What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

Man, I don’t know. To me the USA looks like the better team tonight. Not saying they are great by any means, but way better than last time.

Some shaky moments the first 20 minutes, but a lot to like the back side of that first half.
Brooks made a big difference. But again, the us looked overmatched through the MF where it was all too easy for Canada to repeatedly drive deep too easily. And again, I didn't see the us win any second balls in front of their back line- swag, Yueill nobody. Whatever shape there is through the MF is a mess. Against Canada. Or maybe Canada is just better than us in the MF man for man and it's not the tactics. But two in a row where they bossed things.

The us pushed a little higher up the field which helped at least get numbers in better places going forward. And they created some chances- and finished them...can't argue with that. Helps that the Canada back line isn't very good, but you can't score what you don't create.

Dest looked the part- kudos to the kid. Morris worked hard. Swag seemed undone by the tactics and shape, but had his moments. Guzan had a good game (great save to give up the goal scoring corner). Zardoz zardozed...always works hard and well defensively, and gets himself in places to score gosls, which he took well.

Get used to Zardes getting a lot minutes.  His work rate tonight was tremendous.  Probably spent as much time in the US back third as the attacking third. 

ETA: if that pass by zardes in the box to the attacker who missed wide was intended by him, it may have been one of the best passes I’ve ever seen

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished

* While certainly significantly better than the last Canada game, Twellman was right this is how the scoreline should always look against the non top Concacaf teams when at home.  Even in the missed WC hex, we still had large wins at home in the hex.  We need a result like this against a Mexico or CR.

* I thought the Lletget upgrade over Roland was enormous.  Lletget is so much better offensively

* The Man of the Match for the US may have been the Canadian coach.  Bayern can start a talent like Davies at LB because they are ####### Bayern Munich.    Putting Canada's by far and away best offensive player at LB was just nuts to me.

* I continue to watch Weston in an advanced role and I just don't see it.  I hope I am wrong.  He is not a bad passer in terms of hitting a through ball but he can not make quick enough decisions to drive the ball forward with the dribble.  It seemed like 75% of his passes went backwards tonight.  Compare that to Lletget who tried to turn his defender numerous times.

* Morris had a nice first half but I hate when the announcers are more aware than the manager as they both mentioned that Morris was likely to tire in second half well before GGG subbed Morris out

* I thought Dest looked solid offensively.   His feet are really good for his age and spot on the field.

* If GGG continues to refuse to play 2 holding midfielders, I think we had better hope that Adams is the second coming (he is great but not that great) else the comments Floppo made about the midfield is going to continue.    Yeuill is a nice little player, but hard tackler is not one of his strengths.

Anyone else as clueless as I was that the play Davies made to play the ball back to his keeper with his head was illegal?

It seemed like most of his teammates did not know the rule either.

My thoughts......

We are MILES better when Brooks is playing one of the CB spots.  If he can stay healthy, he's absolutely a game changer in the CONCACAF world.

Dest looked great.  I wish we had a quality LB so we could keep him at his natural RB position.  He's gonna be one of the 3-4 must starts for our team going forward.

Zardes played great.  Color me shocked, but he was quality tonight.

If we can play similar to this with Adams and Pulisic added in, we might actually have something.  I hate to actually hope, but maybe this will work come qualifying.  It's only scary because we obviously need EVERYBODY healthy.

Negatives...

We had 36% possession..... against a minnow.(yes, Canada is still a minnow even if we didn't show them to be).  This has to change.

Weston.  Awful.  I'm sorry, but if he plays like he did tonight he has no place in this team IMO.  Thought it was one of his worst USMNT performances.

Weston.  Awful.  I'm sorry, but if he plays like he did tonight he has no place in this team IMO.  Thought it was one of his worst USMNT performances.
He has one bad game and you’re ready to shovel dirt on him. :lol:  

I get the frustration with this team, but we need some Aaron Rodgers therapy. 

I agree with @NewlyRetired on Davies. The moment I saw that lineup I thought they were trying to get too cute. Go chug some syrup, losers. 

Happy for Lletget. He got a raw deal with that foot injury a couple of years ago. He’s looking like that pre-injury guy w were all surprised by. 

Dest :wub:   So happy belated chose the US. Refreshing to see someone that skilled and confident. 

Watching Nips trying to defend Davies was like watching a U12 kid trying to stand up their coach. Fn hilarious :lmao:  

Negatives...

We had 36% possession..... against a minnow.(yes, Canada is still a minnow even if we didn't show them to be).  This has to change.

I still think both of those things are a result of the formation. Against better teams (and I'm including any team that might be in the hex), this set up cedes possession and space through the MF and seems to isolate the players in the middle on both sides of the ball. Its been astonishing to me to see how routinely other teams win the second ball in front of both back fours...a sign that tactically something is amiss. If it's not switched wide quickly, where ggg seems to want to set up the attack, things aren't moving. I hope that the addition of Adams fixes some of that. And while the better player will obviously help, I'm beginning to have doubts that his inclusion alone will fix those problems. Something is happening shape-wise through the middle of the field that to my eyes is catastrophic.

Re zardoz...he brought his best game last night. The work rate, getting into the box, finishing, drew some fouls showing for the ball higher up the field (MF stripe and higher)...and still zardozed a ton of touches into Oblivion.

Just finished

* While certainly significantly better than the last Canada game, Twellman was right this is how the scoreline should always look against the non top Concacaf teams when at home.  Even in the missed WC hex, we still had large wins at home in the hex.  We need a result like this against a Mexico or CR.

* I thought the Lletget upgrade over Roland was enormous.  Lletget is so much better offensively

* The Man of the Match for the US may have been the Canadian coach.  Bayern can start a talent like Davies at LB because they are ####### Bayern Munich.    Putting Canada's by far and away best offensive player at LB was just nuts to me.

* I continue to watch Weston in an advanced role and I just don't see it.  I hope I am wrong.  He is not a bad passer in terms of hitting a through ball but he can not make quick enough decisions to drive the ball forward with the dribble.  It seemed like 75% of his passes went backwards tonight.  Compare that to Lletget who tried to turn his defender numerous times.

* Morris had a nice first half but I hate when the announcers are more aware than the manager as they both mentioned that Morris was likely to tire in second half well before GGG subbed Morris out

* I thought Dest looked solid offensively.   His feet are really good for his age and spot on the field.

* If GGG continues to refuse to play 2 holding midfielders, I think we had better hope that Adams is the second coming (he is great but not that great) else the comments Floppo made about the midfield is going to continue.    Yeuill is a nice little player, but hard tackler is not one of his strengths.
I missed the first 15 and never even realized Davies was playing RB. Was wondering why he was tracking back so much! Yeah...why change what worked so well last time with him higher up the field? What a mistake.

And I also neglected to give lletget a shout in my comments; you're right, he was the closest thing we got to CPs spark going forward. Nice to see and really good game from him, even if he missed an absolute sitter. On the other side, I think nips played? 

He has one bad game and you’re ready to shovel dirt on him. :lol:  

I get the frustration with this team, but we need some Aaron Rodgers therapy. 
To be fair, it's not his first bad game. I feel like it's been bad more than good under ggg for him, unless it's against a minnow. Fortunately we've got a minnow next game.

I had to watch on my phone because of cable problems and couldn't see the graphoc...did the US pass Canada's GD? So it's win vs Cuba and in?

To be fair, it's not his first bad game. I feel like it's been bad more than good under ggg for him, unless it's against a minnow. Fortunately we've got a minnow next game.

I had to watch on my phone because of cable problems and couldn't see the graphoc...did the US pass Canada's GD? So it's win vs Cuba and in?
Yeah CAN +6, US +8 so a win gives the good guys the group.

We're not quite to the team picking itself yet, but for me Steffan, Brooks, Long, Dest, Adams, McKennie, Pulisic should be auto-starts when available.  They're still young -- so some of the 100-cap vet teams we've had were probably better -- but that's as much raw talent as we've ever had.  If a coach can't win with that group they need to get a new coach. 

I'd really like to see Adams and McKennie as a double six.

Sargent, Weah, Reyna and maybe Uly complement the above really well in that there's not much competition at the positions they play.  At they very least they'll be in contention for spots.

:hot:  

Good guys don’t have a tree as a mascot. 
I really enjoyed the way Canada played these two games... A lot more than how the us did. They're terrible on the back though, so that would be frustrating as hell.

I made a point last game that Canada played nearly flawlessly; there were next to no mis-traps/passes/decisions, which I found impressive and surprising. Also felt like that technical consistency helped them dominate. They weren't as flawless this game, and it helped the US who's best moments going forward seemed to come off of Canadian mistakes rather than gggg's grand plan of building out of the back.its almost as if the us is a team that does better on the counter. Shocker.

We're not quite to the team picking itself yet, but for me Steffan, Brooks, Long, Dest, Adams, McKennie, Pulisic should be auto-starts when available.  They're still young -- so some of the 100-cap vet teams we've had were probably better -- but that's as much raw talent as we've ever had.  If a coach can't win with that group they need to get a new coach. 

I'd really like to see Adams and McKennie as a double six.

Sargent, Weah, Reyna and maybe Uly complement the above really well in that there's not much competition at the positions they play.  At they very least they'll be in contention for spots.
Long vs Miazga is going to be tough.

Agree about swagadams.

And other than that, if Jozys healthy...huge IF.... he joins the auto start list for the next few years. I like sarge, but I don't think this set up taps into his strengths yet

Agree about swagadams.

And other than that, if Jozys healthy...huge IF.... he joins the auto start list for the next few years. I like sarge, but I don't think this set up taps into his strengths yet
Completely forgot about Jozy.  I'm torn on him -- he's the better player offensively, but Zard's work rate does add something IMO.

Agree about swagadams.

Long v Miagza is a good dilemma to have, especially with a healthy Brooks.

Swag is still my favorite current USMNT player, not sure what happened with him last night, but I know what he brings makes him a must start. 

As for the striker conundrum, I see it as a microcosm of what faces the team as a whole.  Zardes worked his tail off yesterday and the soccer gods rewarded him for it.  Even though it was against a minnow and he's not the consensus top player at his position, he was a big part of getting the result they did.  That's the mindset that they all need to have every game, and that's what a HC MUST get from them.

Long v Miagza is a good dilemma to have, especially with a healthy Brooks.

Swag is still my favorite current USMNT player, not sure what happened with him last night, but I know what he brings makes him a must start. 

As for the striker conundrum, I see it as a microcosm of what faces the team as a whole.  Zardes worked his tail off yesterday and the soccer gods rewarded him for it.  Even though it was against a minnow and he's not the consensus top player at his position, he was a big part of getting the result they did.  That's the mindset that they all need to have every game, and that's what a HC MUST get from them.
So another vote to auto start zardoz.

I thought it was because he "played it" with his foot first.
Here is the wiki definition.  Sounds like Davies should have received a yellow too which is what the announcers mentioned

=========

Goalkeepers are allowed to handle the ball if the ball is played back to them by an action other than a kick or throw-in (such as a header), but defenders are not permitted to attempt to use a deliberate trick to pass the ball to the goalkeeper with a part of the body other than the foot to circumvent the rule. This would include flicking the ball up with the foot and then heading the ball back to the goalkeeper, or heading a ball on the ground that would otherwise be regularly playable with the foot.

If a player uses such a trick, they are cautioned for unsporting behaviour, and the opponents are awarded an indirect free kick from where the trick was performed. It is irrelevant as to whether the goalkeeper subsequently handles the ball or not

I still have no idea what we are going to do with LB unless GGG puts Dest there.  There is a lot to like with Ream (unlike Lovitz) but I still can't can't past the idea that the better teams will always know that Ream will rarely pass the midfield stripe and they can use that lack of mobility against the US tactically to pin the team back.  Tata was the first to figure this out but he won't be the last.

Against weaker teams Ream should be ok.  Dest is going to be a game changer on the right with in the next three years as he matures so I really don't want to miss out on that by sacrificing him to the LB gods.

I missed the first 15 and never even realized Davies was playing RB. Was wondering why he was tracking back so much! Yeah...why change what worked so well last time with him higher up the field? What a mistake.
It is not a perfect analogy but it is pretty damn close to GGG deciding to start Pulisic at fullback.  Can you imagine the fan base reaction if that happened? :)

I still have no idea what we are going to do with LB unless GGG puts Dest there.  There is a lot to like with Ream (unlike Lovitz) but I still can't can't past the idea that the better teams will always know that Ream will rarely pass the midfield stripe and they can use that lack of mobility against the US tactically to pin the team back.  Tata was the first to figure this out but he won't be the last.

Against weaker teams Ream should be ok.  Dest is going to be a game changer on the right with in the next three years as he matures so I really don't want to miss out on that by sacrificing him to the LB gods.
I could’ve swore I heard Twellman say last night that Dest said he prefers LB. :unsure:  

So another vote to auto start zardoz.
If you define 'auto start' as how things stand right now in reality, then yes, but I was thinking more along the lines of all things being equal, meaning Jozy being healthy enough to start, though I guess I have to concede that the window for that should be closing, as it wouldn't be fair to Zardes for all the hard work he puts in.  TBH, I had high hopes for him back when he first appeared for the USMNT, but he didn't develop as quickly as we all seemed to have wanted. He reminds me of Nagbe in that respect. 

Bottom line, I guess while Zardoz isn't the striker we want, he's the striker we deserve, and more importantly, if he keeps up his work rate, he has earned it whether we like it or not.  

I still don't understand Berhalter's insistence that the US play with a style that doesn't suit us.  The team has ALWAYS been high-energy and well-organized on defense, and countering on offense. 

Even if they players were good enough to play like Barca (cough), I think you're losing the identity of the team moving away from it.  JK talked a lot about playing a different way, but the players (vets) knew who they were and had been together for so long that they never really bought in.  He was frustrated, but we got good results.

Really hope the next coach gets away from this idea.

Robo, imo.

Although robo + dest may not be an upgrade to dest + yedlin

It is not a perfect analogy but it is pretty damn close to GGG deciding to start Pulisic at fullback.  Can you imagine the fan base reaction if that happened? :)
Or Adams at RB. At least Davies is getting time there for BM...but as you've already said, Canada doesn't exactly translate to BM player-wise 

Here is the wiki definition.  Sounds like Davies should have received a yellow too which is what the announcers mentioned

=========

Goalkeepers are allowed to handle the ball if the ball is played back to them by an action other than a kick or throw-in (such as a header), but defenders are not permitted to attempt to use a deliberate trick to pass the ball to the goalkeeper with a part of the body other than the foot to circumvent the rule. This would include flicking the ball up with the foot and then heading the ball back to the goalkeeper, or heading a ball on the ground that would otherwise be regularly playable with the foot.

If a player uses such a trick, they are cautioned for unsporting behaviour, and the opponents are awarded an indirect free kick from where the trick was performed. It is irrelevant as to whether the goalkeeper subsequently handles the ball or not
I really had no idea, although I have wondered about that (or at least imagined the idea of doing it). And based on the Canada players reactions, neither did they.

If you define 'auto start' as how things stand right now in reality, then yes, but I was thinking more along the lines of all things being equal, meaning Jozy being healthy enough to start, though I guess I have to concede that the window for that should be closing, as it wouldn't be fair to Zardes for all the hard work he puts in.  TBH, I had high hopes for him back when he first appeared for the USMNT, but he didn't develop as quickly as we all seemed to have wanted. He reminds me of Nagbe in that respect. 

Bottom line, I guess while Zardoz isn't the striker we want, he's the striker we deserve, and more importantly, if he keeps up his work rate, he has earned it whether we like it or not.  
It works against weaker teams with weaker D's, where his poor skills don't always come back to bite the team. 

Against better teams, where we need the forward to be able to control the chances they get upfield to help the team have time to push numbers forward and reorganize a higher line, the US can't afford to roll the dice on getting zardozed imo. Sarge offers more consistency of skills for that, and does some of the defensive work as well, but lacks zardozs dynamism.

It works against weaker teams with weaker D's, where his poor skills don't always come back to bite the team. 

Against better teams, where we need the forward to be able to control the chances they get upfield to help the team have time to push numbers forward and reorganize a higher line, the US can't afford to roll the dice on getting zardozed imo. Sarge offers more consistency of skills for that, and does some of the defensive work as well, but lacks zardozs dynamism.
For me, we're always going to be up against it when we face top teams, and we're always going to need guys to play out of their mind, so my concern is more about workrate than talent alone.

As for Sargent, I like his game as well, but he MUST improve his footspeed; otherwise he's just Bradley but more forward.  I'm only half joking when I say that he and Novakovich need to follow Zlatan's lead and get into some kind of martial arts training, or something that unlocks more of their physical talents that enhance their soccer specific skills.  

My biggest concern for Zardes against decent opponents is that if GGG continues to want to build out of the back, Zardes is an enormous liability because he can not accept a hard pass driven to him from a central defender.    We can't have Brooks looking up and wanting to make the correct pass to Zardes and then realizing he can't because it is more than likely going to lead to a turn over in a bad part of the field (which the US do already too much).

As my father continues to age and slip mentally, some of the more basic tasks allude him.

That leads to the following happening recently when I settle in to watch a game.

"and there is the kick off"

[ring]

Wife: "It's your dad"

Me: "Hi Dad, what's up?"

Dad: "Why am I watching darts?"

Me: "The game is on FS1 not FS2"

or almost identically the very next game

Dad: "Why am I watching softball?"

Me: "The game is on ESPN not ESPN2"

So now I intend to head this off by visiting him on game day to set his DVR.   To his credit, when I visited him yesterday he had yellow stickies plastered in every room listing what time and channel the game was on :)   My mom was not pleased.

I enjoy talking to my dad because he has never spent a second on the internet so I know his thoughts are not biased by anything he reads.  This was yesterday's conversation (you need to read my dad in a heavy Italian accent which seems to get heavier every week as he ages, and forgive his malapropism)

Dad: "That last game.......non good"

Me: "Against Canada? yeah it was awful"

Dad: "what is wrong with the bald guy?"

Me:  "Bradley?"

Dad: "no, the one that looks like he is from a consecration camp, the coach"

Me: (Laughing) "You mean Berhalter?"

Dad: "yes, he is very bad"

Me: "yeah the team is certainly not playing well"

Dad: "no not the team, why did he sub out the only player who knows how to play...Pul....Puh.....Pur....."

Interrupting my dad as he can't pronounce Pulisic's last name "You mean Pulisic, I think he said he was sick with a fever or something"

Dad getting more angry "foolish!  Only player who can play!!!!"

Me knowing when it is time to defuse "well lets hope it gets better tonight, but Pulisic is hurt now anyway so won't play tonight"

Dad: "non good!"

My mom then distracted my dad with a tasty dessert so I didn't get more in depth. :)    Will report back next week.

For me, we're always going to be up against it when we face top teams, and we're always going to need guys to play out of their mind, so my concern is more about workrate than talent alone.

As for Sargent, I like his game as well, but he MUST improve his footspeed; otherwise he's just Bradley but more forward.  I'm only half joking when I say that he and Novakovich need to follow Zlatan's lead and get into some kind of martial arts training, or something that unlocks more of their physical talents that enhance their soccer specific skills.  

My biggest concern for Zardes against decent opponents is that if GGG continues to want to build out of the back, Zardes is an enormous liability because he can not accept a hard pass driven to him from a central defender.    We can't have Brooks looking up and wanting to make the correct pass to Zardes and then realizing he can't because it is more than likely going to lead to a turn over in a bad part of the field (which the US do already too much).
What Andy said.

The guy up front against Mex and better teams has to work hard covering the spaces defensively to minimize the initial dangerous pass...something both zardoz and Sarge can do (edge to zardoz) but it's vital that the touches they get going forward can be relied on, otherwise the US will be right back on their heels. 

Even last night...in the second half there were a series of us goal kicks where the broadcast would show a highlight as guzan was lining it up. By the time the highlight was done, the us had already lost the ball up top and were retreating. With the game still in the balance- it just has to be better. With the us chasing or holding on, it has to be better.

I still don't understand Berhalter's insistence that the US play with a style that doesn't suit us.  The team has ALWAYS been high-energy and well-organized on defense, and countering on offense. 

Even if they players were good enough to play like Barca (cough), I think you're losing the identity of the team moving away from it.  JK talked a lot about playing a different way, but the players (vets) knew who they were and had been together for so long that they never really bought in.  He was frustrated, but we got good results.

Really hope the next coach gets away from this idea.
there is an age old coaching style choice:

Do you fit the team to your style or do you fit the style to your team?

I can see pros and and cons in both cases but I think fitting a team to your style requires a certain amount of depth of talent, which we obviously do not have.  Our top tier players are significantly better than the players right behind them in the pecking order.  In these cases I think you need to to create a style that plays to the strengths of your best players.

I love Twellman's ability to break stories but I am ready to throw something at the tv if he mentions even one more time how Tyler Adams should be playing RB for the US.

Between Dest, Yedlin and Cannon, we have our youngest and deepest position on the field.

Compare that depth to Trapp, Bradley and Yueill.  

It should not even be a question where Adams is going to improve the team the most.

I love Twellman's ability to break stories but I am ready to throw something at the tv if he mentions even one more time how Tyler Adams should be playing RB for the US.

Between Dest, Yedlin and Cannon, we have our youngest and deepest position on the field.

Compare that depth to Trapp, Bradley and Yueill.  

It should not even be a question where Adams is going to improve the team the most.
But you forgot about roldan.

But you forgot about roldan.
I talk a lot of crap about Roldan but that is more related to playing him in one of the advanced roles that Weston and lletget played last night.    I think he would be half way decent depth at the 6 (not a starter but I don't think any worse than Trapp to be honest).

How has Sergeant progressed this year?  I don't recall much defensive work in his last USMNT appearances. 

Users who are viewing this thread