Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Premier

US Men's National Team

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

This is probably my favorite youth player.  He has a soccer IQ few Americans have had, especially at his age.  He just turned 16 so this training chance in the off season is going to be important for his continued development.

==========

D.C. United

@dcunited

Homegrown Midfielder Moses Nyeman is training with the Borussia Dortmund U-19's in the German Bundesliga this offseason

He's also Liberian right?  Can he get an early visa to play in Europe or is he stuck waiting until 18?

21 minutes ago, encaitar said:

He's also Liberian right?  Can he get an early visa to play in Europe or is he stuck waiting until 18?

yes he was born in Liberia and moved to the US at a young age.  I don't think he holds a Euro passport via that birth but I don't really understand the rules.

I am hopeful he might get his first pro minutes with DC next MLS season.

I noticed the wiki stated that while Moses has played for the US U16 team, he can not yet represent the US in official games so he must still have some citizenship issues to finalize.

Edited by NewlyRetired

Had Chelsea up on the second monitor at the office.... Pulisic once again played great.  Wasn't involved in any of the scoring, but his movement helped create the space for the first one and he was involved in the build up for their second.

His close control was amazing this game.  Ball stuck to his feet like glue.  A little bit of luck, or a little less outstanding play by Villa's keeper and he'd have had 1 or 2 and a couple of assists tonight.  Once again, hope his form continues.

Edited by encaitar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, encaitar said:

Had Chelsea up on the second monitor at the office.... Pulisic once again played great.  Wasn't involved in any of the scoring, but his movement helped create the space for the first one and he was involved in the build up for their second.

His close control was amazing this game.  Ball stuck to his feet like glue.  A little bit of luck, or a little less outstanding play by Villa's keeper and he'd have had 1 or 2 and a couple of assists tonight.  Once again, hope his form continues.

I watched second half only but he looked strong in those 45 minutes.  You could see his hunger for a goal.

I might be watching with a strong Pulisic bias but Mount continually refuses to make passes that would put him through on goal.  It does not help my perspective that I think Mount is a significant c-unt.  He #####es at everyone and never seems to enjoy a team mate scoring.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Usually most coaches will not fan the flames of hype around a young player but Lampard seems as enamored as the rest of us

=========================================================

“Really impressed,” Lampard said, via Football.London. “I think he is playing really well. Since he came into the team, at Burnley got those goals and carried on with his form. He can score more but we’ve got a player in Christian that is really exciting and when you see this type of player in the modern day and you see their quality.

“He has got the ability to go on to the extra level, which is the top level of world football. At the minute he is doing really well and I hope he keeps that up.”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I watched second half only but he looked strong in those 45 minutes.  You could see his hunger for a goal.

I might be watching with a strong Pulisic bias but Mount continually refuses to make passes that would put him through on goal.  It does not help my perspective that I think Mount is a significant c-unt.  He #####es at everyone and never seems to enjoy a team mate scoring.

I don't know if it's purposeful(I hope not), but Mount had multiple opportunities in the second half to play Pulisic in and chose not to.  I "hope" it's just him not being aware, but if it's purposeful, then Mount needs to be sat down.... permanently.  Personal grudges/rivalries have zero business in the EPL.

5 hours ago, encaitar said:
13 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I don't know if it's purposeful(I hope not), but Mount had multiple opportunities in the second half to play Pulisic in and chose not to.  I "hope" it's just him not being aware, but if it's purposeful, then Mount needs to be sat down.... permanently.  Personal grudges/rivalries have zero business in the EPL.

Mount and Hudson ohboy (but especially mount) have similar games in the final third where they want to drive forward and primarily go for goal. I've noticed this lead to extra touches on their part and less vision for slashing teammates who might be in better situations- particularly CPs crafty little runs. I guessed that this was a lampard directive to attack the goal on their part more than them being inherently selfish or carrying a grudge (is there a record of a grudge with mount?). It also could be that they lack the vision of a tip top guy to be able to drive at goal AND see the runners.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 7:14 AM, Ned said:
On 11/17/2019 at 11:24 PM, NewlyRetired said:

David Ochoa is the talented U20 keeper for the US.  He currently plays for Real Monarchs in the USL where he just won the championship tonight.

With Rimando retiring this year, it might be perfect timing for him to move up to RSL next season, which if he could get time would be fantastic at his young age for a keeper.

He's going to have some competition for that RSL spot soon.  I can't say more than that.

This ended up being a false alarm.  John McCarthy signed with Inter Miami instead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ned said:

This ended up being a false alarm.  John McCarthy signed with Inter Miami instead.

I think that is where Luis Robles signed as well.

• Like 1

Sounds like he may not be back until after winter break

========

SV Werder Bremen EN

@werderbremen_en

Bad news @joshsargent will be out until after Christmas with a muscle strain

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I think that is where Luis Robles signed as well.

I get why they let him go...sorta... But hate that they did (Ryan Meara is fine, but not at Robles level) and that he went elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I get why they let him go...sorta... But hate that they did (Ryan Meara is fine, but not at Robles level) and that he went elsewhere. 

And he stayed in the East, so the RB's are still gonna have to verse him.

I tried posting a BBC article from work about 3 n American players, Alvarez, Gio and Canadian Hunter. Didn't work, apparently.

7 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I warned you.....

But still, you are right.......

:wall:

I was wondering how long it would take for Tab to start airing dirty laundry.  Just a little over 30 days.  I fear this is just the beginning of the airing of grievances.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

I was wondering how long it would take for Tab to start airing dirty laundry.  Just a little over 30 days.  I fear this is just the beginning of the airing of grievances.

It still amazes me (and to his credit to be honest) how Klinsmann has taken the high road all this time. 

Can you imagine the fall out if they name Berhalter as CEO? 

The best I can tell is that the entire upper echelon of the federation is almost tone deaf.

Edited by NewlyRetired

22 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Damn.  He started early.  It's not even Festivus yet.

So... Weahs back in training. Yay. Sarge has been shut down until end of winter break (groin issue picked up with US). Boo. And I'm sure jozy got hurt tweeting out this workout pics with tennis wife.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:12 PM, NewlyRetired said:

yes he was born in Liberia and moved to the US at a young age.  I don't think he holds a Euro passport via that birth but I don't really understand the rules.

I am hopeful he might get his first pro minutes with DC next MLS season.

That’s the buzz. That DC has no interest in selling and that he will be with the first team. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Resurgent?

They just don't get it.

@USMNT: In a resurgent year for the #USMNT, @gyasinho led the 🇺🇸 with a career high 6️⃣ goals in 2019. 

Making the case for Gyasi Zardes as @ussoccer Male Player of the Year>> http://ussoc.cr/POTM https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/1202989636257271813/video/1

It was such a poor year for the program I guess it fits that the nominees for player of the year are also going to be poor. 

Zardes was not the only head scratcher, they some how squeezed in a nomination for Ream too.

I've gone out and kicked around the last couple weekends. I'm very disappointed I wasn't selected as a nominee

Just now, NewlyRetired said:

It was such a poor year for the program I guess it fits that the nominees for player of the year are also going to be poor. 

Zardes was not the only head scratcher, they some how squeezed in a nomination for Ream too.

Most positive spin they could honestly put on it is to call it a transition year.

Just now, El Floppo said:

I've gone out and kicked around the last couple weekends. I'm very disappointed I wasn't selected as a nominee

we're disappointed you weren't selected as well.

• Thanks 1

This is basically CPs award for the next decade. Unless something really good or really bad happens.

Just now, JaxBill said:

Most positive spin they could honestly put on it is to call it a transition year.

That would have worked better for me if the coach at the beginning of the year stated we are going with the youth only and while that may lead to some rough results, we need to plan for the future.

But we all know he kept plugging in too many vets and yet still was not able to avoid many poor results.

I just hope we can have a healthy 2020 because it gets real starting next summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, El Floppo said:

This is basically CPs award for the next decade. Unless something really good or really bad happens.

I am too lazy to look it up but if the award is based on play for US Soccer only (and not club play), I don't think he deserves it this year to be honest.

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

I am too lazy to look it up but if the award is based on play for US Soccer only (and not club play), I don't think he deserves it this year to be honest.

Oh... Good point. I don't remember either.

Lol at "resurgent". Some 24 year old that majored in Social Media really dropped the ball on that one.

What a clown show. 

This is best read while hearing the Benny Hill theme in your head (for you youngins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg )

=============

@JeffreyCarlisle

USSF president Carlos Cordeiro says search committee for CEO spent all of yesterday interviewing candidates, including one from abroad. There are also men and woman candidates

Emmy stays with ATL...I think transferred, not on loan?

Not too relevant, I guess...but I always liked his game and hope he can improve it.

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Emmy stays with ATL...I think transferred, not on loan?

Not too relevant, I guess...but I always liked his game and hope he can improve it.

correct.  They converted the loan to a full transfer.

35 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Pulisic had a fantastic half against terrible defenders.

Short day for Pulisic but he could use some rest.  Nice to see a standing ovation for him when he was subbed.  Excellent game from him again.

• Like 1

Champions League Wrap Ups for Yanks

Pulisic through to knock out rounds

Marsch came in 3rd, headed to Europa League

Weah (injured) is out of Europe

Adams (injured) is through to knock out rounds

Dest came in 3rd, headed to Europa League

4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

For only coming in 3rd, Marsch gained a lot of fans for his coaching style.  As a fan, I love the high press, and would love to see him implement this for the Nats in the run up to 2026.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/in-depth/jesse-marsch-praised-after-red-bull-salzburgs-champions-league-loss-to-liverpool/

I wish I had posted the nyrb insider video of him gameplanning with players...amazing how clear the instructions were and how well they were implemented. I'm a possession fan, but he converted me in those few minutes on tape.

ETA... Iirc I DID post a link 

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1

Article in the Guardian (British tabloid, I think) about CP...

“Personality” was the buzzword that Lampard invoked in advance of the game. This could be read in one of several ways. Maybe Lampard was challenging his side’s mettle.

Maybe, with the January window looming, he was trying to ##### a few egos. Or perhaps he was simply appealing to their expressive side: an entreaty to keep inventing, even with the stakes at their highest. In which case he will have been quietly impressed with one player in particular.

Christian Pulisic did not score or assist a goal. He made just 19 passes and saw far less of the ball than the busy Willian on the opposite flank.

And in many ways this has always been the major criticism of him: that for a player of such natural gifts he is rarely as straightforwardly impactful as he should be. But here he demonstrated what he does best: running a game without – for the most part – appearing to do much of interest at all.

Partly, of course, this is simply the nature of the creative midfielder. The creator needs to play on the off-beats, to feel the game on a different wavelength from everyone else. In the modern game this is a doubly difficult task, because as well as attacking to a syncopated rhythm, the creator is also usually required to defend to a conventional one.

Like Eden Hazard, the man he was putatively signed to replace, Pulisic likes to start outside the defender’s eyeline, whether cutting in from the right flank as he did at Borussia Dortmund or on the left as he does at Chelsea.

Edited by El Floppo

16 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Pulisic had a fantastic half against terrible defenders.

Carried it past defenders five times in 62 minutes, I read.  That's his super power IMO.  It's amazing how easy he makes it look to carry the ball past grown men paid a lot of money to stop him.  World class in that area.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

For only coming in 3rd, Marsch gained a lot of fans for his coaching style.  As a fan, I love the high press, and would love to see him implement this for the Nats in the run up to 2026.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/in-depth/jesse-marsch-praised-after-red-bull-salzburgs-champions-league-loss-to-liverpool/

Don't know if you saw it, but Klopp was clapping as he walked towards Marsch to shake hands after the game, and had some really nice things to say in the presser as well.

It did feel like a heavyweight fight until the 2nd goal -- both sides throwing bombs at each other.  Liverpool needed to play well to win.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I wonder if he'd bring the MF diamond to the USMNT.