Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Premier

US Men's National Team

6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Pulisic now 100% out of roster.  Quote below from GGG

=======================

"Christian is officially at this stage ruled out. We just got that information. This was a collaborative decision with the club. looking after the best interest of the player.  These decisions are always difficult because this group and the coaching staff want nothing more than to have Christian here, but it was a risk we weren’t willing to take at this time."

Man, I'm so happy he's on great form for his club.  So so so so so happy for Chelsea.

Basically we're gonna have to get lucky....to win 1-0..... against Canada.

But hey, at least the berhalter brothers got paid

52 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

Basically we're gonna have to get lucky....to win 1-0..... against Canada.

But hey, at least the berhalter brothers got paid

After last game and benching CP, I'm ready to move on.

But even if we magically had Pep as the USMNT coach.. he'd still have to pull from the same group of players. Without CP and Jozy, (and weah) who is pep going to play that's any different? I'd say the team could use a high energy Holmes in the MF...otherwise, :shrug:

Canada will still have those quality guys up front, journeymen decent types in the MF (who played lights out and without mistakes last game), and a pretty pedestrian back line.

US needs to do much, much better winning the battle in the MF, pushing the game higher into Canada's half and putting that defensive unit under pressure. And hopefully somebody for the US can figure out how to score against a decent team.

2 hours ago, SwampDawg said:

Predicting a 1-1 tie. Defense will look good but offense will be totally frustrated. 

I feel like any positive result will come on the backs of a complete team effort (emphasis on effort).

But I do wonder the state of the players mind.  No one outside of Weston appears to be willing to run through a wall for GGG and the players I am sure are acutely aware of how much they have lost the fan base.  They will be lucky if they get 10k attendance to a "must win" game on Friday.

17 hours ago, El Floppo said:

But even if we magically had Pep as the USMNT coach.. he'd still have to pull from the same group of players. Without CP and Jozy, (and weah) who is pep going to play that's any different? I'd say the team could use a high energy Holmes in the MF...otherwise, :shrug:.

I agree with the general point, the healthy talent is pretty low.

But I also don't want to undersell how much we would improve if we ever got healthy.   You also forgot arguably the second best player in the country on your missing list in Adams.  Those 5 field players, along with Steffen, would make a pretty significant upgrade in the roster imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I feel like any positive result will come on the backs of a complete team effort (emphasis on effort).

But I do wonder the state of the players mind.  No one outside of Weston appears to be willing to run through a wall for GGG and the players I am sure are acutely aware of how much they have lost the fan base.  They will be lucky if they get 10k attendance to a "must win" game on Friday.

17 hours ago, El Floppo said:

But even if we magically had Pep as the USMNT coach.. he'd still have to pull from the same group of players. Without CP and Jozy, (and weah) who is pep going to play that's any different? I'd say the team could use a high energy Holmes in the MF...otherwise, :shrug:

Canada will still have those quality guys up front, journeymen decent types in the MF (who played lights out and without mistakes last game), and a pretty pedestrian back line.

US needs to do much, much better winning the battle in the MF, pushing the game higher into Canada's half and putting that defensive unit under pressure. And hopefully somebody for the US can figure out how to score against a decent team.

You're right... The desire game was clearly won by Canada last go around. The us needs to will itself to positional wins in the MF (where the game was lost last time) and put pressure on what is a weak back line. Without CP and Jozy, the quality isn't quite there so it's imperative the will is.

• Like 1

Just now, El Floppo said:

You're right... The desire game was clearly won by Canada last go around. The us needs to will itself to positional wins in the MF (where the game was lost last time) and put pressure on what is a weak back line. Without CP and Jozy, the quality isn't quite there so it's imperative the will is.

I was focusing on guys that had been available, but yeah- Adams and Miazga (is he hurt?) and Steffen make this a much better squad.

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I was focusing on guys that had been available, but yeah- Adams and Miazga (is he hurt?) and Steffen make this a much better squad.

From what I have read, Miazga is not hurt and GGG simply did not call him.  I rate him well above Zimmerman and at least equal with Long so this healthy omission surprised me.

In terms of the healthy omissions, I would say Antonee, Miazga and Holmes are the three names I think should have been on this roster (in place of Lovitz, Roldan and Zimmerman).

• Sad 1

I wished they could have picked a day when a better crowd was expected but that may be so far in the future they had no choice. 

On Friday, US Soccer will honor DMB.

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

From what I have read, Miazga is not hurt and GGG simply did not call him. 

Berhalter is now dead to me. His continuous calling up Lovitz is bad enough, but not even calling Miazga tears it. Miazga is one of my favorites because of his 'nasty' side. He's that player that you hate on the other team but love on yours, and while I don't like the concept of an enforcer in any sport, every great soccer team seems to have one. He may not be John Brooks or CCV, but he, like Swag, seems more than willing to roll up his sleeves and do the dirty work when it needs to be done.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

From what I have read, Miazga is not hurt and GGG simply did not call him.  I rate him well above Zimmerman and at least equal with Long so this healthy omission surprised me.

In terms of the healthy omissions, I would say Antonee, Miazga and Holmes are the three names I think should have been on this roster (in place of Lovitz, Roldan and Zimmerman).

Agree completely with all 3.

What does Lovitz have on Gggg? I mean, the guy is a decent player and worth bringing into camps for depth at the position if needed. but Mr automatic? No. 

And like I've said- the US was overrun in the MF last time, but were going to trot the same guys out there without adding Holmes as an option? 

I really think that we could have had a buzz around this team if some of the non "core" guys had been rotated out.  I think there would have been huge buzz if a pretty large contingent of the u23s were called up to the 1st team.  I think it's such a wasted opportunity to call in the core guys who blow chunks just b/c they are your guys.  If the roster had some of the younger players I really think the fan-base would be much more excited and on-board with "development" toward WCQ.  

As it stands now, I'm probably not even going to watch the game live and am going to the Peru/Colombia game instead and that never would have happened in the past.  Apathy sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, blend said:

I really think that we could have had a buzz around this team if some of the non "core" guys had been rotated out.  I think there would have been huge buzz if a pretty large contingent of the u23s were called up to the 1st team.  I think it's such a wasted opportunity to call in the core guys who blow chunks just b/c they are your guys.  If the roster had some of the younger players I really think the fan-base would be much more excited and on-board with "development" toward WCQ.  

As it stands now, I'm probably not even going to watch the game live and am going to the Peru/Colombia game instead and that never would have happened in the past.  Apathy sucks.

Well a failure here could just initiate his demise (of this job...), so there's that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blend said:

This is a really good point.

I will watch no matter what because I am a Die-impossible type of fan but I can sense apathy and/or disgust across a large amount of the fan base.

I think people would have been pumped to see more young players.  And by doing that, one could have snuck in a couple of cap tying events as well.

And this would have served as a much better practice ground for the U23's in prep for their qualifying.

But this takes thinking outside of the box, something that has never happened in all my decades of watching US Soccer.

We need to remember that this is an organization that created a 23 person "diversity" committee and did not appoint a single latinx to it.  We border sometimes on pure incompetence I fear :( and hoping for thinking outside of the box may be too much to hope for.

Edited by NewlyRetired

4 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Well a failure here could just initiate his demise (of this job...), so there's that.

This is true, but he is in this position already due to his previous players choices of which were none to forward thinking.

18 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Agree completely with all 3.

What does Lovitz have on Gggg? I mean, the guy is a decent player and worth bringing into camps for depth at the position if needed. but Mr automatic? No.

Lovitz ticks all the boxes for head scratching for me and like Roldan's continual inclusion, it makes me question how GGG is evaluating players.

Lets break down Lovitz a bit.

* he is an ok MLS player.  IMO you should be at least well above average if not a top MLS player to be on the national team

* he is average defensively, and below average offensively.  A national team player at FB has to have a subset of skills for both sides of the ball

* he is far from in game shape, not having played a league minute since October 6th.  This is not the type of player you typically want playing in a must win game.

Now compare these bullets to Robinson.

* he is a top rated fullback in the Championship

* he can defend and get forward

* he is in season and fully fit

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Oh my.  I lost track of him but he clearly has done well for himself in England.   He was born in NY and grew up here before taking his chances at Liverpool.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1194298928491061248?s=20

@Dinsy Ejotuz @gianmarco  any of you Liverpool fans have any inside info on this kid?

Yeah, I have just no desire to watch on Friday. I'll check twitter to make sure Dest is starting/cap tied (hopefully Greg can't screw that one up) but after that, I have no interest.

I guess the most interesting part of this group is that we COULD be seeing the first team backline (minus the goalie) for the next few years. But that doesn't give me goosebumps.

I just hope that....at SOME point in the next year, we get to start seeing some combo of CP, Adams, Weston, Weah, Sargent, Pomykal, Holmes, Llanez, etc so that we can at least see what we have from them as an attacking unit. 

• Like 2

[Jeff Carlisle] On a conference call with reporters, USSF sporting director Earnie Stewart says #usmnt manager Gregg Berhalter's job is safe, no matter what the results are against Canada and Cuba in the Concacaf Nations League

:oldunsure:

• Laughing 1
  • Sad 2

Great, more head scratching for me.  From Stewart's conference call where he said Berhalter's job was safe.

“We’re looking at the future. So when I evaluate Gregg & the staff, what I've seen today, I'm a pleased man. An individual result is not going to change that."

============

So lets break this down

* Stewart is looking at the future but not understanding that GGG's player picks are not looking at the future.  They are not in sync.

* Stewart saying an individual result is not going to change his mind but he should have plenty of negative results to evaluate by now.

Stewart's statement would make a ton more sense to me, if they were employing @blend idea of using the kids.  Then you by definition need to give extra rope.

Edited by NewlyRetired

I don't really follow what goes on with other national teams but is the US snake bit in these injuries or is it the norm for most teams ? I realize we don't have the depth the big players do but does Spain, England, France, etc routinely play games with meaning without 3 or 4 of their desired top starters due to injury ?

I was willing to give GGG the benefit of the doubt for some time but the lack of trying to integrate the young guys and still not getting results is just too much. If you were winning games and cups and using these older players and just a few younger guys here and there you could say you were trying to build a winning culture but instead you are getting embarrassed and you keep trotting out players getting older by the minute.

As @Charlie Steiner said above, not calling in a healthy Miazga might be the last straw for me. I to like the fact he has some grit and is willing to be our draw the line in the stand defender. They can't wait around for another WCQ disaster, if we lose or tie Canada on Friday GGG's office should be cleaned out by Monday.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Great, more head scratching for me.  From Stewart's conference call where he said Berhalter's job was safe.

“We’re looking at the future. So when I evaluate Gregg & the staff, what I've seen today, I'm a pleased man. An individual result is not going to change that."

============

So lets break this down

* Stewart is looking at the future but not understanding that GGG's player picks are not looking at the future.  They are not in sink. 

* Stewart saying an individual result is not going to change his mind but he should have plenty of negative results to evaluate by now.

Stewart's statement would make a ton more sense to me, if they were employing @blend idea of using the kids.  Then you by definition need to give extra rope.

I think using the word "pleased" is so troubling.  

I just don't see it.  I don't know what is pleasing about what has happened thus far.  I'm most upset about player selections, but there are definite reasons to be upset about on-field tactics and desire too.  Just maddening and to say you're pleased.  c'mon. that's ridiculous. 

I'm more excited to watch the u23s than the Sr. Team.  

Edited by blend
  • Like 2

Pleased.

Men's team loses to neighbor for first time in 34 years...after not qualifying for the WC for first time in 38 years. Youth teams struggling to even qualify for WCs, and just crashed poorly out of the u17s while Mex has reached the semis. 

Pleased.

• Laughing 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, SwampDawg said:

I don't really follow what goes on with other national teams but is the US snake bit in these injuries or is it the norm for most teams ? I realize we don't have the depth the big players do but does Spain, England, France, etc routinely play games with meaning without 3 or 4 of their desired top starters due to injury ?

I was willing to give GGG the benefit of the doubt for some time but the lack of trying to integrate the young guys and still not getting results is just too much. If you were winning games and cups and using these older players and just a few younger guys here and there you could say you were trying to build a winning culture but instead you are getting embarrassed and you keep trotting out players getting older by the minute.

As @Charlie Steiner said above, not calling in a healthy Miazga might be the last straw for me. I to like the fact he has some grit and is willing to be our draw the line in the stand defender. They can't wait around for another WCQ disaster, if we lose or tie Canada on Friday GGG's office should be cleaned out by Monday.

When Berhalter took over, the program was basically back at ground zero, albeit with some good young pieces to build around.  To me, when you have a young team and a lot of unknowns and no success to build on, you have nothing to lose by getting anyone and everyone at least a look. I think there are a many players not on the current roster but showed more promise in earlier callups than the players (and I use that term loosely with regards to Lovitz) who keep getting called and whose ceiling we have seen. Unfortunately, that window is pretty much closed now that they're playing games that matter.

To me, the best way to build up depth would have been to get a look at as many players as possible, but the closest we got to that was when Sarachan was caretaking.  I don't want him back, but at least young players were getting chances.

• Like 2

Ok...devil's advocate etc... But gggggggh has always talked about the process, and he needs some continuity in personel to make that happen.

Not saying I agree with either the point or the players chosen, but I can understand the case being made.

3 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

I am hoping we get drilled by Canada again. 

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Ok...devil's advocate etc... But gggggggh has always talked about the process, and he needs some continuity in personel to make that happen.

Not saying I agree with either the point or the players chosen, but I can understand the case being made.

Um Yeah.....

55 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Key word being "some" continuity.  And the continuity should probably be of whomever your key personnel are.   I can't imagine anyone considers Zardes, Roldan, Lovitz, and Trapp as key personnel.  I think after a year of bringing in roughly the same rosters (not looking it up, but I don't think there's been a lot of turnover except for injuries)  and showing them the "process" they should be able to remove the Fearsome Foursome from the USMNT and not miss a beat.  Let the others demonstrate it.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

@Dinsy Ejotuz @gianmarco  any of you Liverpool fans have any inside info on this kid?

I know the good players in the U-19 side but don't usually pay attention to the really young ones until they're getting spots on the bench.

• Like 1

Wow.  I did not think he played great in the U17 WC but he obviously impressed some one.

Great to see these details emerge.  Lets hope this is a blue print for future deals for all involved

=================

New York City FC today announced that the Club has reached an agreement with German side Borussia Monchengladbach to transfer defender Joe Scally. The Long Island native will remain with NYCFC through the 2020 MLS Season and will move to the Bundesliga side in January 2021.

He becomes the first player to graduate NYCFC’s Academy and be sold to a major European club. The transfer is an unprecedented move for a player who has yet to make his Major League Soccer debut. 

The initial transfer fee is the highest paid for a 16-year-old MLS player in league history. With potential bonuses, the seven-figure transfer fee could rise significantly to become one of the highest transfer fees received for a MLS player being transferred to a European club.

NYCFC will also receive a sell-on percentage if Scally is sold in the future.

NYCFC Sporting Director Claudio Reyna said: “It’s very exciting for Joe to move to the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach and play in one of the best leagues in the world.

“He’ll remain with us for the 2020 season, but during that time he’ll be able to go over to Germany and begin adapting to those surroundings, so when he goes in January 2021, he is able to hit the ground running.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

This deal looks so good for every one involved.   We as fans need a win like this in the academy system so that other teams can try and repeat the process.  We can't have real expectations for the owners to keep pumping money into the system with out showing something for it.

• Like 1

The Fire have sacked coach Paunovic.

I have no idea if he is interested but US Soccer is in great need of coaches and Paunovic has already won a U20 WC with Serbia.  I wonder if with Tab gone, they could just plug and play here...

@TaylorTwellman

Michael Bradley withdrew from #USMNT camp due to an ankle injury sustained in #MLSCup. Roman Torres kicked him in 32’ which lead to an injection at halftime. Most likely a 4 to 6 week injury as he will get a MRI today

=======

If Bradley was going to be on the roster, do you guys think Trapp or Yueill would have been dropped (or someone else)?

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

@TaylorTwellman

Michael Bradley withdrew from #USMNT camp due to an ankle injury sustained in #MLSCup. Roman Torres kicked him in 32’ which lead to an injection at halftime. Most likely a 4 to 6 week injury as he will get a MRI today

=======

If Bradley was going to be on the roster, do you guys think Trapp or Yueill would have been dropped (or someone else)?

We know it wouldn't be Trapp - pretty sure ggg is contractually obligated to include him in all windows.  Yueill would have been more likely because we don't know for sure what we have in him, so we'll pass on this opportunity to get another look.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Article on stewart, Gggg and the us

That was really good.  The author did a nice job illuminating the differences between coaching a club team, where GGG's strengths are valued, vs coaching a national team, where those strengths are not as effective.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

Starting lineup?

....................... Gooseman

Yeti/Cannon......long.....Brooks......lovitz because #### dest right in his dutch oven

Morales.....swag......lletget

Morris...........,..................nips

.....................sarge

Not sure how that MF works tbh...maybe more of a 4-5-1 with moriss and nips busting their asses to get up and down. or hopefully the US puts sustained pressure further up the field this time and gets those fbs up further.

• Like 1