What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (16 Viewers)

By the way, I have to say on whole after reading Dutch fans thoughts all day, they are much more understanding of this stuff than we were when we lost Gonzalez.

From what I read they have another dual nat expected to be better than Dest that is waiting to choose between Holland and Morocco. 

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I have to say on whole after reading Dutch fans thoughts all day, they are much more understanding of this stuff than we were when we lost Gonzalez.

From what I read they have another dual nat expected to be better than Dest that is waiting to choose between Holland and Morocco. 
To be fair, it's not the same situation.  Their national team did nothing to develop Dest.  He played for the US youth teams only.  Meanwhile, Jon Gon was a US born citizen that had spent his entire career in the US youth system.  Then he betrayed his home country and teammates of 5+ years and crossed over because El Fed bought him a couple of hookers.

This situation is basically the Efrain Alvarez situation and I don't think you'll hear very much #####ing about that one since his intentions have been the same since he was a kid.

Charlie Steiner said:
I love Swag's game, but I think he and Adams need to swap spots.  Adams' motor can put more pressure on opposing defenses than Swag's, and playing further back, I think, allows more of Swag's skills to shine, and he can provide the ability to move the ball forward from deep, which you say Long can't do.

.......................Steffen

........Brooks.....Mazda.... Long

Cannon/yedlin....Swag..... Dest

Lletget/weah................Adams............... CP

.................ginjah-ninjah/jozy
Based on what I've seen from Adams for RBs ny and Germany, gonna disagree. Not that he's not decent getting forward, but what I've seen from him is straight up Marsch tactics- direct or it's off. To me, Adams strengths are his ability to read and cover space on both sides of the ball,...Andy mentioned the "magnet". He can close the space/ball/man like not many people...sim to Kante, imo. Swag is good at that too, but nothing like Adams. And swag has much more variation to his game going forward than Adams...more of a deuce quality in terms of the mentality but also what he's trying to do. Let that guy play pushed higher and let Adams boss the space in front of the back four, pushing forward when opportunity arises.

Did he play soccer at some point like ochocinco?

Sorry if I ruined the joke.
not that I know of, and what joke are you referring to?

My post was serious.  I think it is great to see other professional players in other sports wearing his jersey and being promoted by their NBA's social media account.  It is starting to show Pulisic's ability to cross over to people outside of soccer in terms of marketing and recognition.

not that I know of, and what joke are you referring to?

My post was serious.  I think it is great to see other professional players in other sports wearing his jersey and being promoted by their NBA's social media account.  It is starting to show Pulisic's ability to cross over to people outside of soccer in terms of marketing and recognition.
Lol. I thought the other guy was the crossover. Totally misunderstood.

Yeah....great if CP can get some fans outside of us knuckledragging soccer people.

Still can't believe he picked us.

I feel like the ugly mean-spirited pimply braces kid who the popular girl asked to the prom.

Waiting for the bucket o blood, tbh

To be fair, it's not the same situation.  Their national team did nothing to develop Dest.  He played for the US youth teams only.  Meanwhile, Jon Gon was a US born citizen that had spent his entire career in the US youth system.  Then he betrayed his home country and teammates of 5+ years and crossed over because El Fed bought him a couple of hookers.

This situation is basically the Efrain Alvarez situation and I don't think you'll hear very much #####ing about that one since his intentions have been the same since he was a kid.
Dutch also have a bit of a luxury of players to choose from compared to the US.  Makes it a bit easier for the fans to swallow a loss like this.

Still can't believe he picked us.

I feel like the ugly mean-spirited pimply braces kid who the popular girl asked to the prom.

Waiting for the bucket o blood, tbh
No joke, I pulled up @Ned US spreadsheet to update Dest's dual nat status and I did not do it.  I don't want to jinx anything before he is cap tied for good.

:)
My first reaction was to emphatically delete that ####### cell, but then changed my mind for the same reasons.  :lmao:   :hifive:  

My first reaction was to emphatically delete that ####### cell, but then changed my mind for the same reasons.  :lmao:   :hifive:  
It is a strange sensation.  Ever since he turned down the October call up, I pretty much stopped following him like I do the other over seas guys.  I thought that feeling would change but I am still weary something could go wrong.   I know it is not rationale.  At least in a few weeks I can start enjoying his progress like we do with Adams, Pulisic, Swag and Sargent.

The MLS conference finals are tonight and tomorrow.

It looks for now that the LAFC - Seattle game will kick off as expected but they will continue to monitor the air quality due to the fires.

Atlanta vs Toronto is tomorrow night but I read that Jozy may not have even made the flight to Atlanta.

I know he has not been the reincarnation of Maldini when he has played for the US but I can't find any way he is not better than Lovitz in almost every phase of the game.

=====================

@FutureUsmnt

Antonee Robinson has been named to WhoScored's Championship Team of the Month.

uh.... ok.

I guess he's still young... and it's not his mother-tongue... but, not seemingly a lot of profound thought going on in that noggin. 

reading waaaaaay between the lines- I get the impression that he sees getting more time with the US, and possibly being a star for them rather than just struggling to make the team. :shrug:
I think he was wary of saying something stupid.  It seemed like the interviewer, who also appeared to be Dutch, tried to probe deeper than Dest wanted to answer.

The only thing I got out of it is that he seemed to want to make it clear that even though he talked to his parents he made the decision alone.

I should also note that I have listened to a hand few of interviews with Dest over the last year or so (in English) and he always sounds like this.

NewlyRetired said:
I should also note that I have listened to a hand few of interviews with Dest over the last year or so (in English) and he always sounds like this.
He can sound like Trump for all I care if he can play LB and help us win a game against someone besides St. Barts.

@CletiusMaximus  I am not asking if Chelsea will start Pulisic today in the Moose Cup game.  But I am wondering if you think Chelsea will play a mostly first choice lineup or rest a bunch of players.

@CletiusMaximus  I am not asking if Chelsea will start Pulisic today in the Moose Cup game.  But I am wondering if you think Chelsea will play a mostly first choice lineup or rest a bunch of players.
Its Man United at home, so he's got to make a strong showing and play to win.  That said, we'd expect a few younger guys and backups in the EFL Cup.  The upcoming fixtures aren't particularly cramped, so he can pretty much do what he wants.  The roster has been so fluid this season, particularly in the midfield, its very hard so say which players are "first choice."  Hudson-Odoi started the last game on the bench, so I expect he'll play. Pedro has been a healthy scratch for several games now, so might get a run.  I would not be surprised to see Pulisic on the bench.  That would actually be a great sign for him, indicating he is now a player who gets rested for the League Cup games rather than viewing those games as opportunities for starts and minutes. 

Its Man United at home, so he's got to make a strong showing and play to win.  That said, we'd expect a few younger guys and backups in the EFL Cup.  The upcoming fixtures aren't particularly cramped, so he can pretty much do what he wants.  The roster has been so fluid this season, particularly in the midfield, its very hard so say which players are "first choice."  Hudson-Odoi started the last game on the bench, so I expect he'll play. Pedro has been a healthy scratch for several games now, so might get a run.  I would not be surprised to see Pulisic on the bench.  That would actually be a great sign for him, indicating he is now a player who gets rested for the League Cup games rather than viewing those games as opportunities for starts and minutes. 
When is Pedro's contract up?  He seems like he would be an ideal signing for an MLS team as a player who might not be a top ten team in the world quality any more but that would very good for many many teams in the world for a couple of more years.

When is Pedro's contract up?  He seems like he would be an ideal signing for an MLS team as a player who might not be a top ten team in the world quality any more but that would very good for many many teams in the world for a couple of more years.
I believe Pedro and Willian are both out of contract this summer.  I can already hear the wails of protest when the club signs another young winger in the summer window.  They pretty much have to, but it will be seen by most as a threat to Captain America.

I believe Pedro and Willian are both out of contract this summer.  I can already hear the wails of protest when the club signs another young winger in the summer window.  They pretty much have to, but it will be seen by most as a threat to Captain America.
I don't understand the wails of protest to be honest, and I agree they will happen. 

Everyone wants our players to progress to the best leagues and hopefully to the best teams.  This is what happens at the best teams.  The competition for minutes is extreme.

Fans should not expect to have their cake and eat it too.  They can't complain about the lack of competition for minutes in a league like MLS and then also complain about the extreme competition for minutes at the top clubs.

@RGonzalezCBS

Some U.S. Soccer fans have been worried about whether Mexico will go hard after Richie Ledezma, especially since he looks set to debut with PSV's first team soon. I'm told he hasn't heard from Mexico lately and is only focused on PSV at the moment.

In classic U17 form, Senegal was considered to be weakest in the group and in their first two games they thumped both the US and Holland and have advanced to the next round.

The US made 5 changes today in the lineup and are currently tied 0-0 at half with Japan (who had beat Holland in their first game).

In classic U17 form, Senegal was considered to be weakest in the group and in their first two games they thumped both the US and Holland and have advanced to the next round.

The US made 5 changes today in the lineup and are currently tied 0-0 at half with Japan (who had beat Holland in their first game).
Japan spanked Holland in the first game, fwiw. So maybe the bigger surprise is that Holland is weak.

US got the point they needed to stay alive.  They will most likely need a win against Holland in the last game to advance.

Very uninspiring 0-0 game.  Japan had the better chances but over all not much was going on.

US got the point they needed to stay alive.  They will most likely need a win against Holland in the last game to advance.

Very uninspiring 0-0 game.  Japan had the better chances but over all not much was going on.
60-40 possession to Japan, but about equal in shots. Did the us try to play it ever so slowly out of the back again, or were they more direct?

60-40 possession to Japan, but about equal in shots. Did the us try to play it ever so slowly out of the back again, or were they more direct?
they were much more compact and tried to counter but so many good chances were easily stomped out.

Reyna got free on a defended corner kick and used his speed to get himself a breakaway (after about a 60 yard run) but got the ball caught in his feet at the last second and got off a weak shot that a defender saved near the line.

Other than that, I saw no good opportunities from the run of play.  Every other decent scoring chance came from a set piece.

US players in action...

England

EFL Cup

Christian Pulisic started and played 70 minutes in Chelsea’s 2-1 loss to Manchester United on Wednesday.

Lynden Gooch did not dress in Sunderland’s 4-2 penalty shootout loss to Oxford United on Tuesday.

Germany

DFB Pokal

Josh Sargent started, registered ONE assist, and played 90 minutes in Werder Bremen’s 4-1 win over Heidenheim on Wednesday.

Alfredo Morales started and played 90 minutes in Fortuna Dusseldorf’s 2-1 win over Erzgebirge Aue on Wednesday.

Weston McKennie started, registered ONE assist, and played 73 minutes in Schalke’s 3-2 win over Arminia Bielefeld on Tuesday.

Timothy Chandler started and played 45 minutes in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 2-1 win over St. Pauli on Wednesday.

Khiry Shelton came off the bench and played three minutes in Paderborn’s 1-0 loss to Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday.

Bobby Wood dressed but did not play in Hamburg’s 2-1 loss to Stuttgart on Tuesday.

John Brooks dressed but did not play in Wolfsburg’s 6-1 loss to RB Leipzig on Wednesday.

Tyler Adams did not dress for RB Leipzig.

Zack Steffen did not dress for Fortuna Dusseldorf.

Regionalliga

Brady Scott started and played 90 minutes in Koln II’s 2-1 loss to Fortuna Dusseldorf on Wednesday.

Netherlands

KNVB Cup

Haji Wright came off the bench, scored ONE goal, and played one minute in VVV Venlo’s 4-2 penalty shootout loss to Groene Star on Wednesday.

Desevio Payne did not dress in FC Emmen’s 3-2 loss to NAC Breda on Tuesday.

Scotland

Premier League

Niko Hamalainen started and played 90 minutes in Kilmarnock’s 2-1 loss to Motherwell on Wednesday.

Matt Polster did not dress in Rangers’ 4-0 win over Ross County on Wednesday.

Kevin Silva did not dress in Hearts’ 1-0 loss to St. Johnstone on Wednesday.

Championship

Ian Harkes started and played 90 minutes in Dundee United’s 1-0 win over Partick Thistle on Tuesday.

James Murphy started and played 90 minutes in Arbroath’s 2-0 loss to Dunfermline Athletic on Tuesday.

Belgium

Pro League

Brenden Hines-Ike started and played 90 minutes in Kortrijk’s 2-1 loss to Eupen on Tuesday.

Ethan Horvath dressed but did not play in Club Brugge’s 2-0 win over Zulte Waregem on Wednesday.

Chris Durkin did not dress in Sint-Truiden’s 2-1 win over Mechelen on Wednesday.

Kenny Saief and Anderlecht face Gent on Thursday.

Austria

Austrian Cup

Jesse Marsch and Red Bull Salzburg defeated ASK Ebreichsdorf 5-0 on Wedneday.

Italy

Serie B

Andrija Novakovich started and played 90 minutes in Frosinone’s 3-0 win over Trapani on Wednesday.

Denmark

DBU Pokalen

Jonathan Amon and Nordsjaelland face FC Kobenhaven on Thursday.

Argentina

Superliga

Joel Sonora and Arsenal Sarandi face Central Cordoba de Santiago on Thursday.

Alan Sonora did not dress in Independiente’s 2-2 draw with Union on Wednesday.

Mexico

Liga MX

William Yarbrough and Club Leon face Cruz Azul on Thursday.

Fernando Arce and Club Tijuana face Guadalajara on Wednesday.

Jonathan Suarez did not dress in Queretaro’s 1-0 loss to Santos Laguna on Tuesday.

Ascenso MX

Rubio Rubin started and played 90 minutes in Dorados’ 0-0 draw with Atlante on Tuesday.

Berhalter is holding a precamp before the next set of games for MLS players who are now out of season.  Here is the group (note this is just the camp roster, this is not the roster for the November games).

Only one new name on the list, Chase Gasper.

USA DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 62/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 8/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (7): Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 9/0), Chase Gasper (Minnesota United FC; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 14/2), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 12/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 11/2)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Brenden Aaronson (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 12/2), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; 5/1), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 20/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 4/0)

FORWARDS (5): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 30/5), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 4/0), Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers; 1/0), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; 5/0), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 54/10)

Berhalter is holding a precamp before the next set of games for MLS players who are now out of season.  Here is the group (note this is just the camp roster, this is not the roster for the November games).

Only one new name on the list, Chase Gasper.

USA DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 62/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 8/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (7): Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 9/0), Chase Gasper (Minnesota United FC; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 14/2), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 12/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 11/2)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Brenden Aaronson (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 12/2), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; 5/1), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 20/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 4/0)

FORWARDS (5): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 30/5), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 4/0), Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers; 1/0), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; 5/0), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 54/10)
Our midfield and forward depth is atrocious.

Our midfield and forward depth is atrocious.
I don't see any hopes for the forward depth improving much outside of Weah getting healthy but I do have some hope for the midfielders. 

I think Holmes, Pomykal and Richie are going to improve the depth of that midfield group significantly, hopefully with in the next 6 months.

For those wondering about Chase Gasper, he has represented the US at U18 and U21 levels.  He is kind of a throw back (in a bad way) in that he had a full college career, so he started his rookie professional season at Minnesota this year at 23.

He was not expected to play much and even wore the number 77 so low down the roster he was.   He played extremely little in the first half of the season, but eventually won the starting LB spot for a playoff bound Loons.

For those wondering about Chase Gasper, he has represented the US at U18 and U21 levels.  He is kind of a throw back (in a bad way) in that he had a full college career, so he started his rookie professional season at Minnesota this year at 23.

He was not expected to play much and even wore the number 77 so low down the roster he was.   He played extremely little in the first half of the season, but eventually won the starting LB spot for a playoff bound Loons.
Say no more. 

Say no more. 
It works both ways.

1) I am instantly interested because of the position

2) I have to acknowledge that he was chosen because he passes the bare minimum requirements of not falling down while running.

Users who are viewing this thread