might open up more minutes.

And that was an awesome save by Yedlin.

Solid sub performance in the middle today for Pulisic.  It should at the very least keep him as a viable sub on the bench.  I don't know how serious Barkley's injury is but that might open up more minutes.

And that was an awesome save by Yedlin.
Agree.  He brought Chelsea a lot of directness when he came on, which is exactly what you need a sub to do in a tie game.  Great shift by him and he's unlucky to not have a goal and an assist in there too.  

That save by Yedlin was one of the best I've ever seen.  He might be the only player in the EPL with the speed to make that save too.

you could argue Pulisic was involved in the three best scoring chances all day for Chelsea in his sub appearance.

He almost scored, he was a big part of the only goal with the hockey assist and then set up Tammy for a tap in that Yedlin miraculously saved.

Sounds like Steffen finally did not have to stand on his head today as Fortuna secured a rare shut out and an important 3 points to get out of the relegation zone.

Even though Wolfsburg is in 3rd in the table right now, I don't think that may prevent Uly from getting a shot in the spring if he keeps his quality up. 

They have scored the least goals of any team in the top 11 in the league so they may be looking for a spark off the bench come the spring.

I have to double check this but I think it is correct

(DNP = Did not play)

1) DNP DNP DNP

2) Adams DNP DNP

3) DNP  Weston DNP

4) DNP DNP Pulisic

5) Adams Weston DNP

6) Adams DNP Pulisic

7) DNP Weston Pulisic

8] Adams Weston Pulisic

The only combination we have not seen yet is #8. :(

Thought Morris was the only guy who showed up against Canada.

He's seems to be hitting his stride
Relatively speaking, yes he showed up.   He at least ran and tried and set up the only scoring chance of game.  He faded though much like the whole team did in second half.

Sounds like Steffen finally did not have to stand on his head today as Fortuna secured a rare shut out and an important 3 points to get out of the relegation zone.
Just read that this is the first Bundesliga shutout for an American keeper in over 12 years.  Kasey Keller! was the last one to do it.(for Monchengladbach)

Glad to see him excelling!

Pomykal's season is over.  The next step is clear for me.  He has to find a way to get involved in scoring plays much more often. 

He is so close every week with good passes that don't lead to goals or unique shots like this one that are close.  I feel like if he can just get past that albeit enormous hurdle, he will be ready for a big league.

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1185679944518717441?s=20

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
This is strange.  Yesterday Jozy said he could start if asked.  Today he did not even dress for the TFC DC playoff game.

Marky Mark has the lone goal in the game so far.

Users who are viewing this thread