Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Premier

US Men's National Team

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Well the theme of the day is clearly suck for the US and play well back at your club.

Now we add a brace for Morris today (both with his left foot although the second had a Zardes look to it :) )

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/apvdae

https://streamable.com/ombl3

Make that a hat trick.  Scored the game winner in extra time to lead Seattle to a 4-3 win over Dallas.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pomykal's season is over.  The next step is clear for me.  He has to find a way to get involved in scoring plays much more often. 

He is so close every week with good passes that don't lead to goals or unique shots like this one that are close.  I feel like if he can just get past that albeit enormous hurdle, he will be ready for a big league.

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1185679944518717441?s=20

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is strange.  Yesterday Jozy said he could start if asked.  Today he did not even dress for the TFC DC playoff game.

Marky Mark has the lone goal in the game so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, encaitar said:

Just read that this is the first Bundesliga shutout for an American keeper in over 12 years.  Kasey Keller! was the last one to do it.(for Monchengladbach)

Glad to see him excelling!

We should probably stick to Guzan.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pomykal's season is over.  The next step is clear for me.  He has to find a way to get involved in scoring plays much more often. 

He is so close every week with good passes that don't lead to goals or unique shots like this one that are close.  I feel like if he can just get past that albeit enormous hurdle, he will be ready for a big league.

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1185679944518717441?s=20

Don’t know if there’s a clip of it, but Pom forced Frei into a great save in ET.  Should’ve been the game winner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lampard continues to say what we want to hear:

 

Quote

 

”Christian came on in a position just behind Tammy and started to turn and get at people, which created the goal. So, I’m pleased. That’s the way we are. We have to play like that.”

“I’m really pleased for him. He’s a hot topic because of the price tag. Because of his status in his national team, and his world status through that. And everyone has got a little bit carried away with the short term. The long term is that he’s come here and he’s just turned 21 and to see him play like he did today, and there’s a lot more to come.

”It’s not the end story. You can see his balance and awareness and you can see how he can play. And there’s improvement to come as with all the young players, but delighted for him because he will feel good about that. And he should do because he was a big part of us winning that game.”

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Lampard continues to say what we want to hear:

 

 

The best part of this situation for me is Pulisic's resilience. 

He shows all the signs of someone who is mentally fragile and he is in the midst of the lowest point of his career and still bounced back with a strong performance where as he could have easily turtled instead and made things worse.

We don't have to look hard for a Yank comparison since Landon had plenty of mental problems he was not able to fight through like hopefully Pulisic is doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I have to double check this but I think it is correct

(DNP = Did not play)

1) DNP DNP DNP

2) Adams DNP DNP

3) DNP  Weston DNP

4) DNP DNP Pulisic

5) Adams Weston DNP

6) Adams DNP Pulisic

7) DNP Weston Pulisic

8] Adams Weston Pulisic

 

The only combination we have not seen yet is #8. :(

 

 

This dnp sounds pretty consistent. Lets make him a LB

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

The best part of this situation for me is Pulisic's resilience. 

He shows all the signs of someone who is mentally fragile and he is in the midst of the lowest point of his career and still bounced back with a strong performance where as he could have easily turtled instead and made things worse.

We don't have to look hard for a Yank comparison since Landon had plenty of mental problems he was not able to fight through like hopefully Pulisic is doing.

Did you mean resilient?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Why not, everyone else scored this weekend.  Lletget scored tonight for LA in their 2-1

Look, playing against super elite upper tier teams in a hostile international match is far different more difficult than playing in the MLS playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the U17's got a dose of reality yesterday losing 4-1 to Brazil in a warm up game for the WC.  I think only Gio was missing.  Pepe was the goal scorer for the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Looks like the U17's got a dose of reality yesterday losing 4-1 to Brazil in a warm up game for the WC.  I think only Gio was missing.  Pepe was the goal scorer for the US.

Wc starts very soon, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this was painful and long but my god does it show all the dysfunction in US Soccer in regards to Latinos.

You won't go a paragraph with out shaking your head.

Whether it is the sublime of Brad Rothenberg (yes, that Rothenberg family) finding talent for Mexico since US Soccer has ignored them, to the absolutely ridiculous of Hugo Perez being told by the higher ups in US Soccer not to speak Spanish to any players, you will find a ton of painful tidbits.

US Soccer should bury their heads in shame  that a non hatchet article can make them look so incompetent...

US Soccer Is Neglecting Latino Talent—and It Shows

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how I feel about this.  Fab came with a ton of problems but even accounting for all of those he is still a better choice than Lovitz at this point in time IMO.

=======================================================

"Of course [I want back in]," Johnson said. "I told [Berhalter] that I am ready for the national team. I'm looking forward to coming in, but I never got invited."

Berhalter told Goal.com in March that he would consider Johnson if he was needed. Johnson wasn't called up for the last qualifiers in 2017, which is the last time he featured for the national team. In  the span of 2014 to 2016, he had double-digit appearances each year and has averaged double-digit appearances over the last five years. 

"I spoke to him and said, 'Listen, if you're needed, we'll certainly look at you and bring you in.' I'm very comfortable with Fabian and what he's done," Berhalter said. "I've known him for a long time. I've probably known him for 12 years. I played with him in Germany and I left the door open and I said, 'We'll stay in contact'."    

Obviously, since that talk Johnson has not gotten the call. He started the season for Monchengladbach healthy but picked up a groin injury that has seen him rehabbing, and he's set to return to playing for his club team in the coming weeks.

"Right now, to be honest, I'm just trying to focus my comeback to the season and healthy," Johnson said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Well this was painful and long but my god does it show all the dysfunction in US Soccer in regards to Latinos.

You won't go a paragraph with out shaking your head.

Whether it is the sublime of Brad Rothenberg (yes, that Rothenberg family) finding talent for Mexico since US Soccer has ignored them, to the absolutely ridiculous of Hugo Perez being told by the higher ups in US Soccer not to speak Spanish to any players, you will find a ton of painful tidbits.

US Soccer should bury their heads in shame  that a non hatchet article can make them look so incompetent...

US Soccer Is Neglecting Latino Talent—and It Shows

Thanks for that... I guess. :sadbanana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@hugoperez_07

I received many questions on the article today. Yes those occurrences did happen. it was one of many different points of view I had vs they had.I spoke Spanish to the players that understood it. There are words in my culture that can be lost in translation and are not the same.

I spoke English almost exclusively - I was lucky to go to school here in this country that has given me and my family everything so I know English pretty well to speak it in my sessions with players comfortably. I do not hold anything against the federation and we parted ways

They disagreed with me and I disagreed with them. It happens in this sport at the highest levels. I played for Bora who spoke English and Spanish during sessions. “Buena” and “good job” weigh differently as an example. Mean the same but for a Hispanic player buena means the world

I wish the best of luck always to US teams. It’s who I represented for 10 yrs. I was seen as an American everywhere I played. I am proud to be a citizen of this great country. When I played I pushed to be the best. I treated my job the same way. I pushed so we’d be the best.

I don’t say things now to cause trouble. This is just a place where I can express my thoughts on how I see the game or like now a chance to clear this up if it was unclear. I hope this is not taken in a negative way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NewlyRetired said:

@hugoperez_07

I received many questions on the article today. Yes those occurrences did happen. it was one of many different points of view I had vs they had.I spoke Spanish to the players that understood it. There are words in my culture that can be lost in translation and are not the same.

I spoke English almost exclusively - I was lucky to go to school here in this country that has given me and my family everything so I know English pretty well to speak it in my sessions with players comfortably. I do not hold anything against the federation and we parted ways

They disagreed with me and I disagreed with them. It happens in this sport at the highest levels. I played for Bora who spoke English and Spanish during sessions. “Buena” and “good job” weigh differently as an example. Mean the same but for a Hispanic player buena means the world

I wish the best of luck always to US teams. It’s who I represented for 10 yrs. I was seen as an American everywhere I played. I am proud to be a citizen of this great country. When I played I pushed to be the best. I treated my job the same way. I pushed so we’d be the best.

I don’t say things now to cause trouble. This is just a place where I can express my thoughts on how I see the game or like now a chance to clear this up if it was unclear. I hope this is not taken in a negative way.

I attended quite a few practices when Bora was coaching (this was back when no one even knew who the team was so you could basically walk up and sit on the bench with the players).

I was no linguist, but Bora spoke a language he had to have made up.  It was a constant mix of English, German and Spanish and what ever he used as a kid in Yugoslavia.   You had no idea what the sentence structure was but the meaning was always clear.

He used to have a blast with reporters as any time he was asked a question he did not like he would transition into his Bora speak and leave the reporters dumb founded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Well this was painful and long but my god does it show all the dysfunction in US Soccer in regards to Latinos.

You won't go a paragraph with out shaking your head.

Whether it is the sublime of Brad Rothenberg (yes, that Rothenberg family) finding talent for Mexico since US Soccer has ignored them, to the absolutely ridiculous of Hugo Perez being told by the higher ups in US Soccer not to speak Spanish to any players, you will find a ton of painful tidbits.

US Soccer should bury their heads in shame  that a non hatchet article can make them look so incompetent...

US Soccer Is Neglecting Latino Talent—and It Shows

Yeah, this pisses me off. A lot.

I just dont understand how anyone who has presumably dedicated their life to US soccer would have any hesitancy to turn over every possible stone in search of players and ways to improve the program.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TLEF316 said:

Yeah, this pisses me off. A lot.

I just dont understand how anyone who has presumably dedicated their life to US soccer would have any hesitancy to turn over every possible stone in search of players and ways to improve the program.

The incredible thing for me is the time frame.

I started following US Soccer (or the USSF as it was known then) back in the mid to late 80's.  As a kid I subscribed to Soccer America (pretty much the only American soccer magazine outside of the little known Soccer Digest which was focused more on indoor soccer).   Even back in the 80's, the main Soccer America columnist, Paul Gardner, was constantly writing articles about how it was time for US Soccer to start to pay attention to and integrate latino's.  That was 30 ####### years ago :(

By the way, that is the same Paul Gardner who was quoted in this story the Nation wrote today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The incredible thing for me is the time frame.

I started following US Soccer (or the USSF as it was known then) back in the mid to late 80's.  As a kid I subscribed to Soccer America (pretty much the only American soccer magazine outside of the little known Soccer Digest which was focused more on indoor soccer).   Even back in the 80's, the main Soccer America columnist, Paul Gardner, was constantly writing articles about how it was time for US Soccer to start to pay attention to and integrate latino's.  That was 30 ####### years ago :(

By the way, that is the same Paul Gardner who was quoted in this story the Nation wrote today.

I knew I recognized the name! I used to get SA too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I knew I recognized the name! I used to get SA too.

he looked so old in the 80's.   :)

He must be ancient now :)

He wrote the same theme about 10 times a year.  I remember even getting sick of reading about the Latino's but he was right in the end.  It was an interesting perspective because he was a Englishman who absolutely hated English soccer and felt they coached US very poorly in the 70's and 80's when the Brits dominated the coaching scene here in the US.

Edited by NewlyRetired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well deserved

======

SEATTLE, WASH. – Major League Soccer today announced that Seattle Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris has been named 2019 MLS Comeback Player of the Year. Morris ranked second on Sounders FC with both 10 goals and a career-high seven assists during the regular season after sitting out all of 2018 with a torn ACL.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Well deserved

======

SEATTLE, WASH. – Major League Soccer today announced that Seattle Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris has been named 2019 MLS Comeback Player of the Year. Morris ranked second on Sounders FC with both 10 goals and a career-high seven assists during the regular season after sitting out all of 2018 with a torn ACL.

He seemed a lock, imo, but good for him. He's looked to be fulfilling that early potential this year- and even with an occasional left foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

He seemed a lock, imo, but good for him. He's looked to be fulfilling that early potential this year- and even with an occasional left foot.

Yeah, he all but killed the meme of no left foot this year.  Kudos to him though, you don't often see a player his age improve his off foot to this degree.

I mean its obviously not Preki's left foot but at least it does more than keep him from falling over now, which is probably as much as we could have hoped for.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Opara won defender of the year, and Gil newcomer...or was it rookie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

I see Opara won defender of the year, and Gil newcomer...or was it rookie?

Gil was newcomer.  Shinyashiki from Colorado won rookie of the year.

It is a shame about Opara.  He is now a two time MLS defender of the year with just one measely cap to his name.  He is another what if guy, wondering what he could have been if he ever stayed healthy.  it seemed like every time he was ready to make the jump, he got hurt.

Still playing extremelybwell at 30 but sadly his international window has probably passed him by.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After playing well the last few weeks, this seems right on queue

========

@BrianSciaretta

Cameron Carter-Vickers leaves Stoke's game today in the first half with an injury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

After playing well the last few weeks, this seems right on queue

========

@BrianSciaretta

Cameron Carter-Vickers leaves Stoke's game today in the first half with an injury

And somewhere, Jozys hamstring tore in sympathy.

  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uly's dad continuing to drive everyone nuts with his cryptic tweets :)

=====================================

Sr. Ulysses Perez Llanez

Sooner or later the truth will be told

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of truth, making the rounds on twitter from Holland was that Dest is expected to make his decision this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the US U17 TV schedule for the WC group stage.  it is expected to be a very tough group.

Sunday, Oct. 27 3:50 p.m. USA vs. Senegal FS1, Telemundo

Wednesday, Oct. 30 6:50 p.m. USA vs. Japan FS2, Universo

Saturday, Nov. 2 6:50 p.m. USA vs. Netherlands FS2, Universo

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Here is the US U17 TV schedule for the WC group stage.  it is expected to be a very tough group.

Sunday, Oct. 27 3:50 p.m. USA vs. Senegal FS1, Telemundo

Wednesday, Oct. 30 6:50 p.m. USA vs. Japan FS2, Universo

Saturday, Nov. 2 6:50 p.m. USA vs. Netherlands FS2, Universo

Thanks! Looks like they'll have to earn progress from that group... Historically top tier teams from each region. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While it obviously will never happen, this is one hell of a fun idea :)

===========

@thetylerschmidt

Sergiño is going to do a jersey swap with Pulisic today after the Chelsea Ajax match and when he takes off his jersey he will be wearing a USMNT shirt under it.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I would love to see Pulisic get another 20-30 minutes in the middle today.

Does anyone know the health of Barkley? @CletiusMaximus

Ruled out for Ajax, in doubt for the weekend 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

While it obviously will never happen, this is one hell of a fun idea :)

===========

@thetylerschmidt

Sergiño is going to do a jersey swap with Pulisic today after the Chelsea Ajax match and when he takes off his jersey he will be wearing a USMNT shirt under it.

Or a more subtle Captain America shirt.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Champstat

Tim Ream is the only Championship player to have completed over 1,000 successful passes so far this season - 1,012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

@Champstat

Tim Ream is the only Championship player to have completed over 1,000 successful passes so far this season - 1,012. He is also the only Championship player to have the opposition run by him as if he's standing still- over 4,500 times

 

 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NizaarKinsella

USMNT manager Gregg Berhalter here in Amsterdam today to see Pulisic and Dest of Ajax. Big fight to get him to choose USA over Netherlands too. He is sat next to me at the Youth League match

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob Bradley was named MLS coach of the year.  He is the first coach in MLS history to win the award with three different teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are probably grasping at straws but Dest did say he has made his choice and will be announced soon, on the recent Fox interview, and people have noted that his instagram profile pic still shows him in a US kit.

I still give it about a 25% chance he chooses the US.  I am glad it was not a slam dunk decision for him in any case.

Edited by NewlyRetired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

I would love to see Pulisic get another 20-30 minutes in the middle today.

Does anyone know the health of Barkley? @CletiusMaximus

Good for Pulisic -- Barkley is out.

Bad for Pulisic -- Kante is out.  A huge game for Chelsea if they hope to advance. Playing a team that will attack (completely unlike Newcastle this past weekend). All of which likely adds up to a start for Willian.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Good for Pulisic -- Barkley is out.

Bad for Pulisic -- Kante is out.  A huge game for Chelsea if they hope to advance. Playing a team that will attack (completely unlike Newcastle this past weekend). All of which likely adds up to a start for Willian.

Didn't Wilian start the last game and Kante was out as well?

If that is true, some one needs to start for Barkley if it is a similar lineup. Not saying this will be Pulisic but some one has to take the spot that did not start against Newcastle.

 

Edited by NewlyRetired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Future USMNT

Konrad de la Fuente with 2 goals for Barcelona in the UEFA Youth League today! Man of the match as well. 4-0 win for Barca on the road against Slavia Prague

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Didn't Wilian start the last game and Kante was out as well?

If that is true, some one needs to start for Barkley if it is a similar lineup. Not saying this will be Pulisic but some one has to take the spot that did not start against Newcastle.

 

Kovacic will start in Barkley's place.  He likely should be anyway since he's been miles better than Barkley in his time on the field.  The only other midfielder along though is Billy Gilmour, who is an untested 18 year old.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.