What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (11 Viewers)

Now let's get swag healthy. 

When's the next us game? Before or after Feb?
I don't think any are scheduled (yet?).  I am assuming they are having the normal winter, MLS based players, camp but I don't know for sure.  The next game listed on US Soccer is not until the Dutch friendly in late March.

Interesting.....

=======

Future USMNT

In an unexpected twist of events, Konrad de la Fuente has turned down Barcelona’s latest contract offer and could leave the club in January. Several reports have linked him to Jurgen Klinsmann’s Hertha Berlin

Some website put together a US team of the decade. One obvious head scratcher.

Timmeh

dolo    Omar.  Cameron.   Dmb

Deuce  Germany. Caillou

LD.    Jozy.    CP
Omar is obviously a big WTF, especially with Boca not listed.

I thought Dolo was a mistake as I assumed most of his career with the US was done by the turn of the decade but in looking it up he played for the US 30 times this decade.

U.S. Soccer Comms

Aiming to announce both the @USWNT and @USMNT rosters soon. Likely diff days, w/@USWNT first and @USMNT a few days later. Once exact days locked, we'll share in advance before we officially announce. And we'll share next @USMNT opponent at the same time.

U.S. Soccer Comms

Aiming to announce both the @USWNT and @USMNT rosters soon. Likely diff days, w/@USWNT first and @USMNT a few days later. Once exact days locked, we'll share in advance before we officially announce. And we'll share next @USMNT opponent at the same time.
This is camp MLS cupcake, right?

Some website put together a US team of the decade. One obvious head scratcher.

Timmeh

dolo    Omar.  Cameron.   Dmb

Deuce  Germany. Caillou

LD.    Jozy.    CP
I know you're probably talking about Omar, but honestly who else do you choose?  Brooks is hurt for every international break.  Besler(maybe should've been the choice) hasn't featured in 5 years....  God our team sucks.

Even more glaring.... LD hasn't played for the USMNT since 2013 essentially.  It's crazy that he's still considered team of the decade.

And here I thought it was crazy to have three CMFs Manning the MF (one of whom rounded out to be more of a forward).

But ok...encaitar- can have... ching/ej/??? Instead of LD

And here I thought it was crazy to have three CMFs Manning the MF (one of whom rounded out to be more of a forward).

But ok...encaitar- can have... ching/ej/??? Instead of LD
Not Ching.  He only played twice in the decade, he was done in 2010.

If not LD, the choices are slim.  I think it comes down to a yikes choice of three of EJ, Zardes and Morris.

As for the midfielders, the team could easily be shown as a 4-2-3-1, like this which would be the best setup for that group imo.

....................Timmy

Cher.......Omar......Cam.....Dmb

.............Bradley.....Germany

Ld................Dempsey..........Pulisic

..................Jozy

If not LD, the choices are slim.  I think it comes down to a yikes choice of three of EJ, Zardes and Morris.

As for the midfielders, the team could easily be shown as a 4-2-3-1, like this which would be the best setup for that group imo.

..................Jozy
For the love of God put Boca or even Brooks in there.

But yes...I like that setup a lot. And that team with everybody at peak would be pretty amazing.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

..................Jozy
Replace Omar with Boca, have everyone in their prime and a competent bench and coach(this is possible right?), this team, with luck, could make a WC semi final imo.

Btw...I said ching but was thinking window, who's name my brain has tried to eradicate. 

Lol at the auto correct which I'll leave.

Ok this is either good news or disturbing news, not sure which. @CletiusMaximusany idea what is going on here? This was Pulisic's response to a yahoo report saying Pulisic was injured for the last game and had missed training.

=========

@cpulisic_10

Replying to

@FCYahoo and @JPW_NBCSports

100% healthy but thank you guys for the concern

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thinking
The U.S. Soccer Federation announced its plans for a U.S. men's national team training camp in early 2020, concluding with a Feb. 1 friendly against Costa Rica at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, Calif.

The bulk of the training camp will take place in Qatar, the host country for the 2022 World Cup. The U.S. will begin the camp at the Aspire Academy in Doha starting on Jan. 5, and will hold practices and closed-door scrimmages against other teams training in Qatar during the Americans' three-week stay. Dutch side Ajax will be in the country during the U.S.'s time in the country but there has been no confirmation that they will be one of the scrimmage opponents.

"Our priority is to qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar, so it's certainly a big benefit to get a head start on experiencing the facilities, environment and culture of the tournament hosts," said U.S. manager Gregg Berhalter.

The U.S. will travel to Los Angeles on Jan. 25 ahead of the match against a Costa Rica side which has an all-time record of 16-16-5 against the Americans. The last meeting between the two teams came in 2019, when both teams fielded alternative sides in a 2-0 U.S. victory. The last competitive match involving the two teams took place in 2017, a 2-0 World Cup qualifying defeat for the U.S. team that played a significant part in their failure to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

"The chance to play against a likely World Cup qualifying opponent is fantastic," Berhalter added. "As we continue to develop, it's important to challenge our group against a variety of different opponents. At the end of a January camp, we want the players to have a chance to put all the work to the test."

The roster, to be announced later on Monday, will likely be comprised almost entirely of MLS players, who are currently in their offseason. The hope is that the camp will allow those players to get a head start on what will be a critical year for the U.S. men's program. The Americans will take on Honduras in the semifinals of the CONCACAF Nations League in June, while World Cup qualifying is set to begin in September.

The U.S. will also play a pair of games during the March international window, with a friendly against European power Netherlands scheduled for March 26.

This is pretty cool.  If Stuggart can get promoted, that would be awesome to have an America coaching in the Bundesliga.

=======

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

New Jersey native Pellegrino Matarazzo has been named head coach of Stuttgart (3rd place, 2.Bundesliga). He joins Salzburg's Jesse Marsch and Zwickau's Joe Enochs as American born & raised head coaches in Europe.

Ok this is either good news or disturbing news, not sure which. @CletiusMaximusany idea what is going on here? This was Pulisic's response to a yahoo report saying Pulisic was injured for the last game and had missed training.

=========

@cpulisic_10

Replying to

I wouldn't want to read anything in to this, but would say its a little bit irresponsible for the young man to send this tweet.  Not cool imo.

I wouldn't want to read anything in to this, but would say its a little bit irresponsible for the young man to send this tweet.  Not cool imo.
Best case: He was slightly hurt but now feels great and is just letting every one know he is back to training.

Worst case: He was never hurt and the report of him being injured was manufactured to keep people from knowing he was dropped from the squad that day.

Ok this is either good news or disturbing news, not sure which.

=========

@cpulisic_10

Replying to

Seems like it could be a situation where CP tells team staff that he's good to go and they say well we are just going to be cautious. Nothing to see here imo (yet).

Best case: He was slightly hurt but now feels great and is just letting every one know he is back to training.

Worst case: He was never hurt and the report of him being injured was manufactured to keep people from knowing he was dropped from the squad that day.
I hate these rumor situations and believe they are almost always blown out of proportion, but would say its going to be a concern if he doesn't start against Brighton on Wednesday.  The only explanation is that defending has been a much bigger concern than attacking for Lampard's team, and that doesn't seem to be Pulisic's strength.  At the same time, his attacking has been so far superior to other options the club has (Willian being perhaps on the same level), I can't imagine why he would not even make the bench if healthy.

I hate these rumor situations and believe they are almost always blown out of proportion, but would say its going to be a concern if he doesn't start against Brighton on Wednesday.  The only explanation is that defending has been a much bigger concern than attacking for Lampard's team, and that doesn't seem to be Pulisic's strength.  At the same time, his attacking has been so far superior to other options the club has (Willian being perhaps on the same level), I can't imagine why he would not even make the bench if healthy.
I don't care as much about starting as just seeing him on the squad.  I know he can't, and probably shouldn't, be starting every game.  But I can't understand, outside of injury, being dropped from the squad in a league game.

GOALKEEPERS (4): Bill Hamid (D.C. United; 6/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 8/0), JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (8): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy; 0/0), Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 10/0), Chase Gasper (Minnesota United FC; 0/0), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 16/3), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 11/2)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Christian Cappis (Hobro/DEN; 0/0), Bryang Kayo (Unattached; 0/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 13/2), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; 1/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 19/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 6/0)

FORWARDS (6): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 32/5), Jesus Ferreira (FC Dallas; 0/0), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; 5/0), Ulysses Llanez (Wolfsburg/GER; 0/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 39/10), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 55/12)

• Smile
GOALKEEPERS (4): Bill Hamid (D.C. United; 6/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 8/0), JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (8): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy; 0/0), Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 10/0), Chase Gasper (Minnesota United FC; 0/0), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 16/3), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 11/2)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Christian Cappis (Hobro/DEN; 0/0), Bryang Kayo (Unattached; 0/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 13/2), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; 1/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 19/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 6/0)

FORWARDS (6): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 32/5), Jesus Ferreira (FC Dallas; 0/0), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; 5/0), Ulysses Llanez (Wolfsburg/GER; 0/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 39/10), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 55/12)
Fun group.

* Looks like Paxton is healthy after surgery

* Great to see Uly getting a look

* Arauju being included is as pleasant as Lovitz being left off is

* Jesus getting called at his very first opportunity.

Cappis with out Sabbi is a bit head scratching though. 

People have been mentioning Sabbi is on the market for a bigger team this winter so maybe they decided to just let him sort that out instead (just a guess)
Lol...I was thinking of sabbi, not Cappis.. Even though I'm interested in him too.

Lol...I was thinking of sabbi, not Cappis.. Even though I'm interested in him too.
I am thinking that we might not see any of the Euro based guys at the friendly against Costa Rica.  I bet they stay just for the camp and then return to their teams when the US flies back to LA.

Makes sense given they are starting early to prepare for the CCL

=======================

[Rob Usry] - "Can confirm via a team spokesperson that #ATLUTD denied to release Miles Robinson, Brad Guzan and Brooks Lennon for the #USMNT January camp. The team has preseason opening very soon and CCL in mid-February."

Bryang Kayo is probably a brand new name to most.  He is the youngest on the roster at only 17.   He came up through DC United's academy.  He played for the US U17's.

I am unsure why he is considered unattached.  I assume he wants to make the move to Europe when he turns 18 and needs to stay out of contract to move easily.

Here is a highlight of one game he played in the USL this summer.  He looks like he needs to still grow into his frame but he is a bundle of energy for a tall player.  He reminds me a little of Sharlrie Joseph from back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q75rPNiivAo

• Thanks
Bryang Kayo is probably a brand new name to most.  He is the youngest on the roster at only 17.   He came up through DC United's academy.  He played for the US U17's.

I am unsure why he is considered unattached.  I assume he wants to make the move to Europe when he turns 18 and needs to stay out of contract to move easily.

Here is a highlight of one game he played in the USL this summer.  He looks like he needs to still grow into his frame but he is a bundle of energy for a tall player.  He reminds me a little of Sharlrie Joseph from back in the day.

Arms and Legs everywhere.

He's got really good quickness for a guy who's not grown into his body yet.  His vision is incredible though.  He seems to instinctively make the right pass and the weight on his passes is perfect.  Definitely one to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread