Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Premier

US Men's National Team

This guy has been off the radar for most fans since he plays in a league that very few follow but it is good that he is getting noticed.

===============

@RGonzalezCBS

Hearing that several Bundesliga clubs are closely tracking US U-20 midfielder Christian Cappis, who is currently at Hobro IK in Denmark

• Like 1

@usmntonly

Christian Pulisic is on the bench for Chelsea. Sergino Dest starts for Ajax, with Gregg Berhalter and Earnie Stewart in attendance

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I assume Earnie is here for one last pitch to Dest.

You give him 25%... I'm more like 5. 

Did just read the Robo was MotM last weekend. And Gloster's getting regular starts for his youth team if I read right. Lower ceilings than Dest fo sho, but at least they're decent players waiting back there.

Is there a chance Konrad bails too? 

11 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

@usmntonly

Christian Pulisic is on the bench for Chelsea. Sergino Dest starts for Ajax, with Gregg Berhalter and Earnie Stewart in attendance

To me, this falls under the category of "I don't give a damn."

Every day that Berhalter and Stewart are in charge of the national team program is another day of failure. Because if Dest were smart, he would stay miles away from this clown show. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

You give him 25%... I'm more like 5. 

Did just read the Robo was MotM last weekend. And Gloster's getting regular starts for his youth team if I read right. Lower ceilings than Dest fo sho, but at least they're decent players waiting back there.

Is there a chance Konrad bails too? 

I am fine with 5.  I just don't think it is zero else he would have made the choice last month imo.

No way Konrad plays for Haiti imo.  Or at least I should say he has an extremely low chance.

From last I read, he is not eligible to play for Spain under their rules.  That may change in the coming years though if he stays in the country. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiefD said:

To me, this falls under the category of "I don't give a damn."

Every day that Berhalter and Stewart are in charge of the national team program is another day of failure. Because if Dest were smart, he would stay miles away from this clown show. 

I am hoping that whom ever is advising Dest is telling him to not make a ~14 year decision based on a coach who might be fired in a month.

My guess is that Berhalter is way down on the list of priorities for him in making this decision but I obviously can't know for sure.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

@usmntonly

Good opportunity today for Pulisic to get minutes.  Chelsea will almost certainly concede goals to this Ajax team and I would expect to see changes up front if they need a goal or two in the second half.  They brought two 9's (Giroud and Bats), but no other wingers.  I believe Pedro is healthy, and this is the second game in a row he's not made the bench.  That means Pulisic may now be the default sub for both Mount and Willian.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I am hoping that whom ever is advising Dest is telling him to not make a ~14 year decision based on a coach who might be fired in a month.

My guess is that Berhalter is way down on the list of priorities for him in making this decision but I obviously can't know for sure.

I agree, but at the same time the coach and director are the guys who are going to be making the selections, so you also can't guess at future coaches and what they might want or not want. See.. LD.

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I agree, but at the same time the coach and director are the guys who are going to be making the selections, so you also can't guess at future coaches and what they might want or not want. See.. LD.

Right, but that may actually slightly favor the US.

I think he has to know that Berhalter likes him and that he is an auto start unless he completely face plants.  He can't have that level of assurance yet, I don't think, with Keomen.

Obviously there could not be a bigger gap between the direction of the two countries national teams and that has to significantly favor Holland.

To me, if he was going to choose the US AND was intending to make his decision public soon, today after the game probably make a lot of sense with Berhalter and Earnie both there.

If we don't here him choose the US today, I think that lowers and already low chance

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Right, but that may actually slightly favor the US.

I think he has to know that Berhalter likes him and that he is an auto start unless he completely face plants.  He can't have that level of assurance yet, I don't think, with Keomen.

Obviously there could not be a bigger gap between the direction of the two countries national teams and that has to significantly favor Holland.

One of the articles I read today mentioned Dest having the inside track to start in the 2020 euros. Whether that came from the reporter or inside koemans camp, I dunno. I did see koeman quoted as saying he'd let dest know who the competition was and where he stood....can't ask for much more than that imo.

• Like 1

Marschs RBs just went down 0-1 at home

Pulisic and Dest on the field against each other in Champions League play :wub:

• Like 1

CP beats Dest and gets the assist to put Chelsea up 1-0

Double win for US? CP gets confidence maybe Dest looks bad in the eyes of the Dutch.

Edited by SwampDawg
  • Like 2

I'm following the BBC feed, and they're making CP out to be the spark Chelsea needed. "To say that Pulisic has galvanized this side is an understatement. The guy is a bundle of positive energy"

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I'm following the BBC feed, and they're making CP out to be the spark Chelsea needed. "To say that Pulisic has galvanized this side is an understatement. The guy is a bundle of positive energy"

Looked very good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Marschs RBs just went down 0-1 at home

End up winning 2-1.

Good for the good guys.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

They weren't wrong.  Chelsea's attack was stagnant and a step slow all game.  The minute Pulisic was subbed in, they were on the front foot and bringing the game to Ajax.  If Lampard was looking for a reason to get Christian more minutes, this game was likely a pretty good audition.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, encaitar said:

They weren't wrong.  Chelsea's attack was stagnant and a step slow all game.  The minute Pulisic was subbed in, they were on the front foot and bringing the game to Ajax.  If Lampard was looking for a reason to get Christian more minutes, this game was likely a pretty good audition.

Two good games in a row too.  He was a good spark in the Newcastle game as well.  Great to see.

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

Two good games in a row too.  He was a good spark in the Newcastle game as well.  Great to see.

BBC feed made it sound like willian got hammered on a tackle and may have taken a knock? That might further open things up for CP this weekend, especially if Barkley's still iffy.

5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The game winner was out of this world

https://streamja.com/O3Jp

Amazing goal! And perfect camera angle to see it's amazingness

• Like 1

Damn it, another bad beat :)

LAFC's Servando Carrasco and Alex Morgan just announced they will be having a child in the spring.  A daughter of course, just our luck :)

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

Damn it, another bad beat :)

LAFC's Servando Carrasco and Alex Morgan just announced they will be having a child in the spring.  A daughter of course, just our luck :)

Could be binary and/or identify as a boy...win!

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Amazing goal! And perfect camera angle to see it's amazingness

Except that was the wrong Red Bulls. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ned said:

Yep.  Salzburg lost today 2-3 to Napoli.

23 minutes ago, Ned said:

15 minutes ago, encaitar said:

Yep.  Salzburg lost today 2-3 to Napoli.

:bag:

:lol:

And here I thought Ned was trying to make me feel better for his union deservedly ending my RBs season.

• Laughing 2

Since I just did this work for reddit, I might as well post it here as well.  here is a list of every US player who played in the U17 World Cup/Championship and was eventually capped by the senior team.

1991: Matt McKeon, Nelson Vargas, Mike Slivinski, Mark Jonas

1993: Jon Busch, John O'Brien, Jorge Flores

1995: Nick Rimando, Tim Howard, Nick Garcia

1997: Danny Califf, Taylor Twellman

1999: Landon Donovan, DeMarcus Beasley, Kyle Beckerman, Bobby Convey, Oguchi Onyewu

2001: Justin Mapp, Santino Quaranta, Eddie Johnson, Chad Marshall

2003: Jonathan Spector, Eddie Gavin, Freddy Adu, Danny Szetela

2005: Jozy Altidore, Omar Gonzalez

2007: Brek Shea, Greg Garza

2009: Perry Kitchen, Luis Gil, Juan Agudelo

2011: Kellyn Acosta, Paul Arriola

2013: Did not qualify

2015: Christian Pulisic, Tyler Adams, Luca De La Tore, Matthew Olusunde

2017: Josh Sargent, Tim Weah, Sergino Dest

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's fantastic...thanks for that, Andy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, El Floppo said:

That's fantastic...thanks for that, Andy.

I compiled it out of confusion to be honest.  US Soccer released this info yesterday,

"In total, 26 U-17 World Cup alumni have been capped by the full MNT, while 15 have played in a senior World Cup. Current U-17 forward Gio Reyna will appear in the U-17 World Cup 30 years after his father Claudio represented the USA at the 1989 tournament in Scotland."

It felt wrong from the get go.  The 26 number seemed to low to me (I came up with 41).  They also appear to have included Claudio in their list from 1989, but the U17 age group for FIFA did not start until 1991.  I think the old age group was younger (15 or 16).

In any case, their method for determining the 26 players was different from how I think of it.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 2

Hoping Keaton can play his way into contention for the US again...I think the kid has a lampard vibe to him

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Hoping Keaton can play his way into contention for the US again...I think the kid has a lampard vibe to him

He is one of many players who I think either are currently or will shortly be big upgrades over Roldan.

I am following online but it sounds like Sean Johnson has played very well for NYC so far, keeping them in the game against Toronto.

Pulisic has tied Jermaine Jones for the most Champions League appearances for a USMNT player.

Pulisic continues to lead Chelsea in assists across all competitions, now with 5.   Hopefully he will put a bulge in the ol' onion bag soon.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pulisic has tied Jermaine Jones for the most Champions League appearances for a USMNT player.

Pulisic continues to lead Chelsea in assists across all competitions, now with 5.   Hopefully he will put a bulge in the ol' onion bag soon.

That's what she said.

12 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I compiled it out of confusion to be honest.  US Soccer released this info yesterday,

"In total, 26 U-17 World Cup alumni have been capped by the full MNT, while 15 have played in a senior World Cup. Current U-17 forward Gio Reyna will appear in the U-17 World Cup 30 years after his father Claudio represented the USA at the 1989 tournament in Scotland."

It felt wrong from the get go.  The 26 number seemed to low to me (I came up with 38).  They also appear to have included Claudio in their list from 1989, but the U17 age group for FIFA did not start until 1991.  I think the old age group was younger (15 or 16).

In any case, their method for determining the 26 players was different from how I think of it.

Wanna unretire and run US Soccer for us?

pretty please!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ned said:

Wanna unretire and run US Soccer for us?

pretty please!

I bet I do know more history than what ever interns they use to create some of the press releases :)

The new FIFA rankings are out.  These would be the hex teams if it started now.

Mexico, US, CR, Jamaica, Honduras, Canada

Of these 5 possible opponents, the US has played three of them this year (total of 4 games) and has lost all 4.   Yikes :(

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

It felt wrong from the get go.  The 26 number seemed to low to me (I came up with 38).  They also appear to have included Claudio in their list from 1989, but the U17 age group for FIFA did not start until 1991.  I think the old age group was younger (15 or 16).

You think they were talking only of caps in competitive matches?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blend said:

You think they were talking only of caps in competitive matches?  

I tried to make that work as well but couldn't.  They used a different methodology than I did obviously (or the intern simply made a couple of mistakes).  And they clearly used a different yearly time frame than I did if they added Claudio as well since he never played in a U17 format.

No big deal though, my list is still some what interesting because it does give us a good idea of why we need tempering of expectations for players of this age group.  Outside of the miraculous group from 1999, you can't expect much effect on the full national team.

This is important to remind myself as I might be overly interested in our current group going into the WC.

• Like 1