What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (5 Viewers)

NewlyRetired said:
Wow.  I did not think he played great in the U17 WC but he obviously impressed some one.

Great to see these details emerge.  Lets hope this is a blue print for future deals for all involved

=================

New York City FC today announced that the Club has reached an agreement with German side Borussia Monchengladbach to transfer defender Joe Scally. The Long Island native will remain with NYCFC through the 2020 MLS Season and will move to the Bundesliga side in January 2021.

He becomes the first player to graduate NYCFC’s Academy and be sold to a major European club. The transfer is an unprecedented move for a player who has yet to make his Major League Soccer debut. 

The initial transfer fee is the highest paid for a 16-year-old MLS player in league history. With potential bonuses, the seven-figure transfer fee could rise significantly to become one of the highest transfer fees received for a MLS player being transferred to a European club.

NYCFC will also receive a sell-on percentage if Scally is sold in the future.

NYCFC Sporting Director Claudio Reyna said: “It’s very exciting for Joe to move to the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach and play in one of the best leagues in the world.

“He’ll remain with us for the 2020 season, but during that time he’ll be able to go over to Germany and begin adapting to those surroundings, so when he goes in January 2021, he is able to hit the ground running.
Fwiw, a piece on it from nycfc

ETA...mostly a fluff piece, but has scally and Claudio talking. Gets into each of their mind sets about getting to that point. I always like hearing young pros perspectives about what it means and takes to be a pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
How I would line up against Canada. 

Johnson

Long.      Brooks.    Ream

Yedlin.           Yueill.             Dest

Lletget.                  McKennie

Sargent.     Morris
I like this.  It would be a big departure from how GGG normally lines up but I think it would fit the talent much better than the 4-1-2-3 he has been employing.

The rationale.  Two quality passing CBs in a back three gives more flexibility in distribution. Wing backs high pin Davies back and let the CMs play 3 on 3 in the middle of the pitch. A speedy forward partner takes greatest advantage of Sargent’s most developed strength, which is hold up play. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
How I would line up against Canada. 

Johnson

Long.      Brooks.    Ream

Yedlin.           Yueill.             Dest

Lletget.                  McKennie

Sargent.     Morris
Love this. And yeah Yueill or moralles, either or.

Only concern is ream getting exposed by that pace up front and needing to rely on dest to get back. but the trade off is his ability starting the us attack with his distribution.

I watched the first half of the U23's game against Brazil today (it is on espn3 online for free).  Brazil is up 1-0 and dominated the first half.

The US looks completely outclassed, I guess as expected as Brazil is usually fabulous at this level but anyone watching the first half would have to be nervous about qualifying with this group if they don't add in the good players (Adams, Sargent, Pulisic, Weston, Yueill, Cannon, Dest etc)

I watched the first half of the U23's game against Brazil today (it is on espn3 online for free).  Brazil is up 1-0 and dominated the first half.

The US looks completely outclassed, I guess as expected as Brazil is usually fabulous at this level but anyone watching the first half would have to be nervous about qualifying with this group if they don't add in the good players (Adams, Sargent, Pulisic, Weston, Yueill, Cannon, Dest etc)
And the beat goes on...

Better second half for the US.  Brazil was still the better team but the US at least had some possession and nearly scored off a good passing sequence which ended up hitting the upper 90 post/cross bar on a nice shot.

Game ended 1-0.

I shake my head to bad plays by the US all the time but at least it happens to much better teams too.

Look at this unmitigated disaster by France, at home, against a world minnow.  How many mistakes can one player make? :lmao:

https://streamja.com/7RRr

this article went into great depth what many of us have been saying in this thread.  GGG's system does not fit the team, and he simply does not have any where near enough time to try and train the players like he would have at club level.
It's a good continuation of that other article I linked. I like how it breaks down what the system has meant for opponents, not just hermetically within the US team.

It's a good continuation of that other article I linked. I like how it breaks down what the system has meant for opponents, not just hermetically within the US team.
I thought the point of how slow building out of the back plays against Pulisic biggest strength was interesting.  He has not been great under GGG and it makes some sense now.

I wonder if Antonee does not show well in practice?  The U23's played 17 players today and Robinson never saw the field.

The way things are going (in terms of more and more youth seeds being planted throughout Europe) we're eventually going to get to the point where we can play a complex, possession oriented style (or at least something closer to it) if we want.  But we're not there yet. Maybe 10 years from now, we'll have 8-10 guys on the level of the big 3. (Maybe 4 if Dest keeps developing). Then something resembling what Berhalter is trying to do MAYBE becomes a good option.

Until then, lets just be tough to play against again.   Not saying we've got to park the bus, but he's basically turned us into the team at the start of Hoosiers, forcing 4 passes before they're allowed to shoot.

I watched the US U17's play against Turkey today in the Nike International games in Florida.  This is the next batch of kids.  There were no names on the shirts and I did not listen with sound so I have no idea who was who. The only player I recognized by sight was Pynadath.

The US played well, kept possession most of the game and won 1-0.  Turkey created a couple of very good chances in injury time but could not convert.

I watched the US U17's play against Turkey today in the Nike International games in Florida.  This is the next batch of kids.  There were no names on the shirts and I did not listen with sound so I have no idea who was who. The only player I recognized by sight was Pynadath.

The US played well, kept possession most of the game and won 1-0.  Turkey created a couple of very good chances in injury time but could not convert.
Huh. Different u17s than the ones who got their asses handed to them in Brazil just now?

Just another indication of how massive this game is for Canada (Panama is in a world of hurt if they don't upset Mexico tonight).

==============

Duane Rollins

@24thminute

Live @Concacaf rankings following last night's play:

5th Honduras 1368

6th Canada 1339

7th El Salvador 1336

8th Curacao 1313

9th Panama 1310

Just another indication of how massive this game is for Canada (Panama is in a world of hurt if they don't upset Mexico tonight).

==============

Duane Rollins

@24thminute

Live @Concacaf rankings following last night's play:

5th Honduras 1368

6th Canada 1339

7th El Salvador 1336

8th Curacao 1313

9th Panama 1310
How has Panama fallen so far? They're just a year removed from playing in the WC

Still excited to see them play as always, but dammit... Don't think I can take another uninspired, crap performance from them.

• Smile
How has Panama fallen so far? They're just a year removed from playing in the WC
Here is what I found, in order starting with the WC

3 losses in WC

Loss to US

Draw with Brazil

Loss to Colombia

Loss to Uruguay

Win over T&T

Win over Guyana

Loss to US

Loss to Jamaica

Win over Bermuda

Loss to Bermuda (this was a killer)

Loss to Mexico

NewlyRetired said:
Yes, I think this is the next batch but I am not entirely sure.  It must be a mixed group because I don't think Pynadath will be young enough for the next U17 WC.
Not sure if it works this way at the top level, but I know that the Red Bulls academy has a U15 team and a U17 team.  I assume that means that U16s other than the best of the age group don't get as much playing time, and they may seek out other opportunities for them to get game experience.

Can we fire GGG now?

Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Canada: 1-Brad Guzan, 3-Aaron Long, 5-John Brooks, 7-Paul Arriola, 8-Weston McKennie, 9-Gyasi Zardes, 11-Jordan Morris, 13-Tim Ream (capt.), 14-Jackson Yueill, 17-Sebastian Lletget, 18-Sergiño Dest

🤢

I'm forced to watch on my phone, so caveats etc...but the US still look like #### to me. Canada able to dictate things and push the ball with ease through the MF up to the US box. 

Some things that are working a little better... Brooks stronger in the middle. Better work rate by all parties and slightly better getting bodies higher up the field. From my perspective the goals were against the run of play and while nicely taken- kinda flukey.

I'm forced to watch on my phone, so caveats etc...but the US still look like #### to me. Canada able to dictate things and push the ball with ease through the MF up to the US box. 

Some things that are working a little better... Brooks stronger in the middle. Better work rate by all parties and slightly better getting bodies higher up the field. From my perspective the goals were against the run of play and while nicely taken- kinda flukey.
Man, I don’t know. To me the USA looks like the better team tonight. Not saying they are great by any means, but way better than last time.

Some shaky moments the first 20 minutes, but a lot to like the back side of that first half.

• Smile

Agreed. We’ve been giving away the ball like candy on Halloween 🎃 

Users who are viewing this thread