What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (15 Viewers)

How has Sergeant progressed this year?  I don't recall much defensive work in his last USMNT appearances. 
He puts in a shift defensively- smartly covering passing lanes, and working hard. The system suits his apparent strengths maybe less than zardoz, and he never seems to get clicking playing by himself (to me, he's been better working in combinations). The kid has really good skills and tactical smarts (zardoz is a smart player too, imo) and lacks some of zardozs innate athleticism. The progress I've seen has been an increase in comfort level playing with and against grown men. Haven't seen a real uptick in his play for the US tbh. But something's working in Germany, or he wouldn't be starting and/or getting minutes and goals. I haven't seen any of his games there so can't really comment otherwise.

He puts in a shift defensively- smartly covering passing lanes, and working hard. The system suits his apparent strengths maybe less than zardoz, and he never seems to get clicking playing by himself (to me, he's been better working in combinations). The kid has really good skills and tactical smarts (zardoz is a smart player too, imo) and lacks some of zardozs innate athleticism. The progress I've seen has been an increase in comfort level playing with and against grown men. Haven't seen a real uptick in his play for the US tbh. But something's working in Germany, or he wouldn't be starting and/or getting minutes and goals. I haven't seen any of his games there so can't really comment otherwise.
Thanks.  I haven't watched hm in Europe either.  I'm going to stop bagging on him based on his USMNT play.  Also he's young enough to make huge improvements over the next 3-4 years.

Why do out players dominate in Germany but suck on the USMNT?  I assume the answer starts and ends with a G.

Thanks.  I haven't watched hm in Europe either.  I'm going to stop bagging on him based on his USMNT play.  Also he's young enough to make huge improvements over the next 3-4 years.

Why do out players dominate in Germany but suck on the USMNT?  I assume the answer starts and ends with a G.
Just looked him up at Whoscored, and he's played a bit over half of Bremen's minutes so far (10 games; 535/~950) with two goals, two assists and a rating of 6.61.  That's solid for a 19 year old in his first season in a Big-4 league, but obviously lots of room to grow.

the Jordan Morris goal gives him 8 for the US now, tied with Reyna, Ramos and Pope (one hell of a cluster :) )

Zardes two goals gives him 18, tied with Mathis and Klopas.

Morris also had an assist giving him 8, which ties him with Germany Jones, Hugo Perez and Jeff Agoos.

8 for the US now, tied with Reyna, Ramos
I don't remember the early years of Ramos's USMNT career, but if you want to build a case against Reyna you could start here.  He wasn't some deep-lying #6.  And he wasn't great defensively either.  He was super skilled when the US didn't have a lot of skill and kept the ball moving, but there were holes in his game.

He has one bad game and you’re ready to shovel dirt on him. :lol:  

I get the frustration with this team, but we need some Aaron Rodgers therapy. 
I was drunk last night and obviously let it get the best of me.  I know Weston is one of our more skilled players.  Schalke plays him all over the field and he works everywhere for them.

It’s frustrating because he’s had a few bad games now lately, but I’m inclined to believe it’s GGG’s influence more than anything.  Just like with Pulisic it seems Gregg’s system gets the least out of our best players.

Ever since Pulisic emerged as the modern day equivalent of Donovan, I have been wondering when a Dempsey like (confident, cocky, eff you type attitude) figure would emerge and I always assumed it would be an attacking forward, but the more I watch and listen to Dest, I think he is going to fill that lineage nicely.

Yesterday he was asked about his guarantee that the team would not lose to Canada.   He totally deadpanned it by saying "some people did not like me saying that........  I don't care"

:wub:

• Love
Reactions: Ned
Canada’s defensive lapses flattered our setup.  

This is a stupid thought, but with the way Davies controlled whichever side he was on, I wonder if better setup is CP positioned slightly farther back at a more definitive R/LM position against CONCACAF teams in a 4-4-2.  The added benefit is it gets a Jozy/Sargent (when healthy) partnership up top which is something I would like to see.

I still think jozy's best potential strike partner is weah. His speed and ability to make runs could help recreate the jozy-charlie Davies era. (God that was too long ago)

I don't remember the early years of Ramos's USMNT career, but if you want to build a case against Reyna you could start here.  He wasn't some deep-lying #6.  And he wasn't great defensively either.  He was super skilled when the US didn't have a lot of skill and kept the ball moving, but there were holes in his game.
You mean like falling down while on the ball and letting Ghana score a goal early to s-can all chances of getting out of group in WC2006?

Canada’s defensive lapses flattered our setup.  

This is a stupid thought, but with the way Davies controlled whichever side he was on, I wonder if better setup is CP positioned slightly farther back at a more definitive R/LM position against CONCACAF teams in a 4-4-2.  The added benefit is it gets a Jozy/Sargent (when healthy) partnership up top which is something I would like to see.
A quality attacking midfielder can do damage in that position in that formation. The keys are that they need the freedom to cut inside and have the central midfielder on that side stay at home and cover the space vacated, and it also helps to have a dangerous fullback that can overlap along the sideline as the oppositon keys on the wide midfileder. Might be a interesting setup with CP in front of Dest on the right. The center back must also be able to boss the space in front of the box, cutting off potential counter attacks.

Just another indication of how massive this game is for Canada (Panama is in a world of hurt if they don't upset Mexico tonight).

==============

Duane Rollins

@24thminute

Live @Concacaf rankings following last night's play:

5th Honduras 1368

6th Canada 1339

7th El Salvador 1336

8th Curacao 1313

9th Panama 1310
El Salvador got an injury time winner last night.  That winner coupled with Canada's loss, should flip the two positions putting ELS in the hex as of now.

I read a very rough German translation of an injury update to Adams.  I have no idea whether to feel better or worse but heer is what I learned.

While rehabbing, Adams picked up a foot injury.  This injury caused him to get pubic bone inflammation.  They need to cure the inflammation before Adams can make any progress.

A doctor in Germany has stated there is a method to reduce the inflammation much faster than in the past and they will be using that on Adams.

========

At this point, if Adams is back for the hex, I will be happy :(

I read a very rough German translation of an injury update to Adams.  I have no idea whether to feel better or worse but heer is what I learned.

While rehabbing, Adams picked up a foot injury.  This injury caused him to get pubic bone inflammation.  They need to cure the inflammation before Adams can make any progress.

A doctor in Germany has stated there is a method to reduce the inflammation much faster than in the past and they will be using that on Adams.

========

At this point, if Adams is back for the hex, I will be happy :(
Did he stick his foot up his ###?

Did he stick his foot up his ###?
:)

From what little I could understand, I think because of the injury to his foot, he started to compensate during rehab which helped cause the inflammation.

I believe the inflammation is related to his original injury as well which was an abductor injury which in itself is an inflammation near the hips.

David Ochoa is the talented U20 keeper for the US.  He currently plays for Real Monarchs in the USL where he just won the championship tonight.

With Rimando retiring this year, it might be perfect timing for him to move up to RSL next season, which if he could get time would be fantastic at his young age for a keeper.

David Ochoa is the talented U20 keeper for the US.  He currently plays for Real Monarchs in the USL where he just won the championship tonight.

With Rimando retiring this year, it might be perfect timing for him to move up to RSL next season, which if he could get time would be fantastic at his young age for a keeper.
Could be, but wasn't he the kid that ManU looked at as well?  His career might be headed oversees sooner rather than later.

Could be, but wasn't he the kid that ManU looked at as well?  His career might be headed oversees sooner rather than later.
He trained with multiple clubs last winter.  Man United was one of them.  I believe he also trained in Germany and either France or Spain.

Our keepers have not had good luck going over too young.  I would prefer he gets some real minutes in a first division for a few years and go over in early to mid 20's.   With MLS spending the vast majority of its budget on offensive players, young MLS keepers can get a really good on the job experience.

But if some Euro team wants to give $3-$6m for him then he has to go and we will just keep our fingers crossed.

He's going to have some competition for that RSL spot soon.  I can't say more than that.

Here is a quick summary for what tomorrow night's result means.

*Three of the four semi finalists are now set.  Honduras, Mexico, and Costa Rica are all in.

*The US will be the 4th team if they beat Cuba by any margin.

*If we assume that Mexico at least gets a draw against Bermuda at home, the GD in the US game is meaningless for the final standings and we can state the semi final match ups.

*Assuming at least Mexico draw and a US win tomorrow night, the semi finals will be:

Mexico vs CR

Honduras vs US

These will be single games, so the US will have to travel to Honduras for the semi finals, which will be an excellent look at just how tough the hex will be.

ELS host the Domincan Republic tomorrow night.  A win for El Salvador gives them a strangle hold on the last hex spot. From what I have read it may be impossible for Canada to make up the points through only friendlies.

From a US point of view I look at ELS similar to many Concacaf teams.  The US should beat them handily by 4 or 5 at home and then the game will be extremely hard in El Salvador.

This is information taken from an Italian media source.

=============

@FutureUsmnt

Serie A club Fiorentina have made 2 offers for Gianluca Busio. The Sporting KC midfielder has also been linked to Manchester United, Inter, and several other European clubs. Sporting value him at 10 million dollars, while Fiorentina's offers have been between 3-4 million

=============

@FutureUsmnt

Serie A club Fiorentina have made 2 offers for Gianluca Busio. The Sporting KC midfielder has also been linked to Manchester United, Inter, and several other European clubs. Sporting value him at 10 million dollars, while Fiorentina's offers have been between 3-4 million
Sad but glad for him and our academy.

• Smile
Sad but glad for him and our academy.
It is sad that you'll probably not get to see him feature much for KC, but if they can get anywhere near $10M for him, that'd be an enormous boost for the academy.  Used right you could start seeing a lot more talent start coming through there.

I am hoping the ten in not firm as there are very few who are going to pay that for a player Busio's age especially as a Yank.  I am hoping for something between $4-$5 with either a sell on or the bonus structure that they built in to Scally's deal if he does well.

NewlyRetired said:

=============

@FutureUsmnt

I think he's gone in January.  Remember he has an Italian passport.  

==============

Inter Miami CF announced today it has signed  forward Jerome Kiesewetter.   

The 26-year-old German American dual national joins after playing one season with USL Championship side El Paso Locomotive FC.   

“Jerome brings speed, athleticism and experience to our roster,” said Inter Miami CF Sporting Director Paul McDonough. “We are pleased to bring him to Inter Miami and begin working with him in preseason.”   

Kiesewetter has been an active member of the U.S. Men’s National Team since 2011. He made two senior team appearances in 2016 at 22, coming on as a substitute in friendlies against Iceland and Canada. He made over 30 appearances for the U.S. MNT’s U-18, U-20, U-23 and senior squad, with eight goals across his national career.  

I have a close cyber contact who has some inside information on the Dallas academy system.  He told me recently that the best prospect in the system is 13 year old Dante Sealy.

Hardcore MLS fans may remember T&T player Scot Sealy who had a decent run in MLS.   When Sealy was playing in Dallas, he became father to Dante and Dante stayed in Texas where he was put in the FC Dallas system extremely young.  He has progressed all the way up to the US U14 National Team.

I was watching the US U16 game today against Turkey where Dante Sealy (see above) stood out.

He scored a brace in the 3-2 win over the U17's from Turkey.

We may want to keep this one in mind for the future. 

One of the very young kids who is starting to play in the USL this year is Moses Nyeman.  He is only 15.   He looks very comfortable on the ball against adults here in what I think is only his second pro game ever.   He is from DC United's system and plays for Loudan United in the USL Championship (1 division lower than MLS).

https://twitter.com/i/status/1151917219800080386

The other player who stood out for the U16's was Moses Nyeman (see above).   Wonderfully calm on the ball, he acts as almost a metronome for the players around him.

Trying to project either of these players is hard but for completely different reasons.

*Dante is physically advanced for his age.   Strong, big, fast, he looks like he can physically dominate players 2 years older than he is.  But we all know this is a can of worms since if he stops growing and other players catch up physically, where does this leave him?  His foot skills don't jump off the screen but to be fair I only watched about 1.5 games of him so far.

*Moses is the exact opposite.  His soccer IQ is very advanced for his age and his technique is solid but he is microscopic in size even when compared to players his own age.  I don't know if that will eventually catch up to him.  His mobility looks good though so if he can keep a certain level of quickness, his size won't matter too much.

As a side note, with the win today the U16's have a chance to win the tournament.  Holland's U17 has to win their game tonight by 2 to get past the U16's into first.   

• Smile
As a side note, with the win today the U16's have a chance to win the tournament.  Holland's U17 has to win their game tonight by 2 to get past the U16's into first.  
The US U17's did their kid brothers a favor by drawing 2-2 with Holland which gives the US U16's the tournament win.

The U17's finished 3rd with a 1-1-1 record, Holland finished second.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Not US related but still a very interesting story considering they are the closest comp to MLS

================================

@mexicoworldcup

'Tata' Martino will be talking to Liga MX owners to see if there is a way of reducing the number of foreign players in the league ... concern that players from the 3 U-17 WC finals in eight years won't be given opportunities

Kiesewetter has been an active member of the U.S. Men’s National Team since 2011.
This is probably stretching the truth.  Not exactly a big time first signing.  
This is the guy I had pegged as making the jump from yutes to men...iirc, he was in the same he's class as nips? who I liked as well, but rated below Jerome. Thought Jerome had all the attacking aggression and skills, but was a stronger athlete. But The swetter's career has certainly stalled...and I only recall him playing once or twice for the men...so yeah- :goodposting: re stretching the truth.

I'm still hopeful that he can at least be a serviceable pro for MLS , with potential for a high ceiling 

NewlyRetired said:
These will be single games, so the US will have to travel to Honduras for the semi finals, which will be an excellent look at just how tough the hex will be.
Winning a match like that seems like the best case scenario to get something meaningful out of this tournament.

Obviously any game against Mexico would be huge but if we want to avoid a repeat of last cycle we need to win a match like Honduras away.

Winning a match like that seems like the best case scenario to get something meaningful out of this tournament.

Obviously any game against Mexico would be huge but if we want to avoid a repeat of last cycle we need to win a match like Honduras away.
I agree.  And if they do win that game, it will be followed by a likely away game in Mexico just a few days later for the final. 

@USMNT

With goals in 2019, should @A_LoLo12 (Aaron Long) score another tonight, he would tie the record for most goals by a #USMNT defender in a calendar year which is jointly held by @AlexiLalas (1993), @MarceloBalboa17 (1994) and @BocaBoca3 (2003).

@USMNT

With goals in 2019, should @A_LoLo12 (Aaron Long) score another tonight, he would tie the record for most goals by a #USMNT defender in a calendar year which is jointly held by @AlexiLalas (1993), @MarceloBalboa17 (1994) and @BocaBoca3 (2003).
If I were GGG, I'd cut him for that handle.  :no:  

Users who are viewing this thread